Merial

José Barella

Compassionate animal lovers

Procurement (Former Employee)
    Duluth, GA

ProsCompassionate animal lovers. People care about their work and their customers. Strive for excellence. Mostly not very high stress environment.

ConsNot much opportunity for growth. Best career opportunities are in sales or in science.

Great people to work with, great atmosphere

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)
    Duluth, GA

Prosgreat atmosphere, no micro managing, u truly have to perform and do your work.. everyone is helpful and kind. flexible, telecommute..

Consnot much process in play...not enough cubes for new hire... took along time to get a working laptop...

Advice to Senior Managementthe manager I worked for was great...

Misogyny at it's finest, all hail old boys club

ProsProducts are great, other employees are awesome

ConsThe upper management is all men. They only promote their own and their favorites. It is sad to watch women work twice as hard and not be rewarded.

Advice to Senior ManagementCLEAN house

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to get hands on learning with Vmware and to work with a great group of people

Windows Systems Administrator (Former Employee)
    Duluth, GA

ProsAs a Contractor I was always meeting new people which gave me a name to put with a face.
    In doing so it made it when I was sending out mass emails I knew who these people were that i was emailing.

ConsSome of the challenges of working at merial was that people would sometimes drag there feet when it came to get things done

Disappointing, The company is in serious decline.

Manufacturing Technician (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits. The people I worked with in my department are incredibly hard working and willing to help. That's about it.

ConsMany talented people have left due in part to terrible management of day to day activities. Most systems are highly manual in nature. Many mistakes and potential problems could be avoided if investments were made to update and automate critical systems. The costs of some mistakes have been very expensive and could have been avoided. Yet management will not make changes. New projects are forced into areas that do not have the capability or the personnel to accept the increased workload. Many of the management team do not have any production floor experience or knowledge of current activities.

Performance review is another area that is rife with unfairness and favoritism. Everyone has to fit into a bell curve - so many people get a good review, so many get a bad review, and so many get an excellent review. This system places the workforce in competition with one another. If a department has 5 exceptional people, someone will most be getting a bad review no matter what. Microsoft had the same performance review system in place for many years and had to abandon it because they were losing so many good people. Same thing is happening here. I've heard performance review ratings will be changed to comply with the bell curve whether it's justified or not.

Work-Life balance is a thing of the past. People are forced to stay until the work is done. Forced to work 13-14 hrs a day, nights, weekends - doesn't matter.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company is very good at finance, sales and marketing but terrible at manufacturing. Get rid of outdated systems that force a high level of manual intervention. Take responsibility for your actions. Quit blaming the lower level workers when problems occur and give them the resources needed for success. Anything less and you are merely setting up your workforce for failure.

becoming more and more French

Atlanta, GA

Prosgood products, good reputation in the industry, good benefits

Consused to be a leading company but tough years have created a tense environment and Sanofi management has made everything more difficult. Bad employees seem to linger too long. Some functions are too lean while others continue to add headcount

Advice to Senior Managementchange is needed, don't be afraid to fire the people who are under-performing

Excellent culture and respectful environment.

Senior Developer (Former Employee)
    Duluth, GA

ProsThe Management was very professional and respectful of work life balance even though there were times of long hours.

The technologies used were the latest and the development teams and management were knowledgeable and organized.

Project expectations were not too out of line and management did a great job of insulating the development team of unnecessary stress and office politics.

The team members were extremely friendly, welcoming and supportive.

ConsDirect managers spent a significant amount of time in meetings and individual contributors had to navigate many projects and obstacles with limited direction or advice at times.

Projects needed a little more structure to prevent feature creep but overall they were managed well.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider implementing more Agile Scrum project management techniques to help out.

Good for the most part

Sales Representative (Current Employee)

ProsGreat people, professional sales force, good products, great benefits, good pay (prior to 2013), potential for upward mobility. Full pipeline of new products on the way.

ConsUpper management tends to be reactive rather than proactive, marketing is likely stretched too thin, 2013 quotas were completely unrealistic, and only paying reps 70% of commissions until we reach 90% of quota is just wrong with the unrealistic expectations. Poor work/life balance for reps.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease give marketing the people and tools they need to help us in the field. Our promotions can be great, but are often unorganized.

I worked full time at Merial for over 7 years

Supply Planning (Former Employee)
    Duluth, GA

ProsSalary, benefits good. plenty of experienced professionals who are of the highest caliber in the industry. some great well respected brands

Consa failing company being sucked dry by its parent. days are numbered. current financial results are very poor compared to the past

Advice to Senior Managementpull the plug

Would not recommend

Senior Sales Representative (Current Employee)

ProsGreat Benefits, Good Salary, Good products

ConsManagement, Mixed Messages within Marketing and Sales, No Work-Life Balance, GPS in cars, Big-Brother

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your reps and your customers!!!

Worked for Merial? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Merial reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Merial CEO José Barella. All 38 reviews posted anonymously by Merial employees.