Merial Reviews

Updated August 24, 2014
Updated August 24, 2014
2.8

José Barella

Call in animal health specialist.

Current Employee - Territory Manager  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Merial full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great working environment. Outside making calls and offices are friendly

Cons

micro managed. Allow reps to make more decisions

Micromanaged, tracked, criticized

Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Merial full-time

Pros

Easy and laid back talking with most veterinarians. Is sales experience to move on to better things.

Cons

Controlling managers, tracking in our vehicles, not compensated on commissions fairly, not given marketing materials on time, unrealistic expectations. Senior management has zero respect for women. They are treated with less respect and as if they are incapable of doing the jobs of their male peers. Managers gossip about their reps and flaunt their faults to break them down instead of being team players and helping to guide them. Management focuses on small insignificant details, such as amount of coupons redeemed in your territory or time your car sat at a clinic, instead of how your territory is performing. You can blow your quota out of the water and it won't be good enough.

Respect your reps. They are the face of your company. Reps should be compensated fairly. Managers should build team morale and acknowledge rep wins, not focus solely on the negative.

Great people to work with, great atmosphere

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Duluth, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Duluth, GA

I have been working at Merial full-time for more than a year

Pros

great atmosphere, no micro managing, u truly have to perform and do your work.. everyone is helpful and kind. flexible, telecommute..

Cons

not much process in play...not enough cubes for new hire... took along time to get a working laptop...

the manager I worked for was great...

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Compassionate animal lovers

Former Employee - Procurement  in  Duluth, GA
    Former Employee - Procurement in Duluth, GA

I worked at Merial full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Compassionate animal lovers. People care about their work and their customers. Strive for excellence. Mostly not very high stress environment.

Cons

Not much opportunity for growth. Best career opportunities are in sales or in science.

Misogyny at it's finest, all hail old boys club

I have been working at Merial full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Products are great, other employees are awesome

Cons

The upper management is all men. They only promote their own and their favorites. It is sad to watch women work twice as hard and not be rewarded.

CLEAN house

Great place to get hands on learning with Vmware and to work with a great group of people

Former Employee - Windows Systems Administrator  in  Duluth, GA
    Former Employee - Windows Systems Administrator in Duluth, GA

I worked at Merial full-time for less than a year

Pros

As a Contractor I was always meeting new people which gave me a name to put with a face.
    In doing so it made it when I was sending out mass emails I knew who these people were that i was emailing.

Cons

Some of the challenges of working at merial was that people would sometimes drag there feet when it came to get things done

Disappointing, The company is in serious decline.

Former Employee - Manufacturing Technician
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Technician

I worked at Merial full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good benefits. The people I worked with in my department are incredibly hard working and willing to help. That's about it.

Cons

Many talented people have left due in part to terrible management of day to day activities. Most systems are highly manual in nature. Many mistakes and potential problems could be avoided if investments were made to update and automate critical systems. The costs of some mistakes have been very expensive and could have been avoided. Yet management will not make changes. New projects are forced into areas that do not have the capability or the personnel to accept the increased workload. Many of the management team do not have any production floor experience or knowledge of current activities.

Performance review is another area that is rife with unfairness and favoritism. Everyone has to fit into a bell curve - so many people get a good review, so many get a bad review, and so many get an excellent review. This system places the workforce in competition with one another. If a department has 5 exceptional people, someone will most be getting a bad review no matter what. Microsoft had the same performance review system in place for many years and had to abandon it because they were losing so many good people. Same thing is happening here. I've heard performance review ratings will be changed to comply with the bell curve whether it's justified or not.

Work-Life balance is a thing of the past. People are forced to stay until the work is done. Forced to work 13-14 hrs a day, nights, weekends - doesn't matter.

The company is very good at finance, sales and marketing but terrible at manufacturing. Get rid of outdated systems that force a high level of manual intervention. Take responsibility for your actions. Quit blaming the lower level workers when problems occur and give them the resources needed for success. Anything less and you are merely setting up your workforce for failure.

becoming more and more French

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Merial full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

good products, good reputation in the industry, good benefits

Cons

used to be a leading company but tough years have created a tense environment and Sanofi management has made everything more difficult. Bad employees seem to linger too long. Some functions are too lean while others continue to add headcount

change is needed, don't be afraid to fire the people who are under-performing

Excellent culture and respectful environment.

Former Employee - Senior Developer  in  Duluth, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Developer in Duluth, GA

I worked at Merial as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

The Management was very professional and respectful of work life balance even though there were times of long hours.

The technologies used were the latest and the development teams and management were knowledgeable and organized.

Project expectations were not too out of line and management did a great job of insulating the development team of unnecessary stress and office politics.

The team members were extremely friendly, welcoming and supportive.

Cons

Direct managers spent a significant amount of time in meetings and individual contributors had to navigate many projects and obstacles with limited direction or advice at times.

Projects needed a little more structure to prevent feature creep but overall they were managed well.

Consider implementing more Agile Scrum project management techniques to help out.

Good for the most part

I have been working at Merial full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people, professional sales force, good products, great benefits, good pay (prior to 2013), potential for upward mobility. Full pipeline of new products on the way.

Cons

Upper management tends to be reactive rather than proactive, marketing is likely stretched too thin, 2013 quotas were completely unrealistic, and only paying reps 70% of commissions until we reach 90% of quota is just wrong with the unrealistic expectations. Poor work/life balance for reps.

Please give marketing the people and tools they need to help us in the field. Our promotions can be great, but are often unorganized.

Worked for Merial? Contribute to the Community!