Meridian Behavioral Healthcare

Updated Mar 22, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dr. Maggie Labarta

Great mission serving folks in need.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Gainesville, FL

ProsHave an opportunity to make a difference in the community. Unlike for-profit companies, the mission is the most important focus at Meridian. Great PTO policy and other benefits. 100 percent employer-paid health insurance for full time staff.

ConsCompany is challenged with meeting its mission while seriously underfunded.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut non-performers.

You have to have really tough skin to work here.

Clinician (Current Employee) Gainesville, FL

ProsGreat coworkers who care about the clients and taking care of each other

ConsHorrible pay, little or no training and so much documentation required of the clinical staff you put in over 9+ hour days on a regular basis and get told "You won't get paid for that"; a lot of burnout and burnt out managers take this out on frustrated line employees

Advice to Senior ManagementHave employee forums and have managers understand how much their employees are working and that it is not OK to be mean or sarcastic to them.

Excellent work experience and relationship with clients and stafff, but....

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe staff I worked with were very friendly and looked out for the best interests of everyone. We worked extremely hard to get our jobs done despite the negative stuff going on with upper management. There were days in which there were rough spots but we always managed to pull through.

Whenever someone didn't do something quite right, a fellow CNA or the Charge Nurse or one of the Screeners would talk to that person alone and kindly discuss the mistake and show how to correct it. I truly appreciated this because it helped me grow and become more successful.

Oftentimes clients would thank the company or more specifically, certain staff for helping them to recover and return to a normal life free from the struggles that brought them there.

ConsThere are numerous cons to the company. Below are what I consider the most glaring:

- Current Supervisor micromanaging unit to the point of creating multiple issues that not only affect the jobs of the Nurses, CNAs, Psychologists, Screeners, Security, and visitors, but also creates an unsafe work environment much more than prior to her arrival.

- Making changes without the involvement of those who will be affected. Such practice is being done without having a discussion and allowing the ones affected to provide input on the ideas. Often, these changes come without notice and no training is involved in how to implement them. In addition, the Screeners have witnessed changes in policy and methods occur several times in a week, for example, and would change almost every week.

- The attitude of upper management has focused into being a numbers game and making money in order to cover losses resulting from errors made in paperwork and their late submissions. The company is licensed as a not for profit organization whose role is to provide for choice, hope, and recovery to everyone who needs help regardless of their circumstance.

- Although the current hourly pay is somewhat workable, the staff are underpaid way too much for the type of work they do and the types of clients they work with. It is a very high stress level of work that requires a lot of patience and ability to work under lots of pressure and non-stop work. The pay should be comparable to other health agencies and needs to be in the $12-14 range.

Advice to Senior Management- Be more attentive and willing to listen to the needs of staff.

- When issues are being brought to your attention, especially those they deem necessary for immediate resolving, take a more proactive than reactive approach. Never wait until something drastic occurs, whether the injury of staff or clients, for example, to take immediate action. Although money in the budget should be on the table, the safety of everyone and work efficiency should always take first priority and money concerns should take second place.

- When a client has broken into the Nurses' station and caused further damage, property and/or staff, they should be arrested, put in jail, immediately discharged, and placed on a no trespass status. This also applies to the waiting area, vitals room, screener offices, and the trap. They should not be given a sedative and allowed to stay. There were several clients this applies to. Under my observation, I saw this occur and there were a few of them I predicted correctly they would commit the same act again which I warned staff about before it happened. I had the backing of staff with whom this was discussed. In my experience, keeping everyone safe does not require large sums of money.

- The CSU needs to stop holding inmates and providing shelter and meals to the homeless. Although a certain few of those homeless truly need help, the majority of them are simply playing the system and they know what to say in order to get free room and board. The screeners and staff know this including those working security.

- Staffing is always a problem and it can easily be solved. As a rule of thumb and common sense, all shifts must be staffed with four CNAs or related personnel. In addition, there must be more males hired to work with the females. It has been said on multiple occasions that the presence of more male staff will intimidate certain clients. This belief is simply not true. To hire more males would help improve the safety of the unit.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I am a Counselor

Counselor IV (Current Employee) Gainesville, FL

ProsIt is very rewarding to work with Clients.

ConsFor me it is the distance from my home. I live in Orlando.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

"Why would You want to Come Here?" -- CEO, Dr. Maggie Labarta, in a meeting with executives

(Current Employee)

ProsExcellent, hard working, diligent, and patient lower "line" staff. Many clients are helped by clinicians and doctors. Facilities are getting better all the time due to the maintenance and grounds crews.

ConsExecutive Tartufferry and faux FISH (having fun at work).

Many executives and middle managers want to hear ideas for improvement only insofar as they can rationalize a way to debunk them while cynically holding onto a position of "executive privilege" and smooth operations; then, executives and managers hold "line" staff responsible for productivity deficiencies. There is little incentive to report that which is derided.

In recent years life-time employees have been pushed aside or out and replaced. PRN has been more frequently used, of late.

Working at Meridian can be very stressful for what the organization does.

Advice to Senior ManagementLead by stable example not executive privilege and excuse.

Not measurably professional

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Gainesville, FL

ProsGreat PTO, retirement and autonomy for work atmosphere

ConsRigid, closed minded and hybrid form of nepotism in certain areas mixed with prejudices

Advice to Senior ManagementThere appears to be a double-minded mind set. It appears that staff is expected to follow all the rules and act with extreme professionalism and at the same time senior management does not respond to phone calls, emails or general follow-up or follow through.

Many opportunities are left hanging without attention or focus. There is an inner circle of management where creativity and ingenuity is not embraced.

There appears to be a great communication gap between senior management and staff .

I would suggest to management to start following their own rules and policies.

Exhausting and Fustrating Work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosfriendly co-workers, thats about it

ConsPoorly designed claiming program, untrained and new people in charge, extreme mess of old claims

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain Better

Good Job for someone with Patience

Chemical Health Tech (Current Employee) Pine City, MN

ProsRewarding, Flexible, and very fun clients. The job is great for someone who needs to help someone to feel a sense of accomplishment.

ConsSome of the staff cause politics and it can become very sticky. There tends to be some illegal activity, depending on the facility.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart doing UA's.

Ok

Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsBosses leave u alone for the most part

ConsPay stinks and gets worse

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't even think I have the right company, meridian healthcare

Worked for Meridian Behavioral Healthcare? Contribute to the Community!