Meridian Health Plan

Updated December 17, 2014
Updated December 17, 2014
2.7

David B. Cotton, MD

Pros
  • Entry level jobs for college grads (in 6 reviews)

• Work/life balance is great for us in the IT department - over time is rare but when it happens, they make sure you're paid for it (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work life balance, little reward for doing quality work, poor professional development (in 8 reviews)

• upper management doesn't always respect their employees and the work that they do (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Entry level

I have been working at Meridian Health Plan

Pros

Good first professional
    Job to start a career off
    Free coffee

Cons

Sit in a cube all day--

None

Many opportunities

I have been working at Meridian Health Plan full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great co workers, changing climate and policies, awesome social events and activities!! The company is in the midst of both expansion, moving into a great new building, but most importantly overhauling old policies and processes that have hindered growth and caused unneeded stress for many. I see many upper level meetings and their topics, and they are really changing and looking into former flaws and changing for the better as well as for the future.

Cons

Office politics. But where can you work that you DONT run into that??
    Pay could be better but it seems they reward those that pay their dues.

Keep changing and progressing, it's starting to be noticed.

Ups and downs with this company!

Current Employee - Quality Improvement in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Quality Improvement in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Meridian Health Plan full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This company has been, and is currently, experiencing tremendous growth. There are many opportunities for a recent college graduate or for anyone who is eager to learn new skills. My experience at this company has overall been rewarding, partly due to the leadership in my department being willing to train and mentor. I have had opportunities at this company that I would not have had anywhere else. There is always plenty of work (job security) for people who are willing to do the work. The perks are great too- working in downtown Detroit, lots of social events and fun activities during work. The company is family-owned and very present throughout the organization.

Cons

I think the owners are doing their best to keep up with demands of an expanding business and changing industry; however, there are consistent obstacles that have been present over the years. I think one of the biggest complaints is the (sometimes) inexperienced leadership. As of late, there have also been complaints of too much organizational restructuring and change. I think it has been somewhat necessary and overdue, but difficult to deal with nonetheless. I have seen dedicated leadership get "pushed out" of the company after their refusal to accept a new position or demotion- not something I look forward to as I advance my professional career!

Keep up the good work as you aim to identify changes that need to happen in your organization. You are doing a great job of gaining feedback from employees and making necessary changes. I would advise you to spend more time preparing non-management professionals the opportunity to be mentored and gain management experience!

Only accept the job offer if it is your last resort

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Meridian Health Plan full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Having your own work area (Cubical)

Paid holidays

Monday-Friday schedule

Cons

Little experienced management- Causing stressful work environments when your management does not even know the answer to your questions.

Overworks employees by giving them the workload of what six people should be doing.

In the interview process, recruiters made it seem that this is an amazing place to work at... People are rude and it's really about who you know if you want to grow with the company.

You're lucky to receive the breaks and lunch that you are supposed to get... Why are employees working six hours straight before getting a break? Then the management team gets frustrated with you when you're attempting to take a break or lunch that you're required to have... What a joke. This is an every day basis.

(The list goes on and on.)

Please refer to the cons that have been listed.

Favorite part of working at MHP? Reading glassdoor/indeed reviews about MHP :)

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I worked at Meridian Health Plan full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

To be fair to Meridian, I did have a fairly positive experience during my time of employment with the company. I started fresh out of college making more money than I ever imagined my crappy degree getting for me, and I left the company after three promotions having an even higher salary than I deserved for the work that I did.
    Meridian offers plenty of opportunities for recent grads/entry level employees, they have a great (safe) downtown location, wonderful holiday parties, amazing co-workers and are fans of promoting from within (but it does help if you are BFF's with HR/Management to get you there). Work/Life balance really depends on which position you hold, however I was lucky enough to leave my "work at work" and not have to think about it again until the next day.
    I really think MHP could be a great place to work if they stopped thinking so highly of themselves. Yes they are "dynamic", "innovative" and "nipping at the heels of BCBS" (well, only in their little minds...) but they are getting too big for the brains they have trying to run the company.

Cons

Fortunately, I never had to experience the "dark side" of Meridian first hand, but I was there long enough to see the numerous employees fall victim to their toxic environment. Your overall impressions of MHP can quickly change from carefree and wonderful to tense and unstable, but as they are growing bigger they can afford to treat their employees worse and know that they will have a steady stream of fresh faces lining up to replace the recently terminated.
    Mondays are always pretty exciting because you get to look around at the empty cubes to find out who was a victim of "fire me Friday". Frequently employees are being passed over for promotions because they weren't their managers "favorite" or didn't know the right people, and there is just too darn much employee fraternization. I swear they could make a soap opera out of this company with all of the public and private relationships that employees (including senior leadership) are having with one another.
    Leadership is something that can always be improved at MHP. They hire too many people with little to no experience leading employees, and then chronically deliver empty threats and even emptier promises.

If you don't want employees taking advantage of the few perks that you do offer, stop hiring hood-rats just for the sake of having a warm body answering the phones or placing stalker-esque outbound calls.
    If you're going to make your employees "salary" then don't make them track their every move (clocking in/out, lunch, bathroom breaks, mailing letters) on "task timer".

Satisfactory so far, have only been here 3 months

Current Employee - Applications Developer in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Applications Developer in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Meridian Health Plan full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I like the culture, and everything that comes with being part of a big corporation that's emerging in the healthcare market. Work/life balance is great for us in the IT department - over time is rare but when it happens, they make sure you're paid for it. All sorts of company-wide intramurals sports you can sign up for, pretty flexible in terms of time you arrive/leave (still need to get that 40 hours in). All around, a pretty solid company.

Cons

I've had one conversation with my "boss" since I started here three months ago. Upper level management is just so flooded with work they have no time to get to know or lend guidance to employees lower on the totem pole. It's hard to find time to talk to superiors about anything really, as they're all just so busy. Also, HR isn't the friendliest to deal with, and it seems like the new employee orientation is so run-of-the-mill and there really hasn't been any creativity or thought put into it at all. Also, I've noticed a ton of inter-corporate relationships that exist and can sometimes be a distraction. But even worse than that is the favoritism I've seen between those who get promotions and those who don't.

Spend a little more time with those underneath you and just get to know employees on all levels - not just your own. At my last job my boss' genuinely cared for our growth and progress. Here, it's just sort of them making sure everyone has a good working relationship with everyone else, and if so, they move on to their bigger and "better" problems.

Toxic culture, Horribly under qualified management

Former Employee - Care Coordinator in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Care Coordinator in Detroit, MI

I worked at Meridian Health Plan (more than an year)

Pros

Free bagels on Fridays and after work events.

Cons

Poor work life balance. Management is totally disconnected and under qualified. I would not be surprised if this company isn't around in 10 years, unless some major changes are made. Do yourself a favor, do not work here.

Worst experience of my professional career

I worked at Meridian Health Plan full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Bagels, great colleagues, location, parking, technology. Unfortunately all of the pros are very superficial.

Cons

Everything else: toxic culture, work-life balance, not operating in line with their mission, blame shifting, poor long range planning, treats employees like children, operates in constant chaos, turnover. In short believe the reviews and understand that they operate by burning through employees---they don't care if you get burnt out, they just want their numbers and there will be 2 more in line from the outside believing the nice offices and the culture and values spiel to replace you when you're done. And that is at all levels.

From the reviews, it seems this company has been running this way a long time. I guess my advice wouldn't be helpful since they seem to think that they get the results they want--without attention to retention, fulfilling their mission, or adhering to insurance and labor regulations.

A life changing experience

Current Employee - Manager Operations in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Manager Operations in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Meridian Health Plan full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The energy. Working downtown Detroit. The knowledge I have been allowed to acquire through on the job training and knowing that I am encouraged to make a difference. I have read some of the other reviews and I think are we working for the same Company. If you reach out and seize the opportunity, show that you want to do more, you will be given the ability to rise in this Company. It has always been a place of change, sometimes change can be painful and sometimes it can be exciting but it is never dull and boring. Have I loved every minute here....pretty much.

Cons

There have been some hiccups with new product lines but on the whole they go fairly well. Parking can be a little tricky at times now more than when we moved to Detroit in 2007 but hey the city is growing and that is exciting and now I car pool so I feel better about that all around.

You are doing a better job at communicating with the work force keep that up!! Thank you for giving me an opportunity to work here!!

Awesome Benefits, Great Location, Flexible Schedule, No Complaints.

Current Employee - Medicare Sales in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Medicare Sales in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Meridian Health Plan full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Full health benefits after 60 days-- health, vision, dental, RX
     -401K/FSA
    -3 weeks PTO
    -fringe benefits like employee discounts for various vendors and tuition reimbursement
    -lots of cool work functions, charity events, incentives and luncheons
    -location in the heart of downtown Detroit means I have interesting, fun and active things I can do before work, after work and during lunch
    -paid internships for college students looking for experience

The team I work on is small and our hours are flexible. I choose to work an afternoon shift to leave time for things I want and need to do in the morning, and management was happy to accommodate that. I never have an issue trying to reach my manager or my supervisor if I have a question or concern. I am on salary and I don't have to punch in/out. I confirm my time-sheet the Friday the pay period ends and I'm done with it. I don't have the same fear of the time-clock that other reviewers who are hourly seem to have.

For me, what makes it most enjoyable is the details. It's not hard for me to spend my day there because it's clean. The bathroom is clean. The kitchen areas are clean. Common areas are clean. Coffee and tea are good quality and free. The office space is neither noisy or too crowded. The dress code isn't obnoxiously strict. The view is incredible (I work on 16). My equipment almost never breaks and IT is available immediately if it does. All kind of little contests, groups, games and incentives if you wanna get involved, but if not, no pressure. Parking isn't a hassle because they dole out monthly key-cards you can use on the weekend. There's free food somewhere in the building at least once a week (and that *excludes* bagel Fridays, which I enjoy). We have access to Compuware's canteen and their gym, both of which are super nice. My coworkers are pretty cool. I have met and had lunch with pretty much every important executive in the office and not one has ever been rude or snobby. If I need training on something, it's at my fingertips via online coursework I can do at my leisure.

Cons

I honestly can't find a thing to complain about. Not one. I've worked in a lot of offices over the years, and this one has taken care of me the best. My workload is adequate. Pay is satisfactory and is about what I could expect to make in my role elsewhere. My experience with management hasn't been anything but professional and pleasant. I like what I do. My training was thorough enough to where I didn't feel like I was put in a sink-or-swim situation. I love it here.

Continue to put emphasis on making your employees happy. Continue with the attention to details. Continue to remain available for questions, concerns, suggestions and feedback.