Meridium Reviews

2.7
Bonz Hart

1. Pretty ok company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roanoke, VA

I have been working at Meridium full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work is fun, the work-life balance is really good, management is flexible with your schedule, HR department does plan several employee events throughout the year.

Cons

Make employees accountable for what they do, if there are deadlines then meet them, some promotions are questionable - are they because these people have the right connections or is it because they have earned it? The pay and the cost of healthcare is not the best.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid of making people accountable! Encourage teamwork and cross training! There needs to be better incentives, right now I don't see any.

Great Environment, but Forget a Pay Raise

Former Employee - Senior Consultant-safety Instrumented Systems
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant-safety Instrumented Systems

I worked at Meridium (more than 5 years)

Pros

It was a really great professional environment. People were dedicated, work-working, and enjoyable to be around. If you like international travel, they were many opportunities

Cons

Pay was clearly substandard. Business model was to hire retirees, people in Roanoke (where they had little other opportunities), foreign countries to minimize costs. Tried to avoid Houston because they were too expensive. Were scared to pay an engineer over $100K. That was too expensive.

Once you arrive, you can pretty much forgot about ever getting a raise. We went 4 years without a raise in one stretch. Comp plans were convoluted and demotivating. Cubicles were very small.

Promotions were non-existent.

3. Decent company with great people

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Roanoke, VA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Roanoke, VA

I have been working at Meridium

Pros

There are a ton of great people that work at Meridium which creates an excellent and exciting work environment. The senior management seems to be headed down the right path and they try to communicate the direction they are taking.

Cons

Meridium is growing very fast and there are definitely signs of growing pains. Some of the higher middle management seem to be struggling with all the changes in both the industry and size of the company that do cause some minor issues.

Advice to Management

Growing fast and hiring a lot of people is a really good thing but quality employees still need to be hired for every open position. Hiring new people also does not mean there will be an immediate increase in production as there is still a steep learning curve that will have to be overcome.

5. Good Company getting ready to do great things

I have been working at Meridium

Pros

Really care about their employees. High level of integrity within the executive leadership team.

Cons

Need to bring in new ideas/people to continue growing.

Advice to Management

Continue to look for new people that bring a new perspective to the business.

Looks like HR is writing reviews again

I have been working at Meridium full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Can dress casually; guys can grow their hair down to their butts, if they like. The ice machine is nice to have; especially in the summer.

Cons

Certain areas of the company are extremely over worked while others are told to take their time so they look busy. First raise in over four years last year, but it was so small it was a slap in the face. Unfortunately Norfolk Southern is downsizing to bare bones and with Advanced Auto moving their headquarters to Raleigh, that really leaves no big companies that you can even consider applying to. No one should move to Roanoke just to work at Meridium. In the long run, you will regret it.

Advice to Management

Seriously, a bigger pay raise would make us happier than a Friday afternoon cookout. The cookouts are a nice gesture but a larger pay raise would be better for morale. And Leadership, please get realistic with your yearly projections or at least come up with them before the cocktail hour.

Good company for non-developers

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roanoke, VA

I worked at Meridium full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Friendly people to work along side
    HR tries to keep good employee morale with nice appreciation events (i.e. parties, lunches, cocktail hours)
    Great starting point to build experience in your field

Cons

Stagnant pay
    Can quickly become monotonous
    No real room for advancement
    Development area became a cube farm

Advice to Management

Stop spending $1M+ on your yearly conference and start spending it on your employees. Your churn rate and employee morale/faith in company is starting to look abysmal. Without any real innovation soon, GE is going to overtake your market and leave you behind.

Waste of time

Current Employee - Dev in India, TX
    Current Employee - Dev in India, TX

I have been working at Meridium full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good Work personal life balance. Do not have anything positive which I think apart from this

Cons

No learning, no growth, poor hikes, rude people, lack of good leadership.
    If you want to see the extent of UN-professionalism then join the company

Advice to Management

Time to learn before you stop getting people who want to join you

Unlike any company I've ever worked for...in a good way!

I have been working at Meridium full-time

Pros

*Flexible working hours--I have a child so it's amazing to work somewhere that takes that into consideration and allows me to work the hours that best suit my family life.
    *Margaritas on the Patio!--Who wouldn't enjoy that?? No seriously, they offer fun events that personally make me feel like they are investing in me b/c they care enough to plan things for us. I can't always attend b/c again I have a child but it's nice to know I have the option if it fits my schedule!
    *Meridium Fun Days!--You actually get days off to hang out with your coworkers and build long lasting relationships.
    *The benefits are great!--Believe it or not, Meridium actually pays for medical and dental at 100% for their employees. You really don't see that much anymore.
    *The building!--You have to see it to believe it. They took an old sofa warehouse and turned into an awesome looking building. It's beautiful!

But again, my favorite part would be the flexible working hours b/c any company that cares about my life outside of work is a company that I want to invest in long term.

Cons

We are outgrowing our current building. I think they are working to add another level of office space though so that should be fixed soon enough. I guess growing and filling up an office building isn't necessarily a con but it's the only one I could think of to list.

Advice to Management

My only advice is to talk to your employees. If you are always talking to your employees then you'll know what it is that they need, what makes them happy, and what they need from you to be successful. Everyone just wants to be appreciated. And always remember to tell people when they're doing a good job. That goes a long way.

Dead End opportunity...Less than a year, and that was still too long to remain at work here

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roanoke, VA

I worked at Meridium full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The non manager people are very nice. Depending on your area or level of involvement, you can really make some good connections with some talented people. I enjoyed my team and manager, and yes there were times when I was happy with the performance of the company as a whole.

Cons

HR does not help with career growth. Raises are few and far between, and salaries and low unless you are a programmer. Feedback given to HR never seems to improve the conditions. It's unfair that some people can work via telecommuting from the west coast and only come to the office 1 time a month while others are not given the flexibility. The unfair treatment between departments causes a lot of turnover. I was initially excited about my position, but the high turnover made it difficult to train new folks and still be expected to do my job without additional benefits. The management tends to forget that employees are also their bread and butter, because without the employees, there is no product.

Advice to Management

Meridium claims to be innovative, yet the building is full of cubicles and desktop PC's where employees are forced to sit constantly and not move much. Some departments have more meetings about work then actual work. I suggest cutting down the number of such meetings. Have more interaction between departments that goes beyond reporting/troubleshooting bugs. Also, maybe change the name of the product to something different than the name of the company. If Microsoft sold Microsoft, people would be confused.

Good but has the potential to be great

I have been working at Meridium full-time

Pros

Great people: smart group of co-workers who are motivated and dedicated; good flexibility in working hours as long as job gets done

Cons

Less than ideal advancement potential; hiring in from outside particularly at higher levels; reflective of senior management's lack of direction and strategy and focus on what's important

Advice to Management

Focus on the drivers for success first (including good market-driven products and competitive salaries to attract high quality talent), then things like company culture and environment second. It often seems backwards.