Merillat Reviews

Merillat President Karen Strauss
Karen Strauss

good

I have been working at Merillat

Pros

a good company to work with

Cons

not a bad company to work with in the bay area

poor communication/leadership

Current Employee - Door Hanger in Los Lunas, NM
    Current Employee - Door Hanger in Los Lunas, NM

I have been working at Merillat

Pros

Good benifits, lots of positions to learn which will make you an asset. Show up to work everyday and don't cause any problem and it does not matter how you do your job.

Cons

strict attendance, turnover high, thankless job, very few rewards, hr is strict on some and easy on others, lots of favoritizm

Say Thanks during monthly meeting..a little appreciation goes a long way. They start lots of safety and recognition rewards but they stop with no reasn given to us why. it is hard for us to stay motivated and care when we know we are all just numbers in this plant

Unbelievable amount of waste and incompetent management

Former Employee - Warranty Service Tech in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Warranty Service Tech in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Merillat

Pros

Decent benefits
    Experience is looked at favorably by other companies

Cons

Incompetent management
    Inconsistent policies and directions
    Management constantly looking to make themselves look better by trying to blame field personnel for their mistakes
    No feeling of loyalty to their best workers

Stop trying to justify your own position or cover your incompetence by casting blame for your mistakes on the very people who are completing the work and fixing the problems you created in the first place

Unorganized

Current Employee - IS Department in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - IS Department in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Merillat

Pros

Good benefits, talented co-workers and bleeding technology used.

Cons

Poor senior management, lack of communication from senior management, decisions made by senior management are not thought out, company treats employees unprofressional, compensation is not up to par.

Step down from your high horse and let your ego's go. Management has no clue how lucky they are to have talented employees, they need to listen to them and take their advice. Pay attention on how you make decisions as it results in morale issues.

A company on the way down!

I worked at Merillat

Pros

Great benefits and decent pay. Some opportunities for development for select individuals. A competent, very team oriented workforce.

Cons

Poor morale due to very bad leadership at the higher levels of the organization, over-worked with under appreciation, products are lacking in style and innovation while quality is diminishing, a CFO who verbally abuses employees and runs around screaming with his hair on fire!

Realize that business will continue to go down and stay down for quite awhile. Make the cuts to right size the organization and be done with it, so the morale can begin to improve. Invest in your product innovation and value your existing employees!

One man's opinion

I worked at Merillat

Pros

If you are not really qualified in your chosen field, and you enjoy fawning over senior management that is similarly qualified, then Merillat is the place for you.

Cons

It is the only place I have ever worked where hard work and dedication are kicked to the curb while whining, incompetent, sycophants rise to the top.

Do the rest of the working world a favor, when you finally succeed in sinking the ship, go down with it.

Don't plan on being promoted!

I worked at Merillat

Pros

Lots of opportunity to travel, some very bright people are employed at Merillat as well! A large company that offers positions through out the country

Cons

By the time I left pay raises, let alone job security was a thing of the past. Promotions did not exsist and people were expected to stay for what felt like forever in their positions.

Take better care of the employees that you have. A lack of pay raises suck, but tell us why it has to happen!

Great place to work...

Current Employee - Help Desk Technician in Adrian, MI
    Current Employee - Help Desk Technician in Adrian, MI

I have been working at Merillat

Pros

Merillat offers many opportunities for travel and advancement. Managers are respectful of employees and will stand up for them. The company provides employees with advanced, up-to-date technology with very little "red tape" for replacement. Now that Merillat is part of Masco, it is very unlikely that the company will be sold or closed.

Cons

Merillat makes it very clear that your job is not guaranteed which does not lead to a good sense of job security. The company would much rather fire people than have them quit. Many times communication between departments is poor, but important information is distributed widely through many modes of communication.

Senior management within the company is great at keeping tabs on the people below them without intimidation.

This company is in need of help!

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Merillat

Pros

The compensation & benefits package was pretty good at first; however, it kept going downhill after every enrollment period.

Cons

The labor board has had to intervene on behalf of the installers twice, and it's my understanding that they will be back for round three very soon. Management tells installers to "fudge" information on their time sheets and does not compensate them for overtime worked. If you are not part of the management click, you are snubbed and given low paying houses to install. The people who benefit the most are friends and family (that are employees too) of supervisors, most of whom have no idea what it means to be a supervisor. Office personnel are not trained to properly do their job, but are written up when they make mistakes. Supervisors are given (or just take) more time off than any company I have ever worked for. Nepotism runs rampid too.

It would be beneficial to the future of Merillat if Kathy Strauss sent a team to Las Vegas to investigate the inner workings of the management staff there. Some training classes would also be of great help to the supervisors, such as Dale Carnegie or supervisor team building, just to name a couple.

questions, questions, questions...

Current Employee - Team Facilitator in Ocala, FL
    Current Employee - Team Facilitator in Ocala, FL

I have been working at Merillat

Pros

I loved the work... Although it was hard. I am going to miss it when the plant shuts down.

Cons

Sent our employees over to Los Lunas plant to help get them running. Then turned around and shut our plant down to give orders to Cullpepper & Los Lunas. Go figure!

Upper management at the plant is too busy with non-sense meetings and neglected to see the whole scope of the facility and its inner workings. Lack of organization, lack of communications and lack of all over common sense. No wonder Masco decided to shut down this plant come October of 2008.