Merion Matters Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.7
Ann Kielinski

Pros
  • Flex time means you can work any time 7 a (in 9 reviews)

• After 5 years, you can work from home two days a week (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management and ownership does not care about the employees at all (in 6 reviews)

• You will not make money, and they will show you the door faster than you can blink your eyes (in 3 reviews)

Marketing Manager

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at Merion Matters full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, worked independently, supportive manager within department, supportive peers

Cons

Limited ability to move within company, no mentorship, HR was unapproachable, Upper management provided no direction and ignored diminishing morale amongst employees

Advice to Management

Trust your employees

2. Account Executive

Former Employee - Account Executive in King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at Merion Matters full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Some of your coworkers are interested in making a difference and that can really be energizing
    - Location is very central for a large range of people to commute
    - Ability to put your head down and try your absolute hardest if you are motivated enough

Cons

- An overwhelming feeling that nobody believes in what they are selling
    - Upper management seems so far removed that personal sales figures are based on goals met in the 80's
    - Pay is WAY LOW for the industry average, majority of younger employees can't live comfortably

Advice to Management

- Stop making crazy product adjustments at the last minute in order to keep from constantly losing money
    - Close the place and try giving these hardworking people a chance to sell a thriving product!

3. Good place to start off, if you last through layoffs

Former Employee - Editorial in King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Editorial in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at Merion Matters full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lack of adequate staffing leads to many opportunities to bolster resume with duties not offered in typical editorial positions such as art planning, web duties, planning and creating multimedia, representing company at job fairs. Flex time means you can work any time 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. so no rushing in the morning, no fear if traffic is terrible, you can leave early if you need to and make it up later in the week. No overtime, so 40 hours is 40 hours. After 5 years, you can work from home two days a week.

Cons

Owners/upper management have no clear direction and are floundering at every corner. HR makes terrible hiring decisions. Layoffs happen weekly, then owner shows surprise when people quit. Editorial was once warned in mid-May that there would be layoffs in the department - we didn't find out who until late July, when literally half the staff was cut. Every Friday was full of fear and not productive. Layoffs are frequent but the amount of work stays the same. The people who are left are expected to pick up all the work of those who were forced out - no way anyone can do that much work. Managers take credit for every ounce of work, despite not even knowing everything their peons do. Owners don't pay bills for shipping, freelance writers, even disability and 401k were behind at times. Very hard to communicate between departments and often get left with delayed projects due to other departments being swamped/not doing their share of the work. Salespeople outright said they weren't selling on certain pubs due to personal vendetta.

Advice to Management

SELL THE COMPANY!!!

5. This place is a joke

Former Employee - Inside Sales in King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at Merion Matters full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People are nice. Work life balance was great! Never a dull moment

Cons

Owners have no idea whats going on. Management was very sloppy. I saw the highest turn over rate ever.

Advice to Management

If you want to make this place successful change with the times.

Sales managers and co-workers are great, but Upper Management and ownership does not care about employees

Current Employee - Advertising Sales Representative in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Advertising Sales Representative in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at Merion Matters full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers
    Sales managers work closely with reps, give good advice, and work their tails off
    Work-life balance is good with the flex time. If you have a side gig, you might be able to swallow this job.

Cons

Upper management and ownership does not care about the employees at all. Layoffs constantly. Commission structure is horrible. You will be extremely lucky to bring in 40K. In my short 5 months there, I witnessed 12 people get laid off or quit at a moments notice. I was laid off, with my manager on vacation. That is not only disrespectful to me, but also to my manager. Reason for being laid off, numbers of course. But what is ironic is that at all of my last jobs, I have been a top 10% sales rep. If you can sell, consult, advise, whatever you might call it... this is NOT the job for you. You will not make money, and they will show you the door faster than you can blink your eyes.

Advice to Management

To my direct managers, thank you for everything you taught me at ADVANCE. I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors. As for upper management, and the owners... I have nothing to say to you. Your company WAS good, now it is horrid, your print product is no good, your online websites do not get enough traffic to make sense to clients. I wish you the best, and I hope that you are able to turn your company around.

Run and Hide

Current Employee - Media and Marketing Sales Associate in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Media and Marketing Sales Associate in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at Merion Matters full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Receiving a paycheck on a bi-weekly basis

Cons

I drive without my seat belt on to work because I want to die before going to this job.
    The disdain in which the owners of this company treat their employees is sickening and getting worse by the day. The doors will be shutting in the very near future...happy to say goodbye

Additionally, they will hire any clown that sends in a application because of the outflowing revolving door.
    To any job seeker reading, please be aware of the obvious reviews planted on this site by the HR dept.

Advice to Management

Sell it off while you still have assets...time is running out

Never a dull moment

Current Employee - Manager in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at Merion Matters full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Everyday is always different with new challenges. Most people in company very nice to work with. Management encourages ideas from all staff. Days fly by never a dull moment. Excellent work life balance
    Flex time

Cons

System challenges and having to do certain tasks manually which can be time consuming
    Reports not always accurate so not a lot of confidence in system

Advice to Management

Keep trying to increase business and positive reinforcement to staff that achieves well
    Keep trying to get system to work for all your businesses.

Aug 7, 2014Corporate Communications Director

Thank you for commenting on Glassdoor. We understand there are challenges and want you to know that we appreciate all feedback and will use what we can to improve and grow as an organization.

Working with a lot of talented people

I have been working at Merion Matters full-time

Pros

- Flex Schedule
    - Career Growth
    - PTO (roll over)
    - I have managed to learn a lot here with Merion and have stepped outside of my comfort zone.
    - Open Door policy w/ upper management
    - Wonderful team of colleagues to work with
    - Upper

Cons

- No emergency work plan for snow days (half the office can work from the home other half must utilize PTO - Communication is a little lacking.
    - Home-grown systems need updating

Advice to Management

The office culture could use some help as the communication is lacking. Continue to listen to your staff.

Aug 7, 2014Corporate Communications Director

Thank you for the feedback on Glassdoor. We want you to know that we take your feedback seriously and will use what we can to improve and grow the organization.

Growth potential and work environment improving!

Current Employee - Administration in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Administration in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at Merion Matters full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Salaries are well within the average ranges for the area, benefits package is decent, really nice flexible hours and management that's willing to work with busy personal schedules, and overall a really nice group of co-workers to interact with each and every day!

Cons

Although efforts are constantly being made to improve growth and stability, patience is a major requirement at this time.

Advice to Management

Get out there and "LISTEN" to your employees more often. There's a really good staff of people that are able to give constructive advice and support with all the changes that need to take place to improve the company's future growth potential.

Aug 15, 2014Corporate Communications Director

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on Glassdoor. Merion remains committed to forging a new path and will use feedback like this to help us grow wherever we can.

Great First Job So Far

Current Employee - Sales Representative in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at Merion Matters full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company offers good benefits, decent pay and flexible work schedules. The people are fun and really great to work with. I have learned a lot since I started and I like that there is opportunity for growth and that they have a variety of product lines that I can learn about.

Cons

Some policies are a little confusing.

Advice to Management

Improve communication and maybe come up with some fun incentives.

RSS Feed </> Embed