Merion Matters

Never a dull moment

Current Employee - Manager  in  King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Manager in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at Merion Matters full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Everyday is always different with new challenges. Most people in company very nice to work with. Management encourages ideas from all staff. Days fly by never a dull moment. Excellent work life balance
    Flex time

Cons

System challenges and having to do certain tasks manually which can be time consuming
    Reports not always accurate so not a lot of confidence in system

Keep trying to increase business and positive reinforcement to staff that achieves well
    Keep trying to get system to work for all your businesses.

Aug 7, 2014Corporate Communications Director

Thank you for commenting on Glassdoor. We understand there are challenges and want you to know that we appreciate all feedback and will use what we can to improve and grow as an organization.

Elvis has left the building

I worked at Merion Matters full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

This was once a great company to work for, back when it was known as Merion Publications. Lots of opportunity for talented people to advance their careers. Unfortunately the rise of online advertising and content distribution coupled with the financial downturn caught the company flatfooted. Layoffs began in 2008 and have been ongoing ever since. Once a company of around 500 employees, they are now down to under 200. On the plus side: if you can function well in a chaotic environment absent of strong leadership, clear communication and under near-constant threat of layoff, there is the flex time and casual office attire to enjoy. Benefits are fairly good, though not exceptional. You'll likely be called upon to perform many people's jobs, thereby enhancing your skill set and versatility. Coworkers are good people who happen to be caught up in a tough situation. I wish I could say things will probably improve but that just doesn't appear to be the case at this point. One thing should be noted: the company deserves credit for laying off employees rather than looking for excuses to fire them so they won't be able to collect unemployment.

Cons

Company instability, threat of layoffs, poor communication from upper management, dispirited workforce, longterm outlook for business viability appears poor.

Don't ruin your health stressing out about the company. It's not worth it.

Does not pay writers.

Former Employee - Writer
    Former Employee - Writer

I worked at Merion Matters as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

I enjoyed writing about my profession. Good extra income for something I enjoyed, if I got paid.

Cons

You won't get paid if you are a contract worker/ blogger. They will lie and make excuses. When it had been 3 or months months since I was paid, I would ask to be paid, and would get a small check that did not catch up what was owed to me. I was always told that a "new system was being implemented" and that payment would become more regular, but that never happened.

Pay your employees. Stop lying.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Moral at an all time low

I have been working at Merion Matters full-time

Pros

The health benefits are decent and the flex time is good.

Cons

The constant lay offs are taking their toll on the entire company. It seems that each time payroll comes around, they have to lay someone off in order to keep business expenses down. Several lay offs have resulted in good people being let go that leaves no one to do the job and hurts overall revenue. Revenue goes down and they lay off more people. Which results in lower revenue. So more lay offs. See the pattern? The people that run the company don't seem to notice the connection. There does not seem to be a business plan in place that could actually lead the company out of the financial ruin they are certainly headed towards.

What management? They have laid off all the sales managers. Stop hiring people only to lay them off several weeks or months later. Declare bankruptcy and close the doors Enough is enough. Now all they are doing is throwing good money after bad. Anyone and everyone that is still employed here is looking for another job. On any given day, lots of people are out on a vacation day or sick day - so they can interview for a new position elsewhere.

Run and Hide

Current Employee - Media and Marketing Sales Associate  in  King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Media and Marketing Sales Associate in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at Merion Matters full-time for more than a year

Pros

Receiving a paycheck on a bi-weekly basis

Cons

I drive without my seat belt on to work because I want to die before going to this job.
    The disdain in which the owners of this company treat their employees is sickening and getting worse by the day. The doors will be shutting in the very near future...happy to say goodbye

Additionally, they will hire any clown that sends in a application because of the outflowing revolving door.
    To any job seeker reading, please be aware of the obvious reviews planted on this site by the HR dept.

Sell it off while you still have assets...time is running out

Needs to be purchased by a company that knows what it's doing

I worked at Merion Matters full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people you work with are wonderful and the flex time is nice.

Cons

You can't count on your direct supervisor's support. The attitude here is "cover your backside." Business focus turned to online store, rather than the magazines.

Get new management.

6 years of layoffs and no end in sight

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Merion Matters full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fast paced environment. Loyal employees. Sales reps only work 40 hours a week. Job share options in sales are nice for working moms.

Cons

Limited opportunities in sales to make money or build a career. Layoffs started in 2008 and still continue regularly 6 years later.

Aug 15, 2014Corporate Communications Director

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Glassdoor. Yes, we have had some very challenging years and recognize that the continued evolution of the media industry means we still have ... More

Working with a lot of talented people

Current Employee - Manager  in  King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Manager in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at Merion Matters full-time

Pros

- Flex Schedule
    - Career Growth
    - PTO (roll over)
    - I have managed to learn a lot here with Merion and have stepped outside of my comfort zone.
    - Open Door policy w/ upper management
    - Wonderful team of colleagues to work with
    - Upper

Cons

- No emergency work plan for snow days (half the office can work from the home other half must utilize PTO - Communication is a little lacking.
    - Home-grown systems need updating

The office culture could use some help as the communication is lacking. Continue to listen to your staff.

Aug 7, 2014Corporate Communications Director

Thank you for the feedback on Glassdoor. We want you to know that we take your feedback seriously and will use what we can to improve and grow the organization.

Run for the hills.....

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Merion Matters

Pros

There are no pros for this company.

Cons

There isn't enough room here to list all the cons.

Get your resume updated....

Aug 7, 2014Corporate Communications Director

Thank you for taking the time to post on Glassdoor. We understand how things have changed over the years and expect to endure new challenges in the future, but we are committed to moving forward and ... More

The best benefit is getting laid off ... which you WILL experience

I worked at Merion Matters full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

They were all laid off.

Cons

I used to be proud to work at this place. The staff members were totally supportive. But then the bottom fell out and the company got rid of the best of the best to save money. They shot themselves in the foot by laying off the smartest and most devoted members of their staff who could've made the biggest difference. In less than five years, nearly all of the 30+ highly respected magazines have folded (in print and online). The company isn't even a shell of what it used to be., it's a shadow. If you're a young professional looking for a job here, they may hire you, but don't expect a raise or advancement. Instead, expect empty promises followed by constant anxiety that you may be the next they let go.

It's over. You kept the "yes" people and now you're paying for it. There are still a handful of good people there, but they're struggling to keep you afloat amongst staff who sleep at their desks and don't care if projects are finished on time. But they sure did a good job buttering up their managers. And this is who you choose to run your departments?Sell if you can.

Aug 7, 2014Corporate Communications Director

Thank you for posting feedback to Glassdoor. Yes, we are a different company today. We have endured a lot of difficult and unexpected challenges and have had to change, as has every company that ... More

Worked for Merion Matters? Contribute to the Community!