Merion Matters

Updated October 27, 2014
Updated October 27, 2014
2.2

Ann Kielinski

Pros
  • Work-life balance is good with the flex time (in 8 reviews)

• Flex time, and the ability to work from home two days a week after five years (this is in editorial, unsure about other departments) (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The sales people have left after 10 years because they can no longer make money (in 3 reviews)

• The IT group built an in-house app for product management where products coudn't be deleted or at least flagged as no longer available (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Never a dull moment

Current Employee - Manager in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Manager in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at Merion Matters full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Everyday is always different with new challenges. Most people in company very nice to work with. Management encourages ideas from all staff. Days fly by never a dull moment. Excellent work life balance
    Flex time

Cons

System challenges and having to do certain tasks manually which can be time consuming
    Reports not always accurate so not a lot of confidence in system

Keep trying to increase business and positive reinforcement to staff that achieves well
    Keep trying to get system to work for all your businesses.

Merion Matters Response

Aug 7, 2014Corporate Communications Director

Thank you for commenting on Glassdoor. We understand there are challenges and want you to know that we appreciate all feedback and will use what we can to improve and grow as an organization.

Can you give less than 1 star?

Current Employee - Blog Writer
    Current Employee - Blog Writer

I have been working at Merion Matters as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked for this company since 2008 when they first started their blogs. Back then it was a great company to work for. Communication was quick and accurate. Payment was on a monthly basis.

Cons

They DO NOT pay their invoices any more for their writers! I have not received a check in over 6 months but keep being told that everything has been invoiced and there is nothing my supervisor can do.

I do not know how you sleep at night. Shame on you for leading your writers on and not paying them what they are owed! That money was going to be put aside for my children for Christmas. Now I don't know how I'm going to be able to afford to give them any type of holiday celebration this year. Shame on you for your lies and the way your treat your writers! I hope one day you are put into the situation I am in now.

They have stopped paying bills. Don't do business with them.

I have been working at Merion Matters full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Was a good idea in its time. Create a magazine for each healthcare profession, sell ads, sell products, con professional organizations. This was a gold mine.

Cons

Greedy, incompetent owners. They rake in the money, shop, life an obscenely lavish lifestyle and ask staff to cut back. They slash staffing every few months so we have little to work with. they intimidate and pit one employee against another. They have stopped paying bills. I have been told to lie about invoices, tell writers the check is in the mail. I cultivate relationships with writers etc and now I have to tell them the hundreds of dollars owed will be paid, when I know they have stopped paying. We still make payroll, thank God. But who knows for how long> Dint do business with this company if you want to get paid.

Don't be so greedy. Cut back on production but also your excessive spending. Create a leaner organization, keep best editors and staff, pay writers

The company has stopped reimbursing travel expenses....

I have been working at Merion Matters

Pros

Flexible schedule
    Casual dress environment
    Work from home in bad weather

Cons

Poor communication throughout the entire company
    Travel expenses are not being reimbursed
    No long term growth or potential at all

Start looking for a job, because you won't be here for long....

A sinking ship.

I worked at Merion Matters

Pros

Fun environment if you establish close working relationships.

Cons

Upper-management throwing employees under the bus and taking credit for what their department completes, unpaid invoices with vendors which is giving Merion a bad name in the industry, and President listening to the absolute wrong people to acquire other departments they know nothing about or how to run.

Stop listening to the head of the department that plummeted years ago...Events.

A company that is soon to be out of business....

I have been working at Merion Matters full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some great people to work with - too bad so many of them get laid off or leave....

Cons

Working at a company that is losing money takes a tremendous toll on your mental health. No matter what you do or how much revenue you bring in, it is never enough. The constant threat of losing your job is enough to make you lose your mind. You can get a stellar review one week and be out of your job the next.

Stop hiring sales reps and then firing them weeks or months later. Come up with a business plan and stick to it.

Sales managers and co-workers are great, but Upper Management and ownership does not care about employees

Current Employee - Advertising Sales Representative in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Advertising Sales Representative in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at Merion Matters full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great co-workers
    Sales managers work closely with reps, give good advice, and work their tails off
    Work-life balance is good with the flex time. If you have a side gig, you might be able to swallow this job.

Cons

Upper management and ownership does not care about the employees at all. Layoffs constantly. Commission structure is horrible. You will be extremely lucky to bring in 40K. In my short 5 months there, I witnessed 12 people get laid off or quit at a moments notice. I was laid off, with my manager on vacation. That is not only disrespectful to me, but also to my manager. Reason for being laid off, numbers of course. But what is ironic is that at all of my last jobs, I have been a top 10% sales rep. If you can sell, consult, advise, whatever you might call it... this is NOT the job for you. You will not make money, and they will show you the door faster than you can blink your eyes.

To my direct managers, thank you for everything you taught me at ADVANCE. I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors. As for upper management, and the owners... I have nothing to say to you. Your company WAS good, now it is horrid, your print product is no good, your online websites do not get enough traffic to make sense to clients. I wish you the best, and I hope that you are able to turn your company around.

Does not pay writers.

Former Employee - Writer
    Former Employee - Writer

I worked at Merion Matters as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed writing about my profession. Good extra income for something I enjoyed, if I got paid.

Cons

You won't get paid if you are a contract worker/ blogger. They will lie and make excuses. When it had been 3 or months months since I was paid, I would ask to be paid, and would get a small check that did not catch up what was owed to me. I was always told that a "new system was being implemented" and that payment would become more regular, but that never happened.

Pay your employees. Stop lying.

Elvis has left the building

I worked at Merion Matters full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

This was once a great company to work for, back when it was known as Merion Publications. Lots of opportunity for talented people to advance their careers. Unfortunately the rise of online advertising and content distribution coupled with the financial downturn caught the company flatfooted. Layoffs began in 2008 and have been ongoing ever since. Once a company of around 500 employees, they are now down to under 200. On the plus side: if you can function well in a chaotic environment absent of strong leadership, clear communication and under near-constant threat of layoff, there is the flex time and casual office attire to enjoy. Benefits are fairly good, though not exceptional. You'll likely be called upon to perform many people's jobs, thereby enhancing your skill set and versatility. Coworkers are good people who happen to be caught up in a tough situation. I wish I could say things will probably improve but that just doesn't appear to be the case at this point. One thing should be noted: the company deserves credit for laying off employees rather than looking for excuses to fire them so they won't be able to collect unemployment.

Cons

Company instability, threat of layoffs, poor communication from upper management, dispirited workforce, longterm outlook for business viability appears poor.

Don't ruin your health stressing out about the company. It's not worth it.

Run and Hide

Current Employee - Media and Marketing Sales Associate in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Media and Marketing Sales Associate in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at Merion Matters full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Receiving a paycheck on a bi-weekly basis

Cons

I drive without my seat belt on to work because I want to die before going to this job.
    The disdain in which the owners of this company treat their employees is sickening and getting worse by the day. The doors will be shutting in the very near future...happy to say goodbye

Additionally, they will hire any clown that sends in a application because of the outflowing revolving door.
    To any job seeker reading, please be aware of the obvious reviews planted on this site by the HR dept.

Sell it off while you still have assets...time is running out