Merion Matters

Updated Jul 18, 2014

Ann Kielinski

Never a dull moment

Manager (Current Employee) King of Prussia, PA

ProsEveryday is always different with new challenges. Most people in company very nice to work with. Management encourages ideas from all staff. Days fly by never a dull moment. Excellent work life balance
    Flex time

ConsSystem challenges and having to do certain tasks manually which can be time consuming
    Reports not always accurate so not a lot of confidence in system

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep trying to increase business and positive reinforcement to staff that achieves well
    Keep trying to get system to work for all your businesses.

Run for the hills.....

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsThere are no pros for this company.

ConsThere isn't enough room here to list all the cons.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your resume updated....

The best benefit is getting laid off ... which you WILL experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThey were all laid off.

ConsI used to be proud to work at this place. The staff members were totally supportive. But then the bottom fell out and the company got rid of the best of the best to save money. They shot themselves in the foot by laying off the smartest and most devoted members of their staff who could've made the biggest difference. In less than five years, nearly all of the 30+ highly respected magazines have folded (in print and online). The company isn't even a shell of what it used to be., it's a shadow. If you're a young professional looking for a job here, they may hire you, but don't expect a raise or advancement. Instead, expect empty promises followed by constant anxiety that you may be the next they let go.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's over. You kept the "yes" people and now you're paying for it. There are still a handful of good people there, but they're struggling to keep you afloat amongst staff who sleep at their desks and don't care if projects are finished on time. But they sure did a good job buttering up their managers. And this is who you choose to run your departments?Sell if you can.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working with a lot of talented people

Manager (Current Employee) King of Prussia, PA

Pros- Flex Schedule
    - Career Growth
    - PTO (roll over)
    - I have managed to learn a lot here with Merion and have stepped outside of my comfort zone.
    - Open Door policy w/ upper management
    - Wonderful team of colleagues to work with
    - Upper

Cons- No emergency work plan for snow days (half the office can work from the home other half must utilize PTO - Communication is a little lacking.
    - Home-grown systems need updating

Advice to Senior ManagementThe office culture could use some help as the communication is lacking. Continue to listen to your staff.

Long-time employee who's seen it all

ProsFlexible hours. Can leave early on Friday's year round if you work enough hours during the week.

ConsCompany's financial struggles has caused them to lay-off employees for the past 6 years (500+ employees to below 200 currently).
    Salary freeze - I haven't received a raise in 4 years.
    HR controls allotment of raises. Even if you receive a perfect performance review, your boss does not have any control in your financial situation. Only HR knows your salary and they do not allow you to negotiate.

Advice to Senior ManagementMorale is terrible. Everyone tries to get in early just so they can leave as early as possible. Give employees more incentive to work to their full potential. If there's no promotion or raise on the horizon, what's the motivation?

New product ideas and better sales management are helping us change for the better

Editorial (Current Employee) King of Prussia, PA

ProsI have grown a lot personally during my time at Merion and have developed quite a few lasting friendships as well as a solid understanding of the publishing industry. Internal promotions are readily available, compensation is fair, and we now have an opportunity to work on a variety of new projects which I think is helping with overall employee growth and engagement.

ConsWork environment can be stressful, especially during deadline and it is sometimes challenging to understand company goals and expectations.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove communication on a company wide level. It would also be nice to see a few new employee retention and training programs offered.

Great First Job So Far

Sales Representative (Current Employee) King of Prussia, PA

ProsCompany offers good benefits, decent pay and flexible work schedules. The people are fun and really great to work with. I have learned a lot since I started and I like that there is opportunity for growth and that they have a variety of product lines that I can learn about.

ConsSome policies are a little confusing.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove communication and maybe come up with some fun incentives.

Growth potential and work environment improving!

Administration (Current Employee) King of Prussia, PA

ProsSalaries are well within the average ranges for the area, benefits package is decent, really nice flexible hours and management that's willing to work with busy personal schedules, and overall a really nice group of co-workers to interact with each and every day!

ConsAlthough efforts are constantly being made to improve growth and stability, patience is a major requirement at this time.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out there and "LISTEN" to your employees more often. There's a really good staff of people that are able to give constructive advice and support with all the changes that need to take place to improve the company's future growth potential.

Happy I made the change!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) King of Prussia, PA

ProsGreat work life family balance. Extremely friendly staff who try to do their best by each other in a sales environment where sales reps can increase their client base and earn. Consistently trying to do right by clients and give them options that work. Working towards change to carry them into next generation.

ConsSmall family owned company with some quirky proccesses but nothing you can't work with.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep trying new things - to adapt and change takes time and investment.

Great group of collaborative people all working to drive new business

Current Employee (Current Employee) King of Prussia, PA

ProsNew management team is all on the same page to improve business and it is working
    Hard work is appreciated and there are opportunities to earn good commissions and bonuses
    Employees are treated with respect
    Management takes the time to build a team and train them properly
    Employees opinions and ideas are acknowledged
    Very collaborative environment
    Flex time is available for almost everyone

ConsSome people like to complain and can spread rumors, but that you find everywhere

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work. The training and time spent with new and old employees is working and things are improving

Worked for Merion Matters? Contribute to the Community!