Merion Matters

Updated December 1, 2014
Updated December 1, 2014
2.2

Ann Kielinski

Pros
  • Work-life balance is good with the flex time (in 9 reviews)

• After 5 years, you can work from home two days a week (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management and ownership does not care about the employees at all (in 6 reviews)

• The sales people have left after 10 years because they can no longer make money (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to start off, if you last through layoffs

Former Employee - Editorial in King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Editorial in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at Merion Matters full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lack of adequate staffing leads to many opportunities to bolster resume with duties not offered in typical editorial positions such as art planning, web duties, planning and creating multimedia, representing company at job fairs. Flex time means you can work any time 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. so no rushing in the morning, no fear if traffic is terrible, you can leave early if you need to and make it up later in the week. No overtime, so 40 hours is 40 hours. After 5 years, you can work from home two days a week.

Cons

Owners/upper management have no clear direction and are floundering at every corner. HR makes terrible hiring decisions. Layoffs happen weekly, then owner shows surprise when people quit. Editorial was once warned in mid-May that there would be layoffs in the department - we didn't find out who until late July, when literally half the staff was cut. Every Friday was full of fear and not productive. Layoffs are frequent but the amount of work stays the same. The people who are left are expected to pick up all the work of those who were forced out - no way anyone can do that much work. Managers take credit for every ounce of work, despite not even knowing everything their peons do. Owners don't pay bills for shipping, freelance writers, even disability and 401k were behind at times. Very hard to communicate between departments and often get left with delayed projects due to other departments being swamped/not doing their share of the work. Salespeople outright said they weren't selling on certain pubs due to personal vendetta.

SELL THE COMPANY!!!

good people, difficult times

I have been working at Merion Matters full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people are mostly kind and smile. The culture is different from anywhere else I've worked. There are glimmers of Merion's past everywhere.

Cons

Very, very poor communication from executive management. There seems to be an elite group of senior managers, only half of whom are sufficiently intelligent or modern (though this is changing). And again, the executives need to communicate their vision and goals.

I am a current employee and have worked at Merion for a couple years. I feel compelled to address the negative reviews here, to attempt a different perspective.

Merion found a niche market and threw a good product at it. For a long time the company made excellent profits. The owners, aware of the value of loyalty and the importance of recognition, gave employees large increases and provided generous benefits and policies. It was easy to do so, and seemed an imperative when backed by such incredible success. It is also easy to not foresee a technological advance that would shatter several industries, publishing among them.

Now, post-apocalypse, the company is making changes to be heard and seen in a new and critical environment (the digital realm). There are long-term employees who are not able to adapt to such drastic changes, but were excellent in their capacity pre-apocalypse. And the company needs to continue to change and adapt to ensure its continuation.

Despite this difficult transition, their generosity is still evident. When someone is not effective, or when a sales person is not selling -- that salary serving what end instead of being provided to someone who can/will sell? -- they do not "fire" the person; they are laid off, they will receive unemployment. They provide severance. They still match 401k. When the company must choose between paying $100 owed to a freelancer or keeping the lights on, they choose to keep the lights on and the 200 other employees working (I wonder how those 200 employees would vote).

Also, the company is still here; the owners have not sold and they have not declared bankruptcy. They choose to stay and invest their time and wealth because they believe they can change the company's direction. There is still a niche market and an excellent product to provide. And the owners, while perhaps angry at the market change (and unfulfilled promises from past employees who only left damage), are doing what they can to navigate. They look for valuable new employees who know the market they are now in, and can help them succeed.

There are, however, those who have felt the pains of an untimely layoff, or an ineffective manager, or an unfulfilled debt. They are indeed the victims of business difficulties. And while it is understandable that they come here to voice their frustration and disappointment, what that does is ensure the company will never get that valuable new employee who might actually be a catalyst for the change Merion and its 200 employees need.

Very fortunate to be there when the company was a true 'start up'

I have been working at Merion Matters

Pros

Family friendly flexible work environment.

Cons

Needs to be ahead of the curve,not behind

Ask for more team feedback and set reasonable goals .

People Come, People Go...More People Go...Are More People Coming? No! More People Go!

I worked at Merion Matters full-time

Pros

This is a great place to work if you love layoffs. They're frequent and unannounced, so you get to wake up every morning with the thrill of not knowing if you still have a job when you arrive at the office. Best of all, with zero direction from management, you can do what ever the hell you want. That is, until you get laid off...

Cons

Unfortunately, as great as all those layoffs are, the end result is a staff that can't possibly keep up with all the work left behind. So...prepare to be feverishly over-tasked and grossly under-paid. But hey, look on the bright side. Its only a matter of time before you get laid off!

None. Keep up the great work. You're doing a bang up job!

This place is a joke

Former Employee - Inside Sales in King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at Merion Matters full-time (less than an year)

Pros

People are nice. Work life balance was great! Never a dull moment

Cons

Owners have no idea whats going on. Management was very sloppy. I saw the highest turn over rate ever.

If you want to make this place successful change with the times.

They have stopped paying bills. Don't do business with them.

I have been working at Merion Matters full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Was a good idea in its time. Create a magazine for each healthcare profession, sell ads, sell products, con professional organizations. This was a gold mine.

Cons

Greedy, incompetent owners. They rake in the money, shop, life an obscenely lavish lifestyle and ask staff to cut back. They slash staffing every few months so we have little to work with. they intimidate and pit one employee against another. They have stopped paying bills. I have been told to lie about invoices, tell writers the check is in the mail. I cultivate relationships with writers etc and now I have to tell them the hundreds of dollars owed will be paid, when I know they have stopped paying. We still make payroll, thank God. But who knows for how long> Dint do business with this company if you want to get paid.

Don't be so greedy. Cut back on production but also your excessive spending. Create a leaner organization, keep best editors and staff, pay writers

Can you give less than 1 star?

Current Employee - Blog Writer
    Current Employee - Blog Writer

I have been working at Merion Matters as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked for this company since 2008 when they first started their blogs. Back then it was a great company to work for. Communication was quick and accurate. Payment was on a monthly basis.

Cons

They DO NOT pay their invoices any more for their writers! I have not received a check in over 6 months but keep being told that everything has been invoiced and there is nothing my supervisor can do.

I do not know how you sleep at night. Shame on you for leading your writers on and not paying them what they are owed! That money was going to be put aside for my children for Christmas. Now I don't know how I'm going to be able to afford to give them any type of holiday celebration this year. Shame on you for your lies and the way your treat your writers! I hope one day you are put into the situation I am in now.

The company has stopped reimbursing travel expenses....

I have been working at Merion Matters

Pros

Flexible schedule
    Casual dress environment
    Work from home in bad weather

Cons

Poor communication throughout the entire company
    Travel expenses are not being reimbursed
    No long term growth or potential at all

Start looking for a job, because you won't be here for long....

A sinking ship.

I worked at Merion Matters

Pros

Fun environment if you establish close working relationships.

Cons

Upper-management throwing employees under the bus and taking credit for what their department completes, unpaid invoices with vendors which is giving Merion a bad name in the industry, and President listening to the absolute wrong people to acquire other departments they know nothing about or how to run.

Stop listening to the head of the department that plummeted years ago...Events.

A company that is soon to be out of business....

I have been working at Merion Matters full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some great people to work with - too bad so many of them get laid off or leave....

Cons

Working at a company that is losing money takes a tremendous toll on your mental health. No matter what you do or how much revenue you bring in, it is never enough. The constant threat of losing your job is enough to make you lose your mind. You can get a stellar review one week and be out of your job the next.

Stop hiring sales reps and then firing them weeks or months later. Come up with a business plan and stick to it.