Merit Medical Systems

Updated October 20, 2014
2.9

Merit Medical Systems Chairman, President, and CEO Fred P. Lampropoulos
Fred P. Lampropoulos

A decent company but they lack Business Sense!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Jordan, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Jordan, UT

I have been working at Merit Medical Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I work in the buiness offices so I can't speak to the clean-rooms and assembly lines but I think upper management genuinly cares about their employees and does their best to take care of them. Their time-off policies are nice and fair and coworkers and managers are very nice. Onsite Health Clinic with an excellent physician.

Cons

Office politics are everywhere! They offer a high deductible health insurance plan. There is to much upper managment and that upper management lacks good business sense. They don't know how to make good business decisions for the company to be profitable. Their training lacks and the company grew to fast so now it's going through major growing pains. Instead of cleaning up messes as they grew they just pushed things under the rug and said they'd address them later, now things are so big of a mess that no one wants to address the messes so they just keep overlooking them. This company is known for people getting some experience on their resumes and then going elsewhere for better job opportunities. The "lifers" stick around because they were around when the company started up but the younger generations seems to recognize the lack of business sense and turn over quickly.

Upper management surrounds themselves with "Yes Men." You need to surround yourself with people that will give you honest responses not people that are going to tell you whatever you want to here. You have to be willing to accept rejection and honesty from those who report to you if you expect quality results. Everything can't always be your way or the highway!

Great opportunity for growth and amazing co-workers.

I worked at Merit Medical Systems full-time

Pros

Personal and professional growth. I worked with a great group of people. Products and company have good reputation in the market place, access to senior leadership, the ability to really contribute and make a difference. Management has the right intent and does try to keep employees happy.

Cons

Raises can come infrequently. Layoffs, uncertainty at times in how the stock is doing and what that will affect. It often would affect raises or the 401K match would be put on hold when cost cutting needed to take place. Upper management over committing to new buildings, remodeling, acquisitions and thus put a financial strain on an otherwise very viable, sound company.

Balance the growth with what is fiscally sound. Don't look to cut employee benefits at the first chance you have because it makes the company look weak when it is not. Create a stronger well defined, people centered culture.

Good company to work for

I have been working at Merit Medical Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company culture, everyone is like family. The hours are flexible, benefits are good. It feels good to be part of a company that really wants to make a positive difference in peoples healthcare experience.

Cons

What can I say? Its a federally regulated environment, that means lots of paperwork and documentation. This can be a good and bad thing. Occasionally the company seems more focused on shareholders that employees, but that is a reality of the modern world we live in. Enough shareholders are fickle and childish to make an impact.

I have spoken with top management a few times, and always come away with the impression that they are dedicated to building a strong company with a focus on the future. The CEO has great personal investment in the products that we make and he treats his employees like family.

Its a good company to start off. For students

Current Employee - Team Leader in South Jordan, UT
    Current Employee - Team Leader in South Jordan, UT

I have been working at Merit Medical Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work is easy, fridays off, a lot of overtime if needed,

Cons

No raises, no bonuses, early schedule 4:30 am - 3 pm

Less nepotism

Great co-workers and flexibility with schedules

Former Employee - Regulatory
    Former Employee - Regulatory

I worked at Merit Medical Systems full-time

Pros

Flexibility, steady paycheck. CEO is a fearless leader and knows how to foster good work from his people. The secret to success at Merit is to make the CEO happy.

Cons

No career advancement; management not interested in developing employees or establishing career pathways; managers often aren't qualified to be managers (i.e. limited people skills, guidance, and knowledge); rampant cultural favoritism and nepotism. Hard work and dedication are rarely acknowledged; deviation from the dominant political affiliation should be kept to oneself.

Develop and invest in your employees. Show appreciation for their efforts. The company will benefit greatly from this.

fyi

I worked at Merit Medical Systems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Family values seem important, less so the closer to the top you are.

Cons

CEO EGO lack of true leadership.

The company cares about you.

Current Employee - Engineering Technician IV in South Jordan, UT
    Current Employee - Engineering Technician IV in South Jordan, UT

I have been working at Merit Medical Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fred, the CEO really cares about all employees and will bend over backward to make sure that everyone has the resources they need to do a good job. On site medical clinic. Good cafeteria. Very focused work environment.

Cons

The company is growing fast and there is a lot of change. I was moved out of my desk to different locations 5 times in the first month I worked here

Excellent co-workers, poor work-life balance and senior management very distrustful

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

I worked at Merit Medical Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People who work there are great, direct manager was willing to teach and train you, they encourage lateral moves within sites/departments.

Cons

No chance for growth in the same career path, Nickle and dime every second of your PTO. Absolutely horrible inclement weather policy. They do not allow to work from home even for those that can perform their work remotely. Too many after-the-fact policies. They are incapable of addressing issues specifically without generating another even more confusing policy. High turnover rates. CEO micro manages all projects and personally has to sign all ECNs which makes approvals processes very long. Obsolete technologies for employees.

Please try to have a retention policy, I did not want to leave but was not even asked if there was something they could do to keep me.

Great workplace!!

I worked at Merit Medical Systems

Pros

Whole environment is very nice and helpful!

Cons

Nothing really. Really enjoyed working there.

Hostile work environment, low pay, promises broken

Current Employee - Document Control in South Jordan, UT
    Current Employee - Document Control in South Jordan, UT

I have been working at Merit Medical Systems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pay check every other week, clean work environment, great people to work with.

Cons

Very hostile work environment, managers, supervisors not educated, people skills are not good. Managers show favoritism to some donot treat each employee the same. No raises given, need to change positions to get a pay raise. HR allows managers to mistreat employees, they backup Managers even when they have done wrong. CEO and board members only care about their own pockets and forget they promised there hard working employees pay raises and bonus's right before Christmas (Oh yah your not getting one ) Fred only likes to hear his own voice and always makes it sound likes he's doing us a favor because we have a job and were a dime a dozen and if we don't like it there's the door.
    Drunk supervisor but the Manager doesn't do anything about it .

Be honest, be fair, treat us hard working employes with respect, and acknowledge our hard work. Don't be a hypocrite, don't hold us to a higher standard than your work ethics are below par.
    Stop all the jokes that are not funny, your not funny, we laugh because we have to your our boss but your not funny.