Merit Medical Systems Reviews

Merit Medical Systems Chairman, President, and CEO Fred P. Lampropoulos
Fred P. Lampropoulos

1. Good company that could be great

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Jordan, UT

I have been working at Merit Medical Systems (More than a year)

Pros

There are many great people who genuinely care about a good work/life balance. Many employees have been there a long time. Good job security in most departments. Decent benefits.

Cons

Vast nepotism among staff. Other staff are questionably qualified friends. And others have been with the company for a long time, but they shouldn't be in a high ranking position and they cause unnecessary damage. Despite all of this, the company continues to be successful. The pay is also average/below average.

Advice to Management

You love your family and friends, but they have fired or run off some very good people. The company could be even better without the entitlement and undeserved promotions for family and friends.

2. I would highly recommend to keep looking else where.

Former Employee - R&D Engineer in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - R&D Engineer in Malvern, PA

I worked at Merit Medical Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The Malvern site is willing to work with you on times of working hours.

Cons

You will go years before you receive a raise or bonus.

Advice to Management

Management is very scarred to promote of fight for employs

3. Pee-on at merit

I worked at Merit Medical Systems

Pros

Sometimes Fridays and Saturdays off. Always Sunday.

Cons

Unfair work environment. Low pay. No respect from office personnel. No incentives. Discrimination. Low pay, low pay, low pay etc......

Advice to Management

Quit treating the clean room workers like trash. We are the reason you are making the big "bucks".

5. 50/50

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Angleton, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Angleton, TX

I have been working at Merit Medical Systems (More than a year)

Pros

Monday-Thurs. Holidays off. Pay is decent.

Cons

Drama, favoritism, short breaks. Sore hands. Mean bosses.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect.

6. Ambitious company

I worked at Merit Medical Systems full-time

Pros

Engaged/enthusiastic senior leaders Global company with room to develop career Salt Lake is a great place to raise a family Great work/life balance

Cons

Consistency in corporate profit growth still developing, reflected in up&down stock price.

Advice to Management

Keep the communication with the rank-and-file open

7. It was a good experience until mid-management was needed

I worked at Merit Medical Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you are under a good manager (aka most of the day shift) , it's great you can move up with in the company and are thanked for your hard work. Tha owner really cares about what he is doing and is a great person

Cons

Because of life changes I needed to change to night shift, and because of that I had to deal with some mid management that would string me along for weeks until I went over their head (not something I would normally do) then when switching to nights I found that basically I had basically stopped progressing and I was treated like a lower class person because I didn't hold the same title as them. Because of how I was treated and no ability to progress I quit. I would probably be still working there if life allowed me to work the day shift. (It felt like a completely different company) My rating will reflect night shift

Advice to Management

Pay attention to mid management and your night leads. They are the reason why it is hard to keep people working there

Basically a good company to work for

I have been working at Merit Medical Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

2 weeks a year vacation- 1.5 weeks PTO.

Cons

No raises without promotion. Health insurance is a high deductible plan, very expensive. Constantly being told to cut costs, lower pay than similar companies.

Advice to Management

People would stay and work here if they were paid and valued more. Being told to cut costs constantly, while hearing about record sales is disheartening.

Average company: not the worst, not the best...definitely better other existing companies.

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in South Jordan, UT
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in South Jordan, UT

I worked at Merit Medical Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun people to work with, good place to get some experience, cool products, and relatively flexible work schedule.

Cons

Generally employees are underpaid significantly in comparison to national averages and benefits are average. Annual raises, cost of living raises, and bonuses are non-existent. Financially the company seems to be doing good but somehow they struggle to manage it efficiently and even with big gains they don’t give back to their employees and even overspend (i.e. the 401K was cut for 8+ months due to overspending). Management makes lots of “empty” promises to employees and never fulfills them. The company lacks opportunities for career development and growth.

Advice to Management

Learn to valve your employees and make them a true investment in your company (10+ salaried positions leaving by their own choice within the last 18 months isn’t a good track record). Learn to effectively budget your finances and don’t leave your financial burdens on your employees. Stop making empty promises to the employees and be honest (it is better to be honest than to lie to your employees).

Nepotism at a publically traded company

I worked at Merit Medical Systems full-time

Pros

The professionalism of other employees and their dedication and loyalty.

Cons

Compensation is usually on the low end of the spectrum. Unethical in business practices regarding bonuses. After promising bonuses and reviewing criteria throughout the year, they were not paid, citing "bonuses are discretionary". Personal growth can be somewhat limited. The CEO surrounds himself with "yes" men and bypasses the chain of command. There is significant nepotism in the ranks as his wife, son, and 2 brother's-in-law hold executive positions. He also rules through intimidation. Those who challenge him find themselves without. Executive meetings can be rather bizarre. One must be prepared to talk about anything. You may discuss what is on the agenda, or the CEO may sing and play a song on the guitar. Hours are spent preparing for contingent topics for a simple review meeting. Mergers and aquisitions are questionable and the due diligence is not very good. Look at the results of the acquisitions/agreements over the past few years.

Advice to Management

Have some integrity and honor your commitments to your people. Sometimes a divergent thought is helpful to get other perspectives. Stick to the stated topic of the meeting and you will be shocked at the greater efficiency you will get from your teams.

11. Stable company with good goals and ethical practices

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Jordan, UT

I have been working at Merit Medical Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Stability, good financials, good leadership, vision for what is to come. Recent years have seemed focused on growth, coming years appear to focus more on profitability and tracking to be a $1-5B business.

Cons

No cons worth mentioning, sometimes it's hard to keep up with the growth and changes.

Advice to Management

Based on the current goals of the company, I would ask the management to keep doing what they are doing.

RSS Feed </> Embed