Meritage Homes

Be The First To
Add Photos

Meritage Homes Chairman and CEO Steve Hilton

Steve Hilton

Good environment to grow your knowledge about residential construction

Purchasing Coordinator (Current Employee) Houston, TX

Prosfriendly working environment
    good office location
    treat both employees and customers well

ConsNot available at this time (so far so good)

Advice to Senior Managementcompany should focus on keeping interns and those who work well by offering good full time position and good salary

Sales

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsPay is good and division leadership is soild. If you get the right communities you can really do well.

ConsCorporate side needs to take a step back. Lot's of silly things to put up with in sales.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess shops and other silly things that do not make us better

Great pay, and that's about it

Online Sales (Current Employee) Scottsdale, AZ

ProsGreat compensation
    Energy efficient homes
    Clean work environment

ConsPoor management structure; lots of bureaucracy and red tape
    Corruption within departments; inability to bring issues up without fear of reprisal
    Work is your #1 priority to everything else, including family
    No company culture
    Very poor healthcare benefits

Advice to Senior ManagementEvaluate the leadership of each department to see how how they treat their employees and perform their day to day duties. Give employees a chance to give honest feedback without fear of reprisal from their management team. Investigate and eliminate corruption within departments. Establish a company culture that promotes family life instead of penalizing it. Encourage the CEO to speak to his employees instead of alienating them.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Training

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThe training process is very thorough for this industry.
    Great land acquisition department
    Pricing ranges from entry level to luxury
    Heavy emphasis on energy efficiency

ConsWe are currently going through a period where it's taking a long time to start the building process
    We are required to use Salesforce (which is a great CRM software) but it is a struggle for those who aren't very computer literate.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a bottleneck in the starts department. We need more people in the design center.

I'm trying to help you out, please stay away from this company

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsHonestly, they build the best home out there. The engineering in the home is amazingly energy efficient.

ConsI've never been so lied-to and lead-on in my entire life. I was hired on as a sales trainee and I exceeded all goals that were set out for me. When they hired me, they said I was in a 90 day training period and said it was going to be no time before they placed me in a community. Everytime I met with my executives, it was like a big cheerleading convention for you. I've been used as cheap labor and I have still yet to be paid like any other sales associate while making just as many sales.

Advice to Senior ManagementCome up with a better way to comunicate between departments. It's like hell to get anything done for the good of the customer. DONT LIE TO YOUR EMPLOYEES.

I love going to work every day!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsIf you are a hard worker management will make sure you receive opportunities for advancement. They want you to have a career not just a job.

Great pay and health insurance.

A good amount of vacation days even in your first year.

Great people.

Great office.

Constantly throw events for the employees, giving them meritage merchandise and catered lunches.

Largely involved in the community promoting free days off to do charity events.

ConsNeeds better cross departmental communication but management seems to be aware and is working to improve.

Frustrating

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsDecent pay, growing and we'll positioned company.

ConsPoor divisional leadership that feels like they set you up for failure. Instead of valuing the employees opinions they force unpractical processes and initiatives down your throat. Many people who are either under qualified or so burnt out by this that they just go through the motions and seem like they're just there for a check rather than real problem solving or forward thinking.

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-evaluate your division president, find someone that will stop letting the sales force dictate the way business is done. Coniston based employees rarely think in terms of the greater good of the company. The company has so much promise if you would just refresh leadership and weed out a couple bad apples. That would go a long way towards morale and productivity.

My worst professional experience in over 35 years in the industry

Key Manager At Division Level (Former Employee) DFW, TX

ProsNothing to report here - unless high turnover is considered a pro - which I am sure executive leadership thinks this way

ConsMicro managed from the corporate office. People in AZ have no understanding of local issues. Very inexperienced corporate staff that will not have any idea of how to support local operations.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of COO and his entire staff

Extremely High Turnover......Why?

ProsTop Ten builder. Energy efficient homes.

ConsWorking here was...........well an experience. Extremely high turnover at both management and lower levels. Many company policies didn't make sense. Sometimes it seemed that management didn't know what they were doing and I often wondered how certain people got the jobs they had. Some of the high level managers were alarmingly young and seemed to lack experience. The way the division operated was confusing. Some departments were overstaffed and some were extremely understaffed. This may have been the case because Division and Regional upper management did not listen to or respect the mid-level division managers who are much more in tune with staffing needs.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat works in Arizona does not work everywhere. The Divisions should have more of a say when it comes to operating in their respective regions. People who have lived and worked in an area for many years tend to know more about the local market than someone in Arizona looking at a spreadsheet. Hire people who have experience working in the local area, not people who are from other parts of the State and don't know the details of the local market.

Most employees are team players and it was a pleasure being a part of the team

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Scottsdale, AZ

ProsHomebuilding business is challenging and a team effort. When business is good bonuses are good. Team b

ConsSlump in the economy has negative affect on job security, salary increases, lack of bonuses and sufficient staff

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a lack of respect for VP of Phoenix division based on favoritism. And the general counsel is unapproachable. VP of Finance is a role model for senior management.

Worked for Meritage Homes? Contribute to the Community!