Meriter Health Services

Updated Jul 5, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jim Woodward

Working at Meriter was very rewarding.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Madison, WI

ProsThe management is great and they spend a lot of time rewarding workers.

ConsThere is not a great path for continued growth in a position.

Great people, fair compensation.

ProsEnjoyed opportunities to work on a wide range of projects at a small community hospital. Teams worked very well together and many employees stayed for 30+ years.

ConsChanges in leadership had a negative impact on culture for some resulting in some of the best people leaving in 2014.

Great staff great docs and great management

Housekeeper (Current Employee) Madison, WI

Prosstrong esprit de corps
    put patinets first
    super friednlya nd caring staff
    visible and involved leadership
    strong communication from leadership to staff--especially from CEO

Consstaffing levels always seem to be fluctauting; would be nice to have more balance
    always seem to be picked on by cross town rival UW Health

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the good work and keep an eye on staffing when voluems pick up

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was fun

Gift Shop Assistant (Current Employee) Madison, WI

ProsFriendly customers and coworker and pleasant workplace

ConsHours aren't too good, more hours would be better.

Meriter Experience

Tray Passer (Former Employee) Madison, WI

ProsCleanly and Beautiful Hospital, Pays Well

ConsManagement is Terrible, Acuity is Low

It was a learning experience. It was my first time working with any medical field and on the corporate side of things.

Marketing Intern (Former Employee) Madison, WI

ProsHad the opportunity to work with some great people and learn things about the corporate side of business, which was new to me.

ConsIt was a pretty boring job. Very office-y feeling, which just isn't my style. It was a bit mundane and repetitive.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to let the intern "own" a project. I know that was the goal for me, and my availability sort of messed that up.

Total disconnect between management and clinical staff

Unit RN (Former Employee) Madison, WI

ProsServing and supporting health, spirit, and healing for patients and families; terrific co-workers; RN's treated better than other support staff, wonderful Palliative Care Team, some good physicians, good cardiac unit.

ConsExtremely deceitful management, focused only on bottom line, to detriment of patient and family care and staff morale; poor communication of goals (change often); financially reward top management much more than deserved; lowered reputation in community in past few years, lack of awareness of connection between excellent/adequate spiritual care and pt healing: just not well-integrated across disciplines. As with all healthcare, too much RN leadership and not enough representation of other disciplines (and I'm an RN!).

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote greater self-care for staff; integrate holitic practices more fully, stop lying to staff, get more disciplines involved in leadership; respect all disciplines' contributions and pay for these justly.

Great hospital to work for

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Madison, WI

ProsI'm a physician employed by Meriter, in the Meriter Medical Group. Meriter is pouring resources into this group, and sincerely seems interested in develop the group into a quality group that is competitive in all respects to other multispecialty groups. Management has improved vastly from five years ago, and the current CEO and COO are stellar.

ConsAny hospital has it's bureaucratic issues, and Meriter is no exception. At times it seems difficult to effect small changes or improvements without undue process or delay, especially if money is involved.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work, and continue to focus on making processes and resources focused on good and efficient patient care.

Overall not a bad experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Madison, WI

ProsFlexible work hours, days great wage and benefit programs great night shift diff. Very little interaction with management. Friendly atmosphere

ConsUnrealistic work load with little understanding of what my position did at all. Upper management decisions on how to improve that didn't quite fit.

Advice to Senior ManagementTimes are only going to get tougher you need to decided what type of hospital you want to be in the future now.

Meriter as an employer.

Medical Technician (Former Employee) Madison, WI

ProsMany employees have been around a long time. this is helpful in the fact that they have a great deal of knowledge about their jobs. Most are willing to lend a hand and step outside of their comfort zones in order to work as a team. THe benefits are great. Health insurance premiums are low, paid time off includes sick and personal days as well as all the holidays. There are opportunties to move to different positions as Meriter really likes to retain current employees and hire from within. This allows them to keep

ConsLots of cliques. But you have those no matter where you work. It is hard to get in unless you know someone who already works there and can put in the good word for you. The application process is also quite long and drawn out. The interview process is tedious. You can expect three or more interviews beofre you have a clue one way or the other if an offer is going to come through. You can expect three or more interviews before you have a clue one way or the other if an offer is going to come through.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore employee accounatbility.

Worked for Meriter Health Services? Contribute to the Community!