Meritor Reviews

Updated September 15, 2014
Updated September 15, 2014
3.1

Ivor J. "Ike" Evans

Pros
  • Great people with a tremendous amount of experience and knowledge (in 6 reviews)

• Interesting challenging work in a challenging industry (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • There seems to be a lack of long-term concrete plan and a 'stick to the plan' follow-through (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

The company has many things going for it

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI

I have been working at Meritor full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great employees! Strong products in heavy duty automotive, industrial and military applications. Good financial performance is shared with employees through annual bonus targets. Company holidays are mostly standard for automotive (which is much better than many industries).

Cons

Not a lot of upward mobility. One must network and make their own opportunities. Some of the more progressive policies (flexible work hours, remote work options, et cetera) have been minimized/discontinued. Staffing trends in the last couple of years have focused on acquiring younger less expensive resources.

My advice is to understand what the employees are able to contribute and to setup policies to utilize that talent. Recognize employees and build a culture where truly the employee is the most important asset.

Great opportunity for someone my age.

Current Employee - Engineering Co-Op  in  Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Engineering Co-Op in Troy, MI

I have been working at Meritor full-time for less than a year

Pros

Well developed co-op program, there are 40+ of us in the building. I am a college student. The pay is decent and the experience is raw. Managers are very understanding of my student status and are willing to work around my class schedule.

Cons

I dont really have much bad to say, I have only been here for 3 months. Sometimes managment doesn't take my ideas seriously, but it's somewhat understandable due to my position and lack of experience in the industry.

Excellent company dedicated to growth and financial stability.

Current Employee - Program Manager  in  Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Troy, MI

I have been working at Meritor full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Incredible team-oriented people devoted to meeting the program and company goals. Management listens to staff and provides excellent leadership in company direction and how to achieve the common goals.

Cons

Large work load which leads to difficulty in managing work/life balance and provides several opportunities for stress development. Conversely, this presents several opportunities to shine.

Consider developing more core competencies to enable less reliance on the supply base

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great People- lacks long term strategy

Current Employee - Director  in  Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Director in Troy, MI

I have been working at Meritor full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great People, great products, customer love them!

Cons

Lacks consistent long term vision
    Lots of diversity talk- little actions

Develop and over communicate long term strategy- walk the talk on diversity!

Excellent level expected professional rigor, exposure to global organization, and personal growth as a consequence

Current Employee - Director of Marketing  in  Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Director of Marketing in Troy, MI

I have been working at Meritor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working colleagues were passionate as well as highly professional

Cons

Significant turn over due to changing economic product strategies led to promotions as well as departures.

Eliminate a rolling five year strategy. It needs to be a fixed plan based on achieving specific metrics

Losing ground

I worked at Meritor part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Nice people to work with. Ever changing patient population which kept the job fun.

Cons

A lot of change with focus on the bottom line. People were used to working one way and then the bottom line became more important. Staff was not sure how to deal with the change. Employees appeared to be very stressed out.

Better information on changes.

This used to be a great place to work! They had great management, and always championed people who wanted to move ahead

Former Employee - Human Resources  in  Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Troy, MI

I worked at Meritor full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I worked there over 10 years and loved it! I would still be there if it weren't for the spin off of LVS that failed.

Cons

Starting in 2005, the layoffs of senior and middle aged people began. With those layoffs went the knowledge. Systematically employees over 45 were let go. My last manager had a habit of delegating work then taking credit for doing it. This was the exact opposite of my first manager, who always championed everyone one his staff to move forward if they wanted. Yes with the older people gone, some bad habits go, but with all of them gone all the intricacies go with them. Lack of diversity in management.

A balance of new, young employees and older, seasoned employees is needed. Don't promote people to management if they cannot manage! Micromanaging doesn't work. It seems you've lost perspective and you need to find it before this company no longer exists. I don't know the current CEO but liked Chip McClure.

A once great company systematically destroyed by executive leader's lack of concern for its employees.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI

I worked at Meritor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people with a tremendous amount of experience and knowledge. Ability to work on multiple projects, globally.

Cons

Senior leaderships' complete lack of respect for employees (especially HR). Always concerned with only the financial ROI. Lack of career development, weak succession planning and non-existant workforce planning. HR function relegated to that of simple administrative order takers from strategic business partner. Complete lack of strategic HR functional leadership.

Focusing solely on the bottomline (ROI), at the expense of respecting your employees contributions, will continue to fuel your top contributors' desire to find employment elsewhere.

Once a good place - now it's up in the air..

I have been working at Meritor full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good paying company. Rewards those that excel. You control your destiny. Company is working toward building a stronger upper management.

Cons

Lack of long term strategy. Management - eyes are bigger than their stomach. No development for employees. As you move up the chain, you will be expected to work many long hours - 50 to 60+. As times have gotten tougher, the politics have increased exponentially the past couple of years.

Invest in your biggest asset to grow the company - your employees.

Meritor - Good Manufacturing experience and excellent people to work with

I worked at Meritor full-time

Pros

Great people to work with at Corporate headquarters and plants.
    Team environment supporting plants and in projects.
    Great experience in Automotive Manufacturing supporting tier one supplier.
    Solid Management and leadership.

Cons

Some manufacturing systems not user friendly
    Company has reduce workforce, leading to overwork of some departments.
    Career Opportunities for staff not a priority of management

Again, solid management with aggressive managers

Worked for Meritor? Contribute to the Community!