Meritor

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Ivor J. "Ike" Evans

Pros
  • Great people with a tremendous amount of experience and knowledge(in 6 reviews)

• Interesting challenging work in a challenging industry(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • There seems to be a lack of long-term concrete plan and a 'stick to the plan' follow-through(in 3 reviews)

Great opportunity for someone my age.

Engineering Co-Op (Current Employee) Troy, MI

ProsWell developed co-op program, there are 40+ of us in the building. I am a college student. The pay is decent and the experience is raw. Managers are very understanding of my student status and are willing to work around my class schedule.

ConsI dont really have much bad to say, I have only been here for 3 months. Sometimes managment doesn't take my ideas seriously, but it's somewhat understandable due to my position and lack of experience in the industry.

Excellent company dedicated to growth and financial stability.

Program Manager (Current Employee) Troy, MI

ProsIncredible team-oriented people devoted to meeting the program and company goals. Management listens to staff and provides excellent leadership in company direction and how to achieve the common goals.

ConsLarge work load which leads to difficulty in managing work/life balance and provides several opportunities for stress development. Conversely, this presents several opportunities to shine.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider developing more core competencies to enable less reliance on the supply base

Great People- lacks long term strategy

Director (Current Employee) Troy, MI

ProsGreat People, great products, customer love them!

ConsLacks consistent long term vision
    Lots of diversity talk- little actions

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop and over communicate long term strategy- walk the talk on diversity!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent level expected professional rigor, exposure to global organization, and personal growth as a consequence

Director of Marketing (Current Employee) Troy, MI

ProsWorking colleagues were passionate as well as highly professional

ConsSignificant turn over due to changing economic product strategies led to promotions as well as departures.

Advice to Senior ManagementEliminate a rolling five year strategy. It needs to be a fixed plan based on achieving specific metrics

Losing ground

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNice people to work with. Ever changing patient population which kept the job fun.

ConsA lot of change with focus on the bottom line. People were used to working one way and then the bottom line became more important. Staff was not sure how to deal with the change. Employees appeared to be very stressed out.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter information on changes.

This used to be a great place to work! They had great management, and always championed people who wanted to move ahead

Human Resources (Former Employee) Troy, MI

ProsI worked there over 10 years and loved it! I would still be there if it weren't for the spin off of LVS that failed.

ConsStarting in 2005, the layoffs of senior and middle aged people began. With those layoffs went the knowledge. Systematically employees over 45 were let go. My last manager had a habit of delegating work then taking credit for doing it. This was the exact opposite of my first manager, who always championed everyone one his staff to move forward if they wanted. Yes with the older people gone, some bad habits go, but with all of them gone all the intricacies go with them. Lack of diversity in management.

Advice to Senior ManagementA balance of new, young employees and older, seasoned employees is needed. Don't promote people to management if they cannot manage! Micromanaging doesn't work. It seems you've lost perspective and you need to find it before this company no longer exists. I don't know the current CEO but liked Chip McClure.

A once great company systematically destroyed by executive leader's lack of concern for its employees.

(Former Employee) Troy, MI

ProsGreat people with a tremendous amount of experience and knowledge. Ability to work on multiple projects, globally.

ConsSenior leaderships' complete lack of respect for employees (especially HR). Always concerned with only the financial ROI. Lack of career development, weak succession planning and non-existant workforce planning. HR function relegated to that of simple administrative order takers from strategic business partner. Complete lack of strategic HR functional leadership.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocusing solely on the bottomline (ROI), at the expense of respecting your employees contributions, will continue to fuel your top contributors' desire to find employment elsewhere.

Once a good place - now it's up in the air..

ProsGood paying company. Rewards those that excel. You control your destiny. Company is working toward building a stronger upper management.

ConsLack of long term strategy. Management - eyes are bigger than their stomach. No development for employees. As you move up the chain, you will be expected to work many long hours - 50 to 60+. As times have gotten tougher, the politics have increased exponentially the past couple of years.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your biggest asset to grow the company - your employees.

Meritor - Good Manufacturing experience and excellent people to work with

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people to work with at Corporate headquarters and plants.
    Team environment supporting plants and in projects.
    Great experience in Automotive Manufacturing supporting tier one supplier.
    Solid Management and leadership.

ConsSome manufacturing systems not user friendly
    Company has reduce workforce, leading to overwork of some departments.
    Career Opportunities for staff not a priority of management

Advice to Senior ManagementAgain, solid management with aggressive managers

Great place to work, good people and a very professional atmosphere

ProsProfessional and very helpful group of people.

ConsNone that i can think of.

Worked for Meritor? Contribute to the Community!