Merkle

Be The First To
Add Photos

Merkle Chairman and CEO David Williams

David Williams

Pros
  • Many smart people--from bottom to top there are many (in 28 reviews)

• Work/life balance: Availability to work from home occasionally really helps with work/life balance (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Running hard means work life balance sometimes suffers (in 16 reviews)

• If you are not in senior management you have no chance to obtain this award (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights
64 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Very positive experience - and continues to improve

Senior Director (Current Employee) Columbia, MD

ProsMerkle is always on top of what is going on in the marketplace. That makes it a great place to learn and grow professionally. The culure we work in is very important to our Sr Management team and recieves a lot of attention by our People department as well.

ConsWith all our growth it's hard to solidify repeatable processes. People try but get distracted. I don't see this as unusual and I have seen improvements as time goes on. I would like to see that be more consistent

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to work on embedding top notch repeatable processes in all tha twe do

Challenge yourself mentally, and push your self with a competent team.

Vice President (Current Employee) Columbia, MD

ProsMerkle focuses on clutural fit first. There are lots of smart people out there, but the key is to find the smart folks who are passionate about what they do, and know how to laugh at each other and themselves.

A truly stimulating environment where hard work and initiative gets rewarded. In all my years I have never worked with the talent I work with here, and after 5 years, I have yet to find someone I wouldn't have a beer with on my own time.

People here are best described as interesting and interested.

ConsThe nature of the client focus results in little time available to interact with your peers/colleagues.

This is not an environment in which to catch your breath. Come to Merkle to work hard (not to hide).

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to do what you do, and keep the books open for the team.
    Perhaps less time spent thinking about new titles for the internal roles would be beneficial as well.

Its OK, it can be much much better though. All the ingredients are there.

Lead Marketing Analyst (Current Employee) Columbia, MD

ProsTalent is amazing - some really smart people in the organization. Deal with very marketing projects and work very relevant and in high demand in the current economy.

ConsConstant changes, not always due to a good reason. Poor attrition rate, due to burn-out or dissatisfaction, both really common with most exits.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure it out

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall not Bad.

Senior Director (Current Employee) Columbia, MD

ProsGood work ethics. People seem to want to get it done. Great place to learn and work on new technologies. There is great transparency from the Management on what's going in the company.

ConsEvery couple of years management makes random and big changes. The Anti-Peoples department (HR) is the worse and should be replaced.

Advice to Senior ManagementOne change you should make is let go the whole peoples department.

You get back what you put in...mostly

Senior Director (Current Employee) Columbia, MD

ProsMerkle is a very challenging place to work, because it only wants people that are willing to work hard and are motivated by getting things done...and stretchy your capabilities to do so. People that survive the whiplash of getting through the door are typically the ones willing to do anything and everything...because they WANT to. People that don't, are those that are in it for the 9-5 and a paycheck. Work hard and you will be rewarded.

ConsAt mid to senior management levels (short of exec level), people are not as well paid and are also not incented by a realistic bonus plan or profit sharing.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet people that have worked at Merkle for 8-10+ years involved in some profit-sharing, stock plan, or something that could lead to a nice payday in the event that the company is sold or goes public. These are the people that have grown the company from 400 employees to 1700 employees and somewhere around 10x the revenue over that time period. Reward them for their hard work and LOYALTY.

Create an official plan around donation matching to charitable organizations. It seems you are willing to contribute, but only to select things. Why not just say you'll match 50% to any charitable donation made by an employee up to like $1000/year? That'd go a long way for those that are charitable.

Perfect Opportunity for the Right People

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Columbia, MD

ProsProgressive management team commiteed to growth and grabbing market share
    Great people - ridiculously smart and fun to be around
    Opportunities for learning and growth are everwhere - Merkle University is a huge plus - I have all of the training I need to stay ahead of my peers
    The company is not afraid to innovate through acquisition - in sucha fast-paced and technologically evolving business, this is a great competitive advantage.
    The ability to work remotely is a huge selling point - I can live anywhere, really, as long as I get the job done.
    Dream grants are awesome - have seen many employees get opportunities to pursue wild and crazy dreams ont he company dime - who does that any more?

ConsHard to get everything done each day - I leave the end of most days wondering where the time went
    Being a growth company sometimes means longer hours and making sacrifices

Advice to Senior ManagementBe bolder and go faster.
    Quit "reorg"-ing and focus on executing on the strategy you have in place.

Great place to work at growing company

ProsTechnically smart people
    Growing fast company
    Management understands challenges and is looking at ways to make it a better place

ConsLack of processes but company is working on putting a framework
    At times it feels hectic, long hours are expected

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open to listening to employees & apprciating the ones that want to help fix

Clueless Senior management needs help!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Columbia, MD

ProsGreat People...very nice building. Free drinks!

ConsThere is never any positive feedback from management. You can work very hard and you can add value to this firm but you will never feel like you have done enough.
    also look at the make up of upper management....this will tell you a lot.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need new thought leadership at the top...Get rid of the dead weight....Add some diversity.

No work life balance

Technical Lead (Current Employee) Columbia, MD

ProsMerkle does pay their people well, there are lots of opportunity for growth, and the project work can be interesting.

ConsNot a place to work if you have a social life. Most people are overworked, project usually have unrealistic timelines. You are expected to work 45-50 hours a week, sometimes at night and on weekends just to meet a deadline.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou say your people are what make you successful, but you constantly ask too much from them and never make it up in any way.

Be prepared to work double-time

Solutions Manager (Former Employee) Columbia, MD

ProsThe employess were incredibly smart! Lots of amazing talent. Even though it was an aggressive environment there were great relationships amongst coworkers.

ConsLots of turnover - job burnout - aggressive delivery timelines - long hours. Projects often were disrupted because someone left the company. Sales often over promised which caused difficulties when attempting to deliver to the SOW.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management that was there is now gone so hopefully the new management offers work life balance.

Worked for Merkle? Contribute to the Community!