Merkle Reviews in Columbia, MD

Updated August 20, 2014
3.4

Merkle Chairman and CEO David Williams
David Williams

Pros
  • Many smart people--from bottom to top there are many (in 28 reviews)

• Work/life balance: Availability to work from home occasionally really helps with work/life balance (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Running hard means work life balance sometimes suffers (in 16 reviews)

• If you are not in senior management you have no chance to obtain this award (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

68 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Hoping it gets better...

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager  in  Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Merkle full-time for less than a year

Pros

salary, flexibility, company on-boarding is well defined/structured/helpful, some smart/helpful people

Cons

expectation that you "should" work after hours, not clear regarding specific job expectations and career paths/services offered at Merkle, not a great team atmosphere..feels like a "bait & switch" interview process

be honest, value employees that do great work , but work to live... not just those who work 55 hrs/week

Political, Limited recognition of mid-level associates, Interesting Work.

Current Employee - Marketing Analyst  in  Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Merkle full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Interesting work, smart people; good place to get work experience for college-grads (Ex: database marketing, analytics, digital analytics etc)

Cons

Not much work life balance (55-60 hour weeks are standard); employees required to 'bill' minimum hours which add up to effectively no vacation time for the year; not recommended for associates beyond entry level; Limited recognition of mid-level associates; Need to be politically astute to get any recognition.

Current culture is not conducive to building a long-lasting company; too much pressure on senior management to produce high number of billable hours translating into bad management practices and poor values.

Great opportunities, constantly challenge yourself

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Merkle full-time for less than a year

Pros

Merkle is very fast paced due to the growth and goal to constantly be the best and provide the best service to our customers, and for the overachievers that the company employs, it's perfect. If you fall outside of the overachiever personality, the Merkle culture may be too much for you. For the rest of us, it provides the perfect opportunity to be constantly challenged, grow, and experience a diverse set of problems, clients, and colleagues.

Cons

Merkle says its culture is polarizing, you either love it or hate it. I 100% agree and think that per my above "pros", if you aren't type A and an overachiever, you will probably be on the hate it side. That means employees get to work with the smartest, hardest working employees in the market, however it does create an attrition problem for those not cut out for the culture.

Be more involved and available. Take the time to listen bottom up.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

There is a lot of opportunities.

Current Employee - Technology  in  Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Technology in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Merkle full-time for more than a year

Pros

Merkle’s position in the marketplace gives it a greater advantage over traditional technology companies. Having worked at other technology companies, Merkle is able to truly help companies make money with the solutions it provides. I believe Merkle is in a place to be as large if not larger than other marketing services providers, and I enjoy being part of this. There is quite a bit of freedom, but there is an expectation that you will excel at what you do and go above and beyond in your normal duties. Due to this, you find that Merkle has hired a lot of very smart people whom are focused on driving the business forward. I have been happy with the opportunities at Merkle.

Cons

Merkle’s driven culture does lead to strains on Work/Life balance, especially in areas linked to client implementations, but I have yet to work at a place where this is not true. Due to some fluidity in the organizational structure and a highly driven workforce, sometime the set corporate strategy is not well translated to specific activities for the more focused areas of the organization. New understandings about market trends can get clogged at a senior management level and do not filter down quick enough to bring the rest of the company into the light. This can lead to some disconnects in the story.

Stay focused, but do more to bring the rest of the company in line with the vision.

Very positive experience - and continues to improve

I have been working at Merkle full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Merkle is always on top of what is going on in the marketplace. That makes it a great place to learn and grow professionally. The culure we work in is very important to our Sr Management team and recieves a lot of attention by our People department as well.

Cons

With all our growth it's hard to solidify repeatable processes. People try but get distracted. I don't see this as unusual and I have seen improvements as time goes on. I would like to see that be more consistent

Continue to work on embedding top notch repeatable processes in all tha twe do

Challenge yourself mentally, and push your self with a competent team.

Current Employee - Vice President  in  Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Vice President in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Merkle full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Merkle focuses on clutural fit first. There are lots of smart people out there, but the key is to find the smart folks who are passionate about what they do, and know how to laugh at each other and themselves.

A truly stimulating environment where hard work and initiative gets rewarded. In all my years I have never worked with the talent I work with here, and after 5 years, I have yet to find someone I wouldn't have a beer with on my own time.

People here are best described as interesting and interested.

Cons

The nature of the client focus results in little time available to interact with your peers/colleagues.

This is not an environment in which to catch your breath. Come to Merkle to work hard (not to hide).

Continue to do what you do, and keep the books open for the team.
    Perhaps less time spent thinking about new titles for the internal roles would be beneficial as well.

Its OK, it can be much much better though. All the ingredients are there.

Current Employee - Lead Marketing Analyst  in  Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Lead Marketing Analyst in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Merkle full-time for less than a year

Pros

Talent is amazing - some really smart people in the organization. Deal with very marketing projects and work very relevant and in high demand in the current economy.

Cons

Constant changes, not always due to a good reason. Poor attrition rate, due to burn-out or dissatisfaction, both really common with most exits.

Figure it out

Overall not Bad.

Current Employee - Senior Director in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Merkle full-time

Pros

Good work ethics. People seem to want to get it done. Great place to learn and work on new technologies. There is great transparency from the Management on what's going in the company.

Cons

Every couple of years management makes random and big changes. The Anti-Peoples department (HR) is the worse and should be replaced.

One change you should make is let go the whole peoples department.

You get back what you put in...mostly

I have been working at Merkle full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Merkle is a very challenging place to work, because it only wants people that are willing to work hard and are motivated by getting things done...and stretchy your capabilities to do so. People that survive the whiplash of getting through the door are typically the ones willing to do anything and everything...because they WANT to. People that don't, are those that are in it for the 9-5 and a paycheck. Work hard and you will be rewarded.

Cons

At mid to senior management levels (short of exec level), people are not as well paid and are also not incented by a realistic bonus plan or profit sharing.

Get people that have worked at Merkle for 8-10+ years involved in some profit-sharing, stock plan, or something that could lead to a nice payday in the event that the company is sold or goes public. These are the people that have grown the company from 400 employees to 1700 employees and somewhere around 10x the revenue over that time period. Reward them for their hard work and LOYALTY.

Create an official plan around donation matching to charitable organizations. It seems you are willing to contribute, but only to select things. Why not just say you'll match 50% to any charitable donation made by an employee up to like $1000/year? That'd go a long way for those that are charitable.

Perfect Opportunity for the Right People

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Merkle full-time for more than a year

Pros

Progressive management team commiteed to growth and grabbing market share
    Great people - ridiculously smart and fun to be around
    Opportunities for learning and growth are everwhere - Merkle University is a huge plus - I have all of the training I need to stay ahead of my peers
    The company is not afraid to innovate through acquisition - in sucha fast-paced and technologically evolving business, this is a great competitive advantage.
    The ability to work remotely is a huge selling point - I can live anywhere, really, as long as I get the job done.
    Dream grants are awesome - have seen many employees get opportunities to pursue wild and crazy dreams ont he company dime - who does that any more?

Cons

Hard to get everything done each day - I leave the end of most days wondering where the time went
    Being a growth company sometimes means longer hours and making sacrifices

Be bolder and go faster.
    Quit "reorg"-ing and focus on executing on the strategy you have in place.

Worked for Merkle? Contribute to the Community!