Merkle Reviews

Reset
4.2
Merkle Chairman and CEO David Williams
David Williams

Pros
  • Worked with some very smart people who really care about doing a great job (in 34 reviews)

• Work/life balance: Availability to work from home occasionally really helps with work/life balance (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • poor work life balance leadership are fine (in 17 reviews)

• Senior management is constantly changing policies, and never really setting clear expectations or boundaries, instead it is left open to interpretation (in 14 reviews)

1. Great place to work

Current Employee - Director in Denver, CO

I have been working at Merkle full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've been here a long time. Merkle is flexible and lets its employees grow. Amazing talent pool and the teams are great. This is an aggressive agency and isn't for anyone, but for me it was a perfect fit.

Cons

Merkle continues to constantly change. At times the communication on the changes isn't as great as it could be outside of HQ.

Advice to Management

Keep moving, but know that not everyone can move at the same pace. Make the investment to increase the repeatable processes we need as a foundation

2. I'd recommend the Denver office if you work in Creative/UX

Current Employee - User Experience Architect in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - User Experience Architect in Denver, CO

I have been working at Merkle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In the Creative/UX department, an unbelievable amount of flexibility is available. The belief that Principles trump values is often portrayed here. A great place to concentrate on work, and never any signs of micromanagement. Work/life balance is important to everyone here and we have very flexible amounts of PTO.

Cons

Hard to work with so many conference calls, with so much of management working remotely. Difficult to negotiate raises and proper compensation after the first year.

Advice to Management

Fight to pay your employees what they feel they deserve.

Very demanding for very little pay

Former Employee - Email Developer in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Email Developer in Denver, CO

I worked at Merkle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic culture in the Denver office

Cons

- Pathetic pay - Demanding hours - Email has always felt like some accident that happened, not one of the pillars of work - Everything changed for the worse after DIRECTV fired Merkle in 2011

Advice to Management

Either make email a priority or drop it completely

Welcome to the mind of a meandering drunk

Former Employee - Email Marketing Area in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Email Marketing Area in Denver, CO

I worked at Merkle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As others have said, there are truly some special people that work at the company. I did enjoy the people I met, and continue to be friends with several of them. The client list is impressive. Start drinking at 10:30am

Cons

Management really doesn't follow through on their stated intent of fostering a place people want to be. The company doesn't leverage the expertise it has hired in a number of areas to move the clients (and the company forward). Ridiculous internal games meant to help business lines meet their numbers so the former owner can get their bonus payout trump any real regard for doing right by the client. Start drinking at 10:30am

Advice to Management

I always felt like David was selling to us, not providing leadership. Almost felt like a cult. Not sure if he has ADD, but with all the changes in direction and priority, it at least feels like a lot of key decision makers are drunk most of the time.

Smart and Talented People/Executives Lost in the Digital Wilderness

Former Employee - Vice President in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Vice President in Denver, CO

I worked at Merkle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Surrounded by outstanding and smart people Great client list Young, driven, fun culture Smart and capable CEO that employees like and relate to.

Cons

Executive team doesn't truly understand digital and keeps looking for a savior from the outside Frat culture where you're either part of the frat or an outsider Too much turn over of talented people Mgt doesn't want to trust the execs it hired to run the business and they get discouraged and go elsewhere Not much diversity amongst Sr leadership team. Co-Presidents that hinder rather than enable business Company has been nicknamed WERKLE and for good reason.

Advice to Management

Find good people and set them free to run the business without perpetual meddling from Curley and Mo (Co-Presidents)

7. Great Company with Fantastic Opportunities

Current Employee - Senior Director in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Denver, CO

I have been working at Merkle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast-paced, challenging environment with lots of career opportunities. The people at Merkle are incredibly sharp, talented and a pleasure to work with. Everyone here has the ability to make a huge impact if they choose to do so. Executive Management truly cares about the well-being of everyone here. Great salary.

Cons

The hours are indeed long, and there never seems to be enough hours in the day to get everything done.

Advice to Management

A profit-sharing program would be well-received.

8. great opportunities for growth

Current Employee - Vice President in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Vice President in Denver, CO

I have been working at Merkle full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

leadership, work flexibility, pace of change

Cons

occasional growing pains as we evolve

9. Great company, great employer

Current Employee - Director in Denver, CO

I have been working at Merkle full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Employees are passionate, execs maintain our culture or "work hard, play hard," do cutting edge work, fair pay

Cons

Growing pains, fast pace and fast pay of change may not be for everyone, must be self starter and entrepreneurial to thrive here.

I would not work here. Ever again.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Merkle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent benefits, and a good group of solid people.

Cons

Poor Pay, Overmanaged, No Advancement, Lack of Appreciation

Advice to Management

Try recognizing your employees for their work every once and a while.

Only work here if you have to

Current Employee - Account Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Merkle

Pros

I would say the only real pros of Merkle are the people who work around you (not management). I work with some great people. That being said, it is also nice to work in a casual office, with free coffee and drinks as well. Merkle's compensation tends to be slightly higher than average if you know how to negotiate. If you make it through their arduous interview process, it means they want you and will play ball if you know how.

Cons

Just about everything else. First, and foremost they have zero commitment to anyone. You could be working hard and diligently and then they loose a client and BAM, you are canned minutes later. And then they go and hire a fresh crop a few weeks later when a new client signs up. Really godawful business strategy. Which leads to my next issue: there is absolutely zero training, for anything other than a few webinars on how to bill time. Since the place is like a revolving door there is never a single person comfortable enough to train a new person. You have to learn on the fly. They also no work/life balance here. Again, due to the revolving door nature of the place, everyone is forced to pick up the extra work from all the recent departures (whether they be lay offs, or voluntary). It is not uncommon for myself, and many other members of my team to work late (by late, I mean well into the night, every night) and all weekend to simply keep up. Your reward will be a little merkle logo and a 25$ giftcard... I think this mainly stems from the fact that most people here are 25-30. Old enough to have experience, but not enough to have security. They use this to work these kids into the ground. There is also a lot of what I can only call "scheming" going on here. It's obvious the pink slips are coming out or a promotion possibility opens up. People here seem prone to go behind backs and backstab to save their own skin. I'm talking school yard type stuff, a white lie here and there, shifting blame to others. This type of environment is the result of paranoia most have for their job. Finally, the biggest "con" of Merkle is the management (Senior directors, VPs). Most are luddites and have devolved into Yes men for leadership. Recommendations are shot down on whim. When you need them most they are mysteriously gone. Answers, when they are given, are vague and show clear lack of understanding. They won't define clear goals for clients, projects or anything because that would require effort. They have no interest in investing in new technology (and thus the future) when what we have can scrap by passable, barely there results with double the effort. When you do finish a big project or solve a major problem, they will be right there to take the credit however. I guess to sum it up, management lacks a complete sense of foresight.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect, and you will get the same in return. It's a simple concept that is tried and true. No gimmicks. Just do it. If you are wondering "how?" it's simply the exact opposite of your current strategy. This is why no one sticks around for long. Might want to look into reevaluating senior management positions.

RSS Feed </> Embed