Merkle Reviews

Reset
3.1
Merkle Chairman and CEO David Williams
David Williams

Pros
  • Worked with some very smart people who really care about doing a great job (in 34 reviews)

• Work/life balance: Availability to work from home occasionally really helps with work/life balance (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • poor work life balance leadership are fine (in 17 reviews)

• Senior management is constantly changing policies, and never really setting clear expectations or boundaries, instead it is left open to interpretation (in 14 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Lots of opportunity grow. Upper management is very approachable and helpful.

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at Merkle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great management, snack closet, fun team building events off and on site, catered meals occasionally

Cons

Sometimes work load can really build up, but you have all the tools to get it done.

Jul 6, 2015 – Corporate Recruiter

We appreciate your thoughts and comments. Thanks for sharing!

2. Good people for digital strategy & optimization

I have been working at Merkle full-time

Pros

More than 25% of the workforce works remotely, fast paced, good (not great) support from offshore teams

Cons

Most groups you work in feel like cliques and you need to get into the right groups to get visibility, everyone is Director, Sr. Director or VP...so you are constantly left playing to their demands

Advice to Management

Listen to your customer needs and create unique value proposition for them, make sure your strategists are paying attention to what is going on and ensure you deliver data driven insights and actionable recommendations...

Jul 24, 2015 – Corporate Recruiter

Thanks for recognizing our strengths and providing insight into some weaknesses. We're so happy that overall you enjoy working at Merkle!

3. Operations Analyst

Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Merkle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Regular salary increases if you perform, plenty of very smart coworkers, flexible hours, great culture for the most part

Cons

Expect to work a lot, recognition can be hard to come by depending on the assignment, corporate initiatives change regularly as management changes

Jul 16, 2015 – Corporate Recruiter

We are happy to hear you're feeling appreciated and are, for the most part, enjoying your time at Merkle. Thank you also for your feedback.

5. Senior Database Developer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marlborough, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marlborough, MA

I worked at Merkle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Welcoming work culture and great people to work with.

Cons

Compensation and work life balance.

Advice to Management

Plan better before hand to avoid last minute rushes into Development/ testing/ Delivery.

Jul 6, 2015 – Corporate Recruiter

We work hard to build a team and environment that our employees will enjoy. Thank you for recognizing our efforts and sharing your feedback.

6. Growing Company

I have been working at Merkle full-time

Pros

Merkle provides the employees with lots of training and learning opportunities.

Cons

Because it is such a large company now with new acquisitions, it's difficult to fully understand all of the company's offerings.

Advice to Management

Continue to educate and keep the employees up to date with all the company offerings.

Jul 16, 2015 – Corporate Recruiter

This is great to hear! We're so glad you're getting value from the training and professional development opportunities provided at Merkle. We'll do our absolute best to continue to keep our employees ... More

Growing pains but Growing none the less

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Merkle (More than a year)

Pros

Progressive culture that promotes work life balance. Sometimes you have to be assertive about work life balance.

Cons

Salaries are low and not very transparent or structured within the company as a whole. For world class talent that Merkle supposedly boasts, salaries do not seem competitive.

Advice to Management

Growing is good but focus some of the profit reinvestment in the employees instead of just acquisitions.

Jul 16, 2015 – Corporate Recruiter

We think your title sums it up! We are dedicated to growing our business and providing more opportunities to our employees. Thanks for hanging in there with us as we evolve and continue to improve ... More

Empty Promises and Flat-Out Lies

I have been working at Merkle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work with good people. Experience and clients are good resume builders. Time off policy, if you have a good manager.

Cons

My company was acquired by Merkle a little over a year ago. Early on there was a lot of big talk about career opportunities and salary adjustments- two issues that were already sore spots prior to being acquired. A year in we have fewer opportunities to advance and there have been no salary increases. In fact, I'm on track to make less this year than last since we no longer have bonuses and benefits are more expensive. What has increased are stress, workloads and the number of pointless meetings and trainings. Prior to being acquired we suffered from some pretty typical young/start-up company problems, e.g. low pay, little opportunity, lack of experienced leadership, little structure or organization and ever changing direction. Many of us hoped that Merkle would help in those areas, but instead we have kept all of our old problems and added the red tape, bureaucracy and cold calculus of a big, bottom-line driven company.

Advice to Management

You are only as good as your word, which is pretty bad so far. Scrap the culture book, it's something between aspirational and propaganda, but it's not reality and just highlights how far short Merkle falls of being the company it markets itself as.

Jul 27, 2015 – Corporate Recruiter

We appreciate your honest feedback of your experience with us. There are things we could do better and we hope you'll see our efforts and witness improvements.

Hopeless leadership, don't fall for their BS

I have been working at Merkle

Pros

Pay is ok and some people have good skills. The company feels quite horizontal.

Cons

Almost everything. Merkle is good at projecting an image of itself that simply isn't true. Do not go work for this company, you will regret it. Top management is approachable but mostly clueless. The company rewards loyalty over initiative and skills and to make things worse there is no clear strategy, positioning, leadership. Nobody seems to know what's going on and it always ends up in an endless loop of finger pointing. Don't expect any transparency. The only metric that matters is utilization (meaning how many hours you are billing the client) and it's ultimately a big sweatshop with no rewarding work to be done.

Advice to Management

You can't grow via acquisitions forever. The road ahead is dangerous for this firm.

Jul 27, 2015 – Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for your review. We understand that we ask for patience and flexibility from our employees as we expand but ultimately we hope you reap some personal and professional benefits from being ... More

10. Topsy-Turvey

Former Employee - Manager in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Manager in Columbia, MD

I worked at Merkle

Pros

Great Breadth of Experience, Lots of Projects Going on. Opportunities to work on multiple accounts.

Cons

Very fast shifts. Management will not push back on the bad behavior on the part of clients.

Jul 16, 2015 – Corporate Recruiter

We hope you were able to take away some great experiences and skills from your time at Merkle!

Good Company with some bad execs and dismal managers

I worked at Merkle full-time

Pros

They at least put a fair amount of resources and lip service to making Merkle one of the Greatest Places to Work. Friends of mine who worked with good managers have done really quite well and enjoy their job.

Cons

There were lots of promises of additional training, but the department was so horribly understaffed that nobody had the time. I was stuck with weak, ineffectual managers who were overworked because they had to do a lot of nitty-gritty work bdue to a hiring freeze and a lot of empty seats. Management style consists of rattling off a lot of catch phrases and sports mottoes but precious little in the way of actionable advice. For a company that specializes in understanding people and crafting messaging to those people, the daily email blasts are incomprehensible. They are overwrought and so poorly written. Overall internal communications consist of an alphabet soup of acronyms that are drained of all meaning in their overuse. Their effort to become a Greatest Place to Work is being managed the same way they manage everything else: by spreadsheet. That may well be the root of the problem.

Advice to Management

Put aside the GPW survey and actually look at the problem at street-level. Maybe then you'll be able to figure out how to make Merkle a great place to work. Invest in staffing. Invest in management training. Stop acquiring and start building.

Jul 6, 2015 – Corporate Recruiter

The Great Places to Work survey is a tool we use to help us investigate things from the most important point of view -- yours -- and we are actively in the process of examining these points you bring ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed