Merkle Reviews

Updated October 25, 2014
3.3

Merkle Chairman and CEO David Williams
David Williams

Pros
  • Many smart people--from bottom to top there are many (in 32 reviews)

• Work/life balance: Availability to work from home occasionally really helps with work/life balance (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Running hard means work life balance sometimes suffers (in 17 reviews)

• If you are not in senior management you have no chance to obtain this award (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Director Technology Delivery

Former Employee - Director in Marlborough, MA
    Former Employee - Director in Marlborough, MA

I worked at Merkle full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great "local" culture in the Marlboro office. Excellent team work. Paid well and decent benefits. Great balance of work/play.

Cons

Corporate culture was very much like a fraternity. The founders were all "buddies" and there was truly an inner circle. Tough to advance if you didn't try to fit into that culture.

Diversify your culture at the top. Be open to new/different ideas and ways to get things done.

nice company

I have been working at Merkle

Pros

it's Good culture company loplop

Cons

the benifits are not so good

No structure, Organization, Direction, or Training

I have been working at Merkle full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Kind, Amazing co-workers (except when they get too stressed out and lash out at you)
    work from home option
    flexible scheduling
    laid back, casual
    very few rules
    group outtings/happy hours
    experience with large clients
    personal growth and learning opportunities

Cons

They sell you on this amazing culture and great huge clients and a good salary. What they lack in telling you, like most advertising does, is the harmful effect of the product. Working 60 hour weeks, nights and weekends are demanded. If you work less than that, you're considered lazy or not a team player. You can work from home, but you'll still be working 10-12 hours. The place is growing at an alarming rate, yet no one has a damn clue what anyone else does in the company. The structure is wacky, not like a traditional agency. There is 0 zero training or onboarding and it sets new people up for failure. Its sink or swim. Either youve done this job before, or you havent and youre expected to be 100% knowledgable and functional from Day 1. They are sorely understaffed. The upper management gets bonuses on whether the campaigns spend out, and perform so they put the pressure on the workers down below to exucute no matter what. there is no profit sharing. the rich get richer and everyone else suffers just to make that happen. There is no job manual, no training website (thats been updated since 1990) and you are left struggling for air and asking questions til you die here. No one else wants to take the time to train you. Its not their job. Their job is to worry about themselves and keep the campaign running no matter what. And that takes up %150 of their time. They dont care whether you have what you need to succeed because there are no job roles, they all blend together. I was not given day to day responisbilities when i started, nor any concrete goals. once you switch accounts, which will happen as soon as you learn one, you are left on your own to gather all the information you need from the old people that quit or got fired, who keeps everything on their email. the lack of technology to keep things organized from client to client is appauling. They will never survive at this rate. Anyone thats ever had a job in a well run organized corportation, beware. this is like an animal zoo or a circus. turnover is high because most people cant handle the crap being fed to them. we deserve better than this for how hard we work. we put everything we have into this company and they reward us by working us like dogs, and making our lives miserable by expecting too much.

Invest in technology that will make everyones lives easier. Sell out and become a corporation so we can get some real leaders to implement things the way they should be run and poeple will be a lot happier.

ok

I have been working at Merkle

Pros

good company, growing very fast

Cons

stressful, crazy hours, long hours.

You can learn a lot but beware

Former Employee - Production Manager in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Production Manager in Columbia, MD

I worked at Merkle full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Worked with some very smart people who really care about doing a great job.

Cons

60 hour weeks will be the norm on many projects. Can go months working 7 days, nights, holidays and weekends. Sales rule so they promise everything without consideration of who actually has to do the work. Management wants the great place to work ribbon so bad they literally tell employees what to answer totally ignoring actually making any improvement changes. The worse thing about Merkle is they allow the Bullying of Employees. I witnessed several times great, long time employees humiliated, accused, and threatened by made up accusations. Exactly why this has been allowed to happen I do not know but it represents the scary underlying culture present at Merkle.

Making money is not a life and death job, quit treating it that way.

Smart people, those that are left

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I worked at Merkle full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to learn technologies and grow your skill set. The people are top notch and there is a ton of opportunity to learn. Tools are in place to allow effective communication across the different co-locations and there is a lot of flexibility in benefits for work from home and PTO. Pay is good.

Cons

Company has really shifted from trying to be a great place to work to shipping jobs offshore to increase revenue. The top level leadership really does not have any idea what the rest of the company is doing, except other than keeping a tight grip on utilization as the main performance indicator. Be prepared to work a lot of hours to meet unrealistic utilization numbers or you'll get replaced.

The CEO is a puppet to the Board and is more concerned about numbers than the people. It's unfortunate that he started this company with people in mind and now all vision is really lost.

I'd recommend the Denver office if you work in Creative/UX

Current Employee - User Experience Architect in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - User Experience Architect in Denver, CO

I have been working at Merkle full-time (more than an year)

Pros

In the Creative/UX department, an unbelievable amount of flexibility is available. The belief that Principles trump values is often portrayed here. A great place to concentrate on work, and never any signs of micromanagement. Work/life balance is important to everyone here and we have very flexible amounts of PTO.

Cons

Hard to work with so many conference calls, with so much of management working remotely. Difficult to negotiate raises and proper compensation after the first year.

Fight to pay your employees what they feel they deserve.

Great Company but just threw me to the wolves

I worked at Merkle full-time

Pros

Great company to work for, have perks and great smart people. I was a remote employee.

Cons

I was able to keep up but they just threw me to the wolves, just 3 weeks into the job. Although I expected fast paced. I was exhausted after a few months, I had to leave the job. I did not want to because other than that it was a great company, but the onboard was terrible!

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Chief Financial Officer in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Chief Financial Officer in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Merkle full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Strong market position/market leader; intentional strategy; well developed and articulated culture; open to change; energy and pace of a start up but benefits of cmpany that has been around for 25+ years; place where employees can have a significant impact and make a large contribution; unafraid to seek out and drive change; numerous opportunities for employee feedback and interaction with specific responses to that feedback

Cons

the company has a very high pace which not every one can handle - I thrive in this type of environment and seek it out but not all do

Stay the course - keep driving the changes needed to maintain our position in the marketplace and enable the organization to scale for the next level of growth

Data Entry

Former Employee - Data Entry in Hagerstown, MD
    Former Employee - Data Entry in Hagerstown, MD

I worked at Merkle part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Decent facility, and nice co workers

Cons

Work wasn't consistent, low pay, and management was unprofessional

Learn to manage

Merkle Photos

Office
Tea Break area
Wow exercises during working break

+ Add Photo