Merle Norman

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jack Nethercutt II

Great Products

Beauty Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsThe owner and manager I worked for did a great job training me. The store owner was all about customer service and product knowledge. She trained me that products will sell themselves when you are very familiar with those products and know how to present them to your clientele.

ConsMerle Norman has great products, however it seemed we were always waiting to get our versions of popular products available to sell.

Advice to Senior ManagementI can only speak for my manager and my experience as I never worked at a different franchise, but my advice would be keep up the good work! I loved working with her, and she taught me things I have carried with me that makes me great at my current job.

EXCELLENT COMPANY

Beauty Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsSweetest most knowlegable beauty consultants

ConsThere is nothing bad to say

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Worse company I ever worked for!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Memphis, TN

ProsI love working with the public & trying to help them improve their use of the products. The company offered NO TRAINING at all, when you asked for it they told you to go to the internet & learn there! The owner hardly ever came in & when she did she would poor mouth & tell you how she couldn't pay bills. This was a Gold Medallion Studio & the owner would set a limit on what you could order & then you had to let her other stores come in & take products that they needed for there stores because they were not allowed to order on a weekly basis, this created a huge problem for our store not always having products our customers needed which made our customers upset! You were told to take promo gifts & break them apart & give out as individual "treats" if they spent a certain amount! The only Pros to this job were the custmers!!!

ConsPay was low, if you worked more than 40 hours in a week then the following week you work under 40 hours they would add the 2 weeks together & just pay you straight pay..no overtime was paid! No actual lunch breaks, you ate lunch between customers coming in & if you worked by yourself on certain days their was no lunch break but you still had to record a 30 minute lunch break on your time card! Customers complained about lack of inventory on shelfs & always being out of products they needed, that was because at night when you closed the store down other employees from the other stores the owner owned would come in a take the products that they need for their store....the "Gold Medallion" store was used as the store that got to order the highest amount of inventory, because we had to supply the other locations with some of there inventory needs. Most of the employees bad mouthed the owners for the way the company was run. If you voiced an opinion then you were out of a job!

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is no management because the owner doesn't want to pay for that! They expect hourly employees to do the work of management without the extra pay! You should compensate good employees for the HARD WORK they are expected to do instead of taking advantage of them for needing a job!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best Job ever!!

Beauty Consultant (Current Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsFun environment, new launches every season, nice customers

ConsNo room for movement in company
    Commission pay scale
    Retail hours

Advice to Senior ManagementMake it where beauty consultant and managers can be rewarded for hard work.

Good experience, and great products, that's about all.

Studio Manager (Current Employee)

Pros*High quality products at a reasonable price.
    *Most stores don't require uniforms, so you can wear what you want.

Cons*Retail pay (varies by store)
    *It takes years sometime to introduce a new product.
    *Brand image is far from superior, no one knows about it, or even wants to buy the products.
    *VP of education left for Clinique, now there is NO education department at all. NO artist or educator on staff at all. No one at corporate can answer questions about products.
    *Some studios offer salon services and have boutiques in them.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor once, try to think outside the box. Why not hire at least one educator?

Ergonomics unhealthy

Esthetician (Former Employee) Magnolia, TX

ProsWorked with some interesting people. Learned microdermabrasion and spray tanning. Improved waxing technique. Mastered browshaping. Familiar with spa software and open and closing. Also stayed pretty busy with retail.

ConsNo sink in treatment room. Low pay scale for all the hard work involved. Owner accused me of stealing from her.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Manager is very nice but the owner accused me and threatened me.Treat your employees better. Don't accuse people of things. Also don't make promises you can't keep.

Fun and a good learning experience

Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) Lexington, SC

ProsLearn new makeup techniques
    Ability to increase sales
    Opportunity to be creative

ConsPay isn't always great
    Slow periods of time

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate and treat others as you would like to be treated

Awesome Customer Service!

Beauty Consultant (Current Employee) Topeka, KS

ProsI love working at Merle Norman! They treat their customers just like family members, only better! First rate customer service and tons of tender loving care! Most customers have been using Merle Norman for over 50 years and still rave about the cosmetics and customer service. They even bring family and friends to get them started on the makeup. You try on before you buy the products, plus you get one-on-one attention and compassion. Where else could you get such service?

ConsNot a full -time job.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone, keep up the great work!!

Corporate Headquarters: Nice people, not a progressive place to work

Marketing (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Pros- Great PPO insurance benefits from Aetna
    - Never work overtime and raise your kids.
    - Job security
    - Good, (fattening) breakfast is provided daily, free
    - Some of the nicest people you'll work with ever
    - The lunch has been 25¢ (really) since I started 6 years ago.
    - Employees do what the owners encourage: Get to work on time, don't call in sick and put your "head down" to collect a paycheck.
    - No threat of the company changing or modernizing and leaving you behind. This is a simple person's workplace that offers with a great deal of job security.
    The CEO is personable, respectful, professional, which is a refreshing relief. She's intelligent and seems to be a real strategic thinker at the helm.
    - If you are older, you can very likely get hired here without age discrimination. This company, the mindset, the building and employees are old. The average age of an employee here is probably 47-50. Many are much older.

If this is your first real job after a retail job, it's worth putting on your resume and is a good stepping stone in a beauty career (moving from retail to corporate). But spend as little time here as necessary before moving on, because MN's computers, systems, business model and mindset are not competitive or modern... so your skill set to offer another company after leaving here will require you to make a lateral move to leave. I was behind in my career and had less to offer other companies than competitive candidates – from my years spent here.

ConsEnvironment Etc.
    Outdated and depressing buildings house in-house factory and marketing in antiquated cubicles. Decor = crusty 1970's cardboard advertising posters. Buildings are clean relics from the 1950's, with no windows. A mere story overhead, airplanes skim the building so many long-timers have asthma at some point from working here.

Only a 45 minute lunch, so no errands or personal time to leave and return is possible due to the location – next to LAX in the industrial area. Nothing in walking distance, and not the safest neighborhood. If you leave for lunch it takes up 50% of your 45 minutes, so a cafeteria lunch is provided. Unfortunately, the cafeteria food tastes like cafeteria food and the menu is less than healthy. The company does not offer an employee refrigerator no microwave for use.

Ownership
    All of the old-timers (many have been here 30+ years), lament the previous owner's death and feel the company is in declinel. The current ownership doesn't know the names of most they've worked side by side with for the last several years. They're a couple from Vegas with no experience or background in fashion or style.

Dress Code
    The dress code is something the owners personally authored (they take a bizarre and inordinate interest in the dress code). Unfortunately, it's also a relic from the 1970's that's similar to what a large bank might have, and not competitive in the fashion and cosmetics industry. Morale is not great because the female partner in the Co. spends a lot of time and energy scouting and policing employees for their dress code violations which are overlooked for some, and not others.

Culture
    The culture here is micromanagement and fear because the ownership frequently sends emails to the entire staff that includes threats regarding "punching in on time," dress code and other tedium ownership should probably allow HR to handle. No encouragement of creativity or financial help for furthering related work skills/education etc.is offered, and there's nothing in place to promote employee innovation or ownership of their work and company. The biggest "perk" the company offers is attendance to an MN Convention, where one can dress up to dine on banquet food and bump elbows with store owners. Is this something anyone would want to do in unpaid time off? Depends on you.

CEO
    If you work with the CEO, it's helpful to be forewarned that she gives poor input and doesn't know what she wants until she sees it. It's helpful to know that she's a micro-manager, who has difficulty allowing the capable hands around her to do the work – save yourself and just let her get her own hands on it from the get-go. Expect nothing to be on any deadline here. If projects were tracked with hours against them, the company would see how much they truly cost and be horrified.

Considering working here?
    If you stop here in your career, don't make it your career. Plan your exit and where you'll go next before you get "stuck" here like myself and so many other long-timers. While the products are decent here, they aren't respected, nor considered real competitors to the outside world – which can make it difficult for you to get hired if you've spent too much time here.

Advice to Senior ManagementStep out of your company and allow the capable leaders to do their jobs, including HR and your CEO and department heads.
    Keep your hands out of the minutia like dress code – it's unimportant and makes you look like you're petty and have nothing better to do. Surely you must. Stop micro-managing.
    Ask your departments to track the hours spent on every project so that you have a dollar amount of who much they cost the company. And track where the problem occurs - it's from poor input and rounds and rounds of revisions.
    The only real deadlines in this company are the convention. Every single other project has no hard deadline. Not the packaging/rebranding... not anything. How can a company be profitable when it can't even set and make a deadline?
    To get more out of your employees, invest in them: energyproject.com

Just cared about pushing the "Merle Norman Way"

Beauty Consultant (Current Employee) Albuquerque, NM

ProsLaid back environment, nice makeup

ConsNot enough pay, pressured to do everything the MN way

Worked for Merle Norman? Contribute to the Community!