Merlin Entertainments

Updated September 19, 2014
Updated September 19, 2014
2.5

Nick Varney

A great company to grow and develop your career.

Former Employee - Finance  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Finance in New York, NY

I worked at Merlin Entertainments full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Competitive salary, staff appreciation events and great benefits.

Cons

Management should supply more than enough resources for someone to continue to be successful in their role.

Take more leadership courses and listen to their employees.

waterpark lifeguarding

Current Employee - Lifeguard  in  Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Lifeguard in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at Merlin Entertainments part-time for less than a year

Pros

saving lives
    keeping guests safe
    interacting with kids and their parents

Cons

mean/rude guests
    weather
    getting wet on cold days

the rash guards we wear as a part of our uniform are very uncomfortable and take forever to dry after getting wet

Entertainment-Operations

I have been working at Merlin Entertainments

Pros

It is a fun job when well staffed.

Cons

It is a miserable job when staffing is poor.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun for little.

I have been working at Merlin Entertainments

Pros

Obviously the specific nature of the attraction is why you would want to work here. You can have some seasonal fun work.

Cons

Highest expectation from hourly employees. Barely above minimum wage. No sign of possible upward mobility in the ranks. "Merlin Cares", is part of their mission statement but should read "Merlin cares about profit..mostly". This is a temporary job as there is no decent compensation. As this company enjoys boasting of their profits, I have little concern or respect for their future since none of that revenue is benefited to the majority of low pay workers who keep this giant afloat.

Why bother? You are not really listening, are you?

good experience at merlin entertainment

I have been working at Merlin Entertainments

Pros

good working culture, tourism industry, potential for career development

Cons

low pay, over worked, leadership is not that goood

Disney has nothing to worry about

I worked at Merlin Entertainments full-time for less than a year

Pros

People at the local attractions are really super. The people at HQ - just awful. I couldn't take it so I quit even without a job to go to. What does that tell you?

Cons

Over worked and understaffed. No clear leadership. Growing too fast for their own good. They operate by the seat of their pants rather then sticking to a thoughtfully laid out plan.

The CEO needs to wake up and hire people who will tell him the truth.

one of the best jobs in my career, Incredible company, terrible leadership

Current Employee - Attractions/Guest Service  in  Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Attractions/Guest Service in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Merlin Entertainments part-time for more than a year

Pros

Working with the Animals and talking about them all day long is a great thing that i really enjoy the most. working with other employees has it's ups and downs.

Cons

It really is a who do you know. I have several years of management experiences, but they would rather hire a girls just out of high school that is buddy buddy with the new manager than to hire me for a team lead position. the pay sucks. I get 3 dollars more at my other retail job with less pressure to entertain. Don't get me wrong if management is going to do that, i don't want to work with them in that capacity,. I am a worker. I don't sit around chit chatting and talking to all the people working there after work. I go home. I did interview with the last manager who hired someone else who had been there 3 years longer than me. Totally ok with that. Their feedback was that I had not been there long enough and I needed to foster relationships. Again it's who do you know in upper management. Then there is the new restricted hours that we are only allowed to work up to 28 hours for part timers. And there are no full time employees unless your upper management. No benefits. You have to start 5 minutes before your shift, but you do not get paid for those 5 minutes. When you try to bring up ideas to increase sales or moral they are shut down before you can even finish presenting the idea.

Please be interested in all your employees not just the one that brown nose you until you giggle. Have a sit down with each of us. We have ideas. But you don't even want to talk to us. ;(

THE most miserable working experience of my long career in customer service!

Former Employee - Manager  in  Yonkers, NY
    Former Employee - Manager in Yonkers, NY

I worked at Merlin Entertainments full-time for more than a year

Pros

My team-they were a fun bunch and I miss them! I learned a lot-on my own-through trial and error-how to manage a larger facility and deal with a larger staff and guest count.

Cons

Senior Management is lackadaisical, incompetent, insensitive and unintelligent to a degree that is frightening. NOTHING that is broken ever gets fixed and they expect the hourly staff to grin and bare it and just make the best of it. Promises of improvements are made but rarely if ever kept. Mid-level management is miserable-so much so that even though they are supposed to work together-they work against one another-sabotaging each other at every turn. There is ZERO sense of team spirit. The "that's not my job" mentality seeps through the walls of this place like a toxic ooze touching all who work there-meaning if there is a piece of trash on the floor in the gift shop-the retail staff say " call custodial" and the custodial staff say "its not my job to clean the shop-just the bathrooms!". Funny thing is the bathrooms are FILTHY! This place is a joke-robbing hard working families of their money and giving them nothing. Management thinks they should be happy with what they get and is completely puzzled when people complain. UMMMM EVERYTHING is broken and if not...it's falling apart! And the people who are paid to fix it all " I don't have the part", "that's not my job-so and so is contracted to do it" and "I'm too busy!" All the while they sit and stare at a computer screen all day doing NOTHING.

Merlin Entertainments owns this place NOT LEGO-they are ruining peoples ideas of the LEGO brand.

None. They don't listen to anything you say; however much they pretend to!

Extremely disorganized and a drive for profit above all.

Former Employee - Team Leader  in  Grapevine, TX
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Grapevine, TX

I worked at Merlin Entertainments full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good way to gain experience, decent corporate culture in relation to other companies, mostly fun environment to work in

Cons

very low pay especially for all the responsibilities everyone has, number one priority is profit at the expense of all else including health and safety, no clear structure, poor communication, high employee turnover, if you disagree with upper management and voice your opinion you will be shut out, if you don't know somebody you will never make it to upper management.

-Pay your employees more! There are better jobs out there with less responsibilities that actually pay more with better benefits.
    -Treat your front line staff with decency and respect. They are the one's that run the company on a daily basis.

DO NOT SPEAK YOUR MIND

Former Employee - Attractions/Lego City  in  Winter Haven, FL
    Former Employee - Attractions/Lego City in Winter Haven, FL

I worked at Merlin Entertainments

Pros

It is a fun job if you enjoy interaction with children.

Cons

Many issues with management and human resources. From personal experience I was hired 12/9/2011 and after numerous calls to human resources with no one actually answering the phone and leaving numerous unanswered voice mails as well as multiple in person visits to the HR office, I finally got a call from the Lego City supervisor to come in and start training mid February 2012. As a previous employee of both of the other major theme parks in the area I know how the system is supposed to work and how the employees should be treated, and Lego Land falls way short of that. After working there almost 5 weeks and telling the team leaders numerous times that I still did not receive a pay check, I finally met my supervisor for the first time and asked him if his leads had told him about my situation, he replied that neither of his leads informed him. This was strike one, NO COMMUNICATION BETWEEN LEADS AND SUPERVISORS ABOUT EMPLOYEE ISSUES. Anyone familiar with theme park operations knows that as a ride operator you are NEVER to leave your position at the control panel unmanned. Strike two, there are numerous positions under "normal" operations where the ride operator is left alone on a platform for hours at a time periodically stepping away from the control panel and leaving it unattended and leaving it open for guests to approach the panel and push the pretty red button. AT ALL OTHER THEME PARKS THIS IS A SERIOUS SAFETY VIOLATION AND GROUNDS FOR IMMEDIATE TERMINATION. If you ever get injured while working a ride and health services puts you on restricted duty, be fully prepared for your team leads to completely ignore it. As far as getting proper breaks during your work day......FORGET IT!!!!!! Whether you work a 6 hr shift or a 10+hr shift, YOU WILL ONLY BE GETTING ONE 30 MINUTE LUNCH BREAK. Also, trying to get a restroom break or even trying to get some water can at times be like trying to pull teeth. Finally....CYA...even if you follow their employee handbook TO THE LETTER, all it takes is someone to say that you did something that YOU DID NOT DO to get you terminated, at that point a convicted rapist or murderer has more rights than you do.

Communicate regularly with your leads, never assume everything is ok because 9 times out of 10 they're not. Most importantly.....TREAT YOUR EMPLOYEES LIKE HUMAN BEINGS!!!!!!!!! To be honest, I felt like I was singled out and targeted for persecution because I started speaking out about the way we were being treated. I understand that there is an unlimited supply of future employees and they are all just a number, but if you just treated them with just one ounce of human dignity you might not have such a high turnaround rate. Then again that would mean that you would have to step out of your nice climate controlled offices......we can't let that happen now can we?

Merlin Entertainments Photos

Worked for Merlin Entertainments? Contribute to the Community!