Merrick & Company
www.merrick.com Greenwood Village, CO 150 to 499 Employees

Merrick & Company Reviews

Updated Jun 21, 2014

David G. Huelskamp

Respectable company with a multitude of learning opportunities.

Design Engineer (Current Employee)
    Greenwood Village, CO

ProsFlexible hours, minimal overtime, unique projects, friendly coworkers, good pay.

ConsPace of work can be slow, mostly government projects, layoffs about every 6 months, new executive management team has made unpopular changes to the company structure.

Advice to Senior ManagementReturning to the silo mentality by compartmentalizing market sectors is having the unintended effect of reducing communication among employees and sharing of work load between departments, especially within the engineering facilities groups.

It's not a steady job ... always letting people go!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt is a really good pay. Benefits are really great. They also have a good retirement plan for you. The company is opened in telling how good or bad they are doing.

ConsIt is a roller coaster ride. One week you have a lot of work then the next week no work. Beware that you may need to go home early and stay home when work runs out.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to check on your workers. Your designers can't spell and need to use the spellcheck ... it only takes a minute for each sheet. I also saw them chatting in link and watching sports on the internet.

Lots of potential

Engineer (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsVery exciting projects, great clients across all business units, flexible hours, opportunities to move around within the company, very competitive pay, employee-owned company

ConsLackluster senior management with a short-term view; recent and upcoming executive transitions are making (and will continue to make) things a bit rocky; limited upward mobility

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The best engineering firm in America

Senior Project Manager (Former Employee)
    Los Alamos, NM

ProsOpen book mamagement; strong culture of communications with senior management; competitive benefits; great people to work with; high tech interesting projects around the world

ConsThere are no significant cons.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep developing supervisory and mentoring programs to give employees an even stronger network of personal support for their project work and careers. Continue building the Merrick training programs to improve professional development.

Good until the work ended

Mechanical Designer (Former Employee)
    Albuquerque, NM

Prosgood pay, some challenging projects

Consgot laid off lack of work

very political....very political.....very political

Engineer (Former Employee)
    Oak Ridge, TN

Prosno room for growth....but they do believe in training....they are in the political buddy system as opposed to those that perform

Constoo political....no room for career growth....not much promotion from within....do not recognize multiple skill sets....want you in only one area

Advice to Senior Managementrecognize employees with multiple skill sets and being able to do different things....reward those with high performance and multiple skill sets

Management Owned Company

Engineer II (Current Employee)
    Greenwood Village, Arapahoe, CO

ProsGood base pay, medical. Interesting work. Friendly colleagues.

ConsPoor management in the past has put the company in a poor financial situation. A small engineering & architecture firm that is in the same business as its competitors (including government work) but its competitors are thriving. The management seems to get weaker the longer I am here and seems more confused than ever.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't say you are an "open book" company when you are not. Communicate with your employees. If you are in trouble, better to let your employees know sooner. If you have a layoff, talk about it - don't act like it didn't happen. That just fosters insecurity. Did you really start a fiscal year by taking away all merit benefits and 401k matching because you couldn't afford it? Put some money in the bank to recognize top performers and those who go above and beyond during "hard times".

Great people, fun projects, just way too many eggs in the government basket

Engineer (Former Employee)
    Englewood, CO

ProsI met some great people whom I really respect as engineers and leaders at Merrick. The company is very good at identifying and using talented people's skills to the best of their abilities. I felt challenged, engaged and desired during my time there. They also had good training and leadership programs.

ConsThey rely so heavily on government work I did not feel my job was safe regardless of my performance level. Because of this they desperately need to diversify their portfolio of projects or they will keep loosing good people. Due to it's small size it does seem like it would be hard to move into leadership positions as there's only so many to go around.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen staff reductions came around I believe they were handled in the WORST way possible. No announcement to staff was made acknowledging the situation nor the hardship nor what was being done to remedy the situation. It made for many very nerve-wracking days wondering who was gone and if I was next. I'm strongly of the opinion these reductions should have been announced, if only to limit speculation about who might be included and to foster a sense of value towards those who were retained.

Old and stale...

Engineer (Current Employee)
    Englewood, CO

ProsDepending on your supervisor, you can have a flexible schedule.
    IT support is strong.
    If you can be placed at HQ, it is a very nice building.

ConsThe company has a management team that celebrates themselves constantly while treating the rest of the company like a "job shop". They are constantly promoting each other while promotion amongst the ranks is very limited if nonexistent. Has a good ol' boy feel that is very political.

Very few women in senior management positions.

Production workers will always be laid off first with this company.

The company does not have a career development plan in place for production staff.

The wages are low for production staff compared to other companies.

It is very difficult to become privy to the "stock" program which makes you an "owner". They sell this as an employee owned company but that is in name only. You can't vote with your stock or sell it or buy it as you wish.

The 401K plan company contribution has you investing in the company stock ( a bad idea).

Not very innovative in their management approach compared to larger companies- very resistant to change.

Bright and talented people are generally quick to leave as management stifles innovation or ideas from the production staff.

Simply stated: If you are looking for a fast-paced career with ample opportunities for advancement and training, there are better companies to work for.

Buyer Beware

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood pay and benefits. Good CEO, but some upper management protects personal favorites, irrespective of performance and experience.

ConsVERY VERY political. It is not about your performance as much it is about the politics. Who does upper management personally like is the key to long term employment.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at personal performance and experience as opposed to political favorites.

Worked for Merrick & Company? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Merrick & Company reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Merrick & Company CEO David G. Huelskamp. All 16 reviews posted anonymously by Merrick & Company employees.