Merrick & Company

David G. Huelskamp

Loving it!

Current Employee - Senior Piping Designer in Greenwood Village, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Piping Designer in Greenwood Village, CO

I have been working at Merrick & Company full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I've been with Merrick for almost 3 months & I couldn't be happier. I feel challenged, respected & that I will continue to grow here. They respect a work/life balance.

Cons

I have no cons so far.

BUYER BEWARE....political animals....if you are not one....don't go there.

Former Employee - Engineer in Oak Ridge, TN
    Former Employee - Engineer in Oak Ridge, TN

I worked at Merrick & Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

At first, it was a great place to work. However, one of the senior managers was the acting PM and could not handle the client. Then, there was a big upset condition and we were all booted off. Then, it was fend for yourself. If you don't have a "Daddy" in Sr. Management, then you are probably toast.

Cons

Very political. There are those...typically out of the Colorado HQ...that are untouchable....and can stay there forever. Then...there are those....not out of the Colorado HQ....who are touchable. The company is very political. It is not about your skills or performance, it is about how much your senior manager likes and values you.

Learn what the Top-Rated Best Companies to work in both the US and UK do to earn those accolades from their employees. You want to be that, but you don't know how. Based on your turnover of highly-skilled staff, you are NOT doing those things. Quit making personal feelings part of business decisions. You are throwing the baby out with the bath water. In the long run, this will come back to hurt you. That is why your ratings continue to plunge, while other companies (much larger than Merrick) are being hailed as great places to work. Engineering is still a top-rated field and the best of us ultimately go onto bigger and better things. Skilled engineers are still VERY costly to replace.

Piping Designer

Current Employee - Piping Designer in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Piping Designer in Denver, CO

I have been working at Merrick & Company full-time

Pros

Positive place to work, good team work, kind of like going back in time to the way engineering companies used to be.

Cons

Not willing to pay rates to get experienced people. Only want to pay low wages and hire very inexperienced people. Think in the long run they are going to suffer from dissatisfied clients.

Pay the money and get the best people you can find to teach the younger folks the ropes instead of just throwing work at them and expecting them to know what to do.

Merrick is a well managed, forward looking company that offers great opportunities for its employees

Former Employee - Vice President in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Vice President in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Merrick & Company full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I retired from Merrick after 25 years in capacities ranging from structural project engineer to President of a Merrick subsidiary. Merrick offers an abundance of opportunities to its employees who are willing to commit to hard work and to the philosophy of employee ownership. The current management team has taken the company into diverse markets which has benefited employees with challenging projects and increased opportunities.

Cons

Merrick needs to continue to move swiftly into international markets to leverage it's specialized experience.

Keep promoting The Merrick values that have proven successful for close to 60 years.

Mistake

Current Employee - Engineer II in Greenwood Village, Arapahoe, CO
    Current Employee - Engineer II in Greenwood Village, Arapahoe, CO

I have been working at Merrick & Company full-time

Pros

Base pay is okay. Really cushy hours if you're looking for that.

Cons

A company on the decline due to too much politics and too little hard work. The work can be interesting and diverse but that's mostly because merrick picks up small, high risk projects that the larger, more stable firms are turning away. I've never seen an engineering company where a risk review isn't performed on potential work - here's a company that is out hounding potential clients for work and taking anything that comes there way. That said, the company has been on a decline due to a lot of poor decisions like taking on too much risk and not knowing how to be invited to bid on projects that are low risk. Lots of layoffs in the last few years.

Step down and bring in a new management team that has experience outside of growing up at merrick.

Circling the drain.. Ask the right questions in your interview before working here!

Current Employee - Engineer in Greenwood Village, CO
    Current Employee - Engineer in Greenwood Village, CO

I have been working at Merrick & Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I guess there is a good work-life balance if you don't want to work. Pay was in line with industry.

Cons

The management and coworkers. Work here if you want to be a slacker or if you want others to pull your weight. Benefits are poor - 401k match, raises and bonuses were taken away in 2014. Management is a bunch of old white men who love to hear themselves talk but really have nothing of intelligence to say. No accountability for poor company performance- instead layoffs. Very poor image in industry.

It's not OK to run your company in a way that you are always laying people off. Taking away merit bonuses and raises really stinks for those of us working our butts off to make up for the people who aren't. Value your employees rather than seeing everyone in worker ranks as replaceable. Instead of groveling for work off of your potential clients, repair all the damaged relationships you've created over the years. It's embarassing to be told "oh, yeah, Merrick isn't allowed to work on this site anymore".

It's not a steady job ... always letting people go!

I worked at Merrick & Company

Pros

It is a really good pay. Benefits are really great. They also have a good retirement plan for you. The company is opened in telling how good or bad they are doing.

Cons

It is a roller coaster ride. One week you have a lot of work then the next week no work. Beware that you may need to go home early and stay home when work runs out.

You need to check on your workers. Your designers can't spell and need to use the spellcheck ... it only takes a minute for each sheet. I also saw them chatting in link and watching sports on the internet.

Respectable company with a multitude of learning opportunities.

Current Employee - Design Engineer in Greenwood Village, CO
    Current Employee - Design Engineer in Greenwood Village, CO

I have been working at Merrick & Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, minimal overtime, unique projects, friendly coworkers, good pay.

Cons

Pace of work can be slow, mostly government projects, layoffs about every 6 months, new executive management team has made unpopular changes to the company structure.

Returning to the silo mentality by compartmentalizing market sectors is having the unintended effect of reducing communication among employees and sharing of work load between departments, especially within the engineering facilities groups.

Lots of potential

Current Employee - Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Merrick & Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very exciting projects, great clients across all business units, flexible hours, opportunities to move around within the company, very competitive pay, employee-owned company

Cons

Lackluster senior management with a short-term view; recent and upcoming executive transitions are making (and will continue to make) things a bit rocky; limited upward mobility

Good until the work ended

Former Employee - Mechanical Designer in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Mechanical Designer in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Merrick & Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good pay, some challenging projects

Cons

got laid off lack of work