Merrill Corporation

Updated August 20, 2014
Updated August 20, 2014

2.3

John W. Castro

Pros
  • Good benefits, 401k matching, that's about it (in 4 reviews)

• I was able to work from home and adjust my work schedule around my personal life and children's daycare etc (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • technology was behind, not much room for growth and did not seem to have interest in growing developers or pursuing updated technology (in 4 reviews)

• Upper management is not on your side, no matter what (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Proofreader

Pros

I liked the work itself, I enjoyed proofreading documents and keeping busy on tasks when available. The managers were great and the workload was usually reasonable.

Cons

The employees on my shift were unprofessional, avoided doing their work and interfered with my ability to do my job, no reasonable measures were taken to remedy the problem so I left.

I would suggest to upper management to keep an eye on your managers and realize they need to manage the employees better. They're not there to be their friends. Because no one seemed to notice the lack of professionalism until I addressed the issue it became a really difficult work environment to work in in a productive and effective manner. Everyone loses in these types of situations.

Decent Company If You Perform Well

Former Employee - Site Manager  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Site Manager in New York, NY

Pros

If you establish yourself as a high level performer, the company will make sure you stay working. During my time at Merrill Corporation, I worked onsite with several firms. Sometimes a contract would expire or a new opportunity would arise and the company would move me to the new location.

Cons

The management can make decisions based on politics. There are employees that get by on relationships vs. performance.

Since they had a variety of locations/clients, you could move around and be exposed to new roles and experiences.

Corporate & executive management refused to change how Sales is ran since they should be the one bringing in business

Former Employee - Administrative Services Manager  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Administrative Services Manager in New York, NY

Pros

Immediate supervisor was more than fair and looked out for each employee

Cons

no bonuses or annual increase

Should appreciate all employees. Economy is bad and everyone needs a bonus not just Sales or Executives

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working for this company is like reliving the cartoon world of Dilbert on a daily basis

Former Employee - Accounting  in  Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Accounting in Saint Paul, MN

Pros

Decent pay, ok benefits, flexible work schedule, and a lot of really good employees

Cons

Where do I start. Management is stuck in the 1970's. The culture statement is Trust, Teamwork, Transition, and Accountability. Well, transition is guaranteed, with pointless reorgs every couple years. As for Trust, Teamwork, and especially Accountability? Non-existent at the senior level. They have a new CEO starting soon. Hopefully that breathes some life into this company.

Quit. Now. Seriously. All of you. GO SOMEWHERE ELSE and take your 1970's thinking and egos with you.

I worked for Merrill for almost 10 years and enjoyed my time there.

Former Employee - Manager  in  Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Manager in Saint Paul, MN

Pros

Flexibility in work schedule
    Employee empowerment
    Updated systems with good technical support

Cons

There are a lot of long-term employees at Merrill who are not well managed. Also, the company went through 2 major reorganizations during my time and appeared to be in line for a third. These reorganizations were expensive, time consumptive and not well executed. Lower wages than I have experienced in other industries.

Communicate your vision. I can't tell you how many times I heard the stories of Mr. Castro wandering the halls when the company was smaller. He knew everyone's name and his leadership grew Merrill into what it is today. Finding ways to continue that tradition of one on one interaction with employees would go a long way.

Good door-opener for the future

Former Employee - GWM  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - GWM in New York, NY

Pros

Good people, NY location, looks good on resume for future employers, very nice office. Spacious.

Cons

Tedious work, no full time openings, pockets of boredom throughout the day.

More structured plan for interns on day to day basis

First corporate job

Pros

Merrill wasn't the most glamorous company to work for, but it paid the bills and gave me my first real exposure to the corporate world. I generally really liked my coworkers and the benefits seemed pretty good compared to what friends in similar outsourcing roles were receiving. Though luck and good timing had a lot to do with it, I certainly wouldn't be in the career I'm in today if it wasn't for the experience I gained with Merrill.

Cons

I was with Merrill for about 7 years and still couldn't really tell you what they do. I felt a stronger connection with the companies that I was contracted to than I did with Merrill itself because I almost never heard from corporate.

I enjoyed my time at Merrill

Pros

Generally all the employees work hard and enjoy their jobs. Loved the floating holidays, vacation and sick pay.

Cons

There are some individuals that have been there too long and it is hard to understand why certain people get promotions. Kind of a good old boy network at times.

Finding success

Pros

You can do well at the company if you're a self starter and don't get bogged down in the red tape.

Cons

Top management is still stuck in old ways of thinking and it has held the company back.

Undervalued Customer Service

Pros

Steady job, usually opportunity for overtime (if you still want it at the end of a long week)

Cons

Tedious repetition, daily stressful deadlines, no reward for jobs well done, random small raises

Listen to your underlings for advice more often.

Worked for Merrill Corporation? Contribute to the Community!