Merrill Corporation

www.merrillcorp.com

Merrill Corporation Reviews

Updated Jul 3, 2014

John W. Castro

Pros
  • Good benefits, 401k matching, that's about it(in 4 reviews)

• I was able to work from home and adjust my work schedule around my personal life and children's daycare etc(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • technology was behind, not much room for growth and did not seem to have interest in growing developers or pursuing updated technology(in 4 reviews)

• Upper management is not on your side, no matter what(in 4 reviews)

Decent Company If You Perform Well

Site Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsIf you establish yourself as a high level performer, the company will make sure you stay working. During my time at Merrill Corporation, I worked onsite with several firms. Sometimes a contract would expire or a new opportunity would arise and the company would move me to the new location.

ConsThe management can make decisions based on politics. There are employees that get by on relationships vs. performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementSince they had a variety of locations/clients, you could move around and be exposed to new roles and experiences.

Corporate & executive management refused to change how Sales is ran since they should be the one bringing in business

Administrative Services Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsImmediate supervisor was more than fair and looked out for each employee

Consno bonuses or annual increase

Advice to Senior ManagementShould appreciate all employees. Economy is bad and everyone needs a bonus not just Sales or Executives

Working for this company is like reliving the cartoon world of Dilbert on a daily basis

Accounting (Former Employee) Saint Paul, MN

ProsDecent pay, ok benefits, flexible work schedule, and a lot of really good employees

ConsWhere do I start. Management is stuck in the 1970's. The culture statement is Trust, Teamwork, Transition, and Accountability. Well, transition is guaranteed, with pointless reorgs every couple years. As for Trust, Teamwork, and especially Accountability? Non-existent at the senior level. They have a new CEO starting soon. Hopefully that breathes some life into this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit. Now. Seriously. All of you. GO SOMEWHERE ELSE and take your 1970's thinking and egos with you.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I worked for Merrill for almost 10 years and enjoyed my time there.

Manager (Former Employee) Saint Paul, MN

ProsFlexibility in work schedule
    Employee empowerment
    Updated systems with good technical support

ConsThere are a lot of long-term employees at Merrill who are not well managed. Also, the company went through 2 major reorganizations during my time and appeared to be in line for a third. These reorganizations were expensive, time consumptive and not well executed. Lower wages than I have experienced in other industries.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate your vision. I can't tell you how many times I heard the stories of Mr. Castro wandering the halls when the company was smaller. He knew everyone's name and his leadership grew Merrill into what it is today. Finding ways to continue that tradition of one on one interaction with employees would go a long way.

Good door-opener for the future

GWM (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood people, NY location, looks good on resume for future employers, very nice office. Spacious.

ConsTedious work, no full time openings, pockets of boredom throughout the day.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore structured plan for interns on day to day basis

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

I enjoyed my time at Merrill

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGenerally all the employees work hard and enjoy their jobs. Loved the floating holidays, vacation and sick pay.

ConsThere are some individuals that have been there too long and it is hard to understand why certain people get promotions. Kind of a good old boy network at times.

First corporate job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMerrill wasn't the most glamorous company to work for, but it paid the bills and gave me my first real exposure to the corporate world. I generally really liked my coworkers and the benefits seemed pretty good compared to what friends in similar outsourcing roles were receiving. Though luck and good timing had a lot to do with it, I certainly wouldn't be in the career I'm in today if it wasn't for the experience I gained with Merrill.

ConsI was with Merrill for about 7 years and still couldn't really tell you what they do. I felt a stronger connection with the companies that I was contracted to than I did with Merrill itself because I almost never heard from corporate.

Finding success

ProsYou can do well at the company if you're a self starter and don't get bogged down in the red tape.

ConsTop management is still stuck in old ways of thinking and it has held the company back.

Undervalued Customer Service

ProsSteady job, usually opportunity for overtime (if you still want it at the end of a long week)

ConsTedious repetition, daily stressful deadlines, no reward for jobs well done, random small raises

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your underlings for advice more often.

DataSite

Prosno supervision, big expense budget

Consunethical, incapable management that will eventually drive revenue down and allow competition to take market share

Advice to Senior Managementdo the opposite of your instincts

Worked for Merrill Corporation? Contribute to the Community!