Merrill Edge Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.9
David Darnell

Pros
  • I met a lot of great people while working here (in 6 reviews)

• Good benefits that's all, some of the lower management does try (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • The place stinks, the company does not care about you all they care about is the call center metrics (in 9 reviews)

• Merrill Edge asked that you memorize a script to use with each and every client (in 6 reviews)

1. Financial Solutions Advisor

Current Employee - Financial Solutions Advisor in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Financial Solutions Advisor in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Merrill Edge full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice people, good managers, good environment, excellent training.

Cons

Nothing to speak of yet

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you're doing

2. Operations Analyst

I worked at Merrill Edge full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This position has high visibility with Merrill Edge Executives. You have the chance to interact with them daily and involve yourself with a Edge initiatives to improve the process of this branch within BOA. You also speak to FAs and CAs from around the country all day long, which could possibly open other doors for your career path.

Cons

Each day is very much the same. Though attention to detail is imperative there is no deviating from your daily task and you are constantly stuck on a phone and at a computer station. Not many opportunities to show your strengths and qualities you bring to the finance world.

Advice to Management

Try to involve associates more to keep them engaged. Rope them into small meetings and projects to get a feel of the strengths they bring to the department and capitalize upon them.

3. Good place to get vast experience

Current Employee - Field FSA
    Current Employee - Field FSA

I have been working at Merrill Edge full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bank of America is virtually everywhere and 1 of every 2 households in the US as some sort of client . You can easily make 6 figures and it all depends on your partnerships , being self motivated and your ability to present yourself as a, leader in your Financial Center . If you see other reviews as being "a glorified banker" That's probably the reason why some FSA didn't last, didn't do well. You are not a glorified banker and you don't fight over business with bankers . There is Plenty of business to go around , coming from other firms where you need to make cold calls or canvassing , this is a piece of cake

Cons

Systems do suck, change happens all the time, sometimes you don't know who your manager is. You must be comfortable working with "what you have " and make a lot of friends to ask questions because this job isn't "explained" in training. There is so much you will need to learn that I even feel bad for the new guys . The turnover is high. You need to be used to working in retail banking. If you came from a firm with an assistant or with fancy elevators and you are used to that ... run , this job is a retail banking job , you will encounter children crying in the lobby. Homeless people pooping on banker chairs, and some sort of things that not even in your wildest dreams you've imaged

Advice to Management

Remodel your Financial Center , they look outdated . Chase and Wells Fargo Branches look so much nicer . Give more supoort to your FSAs , they have feel as "island" sometimes Great job on the compensation plan ! The overall strategy is great , Wells Fargo , Chase and other big banks got nothing on us, we are leveraging all our business lines and giving the customer a great consolidated experience under one roof

Financial Solutions Advisor

Former Employee - Financial Solutions Advisor in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Financial Solutions Advisor in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Merrill Edge full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Merrill Lynch, once known as, "Mother Merrill," cared about their employees...one day again, I sincerely believe that they will..."reversion to the mean"...It can happen, I only hope that there is someone under Brian Moynihan, that will read all, if not most of the remarks made, & decide that it is truly time, "to make a difference" (the former motto of the fallen, "Merrill Lynch" pre-2008)

Cons

Sadly, in the past 7 years, everything that you have read from both former & current employees remarks have been for the most part accurate...it is true about the work environment, but you are paid very well, for the work that you are expected to do, however, there is an obvious disparage, that has been mentioned in several reviews, once you are of a certain age, yes, it is true, this would not be the place for you...but the new regime encourages youth to rise above...in fact, you can be oblivious to investments & the impact that you have on clients, but if you really want to progress, you must, for lack of any other way to position it, caress your management, because if for some logical reason you think that hard work & proven performance will promote you, or even secure your job, you may be looking at the wrong company....since 2008, MEAC, is known for, "who you know or who you have gotten to know on a very personal level"...but, from years of wisdom, I can tell you for certain, this too shall pass...I am very hopeful that some of you young & up & coming bright Financial Advisors, will embrace what the name & the culture of Merrill Lynch represents, for the great company it once was! & truly, "Make the Difference!!!!"

Advice to Management

I believe in this company, & what it once represented, do you? It's past time for UPPER Management to make the DIFFERENCE, or sadly become a relic of the past...I still believe, but the bigger question is do you?

6. Merrill Edge

I have been working at Merrill Edge

Pros

Great advancement opportunities. They provide all materials to get licensed.

Cons

Salaries could be somewhat higher, but fair considering how quickly you can advance.

7. Edge

I have been working at Merrill Edge

Pros

Good base, potential for good bonus.

Cons

A lot of customer service being in a bank

Advice to Management

Pulled into too many directions having to deal with banking and investments. Just focus on investments.

8. Best work life balance!

Current Employee - Financial Solutions Advisor in Hopewell, NJ
    Current Employee - Financial Solutions Advisor in Hopewell, NJ

I have been working at Merrill Edge full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I started out with almost no money...within 1 year I made 6 figures. The people that would write bad reviews on here are the ones that usually fails and not made for sales in general. People that usually gets promoted are the people that are dedicated to their jobs and wants the promotion. they promote sometimes 4 5 people at the same time sometimes.

Cons

Challenging your production. But nothing can be perfect here.

Forever changing compensation plan

Former Employee - Financial Solutions Advisor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Financial Solutions Advisor in New York, NY

I worked at Merrill Edge

Pros

good training program, job stability

Cons

they changed the compensation plan every month. Sometimes they would change it mid-month making some of the tranches irrelevant.

10. Ok, good place to get licensed

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pennington, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pennington, NJ

I worked at Merrill Edge full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Starting in CORE 1 unlicensed, your only real job is to pass the series 7 and 66. There is some on the job training, and online classing but you are basically studying ALL THE TIME. Good place to break in, put Merrill Lynch on your resume and either grow from within or join another firm. A great launchpad or beginning of a career in the financial services industry.

Cons

Company has a stick 120 day policy to complete both the 7 and 66. My U4 was delayed, and I was finally able to take my 7 on day 100. Materials were not provided for the 66 until passing the 7. I passed, and then had only two weeks to study for the 66. I missed the exam by 2 questions and was terminated. I though they would give me once more shot, since the compliance department acted so slowly, but that was not the case. Management will not work with you at all, or transfer you to a different department.

Advice to Management

From my new hire class of 12, only 5 actually made the final cut. Management should try to find a different area for individuals if they cannot become fully licensed.

11. Great start, now what?

Current Employee - Team Lead in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Merrill Edge full-time

Pros

Great people, fun place to work. Training is great early on. Learned a ton. They promote based on performance until management so you can get ahead extremely quickly no matter what you background or experience.

Cons

Not much in terms of training after a certain point. Direction is to: keep doing what you're doing. Which is great if all you're okay with being average but personally I'd like to continue growing. Promotions based on tenure in management. Differences in pay, workload and risk do not add up for more experienced roles.

Advice to Management

Need to put together stronger career path. Pay leads fairly. How/What is a popularity test and no real explanation ever given. Take more time to understand what is actually going on with the teams your leads are managing. Find out what motivates the people you are managing and what their goals and plans might be.

RSS Feed </> Embed