Merrill Gardens
www.merrillgardens.com Seattle, WA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Merrill Gardens Reviews

Updated Mar 13, 2014
Merrill Gardens – Tacoma – “Merrill Gardens (main campus)”

Bill Pettit

Very proffessional environment, I learned a lot working here.

Concierge (Former Employee)
San Jose, CA

I worked at Merrill Gardens full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI really enjoyed the culture of respect and generosity among staff and residents. I also appreciated being mentored by my boss.

ConsNot a whole lot of opportunity for growth. I had to leave the company to get a promotion after two + years of hard work and dedication.

Great so far

Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee)
Henderson, NV

I have been working at Merrill Gardens full-time for less than a year

ProsThis company genuinely seems to care about the residents! So refreshing! The staff is dedicated from the top to the bottom. I can finally say that I have found a home with a company who has standards for care and service that match mine!

ConsStaffing tool for care staff seems to have an error in formulas but my GM is understanding about this when it is presented correctly.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up doing what you are doing. As a new employee I cannot even begin to express my appreciation for the support I have received.

Great Communities and Company

I worked at Merrill Gardens full-time

ProsThe Corporate and Community Leadership are terrific! Quality shows in the buildings and the care of residents and staff

ConsSome elders can not afford it.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Not the company it used to be

I worked at Merrill Gardens full-time

ProsThe support from the community levels is great., from corporate not so much

ConsNot all that supportive when it comes down to it - they talk about support and open door but don't back it up

Advice to Senior ManagementStop pretending that the "seattle office" is not corporate

Inconsistent corporate management.

Seattle, WA

I worked at Merrill Gardens full-time for more than a year

ProsThe residents in that building changed my life! I am grateful to the people I met, who shared their life stories and advice with me. Incredible community of seniors, I will always remember them with love. The food turned out by Dining Services was fantastic, restaurant quality. Amazing maintenance, dining, care-giving, and housekeeping staff. Everyone worked hard together as a team for the residents. Had a wonderful and inspiring GM that built a dedicated team, and a fabulous and caring Marketing Director that mentored other employees.

ConsOur building went through a rapid change of General Managers, which upset the residents and destroyed the morale of the staff. It was a difficult location for seniors to live--the building was on a hill, not senior-friendly for walking on a busy street, and in an area over-saturated with competing senior communities. It was clear the last GM I encountered was on a mission from corporate to 'clean house.' The "open door" policy disappeared, she would not speak to staff members without an appointment scheduled. Very strange management style. She started firing people within a few weeks of arriving, barely coming out of her office. Not managing by walking around and observing staff, just pouring over employee files with the door closed. It was devastating to the residents when beloved caregivers and other key staff disappeared without any notice. The most bizarre changes happened with the activities program. A hot-shot new corporate hire began suggesting we add "beer pong" to the activities calendar, trivia nights at bars for field trips, and conducting elaborate mandatory "volunteer" projects for the residents. There is no way seniors should play "beer pong" as part of a senior living activity program--the potential for interactions with medication, falls, and over-imbibing alcohol could be catastrophic--very reckless. She also advocating blasting loud rock music in the lobby to "shake things up," which would have angered residents and their families. These inappropriate and absurd ideas swiftly drove out a huge number of talented, dedicated activities people that did not agree with her extreme calendar propositions, and would rather leave the company than compromise the activity program. This person has since left the company and I am relieved for the remaining residents and their families! MG has also recently sold most of their local properties to a competitor.

Advice to Senior ManagementMG, you squandered a lot of passionate talent in your buildings, and lost many dedicated employees. Hopefully you are back on track and have expunged the toxic individuals that did so much damage. Have some faith in your buildings' management teams, and put seniors and their families first over census numbers.

Over Worked - High Pressure

I have been working at Merrill Gardens full-time for less than a year

ProsThe company genuinely cares about the welfare, safety and well being of residents

ConsThe assignment requires 2 employees assigned to the task - Outside and Inside

Biing a nurse in assisted living

I worked at Merrill Gardens

ProsResidents get to live as independently as possible. Most communities offer a range of activities. Meals are usually given a lot of thought as this is a high point in Residents lives.
Staff now has to be CPR certified.

ConsMost assisted living communities do not have enough staff to care for the amount of Residents that are in the building. Remember assisted living is a non-medical service, unless staff is willing to purchase on their own first aid supplies such as bandaids,Resident have to supply themselves. Assisted communities are expensive.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your general managers in check. Make sure GM know whats going on with their staff.Stop telling new staff how the GM wants everyone fired does not make a good impression.

A very confused company

I worked at Merrill Gardens full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPay is decent. They try to do the right thing.

ConsLeadership at the top is lacking. They don't know what to do with the company and the direction seems to change every 6 months. They fired half the corporate staff while at the same time hiring a small army of consultants. Meanwhile the ability to support the communities has plummeted. The CEO's top priority seems to be career advancement for his son.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your people.

Was an excellent 7 1/2 years

Regional Director of Quality Services (Former Employee)

I worked at Merrill Gardens full-time for more than 5 years

ProsExcellent company. Was great working for a wonderful boss. Family owned business and take great care of their seniors/residents. Excellent working relationship with DSHS licensors. Took great care of me and gave me time off when I needed it.

ConsLarge portion of the company was sold to HC REIT and Emeritus.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up your reputation of giving excellent care to seniors on the West Coast.

Community Relations

COMMUNITY RELATIONS DIRECTOR (Former Employee)

I worked at Merrill Gardens full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGives awards to employees, if they go the ertra mile. Donates to the USO and other Events.
Has a good Activitys program for Residents.Good Training for new hires. Has good HR people.

ConsDoes not work fast to get improvements in building takes to long. Does not give Vacation time compared to other companys. Does not inform residents at a timely manner for any changes in Policy. Regionals do not check Managers time and Policy changes in a timely manner. Short staffed, overworked staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet enough staff to cover so every one can get better service. Keep staff more informed on any changes. Rents go up to much for buidling that need repair.

Worked for Merrill Gardens? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Merrill Gardens reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Merrill Gardens CEO Bill Pettit. All 26 reviews posted anonymously by Merrill Gardens employees.