Merrill Gardens

Updated August 7, 2014
Updated August 7, 2014

2.6

Bill Pettit

Very proffessional environment, I learned a lot working here.

Former Employee - Concierge  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Concierge in San Jose, CA

Pros

I really enjoyed the culture of respect and generosity among staff and residents. I also appreciated being mentored by my boss.

Cons

Not a whole lot of opportunity for growth. I had to leave the company to get a promotion after two + years of hard work and dedication.

No clear vision and poor management. Watch your back.

Pros

Home office is nice. Most colleagues are collegial except sr. mgmt.

Cons

senior leadership lacking. everything you read about nepotism is true.

compensation well below industry average.

Merrill Gardens Response

Aug 18, 2014

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate you bringing these concerns to our attention. Our goal is to provide a great environment for all team members, both at our community locations and in our ... More

BEWARE!

Former Employee - Assisted Living Supervisor  in  Albertville, AL
    Former Employee - Assisted Living Supervisor in Albertville, AL

Pros

When I first started, everything looked & sounded great! It changed within three weeks.

Cons

If you are not willing to do WHATEVER "the boss" asks, then he will find something to blow up and suggest you are terminated. Meanwhile, other employees on the same level (legally held to a higher accountability related to education) get away with the very same thing.

When a person has been part of the company for two years and have had no complaints, you need to really take them seriously when they do have something to say....and ACT ON IT! This is crucial when you also have residents and family members calling the corporate office. Letting situations lie dormant, or issuing a slap on the hand because it is the easy way out costs money in the end!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nurse

Pros

Caring for Residents and there families

Cons

Toxic, backbiting work environment, employees stealing from the residence and coming to work intoxicated. While management looked the other way

Hire Staff that actually cares about the Residents

Merrill Gardens Response

Aug 18, 2014

Thank you for leaving this response and bringing these issues to our attention. We strive to provide a wonderful place for residents to live and team members to work. We are sorry to hear our ... More

Proceed with caution

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

Hands on with seniors. I loved making watching and making their twilight years enjoyable. The management team was delightful. There was truly team spirit.

Cons

It is a burn and turn environment. Moving in seniors is an arduous task. The community is need of upgrades. The support staff not professional or supportive of the CRD. The community needs to have and inside and outside CRD to pull off the requested numbers.

Great so far

Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse  in  Henderson, NV
    Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Henderson, NV

Pros

This company genuinely seems to care about the residents! So refreshing! The staff is dedicated from the top to the bottom. I can finally say that I have found a home with a company who has standards for care and service that match mine!

Cons

Staffing tool for care staff seems to have an error in formulas but my GM is understanding about this when it is presented correctly.

Keep up doing what you are doing. As a new employee I cannot even begin to express my appreciation for the support I have received.

Great Communities and Company

Pros

The Corporate and Community Leadership are terrific! Quality shows in the buildings and the care of residents and staff

Cons

Some elders can not afford it.

Keep up the good work.

Not the company it used to be

Pros

The support from the community levels is great., from corporate not so much

Cons

Not all that supportive when it comes down to it - they talk about support and open door but don't back it up

Stop pretending that the "seattle office" is not corporate

Inconsistent corporate management.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

The residents in that building changed my life! I am grateful to the people I met, who shared their life stories and advice with me. Incredible community of seniors, I will always remember them with love. The food turned out by Dining Services was fantastic, restaurant quality. Amazing maintenance, dining, care-giving, and housekeeping staff. Everyone worked hard together as a team for the residents. Had a wonderful and inspiring GM that built a dedicated team, and a fabulous and caring Marketing Director that mentored other employees.

Cons

Our building went through a rapid change of General Managers, which upset the residents and destroyed the morale of the staff. It was a difficult location for seniors to live--the building was on a hill, not senior-friendly for walking on a busy street, and in an area over-saturated with competing senior communities. It was clear the last GM I encountered was on a mission from corporate to 'clean house.' The "open door" policy disappeared, she would not speak to staff members without an appointment scheduled. Very strange management style. She started firing people within a few weeks of arriving, barely coming out of her office. Not managing by walking around and observing staff, just pouring over employee files with the door closed. It was devastating to the residents when beloved caregivers and other key staff disappeared without any notice. The most bizarre changes happened with the activities program. A hot-shot new corporate hire began suggesting we add "beer pong" to the activities calendar, trivia nights at bars for field trips, and conducting elaborate mandatory "volunteer" projects for the residents. There is no way seniors should play "beer pong" as part of a senior living activity program--the potential for interactions with medication, falls, and over-imbibing alcohol could be catastrophic--very reckless. She also advocating blasting loud rock music in the lobby to "shake things up," which would have angered residents and their families. These inappropriate and absurd ideas swiftly drove out a huge number of talented, dedicated activities people that did not agree with her extreme calendar propositions, and would rather leave the company than compromise the activity program. This person has since left the company and I am relieved for the remaining residents and their families! MG has also recently sold most of their local properties to a competitor.

MG, you squandered a lot of passionate talent in your buildings, and lost many dedicated employees. Hopefully you are back on track and have expunged the toxic individuals that did so much damage. Have some faith in your buildings' management teams, and put seniors and their families first over census numbers.

Over Worked - High Pressure

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

The company genuinely cares about the welfare, safety and well being of residents

Cons

The assignment requires 2 employees assigned to the task - Outside and Inside

Worked for Merrill Gardens? Contribute to the Community!