Merrill Gardens Reviews

Bill Pettit

1. good company

Former Employee - Sous Chef in Federal Way, WA
    Former Employee - Sous Chef in Federal Way, WA

I worked at Merrill Gardens (More than a year)

Pros

great people great resisdents. had a blast working there

Cons

when the people pass away its sad

2. Nurse

Pros

wonderful atmosphere very caring company high standards

Cons

the pay is low for the job

3. Caregiver

Former Employee - CNA in Renton, WA
    Former Employee - CNA in Renton, WA

Pros

1) Free Food !! 2) Flexible Schedules 3) Nice residents

Cons

1) The nurse and general manger expect too much from the CNA's. 2) Favoritism 3) Poor communication among employee's.

Advice to Management

My advice for the Merrill Garden at Renton Centre is to hire kind, professional, and responsible management staff that are actually willing to work ! Not just to be there, walking around.

5. A memorable experience

Former Employee - Server in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Server in Seattle, WA

I worked at Merrill Gardens part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Making great personal connections with residents - good wage given limited experience - free meals for full shifts - a strong sense of teamwork

Cons

- saying goodbye or unexpected deaths - dealing with mental health problems regularly (anger, confusion, etc.) - management seemed very impersonal with part time employees

Started out great

Current Employee - Caregiver in Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Caregiver in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at Merrill Gardens full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits; medical, dental, vision, 401K, paid vacation and sick leave

Cons

Inappropriate placement of residents, no pay incentive in regards to experience- everyone starts at the same wage

Advice to Management

Take into account a perspective employee's experience when offering a starting wage. Also, listen to your caregivers. Take what we are saying seriously

7. CNA/Caregiver

Current Employee - CNA
    Current Employee - CNA

I have been working at Merrill Gardens full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My facility feeds the staff members for free. Personable coworkers. Flexible shifts.

Cons

Can be stressful on some days, especially morning shifts. Pay is kind of low for amount of work.

It's Just Sad

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

I think the company pays pretty well and there are some great people that work here. The benefits are pretty good too.

Cons

We took a huge step backwards a couple weeks ago. The office was starting to feel better and there was a good spirit of team work being developed. We haven't had that in the seven or so years I have been here. However, that is gone now.

Advice to Management

Take time to recognize the great things that people are doing. Sure, money is important, but recognize that's not the most important thing to the people that are creating all those big profits for you. We take care of seniors. That's why many of us got into this business. It's not only about industry leading profits. And, please, don't call us the Russell Wilson of senior housing and then tell us we don't get bonuses because we weren't good enough. That was rediculous.

So close!!

Pros

So close to changing a culture I was almost convinced it was going to happen. Great people work here but they're rarely recognized with anymore than a paper certificate.

Cons

Turnover. Lots of turnover throughout all levels of the business.

Advice to Management

Instead of beating people over the head about the few misses in a slough of hits, be sincere, appreciative and honest. It will make people more receptive when constructive feedback is given and maybe even empower them to be more proactive in the future. The kid whose parents only ever told him he was a terrible kid ended up believing it. Not that everyone deserves a trophy, but find the balance, that's why good people leave this organization.

Corporate Office Employee

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Merrill Gardens full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When I started this job a few years back, things were going all right. There was pros and cons. After some changes in my department, I was feeling really good about things. Then the Emeritus divestiture happened and things have started to decline from there.

Cons

Departments have been reduced down to a single person in most. Not having any backup is extremely stressful and even a vacation doesn't feel good knowing how much work is building up.

Advice to Management

A single point of failure is risky, but having more than 8 single points is a recipe for disaster.

11. alright

Former Employee - Server
    Former Employee - Server

I worked at Merrill Gardens full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

getting to know the residents and learning more about them. the work life balance was impossible as there is no set schedule for majority of workers. Training was quick and unless you learn quickly you will not be prepared. I enjoyed my 5 years with the company but it was not a easy 5 years. I realize most of this belongs in cons but they want a 20 word minimum

Cons

You spend alot of time with the residents so naturally you get to know them and in some cases they become part of your family. As elderly tend to do they die and it causes stress on your mental health it is a very burn and turn environment but all in all I enjoyed my time there

Advice to Management

got bought out I have no words for management

RSS Feed </> Embed