Merrill Gardens
www.merrillgardens.com Seattle, WA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Merrill Gardens Reviews

Updated May 16, 2014
Merrill Gardens – Tacoma – “Merrill Gardens (main campus)”

Bill Pettit

Not the company it used to be

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe support from the community levels is great., from corporate not so much

ConsNot all that supportive when it comes down to it - they talk about support and open door but don't back it up

Advice to Senior ManagementStop pretending that the "seattle office" is not corporate

I am leaving this job

Resident Care (Current Employee)
    San Diego, TX

ProsThe residents are so grateful for the smallest things and they want to hear about your life and treat you like you are a son or daughter. The residents make you feel appreciated and that your job is important.

ConsThe problem is the corporate management. I do not feel that they are the least bit interested in the elderly residents or their happiness and care. They are only interested in the money. They only ask about things related to money and census and never about the care of the residents. I know they charge them a lot and I do not feel right about that. They hire managers and administrators that are just like them, as in cut throat, competitive, greedy. These people will violate regulations and then we are supposed to go along with it. I see many things that do not seem right going on here. If you don't go along, they make fun of you. There is alot of turnover and they hire some seedy caregivers just to have a body.

Advice to Senior ManagementI was hoping that they would sell this place (they are selling places to another company), then I would work for the new ones. I was told they are not selling where I work, so I am quitting as soon as I find another job. If the people at the top were nice and involved and did not want all the money for themselves and cut us out, it might be ok. I don't see that changing. Their ads are all cheery and fun, but that is not the way it really is. most are not happy.

Dysfunctional, Bad Employee Treatment and Morale, Corp Vampires and Liars

San Diego, CA

ProsFriendly Residents, Food, Sweet Residents, and Kind Residents, Food

ConsI enjoyed this job at first- which wasn't long until I realized how less not much they care about the employees and residents it’s all about the money with them nickel and diming the residents for everything. Mean spirited unfriendly Corp/Regional and Micro Mis- Managers are all about big egos, paychecks and are out right nasty with poor management skills and etiquette. Only the BROWN NOSER and FAVORITES will survive. No one is happy and look miserable, with a lot of gossip and negativity among co-workers which make them difficult to work with. And way above Higher then High turnover for any organization in the industry. That should tell you something is wrong right there. They expect a lot with little or no training, and could care less. Your constantly threatened with write-ups and violations and they will lie to get you out the door. Not a place you would want to spend 8 hours of your day at- (Be afraid be very afraid and run far.. or always walk on egg shells…and be sucked into the bizarre chaos of their abyss DO NOT BOTHER WITH MERRILL GARDENS PERIOD)!!

Advice to Senior ManagementMicromanaging is a mistake many new managers make and there's no better way to alienate your workforce. Employees told there's only one way to do things -- yours -- will stop thinking creatively about how to solve problems."A lot of organizations aren't doing the hard work to train their employees and expect them to come into the workforce with skills,. "Most workers don't know what skills are required in different jobs. If you don't know what they are, how do you go get them?"

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stay away

Seattle, WA

ProsThe residents are the ones who bring pleasure to this job.

ConsFamilies should be aware they are paying a large some of money for mediocre living quarters, meals and care. The company has made deep budget cuts to stay afloat and in doing so cut basic things like housekeeping and food service. If you have a relative there I would recommend you check the floors under the bed and the bathrooms and ask yourself is this really worth it. Staff are overworked and not given the resources to do their job with confidence.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo the CEO-read these reviews and take them to heart if MG really does care. Clean house starting with general managers. As other reviews have mentioned some have become so wrapped up in their own self-worth they will bully and treat others poorly to elevate themselves.

What can I say?

Community Relations Director (Former Employee)
    Manteca, CA

ProsRetirement Plan
    Hourly rates
    Working with great staff and seniors
    Management gets trips for training. They are basically a waste of money for the company and the management attending them.

ConsA nasty, greedy corporate culture that will become the demise of the company. Mean-spirited management, greed, greed, greed and more greed. The upper management says that they care about the residents, they even have regional meetings where they try and make themselves look like compassionate people, they are not.

Advice to Senior ManagementEgotism will make you fail.

This is a horrible place to work!

Regional Director (Former Employee)

ProsThey do provide a paycheck, and in this economy it that is a plus. However if you have an alternative to working for Merrill Gardens you should take it.

ConsUpper management is populated with mean spirited sociopaths. The corporate culture is disgusting. Promotions are based on nepotism,The company is busy cutting staff hours and services to residents in an attempt meet unrealistic financial projections.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey don't take advice. I am sure they are very proud of their achievements......dismantling the company and selling out. Just discontinue the MG Cares program. The blatant hypocrisy makes the daily abuse much more difficult to stomach.

Favoritism-scratch my back and I'll scratch yours

ProsGood for someone who is already covered for medical benefits and students

ConsHours are constantly being cut and expectations and duties rise. Employees don't get the "atta-boys"

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not show favoritism. Be consistent.

Atmosphere

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI would just say the residents. They were my life when I worked there.

ConsToo much pressure for the compensation was not worth it. Everyone that got hired after me was getting paid at least .50-2.00 more than me without experience

Advice to Senior ManagementDont know

Proceed with caution

Seattle, WA

ProsHands on with seniors. I loved making watching and making their twilight years enjoyable. The management team was delightful. There was truly team spirit.

ConsIt is a burn and turn environment. Moving in seniors is an arduous task. The community is need of upgrades. The support staff not professional or supportive of the CRD. The community needs to have and inside and outside CRD to pull off the requested numbers.

Inconsistent corporate management.

Seattle, WA

ProsThe residents in that building changed my life! I am grateful to the people I met, who shared their life stories and advice with me. Incredible community of seniors, I will always remember them with love. The food turned out by Dining Services was fantastic, restaurant quality. Amazing maintenance, dining, care-giving, and housekeeping staff. Everyone worked hard together as a team for the residents. Had a wonderful and inspiring GM that built a dedicated team, and a fabulous and caring Marketing Director that mentored other employees.

ConsOur building went through a rapid change of General Managers, which upset the residents and destroyed the morale of the staff. It was a difficult location for seniors to live--the building was on a hill, not senior-friendly for walking on a busy street, and in an area over-saturated with competing senior communities. It was clear the last GM I encountered was on a mission from corporate to 'clean house.' The "open door" policy disappeared, she would not speak to staff members without an appointment scheduled. Very strange management style. She started firing people within a few weeks of arriving, barely coming out of her office. Not managing by walking around and observing staff, just pouring over employee files with the door closed. It was devastating to the residents when beloved caregivers and other key staff disappeared without any notice. The most bizarre changes happened with the activities program. A hot-shot new corporate hire began suggesting we add "beer pong" to the activities calendar, trivia nights at bars for field trips, and conducting elaborate mandatory "volunteer" projects for the residents. There is no way seniors should play "beer pong" as part of a senior living activity program--the potential for interactions with medication, falls, and over-imbibing alcohol could be catastrophic--very reckless. She also advocating blasting loud rock music in the lobby to "shake things up," which would have angered residents and their families. These inappropriate and absurd ideas swiftly drove out a huge number of talented, dedicated activities people that did not agree with her extreme calendar propositions, and would rather leave the company than compromise the activity program. This person has since left the company and I am relieved for the remaining residents and their families! MG has also recently sold most of their local properties to a competitor.

Advice to Senior ManagementMG, you squandered a lot of passionate talent in your buildings, and lost many dedicated employees. Hopefully you are back on track and have expunged the toxic individuals that did so much damage. Have some faith in your buildings' management teams, and put seniors and their families first over census numbers.

Worked for Merrill Gardens? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Merrill Gardens reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Merrill Gardens CEO Bill Pettit. All 27 reviews posted anonymously by Merrill Gardens employees.