Merrill Gardens

2.6

Bill Pettit

It's Just Sad

I have been working at Merrill Gardens

Pros

I think the company pays pretty well and there are some great people that work here. The benefits are pretty good too.

Cons

We took a huge step backwards a couple weeks ago. The office was starting to feel better and there was a good spirit of team work being developed. We haven't had that in the seven or so years I have been here. However, that is gone now.

Take time to recognize the great things that people are doing. Sure, money is important, but recognize that's not the most important thing to the people that are creating all those big profits for you. We take care of seniors. That's why many of us got into this business. It's not only about industry leading profits. And, please, don't call us the Russell Wilson of senior housing and then tell us we don't get bonuses because we weren't good enough. That was rediculous.

So close!!

I have been working at Merrill Gardens

Pros

So close to changing a culture I was almost convinced it was going to happen. Great people work here but they're rarely recognized with anymore than a paper certificate.

Cons

Turnover. Lots of turnover throughout all levels of the business.

Instead of beating people over the head about the few misses in a slough of hits, be sincere, appreciative and honest. It will make people more receptive when constructive feedback is given and maybe even empower them to be more proactive in the future. The kid whose parents only ever told him he was a terrible kid ended up believing it. Not that everyone deserves a trophy, but find the balance, that's why good people leave this organization.

Corporate Office Employee

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Merrill Gardens full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

When I started this job a few years back, things were going all right. There was pros and cons. After some changes in my department, I was feeling really good about things. Then the Emeritus divestiture happened and things have started to decline from there.

Cons

Departments have been reduced down to a single person in most. Not having any backup is extremely stressful and even a vacation doesn't feel good knowing how much work is building up.

A single point of failure is risky, but having more than 8 single points is a recipe for disaster.

alright

Former Employee - Server
    Former Employee - Server

I worked at Merrill Gardens full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

getting to know the residents and learning more about them. the work life balance was impossible as there is no set schedule for majority of workers. Training was quick and unless you learn quickly you will not be prepared. I enjoyed my 5 years with the company but it was not a easy 5 years. I realize most of this belongs in cons but they want a 20 word minimum

Cons

You spend alot of time with the residents so naturally you get to know them and in some cases they become part of your family. As elderly tend to do they die and it causes stress on your mental health it is a very burn and turn environment but all in all I enjoyed my time there

got bought out I have no words for management

BEWARE!

Former Employee - Assisted Living Supervisor in Albertville, AL
    Former Employee - Assisted Living Supervisor in Albertville, AL

I worked at Merrill Gardens full-time (more than a year)

Pros

When I first started, everything looked & sounded great! It changed within three weeks.

Cons

If you are not willing to do WHATEVER "the boss" asks, then he will find something to blow up and suggest you are terminated. Meanwhile, other employees on the same level (legally held to a higher accountability related to education) get away with the very same thing.

When a person has been part of the company for two years and have had no complaints, you need to really take them seriously when they do have something to say....and ACT ON IT! This is crucial when you also have residents and family members calling the corporate office. Letting situations lie dormant, or issuing a slap on the hand because it is the easy way out costs money in the end!

Nurse

I worked at Merrill Gardens

Pros

Caring for Residents and there families

Cons

Toxic, backbiting work environment, employees stealing from the residence and coming to work intoxicated. While management looked the other way

Hire Staff that actually cares about the Residents

Merrill Gardens Response

Aug 18, 2014

Thank you for leaving this response and bringing these issues to our attention. We strive to provide a wonderful place for residents to live and team members to work. We are sorry to hear our ... More

No clear vision and poor management. Watch your back.

I worked at Merrill Gardens part-time

Pros

Home office is nice. Most colleagues are collegial except sr. mgmt.

Cons

senior leadership lacking. everything you read about nepotism is true.

compensation well below industry average.

Merrill Gardens Response

Aug 18, 2014

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate you bringing these concerns to our attention. Our goal is to provide a great environment for all team members, both at our community locations and in our ... More

Proceed with caution

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Merrill Gardens full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Hands on with seniors. I loved making watching and making their twilight years enjoyable. The management team was delightful. There was truly team spirit.

Cons

It is a burn and turn environment. Moving in seniors is an arduous task. The community is need of upgrades. The support staff not professional or supportive of the CRD. The community needs to have and inside and outside CRD to pull off the requested numbers.

Not the company it used to be

I worked at Merrill Gardens full-time

Pros

The support from the community levels is great., from corporate not so much

Cons

Not all that supportive when it comes down to it - they talk about support and open door but don't back it up

Stop pretending that the "seattle office" is not corporate

Not willing

Current Employee - Business Office in Lynnwood, WA
    Current Employee - Business Office in Lynnwood, WA

I have been working at Merrill Gardens full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People really do Care alot

Cons

Salary seem to be very low

OK where I am

Merrill Gardens Photos

Merrill Gardens (main campus)

+ Add Photo