Merrill Lynch

Merrill Lynch President & CEO of Bank of America Brian T. Moynihan

Brian T. Moynihan

39 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Place to Start

Investment Services Advisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Merrill Lynch

ProsThis is agreat place to start and recieve your liscensing
The company fosters growth and pays you to get started
You are managing an existing book and helping to increase assets without having the stress of needing to be out there on your own

ConsThe beginning pay is low but that shouldbe expected in an industry where everything is expected to be made off of assets received and commissions mande

Advice to Senior ManagementThere truthfully is nothing that I would change about this position. They allow you to get your licenses and also actually learn about investments. I spoken with too many branch born advisors that cant do anything but bring in assets

Retirement Information specialist!

Participant Services Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Merrill Lynch

ProsNot hard work and good job security.
Opens your knowledge of your own retirement.
Speak with very interesting people everyday.

ConsThe interesting people you speak to everyday may not be calls you wish to take everyday five days a week.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement does a great job creating a professional enviroment while maintaining a joyful experience to keep a positive mind for the position.

Still miss the old days...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Merrill Lynch

ProsPrior to the Bank of America deal, the culture at Mother Merrill was wonderful. There was definitely a sense of purpose and teamwork. Campus life was great.

ConsLots of politics, but this is corporate America so what do you expect. There were and still are some sleazy people still working there. Some departments were very cliquish...almost like high school.

Advice to Senior ManagementTwo words: Risk Management.

Great Place to work

Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Merrill Lynch

ProsGreat compensation, came into the ML world at the wrong time however. Technology is wonderful as are all the people.

ConsCan be cheap with basic employee needs. No overtime whatsoever. Will tell you to take mornings off, etc if you are working too late.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement can be like any big bank. They favor particular people. The people who move up the fastest aren't ever the best workers. Would rather loose an employee then give a small raise.

Times have changed

Senior Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Merrill Lynch

ProsBenefits are great: tuition reimbursement, paid time off, stock options, 401K, retirement plan, employee discounts, opportunities to volunteer, on-site vendor fairs

ConsObviously, the economic donwturn has changed a few things: very few career advancement opportunities; employees must do more work with less people; inability to speak freely about issues

Advice to Senior ManagementI would just like to remind them to not forget about the little people still breaking their backs for the company, those who stayed loyal despite the naysayers and negativity.

Pros and Cons of a Merrill career

Senior Specialist, Finance (Former Employee)

I worked at Merrill Lynch

ProsMerrill Lynch provides a good view into the financial industry and is a good stepping off point for people that want to be financial analysts. They are also fully dedicated to Six Sigma practices, so if you want to be a Six Sigma champion, this is a good place to work.

ConsI didn't feel there was any room for advancement. Yes, you could move up to a first tier manager, but that was it unless you wanted to relocate. Also, they hand out management positions like they are entry-level. It seemed if you were there for 3 years, you were automatically a manager. Some of the less qualified people were promoted.

Advice to Senior Managementmake sure you get in good with the leaders, they only reward the people they like.

not bad place to get a start

Participant Services Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Merrill Lynch

Prosit is a good place to get a series 7 and 66, the people that work there are typically above average for there positions and it is competitive

Consyouy actually work for BAC. We havent had any financial incentives for over a year and have been mislead about raises for the year. We were told to expect BAC raises and to be happy we still had jobs. We are now in april and I see no yearly raise that was promised in Dec. They treat us like we should be happy to have a job, but explain that we should have our heads held high.

Advice to Senior Managementshow us you care

Work

Financial Advisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Merrill Lynch

ProsThe pay is good. You are able to start out straight from college and if you are good on the phone you can make a lot of money quickly. I made $70k my first year as an advisor and was promoted twice during that time. However, if you do not hit your goals and rank poorly among your peers you will get demoted quickly. It's not a long term job but the experience is good.

ConsNot knowing if you are going to get laid off from one day to the next. Your boss will not tell you much about what is going on internally in the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementTell your employees more of what is going on.

Good Place to Work, Great company, but now who knows where it goes?

Assistant Vice President (Current Employee)

I have been working at Merrill Lynch

ProsBenefits package is really good, good salary and prestige for the career, very complex company and multiple resources, very good place to learn and promote, The people is very sharp, the network within the old employes is very strong and it's a very good resource for newcomers, the campus in Jacksonville has been well planned and executed, the technology in IT it's one of the best in the Financial world.

ConsThe recently financial debacle, it's very hard to know that many of us will be layoff soon or later. because the financial issues everything is in hold, no plans even that short plans for less than one year. no training, no future at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn from the past, there are several mistakes that cost a lot to stockholders, clients and employees, that damage cannot be tolerated because will require years to re-gain confidence from all.

Merrill Lynch PPS - A great start if you're new to the business.

PSR - the Retirement Group At Merrill Lynch (Current Employee)

I have been working at Merrill Lynch

ProsMerrill offers a range of different positions if you can last. Working in the call center dealing with 401ks can be challenging with the same call over and over again. Merrill offers 3 weeks of vacation and great benefits from the minute you set foot on the campus. The salary starts off less than others I've heard (Fidelity) but if you get promoted to the Financial Advisory Center, I hear the bonus structure is much more appealing than most firms. Your colleagues will range from 22 to 28 years of age. The year-end bonus is very generous. They will pay for all licensing exams.

ConsIts a call center, so you know. I've been with the firm over a year and a half, and have yet to be offered a raise much less a promotion. My supervisors rated me a 4 (out of 5) while the average is a 3. I would like to be cross-trained but that hasn't happened yet.

Advice to Senior ManagementCross train your reps on Merrill products so we don't have to transfer the call to someone who is.

Worked for Merrill Lynch? Contribute to the Community!

Merrill Lynch – Why Work for Us?

Merrill Lynch – A Global Leader Merrill Lynch is one of the world’s premier providers of wealth management, securities trading and sales, corporate finance and investment banking services. Working with our clients as… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Merrill Lynch reviews and ratings in Jacksonville, FL — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Merrill Lynch CEO Brian T. Moynihan . All 39 reviews posted anonymously by Merrill Lynch employees.