Merrill Lynch Reviews

Reset

1. Great Place to Work

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Merrill Lynch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was involved in back office work and it was fun and easy to get my work done and still have time to work on new things as well.

Cons

Sometimes, the work was monotonous, but I mean, what job doesn't have that?

Advice to Management

Thanks for a great place to work and an opportunity to move my career forward.

2. Great employer

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Merrill Lynch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast promotions, leadership is mostly hired within, great pay, great work environment, I have enjoyed the fact that right out of college I was encouraged to learn as much as I could and given alot of opportunities that I otherwise would never have had

Cons

beurocracy, hard to get vacation, training, relationship with bank of america causes alot of issues and frustration

3. My experience with Merrill Lynch is very challenging.

Current Employee - Retirement and Benefit Specialist in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Retirement and Benefit Specialist in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Merrill Lynch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The reasons to work for Merrill Lynch are as follows: 1. Longevity 2.Reputation 3.Opportunities

Cons

Challenges to working for Merrill Lynch: 1. Very demanding schedule!

Advice to Management

stretch training out for first 6 months and allow for study of series 7 at work all day, and the result will be over 80% pass rate!!!

5. It's a good company to work with depending on the area that you choose

Current Employee - Securities Specialist in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Securities Specialist in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Merrill Lynch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoy the work-life balance. The company offers great hours and the flexibility to start your day at the time you choose (within reason) as long as you complete your 40 hours and the work gets done. Tuition reimbursement is a plus.

Cons

Work gets very repetitive and boring at times.

Nice stepping stone

Former Employee - Client Service Representative in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Client Service Representative in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Merrill Lynch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There's always a carrot for opportunity. Whether or not you get it depends on too many factors to list.

Cons

There's always an incentive to do well but when you do, there are people who find a way to turn it against you.

Advice to Management

Follow through with planned incentives.

7. Has been great so far decent pay and great people a lot of opportunity to advance

Current Employee - Senior Operations Analyst in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Operations Analyst in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Merrill Lynch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Advancement opportunities. Also will give you the opportunity move up the financial ladder.

Cons

30 minute lunches are a pain. Long redundant training courses or compliance courses.

A great company with work-life balance, but process-heavy.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Merrill Lynch full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

People here are easy to work with, although there are always a few bad apples. As in most places, it is your direct manager who gets to decide the quality of your stay. I am lucky to have had a few managers and most of them are very understanding. Work-life balance is very respected here. There are times when I had to work extra hours to get the job done, but that is sort of expected from any responsible individuals who is serious about his or her career, wouldn't you say? Hard work is usually noticed and rewarded, but don't be afraid to let our manager know. If you are lucky, you might even get to work from home full-time like many of my co-workers.

Cons

Since Bank of America has taken over the company, benefits and bonuses are not as good as they once were. Performance unfortunately is still based on stack ranking. And bureaucracy and red-tape can take a toll on you.

Advice to Management

I know management is trying to make things better and simpler, but there is still a lot of room to improve. We can be better! And please, train the managers and enable them.

9. A good place to get work experience

Former Employee - Customer Service in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Merrill Lynch full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

ML is proactive in recruiter new talent, fresh from college graduation. They offer a variety of positions and do have a corporate ladder you can climb. Professional development training is important. Many of the managers seem to care genuinely for their employees. An embrace of community is evident through the involvement with local programs. Overall, a good place to get a start to your career. You can learn a lot of basic business skills through the company. It's reputation alone is a nice resume builder.

Cons

ML treated me well while I was there (10 years). The salaries for entry level and middle management are not high. Turnover was considerable. Sometimes advancement opportunities seemed limited only due to "hand picked" favorites who seemed on the star track. Those decisions didn't always feel legit. But overall, it's a good company and treats employees well.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to employees. Don't show favoritism. Know your team and invest in them. The pay off will be increased performance. When employees feel their management team "has their back" - they will work harder for them.

10. Corporate Stale Environment that has great working employees.

Former Intern - Intern in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Intern - Intern in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Merrill Lynch as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

-My manager was AMAZING! Always listened, never was a stickler about being late for anyone, and this person let me take a few days off. -Pay was great for an Intern! -Co-workers ALWAYS willing to help you.

Cons

-No one is DRIVEN! -The stale, do your job, clock in clock out mentality can be seen and felt in this environment. No one had great ambition to do more with their lives as far as career wise.

Advice to Management

For ALL Upper Management, PLEASE have a physical presence with all your employees by visiting the many departments and branches at least once a year. You all are just emails on a screen.

11. It's a good stepping stone

Current Employee - Gwim Operations Analyst H-7 in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Gwim Operations Analyst H-7 in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Merrill Lynch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people Great benefits Involved with the community Promote licensure Looks good on you're resume for your next Job

Cons

Boring office environment Low pay Not much from for advancement.

Advice to Management

Make the office more fun and not so boring. Spend more time having one on one's with your employees. Promote more team outings for building team morale. And when the weekly parking pass is handed out. Tell everyone why that person earned the parking pass because no one really knows how to earn it. Most people who get it have no idea why.

Showing 62 of 1,502 reviews