Merrill Lynch

Employer Engaged

51 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

At least it's a job.

Current Employee - Senior Operations Analyst in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Merrill Lynch full-time (more than a year)

Pros

15 vacation days, can purchase another 5 and 10 sick days. Opportunity to learn the back office operations. Lots of extended education opportunities.

Cons

Department has to work until midnight on the end of each month and late on almost every night in December. Has 4 direct managers for 7 associates, and very difficult for advancement without playing the corporate game.

You might want to reevaluate the industry standards because there is a lot of movement to competitors. Streamline the business, promote corporate efficiency, cut the dead-weights and retain the top talent.

Not the same since Bank of America

Current Employee - Senior Operations Analyst in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Merrill Lynch full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Was an amazing place to work for. Very professional, great benefits, and talented people until the merger with Bank of America. Since the merger, they have been slowly taking away our benefits and bonuses. The atmosphere has become very laxed but micromanaged at the same time. Less of a professional atmosphere. Most of the talented people have left and have been replaced with less talented people with less ambition.

Cons

The VPs and AVPs like to derail important meetings to talk about reality TV shows, Babies, and food.

Talented people are passed over for promotions in favor of friends and family members.

Overworked and Underpaid

I have been working at Merrill Lynch

Pros

The company benefits are excellent.

Cons

You are expected to work many hours after your shift and practically live there. This is not a good place for anyone who wants a life outside of work.

Employment with Merrill Lynch was not what I thought it would be.

I worked at Merrill Lynch

Pros

If you are lucky enough to get on a decent team with a decent manager you will be just fine.

Cons

With the recent changes bought over by Bank of America, a few of the managers were promoted internally. As a result, they have little to know knowledge of Bank of America procedures which could become a problem.

Make sure that you know all policies and procedures BEFORE making a decision as opposed to during or after when it may or may not be too late.

A job, nothing more.

Current Employee - Applications Developer in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Applications Developer in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Merrill Lynch

Pros

Nice campus. Reasonably clean bathrooms. Cramped office space in use, lots of unused space.

Cons

Antiquated equipment and software. Incessant bureaucracy and fence building (turf defense) causes normally easily solved problems to be practically unsolvable.

Come out of your office at other than times of crisis.

Not bad for a first time...

I have been working at Merrill Lynch

Pros

-Room for advancement, great education

Cons

-lot's of pressure and stress. Changes very rapidly

Focus more on ethics instead of revenue

Unless you are a FA, don't bother!

I worked at Merrill Lynch

Pros

Good company to get your foot in the door, bad for long term growth.

Cons

Way too much middle management!!
    3 of 3 positions at ML, I was more knowledgeable about my functions then my manager.

Value hard workers

You're on your own....swimming with the sharks

Former Employee - Financial Advisor Trainee (PMD) in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor Trainee (PMD) in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Merrill Lynch

Pros

Benefits were decent...free lunches 2-3 times per week provided by the investment wholesalers. I would only recommend Merrill Lynch for a seasoned advisor from another firm, and who has an established client base. Endless investment products available.

Cons

Cold, impersonal and toxic work environment! Local leadership team has no interest in the success of the new hire PMD Trainees, and as a result, you are left to learn the systems, products, services, and platforms on your own, but still have the expectation of reaching your unrealistic goals and hurdles. Way too many products, which makes it nearly impossible to give proper advice. Most of the CA's (client associates) are lazy and only assist the higher producing FA's. There is minimal support at best...Unfortunately, real sad part is that the clients are the practice runs for the PMD's...which leaves them with the probability of sub-par advice with their investments.

Put some real effort in the success of your new hire PD's...or at least pretend you care. Work on creating a positive team environment that promotes productivity...not and environment that sabotages the success of the new-hire PMD's. Trainees should be paired with seasoned FA's so that they can learn in the proper manner, instead of becoming overwhelmed with the platforms and options available. Revisit the balance of the goals vs current market environment for PMD's....goals are unrealistic and excessive.

Merrill Lynch Direct

Former Employee - Merrill Lynch Direct in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Merrill Lynch Direct in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Merrill Lynch

Pros

very nice campus in jacksonville, fl that is a good location in town. Health Insurance benefits were excellent compared to my current employer.

Cons

Internal communication is terrible, no work done with a sense of urgency, phone job gets very redundent after a while.

you were stupid 8 years ago when Stan O'Neal said that online brokerage firms would be a flash in the pan - now you're in a position where the Schwabs, Fido's, and TDAmeritrade's of the world are crushing you. Look for a way to get serious about that business.

Merrill Lynch is great place to work!

Current Employee - Entry Level Hire in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Entry Level Hire in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Merrill Lynch

Pros

This is a great company. I've enjoyed my experience at Merrill Lynch and see myself staying for years to come. Merrill will train you as good as or better than the competition and the management at Merrill really cares for their employees.

Cons

The transition to the Bank of America strategy has been somewhat of a bitter experience for some of my coworkers, but the changes have been minimal. Otherwise, not many complaints!

The leadership is really outstanding. From my supervisor on up to corporate management, they lead with a loyalty to their employees and to their clients.