Merrill Lynch

Merrill Lynch Reviews in New Jersey

Updated Jun 25, 2014

Merrill Lynch President & CEO of Bank of America Brian T. Moynihan

Brian T. Moynihan

Pros
  • Decent work/life balance(based on your work area) Good (not great) benefits(in 42 reviews)

• learned a lot about client management in a high assets environment(in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • The work-life balance is definitely a con(in 22 reviews)

• long hours work life balance leaves only work work can be boring sometimes and can be too overwhelming sometimes(in 32 reviews)

111 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

It was a very fufilling experience

Client Solutions Associate (Former Employee) Hopewell, NJ

ProsA lot of progression and growth opportunities. I studied for the series 7 while I was there and then got my 66 after I left

ConsIt's a large workplace so it's easy to get caught in the mix

Advice to Senior ManagementPlace a better emphasis on communication between departments. These delays affect client service profoundly.

Great employment opportunity with room growth

GWIM Operations Team Lead (Former Employee) Pennington, NJ

ProsFriendly working environment with really good benefits (especially paid time off), unlimited growth and career opportunities within the company; including transferring to another state, flexibility to work overtime and work from home depending upon what service area you work in.

ConsHaving to trek into work during inclement weather (major snow storms/blizzards), despite it being a state of emergency and very hazardous conditions. If you called out and did not come in, you were reminded (put on a guilt trip) that others made it in.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Absolutely Awful; Forced to Lie on Employee Satisfaction Surveys to give the company good ratings

Assistant Vice President - GWIM (Current Employee) Pennington, NJ

Pros-what pro's the management lies about everything

Cons-compensation
    -no advancement
    -all earnings go to someone other than the people doing the work

Advice to Senior ManagementAll of you are the lowest grade of human beings alive. You are dishonest, treat people like machines, and encourage fights between team members. Also provide actual training be for you throw your employees to the fire and then blame them for not knowing what to do.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company - Bad Pay - Questionable choice of managers

Assistant Vice President, Technology (Former Employee) Hopewell, NJ

ProsWork is good. Opportunity to move teams and to grow.Nice Campus and work from home options.

ConsCompensation is low compared to similar companies in the same area.
    Most managers don't believe or follow the company's values or principles towards staff.
    A lot of politics (based on ethnicity and for year-end bonus) which made my experience unpleasant.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave leaders who believe in your corporate philosophy.

Negative experience. Felt like they were taking advantage of the employees.

Wealth Management (Former Employee) Pennington, NJ

ProsLost old glory. The name remains the same.

ConsNo opportunity for growth or expected to stay really long time to same position before moving up.

An Identity Crisis

Senior Operations Analyst (Current Employee) Hopewell, NJ

ProsGreat entry level positions right out of college.Positions are competitive. Decent work/life balance(based on your work area) Good (not great) benefits. The ability of getting your series 7 and other licenses.

ConsDo we work for Merrill Lynch the brokerage firm or Bank of America?. Well it's a mix of both. You will work and provide brokerage type results but we'll pay you as if you work at a bank. Compensation is on the lower end of this industry. Don't expect to make much unless working in a Branch office or in a sales position. Want to feel like a number? Great! You will be provided a Person number upon Employment.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop Micromanaging every aspect of the job. Provide relevant internal news of whats going on with the company like Merrill did back in the day.

Demanding and challenging, but more political than most places

Vice President Software Development (Former Employee) Hopewell, NJ

ProsComplex and challenging systems to work on. Bank of America brought in a work from home program that is a great option for some. Opportunity is there to go up if you work hard and

ConsVery large and bureaucratic organization. Legacy Merrill culture was very political and bonus-driven where there was competition and blame game between teams. It got a little better with Bank of America.

No longer the old Merrill

Performance Analyst (Current Employee) Hopewell, NJ

ProsResume builder. Laid back atmosphere

ConsUndervalued, underworked and underpaid.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet lean and bring the bulls back.

average

Financial Solutions Advisor (Former Employee) Hackensack, NJ

ProsCompensation is ok, but it has changed and the goals have changed.

ConsManagement has no direction and there is little chance of promotion

Advice to Senior ManagementKnow the facts

Software Development Manager

Software Development Manager (Current Employee) Jersey City, NJ

ProsIt is a good place to work if you want to learn more about the financial service industry. Merrill promotes teamwork and my peers and managers were very supportive so you don't feel like you're going at an enterprise project alone.

ConsThere are days that you will work long demanding hours. Sometimes you have to work on the weekends. The benefits are pretty much the same as industry standards.

Worked for Merrill Lynch? Contribute to the Community!