Merrill Lynch Reviews

3.6
1,155 Reviews

Merrill Lynch President & CEO of Bank of America Brian T. Moynihan
Brian T. Moynihan

Pros
  • Decent work/life balance(based on your work area) Good (not great) benefits (in 42 reviews)

• learned a lot about client management in a high assets environment (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • The work-life balance is definitely a con (in 22 reviews)

• long hours work life balance leaves only work work can be boring sometimes and can be too overwhelming sometimes (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights

New TFA role

Current Employee - Vice President - Branch Administrative Manager
    Current Employee - Vice President - Branch Administrative Manager

I have been working at Merrill Lynch full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Interested in becoming a financial advisor? Check out the new Team Based FA role. Great way to enter the business.

Cons

Challenging interview process that requires a solid business development plan.

Benefits and time off policy are great

Excellent learning environment

I have been working at Merrill Lynch

Pros

Very professional atmosphere. A lot of learning opportunities and the team is very friendly.

Cons

It is just part time summer position.

AVP FSA

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President FSA  in  Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President FSA in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Merrill Lynch full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great Benefit and compensation, Great employer and manager

Cons

Hard working but there is no really cons about it

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Company.. Treats Employees well

Former Employee - Senior Associate  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Merrill Lynch full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great company cares about the community- blend family and work easily. Good amount of time off. Good work environment

Cons

need better training set ups.. learning from employees who are currently doing the job - which means they may not train well or they may not do the job well enough to teach you everything nor do they have the skills as a train for adult learning techniques.. Most management is good and cares about your career development.

Work on training issues. and make sure every employee is getting the same training, recognition and exposure to project to learn more. Just a few managers need to understand life events are sometimes extraordinary and should help those in those scenarios.. not special favors but just show you care.

Wealth Management Summer Intern

Former Employee - Wealth Management Intern
    Former Employee - Wealth Management Intern

I worked at Merrill Lynch as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Was able to learn so much about how the wealth management business is run. Very friendly senior level employees. All around an amazing experience.

Cons

The pay was minimum wage so it was hard to live off the money for the entire summer. There were also days when I would have literally nothing to do and as nice as it is to be paid to sit it does get boring and I really wanted to be working.

Having a more intense mandatory curriculum for all interns to insure that all time spent in office is beneficial for both the firm and intern.

Business Analyst Intern

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  Pennington, NJ
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Pennington, NJ

I have been working at Merrill Lynch as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Worked with a great team that was always willing to help when I had a question. Everyone was friendly and polite and very knowledgable about their areas. I genuinely learned a lot during my time here and I would highly recommend this internship to anyone else.

Cons

Can sometimes feel like you go unnoticed at such a large company. Difficult to get your foot in the door.

This is one of the best company I have ever worked for in my 16 year career in the financial services industry.

Current Employee - Supervision Principal  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Supervision Principal in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Merrill Lynch full-time for more than a year

Pros

Merrill Lynch is a great company to work for! Management is very proactive in providing the technology and tools needed for me to do my job. Merrill invests a substantial amount of capital in technology and infrastructure. Compensation and employee benefits are awesome. Quite a few employees have worked for ML from 5 to 15 years.

Cons

Because the company is so big, management can sometimes be located in a different state than the employee. Before working for Merrill, I was used to making eye contact with my manager Monday thru Friday. Now, I send emails and leave voicemails for him.

Keep on doing the same awesome job!

Financial Analyst

Former Employee - Financial Analyst  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Merrill Lynch full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Handle a large breadth of the client's financial life, great client interaction experience, open trading desks foster close team culture

Cons

Hours, especially on the West Coast when you need to be in the office at 5am for IPO allocations.

Great experience

Former Employee - Client Associate  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Client Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Merrill Lynch full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I enjoyed every day working for ML. The culture is unparalleled. I only want to work for one company, and that is Merrill lynch.

Cons

Starting salaries for top talent could be better. Better positioning for strategic skill sets. Besides that, nothing bad to say. Good firm

Recognize the talent potential of younger employees early on

Financial Advisory Group Intern

Former Employee - Financial Advisory Team  in  Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Advisory Team in Irvine, CA

I worked at Merrill Lynch as an intern for more than a year

Pros

Worked with very successful team of financial advisors who helped me to develop my financial education and analytical skills. Also, I had lot of opportunities to network and meet many people in the industry. Everyone was very welcoming and helpful when you have questions. Great learning experience for someone who is entering the industry and figuring out which field you intend to pursue. I completed new intern guide/update for the team which later on helped to me to better understand what banks/employers may be looking for.

Cons

Long hours or very early hours can be exhausting specially when you are interning during school semester/quarter. And also it can be pretty competitive. Unless you intern with the team who will want to help you to grow and to develop your skills, sometimes it can be ineffective in terms of learning. Not all teams will be willing to help or train you. Finding the right team is very important.

Management should consider paying or compensating interns who stay longer than one semester/quarter.

Worked for Merrill Lynch? Contribute to the Community!