Merrill Lynch

Updated Jul 22, 2014

3.5 1,109 reviews

Merrill Lynch President & CEO of Bank of America Brian T. Moynihan

Brian T. Moynihan

Pros
  • Decent work/life balance(based on your work area) Good (not great) benefits(in 42 reviews)

• learned a lot about client management in a high assets environment(in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • The work-life balance is definitely a con(in 22 reviews)

• long hours work life balance leaves only work work can be boring sometimes and can be too overwhelming sometimes(in 32 reviews)

1,109 Employee Reviews

Great co-workers, unfair annual review grading system.

Registered Client Associate (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsGreat empolyees. Good oppertunities for growth. Good benefits.

ConsInsane expectations for registration. Company policies do not always line up with every line of business.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not base client associate progress off of their FA's progress. Completely unfair when a CA works hard and has a stubborn FA that doesn't want anything to do with company changes.

Wealth Management Intern and Client Associate

Wealth Management (Former Employee) Corning, NY

ProsExcellent opportunity to work for a BB firm. Access to the best research on The Street and great platform. Almost zero cold calling having been brought onto a team of seasoned producers. Ability to learn from some of the best FA's and gain a tremendous amount of knowledge on the industry.

ConsIf you are not being brought into a team of established producers there will be lots of cold calling. There is a significant amount of pressure to produce, quickly, if you're not being brought onto a team of senior FA's.

PMD

PMD Financial Advisor (Former Employee)

ProsGreat learning experience for someone less-seasoned; top-notch resources.

ConsManagement is fickle with the direction they'd like to push the newer advisors

Advice to Senior ManagementStick with initiatives.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wealth Management Intern

Wealth Management Intern (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsAwesome boss and team to work with. Never got coffee or made copies for other people. I learned so much in this job. My boss allowed me to shadow him on buying and selling stocks and bonds, as well as client meetings. They make a point to explain what your doing rather than assigning meaningless tasks. I got to work with all the financial advisors on the team to find what I was most interested in. I received 3 different job offers from Merrill at the end of my internship.

ConsIf you don't care much about the internship they can tell right off the bat. First impressions are everything.

Good Talent, good life balance

Wealth Management Intern (Former Employee) Wellesley, MA

Pros- Great atmosphere between management and employees, great learning environment.
    - Work hours are nice and flexible.
    - A lot of focus on learning new products and portfolios.

Cons- Lack of focus for intern training program.
    - Pay was mediocre
    - Some drama between Financial advisors that thwars atmosphere at the job

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on training and development of interns and potential talent

Great place to start off a career in financial services.

Registered Participant Representative (Former Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsSomewhat flexible schedule, decent pay, great benefits (vacation time, insurance, 401k.) Merrill pays for all of your training to get Series 7 and Series 66 licenses.

ConsEveryday is the same. You talk to people about their 401ks, pensions, or stock options. I felt like a robot after time having the same conversation with different people over and over. You're on the phone all day too which was ok some days and dreaded others.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing management could really do to make the experience better. The cons are just the nature of the position. Management was very accomodating if I needed to be out or wanted time off.

Great Company

ProsGood people; management cares for employees

ConsLocation is in the middle of nowhere. Long commute for most people

Great Company!

ProsProvided on the job training. Very flexible hours for students who are working part time

ConsThey no longer provide students with tuition reimbursement,

Wealth Management Intern

Global Wealth Management (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsFlexible, easy going office environment

ConsLow pay for interns, a lot of time on the phone

Advice to Senior ManagementTeach interns information more in depth

Great Place to Work

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsI was involved in back office work and it was fun and easy to get my work done and still have time to work on new things as well.

ConsSometimes, the work was monotonous, but I mean, what job doesn't have that?

Advice to Senior ManagementThanks for a great place to work and an opportunity to move my career forward.

Worked for Merrill Lynch? Contribute to the Community!