Merritt Athletic Clubs

Merritt Athletic Clubs COO Terry Dezzutti

Terry Dezzutti

Just Ok

Membership, Sales (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsLots of training, get to interact with a lot of people, commission structure somewhat

ConsHierarchy, not making enough commission at the express clubs, expect you to be personal trainers as sales people

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to what people want, help smaller clubs get better

Great starter company but bad career company

Pros1. Co-workers
    2. Great growth if you really push, scratch and claw
    3. Good not great benefits for the full-time staff
    4. Great outlook on culture (not as good execution)

Cons1. SUPPORT YOUR MANAGERS!!! To many time a member will approach the managers and complain about something (want to cancel membership or personal training), the manager will talk to the member about the policies and the fact that THEY SIGNED A CONTRACT (unfortunately I cannot type that any bigger). They will get ahold of a senior manager/regional/whoever and they will ALWAYS side with the member. "You don't want to fulfill your contract, fine Merritt will give you a refund and then have the manager (you) call the member back to apologize for being "out of line"." Complete disrespect for the managers!

2. Compensation. The staff is rewarded with more responsibility instead of money. Now, I must say that this is not always a bad thing, especially if you are looking to grow. But once you have reached the management level you will not make any more money. They took away bonuses (no idea why) and that then hurt the managers because we would give the bonuses to our staff as their recognition. Front desk will get a gift card for whoever sold the most smoothies that month, or had the most members praise them. Whatever the case was, now we have to reach into our own pocket (the little salary you get) and buy a gift card for your staff OR get rid of it all together (less drive from your front line)

3. Need to research what you are investing your money in. Merritt does way to many "rifle shots" that everyone knows is going to fail and will dump a boat load of money into it.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop putting people on the "black list" for speaking their mind. LISTEN to what they have to say, it might just change the way the employees work. After you LISTEN, you have to DELIVER! Too many times we have had meeting of "what can we do better for our staff" and nothing gets done. Fix the issues in all of the "higher end executives" and some middle level management. This include Department heads all the way to the CEO and then you wont get so much turn over.

Not the best but not the worst

Manager (Former Employee)

Pros-Some great coworkers
    -Friendly members
    Core values are amiable but fall short in upper management example.

Cons-Poor corporate organization
    -Poor strategic planing ensuring company success

Merritt strives to be a 5-star facility and some of their locations are close to that. However with 10 locations they fail to manage clubs according to their market demographic. Often they take shots in the dark without proper planning, requiring the employees to guess and navigate in charted territory or facility new products with little training or testing.

Company culture is challenging. There is a inner circle and lots of motivational rhetoric but little effective recognition of quality employees. Merritt attracts some talent but will often lose very key players to competitors because of demanding work and lack of competitive salary. Managers of most departments make between 29k-40k even for those that have been there 8+ years. If you are looking for good experience this may be the place for you, but if you are a high level player you will move on.

Advice to Senior ManagementResearch before you implement new practices.
    Manage each club individually, what works in one locations may not be good for another locations members.
    Recognize key talent and reward them...not only with more responsibility and opportunity but with compensation as well.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Depends on what kind of money you need to be making

ProsAwesome team of people to work with. Free gym membership and classes. Makes you want to be a healthier person just by working there.

ConsVery very low pay. I worked at the front desk and in my 2 years there I got a 10 cent raise making my pay a grand total of $8.10 per hour. Shifts were short so it was incredibly hard to ever get a "good" paycheck. Having a closing shift and then opening the next day is very tough if you do not do so well on no sleep. They close at 10 so after clean up and counting money you get out of there at 10:30 or later and then have to be back by 5am to open. Good news is they have coffee there. Bad news is you are the one making the coffee so if you drink a lot of it you have to make a lot of it because the members will start hitting the counter when the coffee is out. Also no room for advancement. I tried to move to sales after 2 years of working there and they would not allow it because I didn't not have enough sales experience although I knew everything about the company already. I left when I realized I will never get paid more than $8.10 an hour if I stayed there.

Advice to Senior ManagementNew management since I have worked there so I can't really judge but the changes that I have heard about seems like you are doing good for the business

Herding Cats

ProsThere are plenty of hard working, honest, and ethical employees. A free gym membership is a plus.

ConsThe company is disorganized and management isn't given the opportunity to manage. Communication is non-existent where members often know things before employees. Overworked and under paid.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit trying to reinvent the wheel. Let your managers lead. Don't implement software that's not finished, leaving employees to be the guinea pigs. Pay your employees more and give them a better work/life balance.

A frustrating place to work.

ProsThe people you will work with are good people, easy to talk to, caring, and kind.

ConsManagement might be full of good people but they can also be very disorganized. There are communication issues that make it difficult to complete a task. Particular goals and plans of action can be tough to discern.

Advice to Senior ManagementPick a plan, be clear about the direction, tell everyone what they're doing.

Hard work, no pay or appreciation

Lifestyle Consultant (Former Employee) Owings Mills, MD

ProsI really enjoyed my co-workers. You will work with a great group of people. The benefits are pretty good as well and include a free gym membership.

ConsUpper management pressures the club a lot without sitting down with club staff to discuss the problems or make changes. You will struggle to make more than $30000 if you're at an Express location. When the club is understaffed expect to work more than 40 hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe clubs have horrible turnover rates. You should work on how to retain employees. This might help the overall club morale.

Don't Bother

Membership, Sales (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsYou get to work out at work

ConsManagement is hypocritical, unprofessional and clueless. Too much work for nothing.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpathize with your employees. No one will respect a job where they don't receive respect.

Made no money and worked like a dog.

Membership, Sales (Former Employee)

ProsFree gym membership. Some really nice people do work there. Discount on goods at the pro shop, many of which are under armour.

ConsThe base salary is laughable and the commission structure makes it virtually impossible to earn a decent living.

You could do worse

Membership, Sales (Former Employee) Woodlawn, MD

ProsThe workplace is extremely flexible, the work is easy and the management are far from demanding, including the executive team. Benefits are decent and PTO is outstanding. You can wear gym clothes and sneakers to work.

ConsMediocrity is the norm so if you're a high level performer it can be frustrating to watch others be praised for being cheerleaders. There is almost no business training at the leadership level of this organization and there tends to be a lot of "copying" other competitors moves. The pay is really low and I'm not sure they are concerned with keeping people because the turnover is close to 50%. Naysayers beware, although the "cult"ure is supposed to breed open and honest communication, those who show disagreement are soon cast aside. The ethical standards of the executives are marginal and their personal behavior in and out of the workplace is more like a fraternity than a business. Also, the business model is odd, why would you operate bars and serve liquor at a gym? Seems counterproductive and true health and fitness advocates would have to agree it's a bad call.

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what you preach, send your leaders to business training, research acceptable pay for the area, stop showing the pretty girls favoritism.

Worked for Merritt Athletic Clubs? Contribute to the Community!