Merry Maids

Updated February 17, 2015
Updated February 17, 2015
2.2

Robert Gillette

Pros
  • lovely co-workers, not being stuck in an office (in 2 reviews)

• You constantly get to meet new people (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay is crap, they do nothing about wear and tear on the car u "must" have (in 5 reviews)

• gets you dinged and you earn even less pay (minimum wage for the whole week) (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Office Assistant

I worked at Merry Maids

Pros

Management was great for me and a pleasure to go in everyday.

Cons

Not much to hate on. I would say just washing towels everyday.

Hard work, ok pay

Current Employee - Maid in Cocoa, FL
    Current Employee - Maid in Cocoa, FL

I have been working at Merry Maids full-time (more than a year)

Pros

paid every Friday. Start early. Work as a team with 1 other person. Mileage reimbursement.

Cons

Picky customers. Dirty, gross, homes. Cleaning toilets, changing bed sheets. Sometimes get paired up with crappy partner (slow, incompetent)

merry maids

Current Employee - Service Consultant in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Service Consultant in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Merry Maids full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

nice folks, great customers, good orientation with reference to customers. good service. honest business.

Cons

money and job advancement are limited.

Terrible

Former Employee - Maid in New Braunfels, TX
    Former Employee - Maid in New Braunfels, TX

I worked at Merry Maids full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Mon-Fri work schedule , cleaning supplies are provided, work in teams of two.

Cons

Management is poor/Unorganized leadership
    Unfair and unjust treatment, kiss ups get far and do not get held to company standards.
    People who have been caught stealing do not get fired. (Usually because they are friends with the management)
    Customers can be rude, filthy, and inappropriate to maids and management will continue to send maids to their house.
    Although the equipment and cleaning supplies are provided for you most of it is broken down and doesn't function properly. Makes the company look bad.
    Schedule is supposed to be 8-5 yet management doesn't usually arrive until 8:30 (sometimes later) and schedules things after 5.pm.
    $0.35 is not enough per mile when gas cost what is is. It doesn't cover wear and tear on your vehicle.
    You cover the area from hays county to the San Antonio area, sometimes all in one day.
    Underbids houses to keep clients but then you lose in money, sometime you are making less than $4/hr.
    The office is not professional, lots of foul language and inappropriate topics
    Maids are unprofessional in peoples homes
    Lots of turn over in the maids and captains
    Maids get 10% of the customer is paying the company, captains 15%
    If you your team struggles to finish a house they will send a 3rd or fourth person and then you get payed 1/2 of what you were making on that house. Ex. If you were going to make $20 on a 4 hr house, you would get payed $10 for four hours of work.
    No Benefits
    No health care, no dental, no vision
    No pay raises, you cap at 15%
    No 401K

Train your maids and captains better, keep it professional in and outside of the office.
    Pay more money for mileage
    Bid higher on the cleaning, the girls work way too hard for the small amount you are paying them.

The most crooked and down low franchise I've ever worked for...

I worked at Merry Maids

Pros

1. Some of the sweetest, friendliest customers, miss them so.
    2. No nights, no (mandatory) weekends.
    3.Tipped often and well.
    4. Early days off sometimes.

Cons

This office I worked for got worse and worse as the days went by. I've read a lot of other comments here, and I wasn't at all surprised at what I've read, in fact it is all true. The worst was management. Nice one day, downright unbearable the next. Dishonest, disrespectful, discerning. You work hard only to be yelled at upon entering the office after a very hard day about a customer complaint. They never want to hear your side, only the customers, and they make you feel like a dog in the end.

The entire office is rude, mean, envious of one another and will stab you in the back the second you turn around. Constant gripes and nick-picking over the pettiest of things. Can't work with this person, why do I have to clean that house, it's not my regular house, etc.

Most employees acted more like 4th graders than women of adult age. Low pay, but high tempers. Broken equipment only to be replaced by broken equipment. They rob you of your lunch break. Time is money here, so getting hungry mid day is an extreme no no. They prefer you either ram a 7eleven hotdog down your throat while driving to your next house and keep on schedule, rather than sitting down, relaxing, refreshing for the rest of the day.

Compliments only really come straight from the customers themselves. If you're lucky, you'll get a pat on the back from the office every now and again. They love (however) to be the first to tell you that you have a complaint,
    Often right in front of other maids. Nothing was ever confidential, they would talk about any and everything with doors wide open, for all to hear. Your performance, your complaints, even if you had a doctor's appt. and needed time off, the whole office would know, and want to know why. Whatever you tell the manager, the rest of the office (and maids) would know before you're done talking about it.

Gossips ruled this office. He said, she said, they said. They loved hearing it, and spreading it. It often caused friction among the maids. Favortism ruled too. Harder workers were put on the back burner while kiss ups were praised with more hours, houses that tipped, preference on who they wanted to work with as partners, and much more. Weekly meetings were a joke. Nothing was ever really solved in meetings. Only more confusion and mixed emotions. Pay was even funnier. Seems the more you worked, the less you earned. You were lucky to see a check even close to $300, unless you were a driver. All the lies, theft from certain maids (who were allowed to keep working) favoritism, the constant gossip, envy, and complete lunacy of the staff at this particular office drove me outta there. I just couldn't take it anymore.

Take complete charge of your employees. Employees mimic what they see management do. If you're a poor manager, you'll have poor employees...and vice versa. Listen more, and argue less. Treat them as what they are, adults, not children. Act accordingly in public. Treat private manners with respect and confidentiality. Know when to laugh with your employees, and when to demand respect. No favorites, everyone is to be treated fairly, and on their own merits.

Salary and/or bonus?

Current Employee - Housekeeping in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Housekeeping in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Merry Maids full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Love cleaning anyone's place such as office and house. Enjoy helping each other with coworkers.

Cons

Allergic to smoking in some of houses. I sent my complaint about it.

Learned a lot. Loved my customers and employees.

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Greeley, CO
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Greeley, CO

I worked at Merry Maids

Pros

it was a office job that also allowed me to get out and interact with customers and do onsite employee training. I got a lot of time management and organization skills with this job.

Cons

loved everything about this job until the owner sold and the new owners were not motivated or equipped to run a business.

Housekeeper, good company to work for.

Current Employee - House Cleaner in Modesto, CA
    Current Employee - House Cleaner in Modesto, CA

I have been working at Merry Maids

Pros

It's a full time position and the company s like a family so that's nice.

Cons

low pay very hard work

Company that left a nasty taste in my mouth.

Former Employee - House Cleaner in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - House Cleaner in Columbus, OH

I worked at Merry Maids part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Might be better than being homeless and having to beg for cash.
    Some of the employees were easy to get along with.
    Some of the customers were nice.

Cons

I worked for Merry Maids for a few months, the following is my opinion of the time that I worked there. This is strictly my opinion or things that I have noticed. I was hoping to find a company that felt like a family and that had room for advancement. I was immediately lied to about the atmosphere and the pay. At times it felt like you were thrown back into high school with a lot of he said, she said and jealous behaviors. The hard workers seemed to be overlooked while the ones who cut corners were often given the best houses that tipped well. Thus causing newer employees to cut corners as well. Favoritism was always hard at work and it often felt like office staff verse working staff.

In my opinion, the pay was utterly ridiculous. They automatically took a good chunk out for their cut and the rest was for payroll with the people actually doing the work getting a very small percentage. Employees received a small stipend of what the customer actually paid. I felt the company cheated employees out of money any way they could. You got paid mileage for driving your own car but if you had to take a detour or got lost they would not reimburse you. They often knocked miles off if they felt that there were too many listed. If you weren't driving you got paid next to nothing and were basically working for next to nothing the majority of the time. When you come into the office to get ready for the day, while you are in your partner's car between houses and when you get back to the office to unload and prepare for the next day you make pennies. I calculated a few days from the time I got to the office til the time I got back where I only made $5-6 dollars an hour, since they only pay you in house hours. I would put $20 in my gas tank and in two days that would be gone and only I only about $8 reimbursed. Most of the customers think that you make a good chunk of the outrageous price they pay so they don't tip. If you worked as a third on a team you made a lot less. Sometimes I made $7 to clean a house. Their coverage area left some employees driving for nearly up to an hour or over 90 miles a day.

Teams were often switched or if they were low on work they would send people out as a team of three. This made it hard to keep up as each team seemed to work differently in both style and time. It didn't matter if two people worked together well or not. The only thing most of the employees had in common were complaints in regards to the job or other employees.

They cheat customers out of money. The houses were often overbid and normally it was the people who could barely afford the help. While the ones who could afford it were often underbid. For instance, one house might be a three bedroom two story house and would be bid for an hour and forty five minutes while the next might be a six bedroom with a finished basement and five bathrooms and be bid for an hour and thirty minutes. There was never a clear reasoning for the time bid. What was more ridiculous is that if we went under the bid time we would not get paid our full percentage, we would get paid for the time we were in the house, yet they charged the customer for the time they were bid for (Bid for an hour and a half, we would finish in an hour and ten, they would pay us for the hour and ten but charge the customer for the full hour and a half). However, if we went over out time we were not compensated for the overage.

We cleaned houses I felt we should have not been in. Bugs, mice feces, pet feces, fleas, medication laying around, perverts and so on. The company would turn their heads and tell us to continue to clean even if we felt uncomfortable.

Management let some customers and some employees have too much control. Big lack of marketing prevented any hope for further growth. Company did not provide benefits, even though you technically worked full time hours, since they only calculate in house hours. Management seemed to either ignore or not care about the issues within their structure and allowed bullying methods to take place. It is my belief that some of the office staff is the reason for the mid-high turn over rate. The personnel who sometimes did quality control checks would treat employees as if they were children. Some long term employees also took part in the bullying techniques.

It did not take me long to realize this company was not for me. It had a lot more downs than ups and I believe a lot of the aspects of this company should be reconsidered or revamped. I'm not even sure how some of the conduct that is used is not illegal. Again, this is my opinion. I would NOT recommend this company for employment.

~Better marketing. In this age of internet and social media marketing I was shocked that it was not being used to gain customers.
    ~Adjust bidding system for customer and employees benefits
    ~Provide vehicles to customers driving longer distances
    ~Listen to employees
    ~Better pay
    ~HONESTY

Not a great place to work

Former Employee - Cleaning Associate
    Former Employee - Cleaning Associate

I worked at Merry Maids

Pros

The co-workers and trainers were very nice and provided feedback in a nonabrasive manner. Customers were very pleasant to interact with.

Cons

Very disrespectful and poor internal communication within the company. I was terminated because the secretary who was in charge at the time (they'd been without a manager for some time) didn't like me as a person. No reason was given for the termination at the time of dismissal and the reason given later was "Your behavior after your termination is the reason you were terminated"--apparently I was fired so they could see what I would do after the fact.

Poor pay during the training period (only $9/hour).

Promoted by length of service rather than merit.

Merry Maids Photos