Merry Maids Reviews

Updated August 18, 2014
Updated August 18, 2014
2.5

Robert Gillette

Great family owned and operated business with learning opportunities and that can be used in all facets of business.

Current Employee - Operator  in  Peoria, IL
    Current Employee - Operator in Peoria, IL

I have been working at Merry Maids full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work and life balance is very equal. All employees love coming to work. All employees get training in client relations, sales, and mechanical engineering

Cons

There are not enough franchises.

Don't waste your time

Current Employee - Maid  in  Bedford, TX
    Current Employee - Maid in Bedford, TX

I have been working at Merry Maids full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Customers are great and get to see some beautiful homes

Cons

Very long hours...very little pay. If office staff likes you then you will make decent money but if you don't clean at least 4 or 5 houses a day (by yourself) then they treat you like dirt! Most days I went to work and 8am and didn't get home till after 7pm. Expect a lot of wear and tear on your car. Don't expect to get a lunch break unless you eat while you are driving....you don't get paid while you are in route in between houses. Customer complaints constantly pouring in because the level of quality is horrible... they push you to the max! I was constantly having to smooth things over with very upset customers cause they we lied to....they were promised the same person every time (rarely happens) They were promised a quality service with well trained staff (no formal training most of the time) were promised that they will be able to communicate with employees (they sent people that can't understand or speak English) Benefits were good if you could afford them. You do get paid vacation but not allowed to take time off in November or December yet office staff and Corporate employees can. Paid holidays? Yes they are paid cause they make you work on holidays! Gossip and favoritism was a common thing. Very poorly managed. Do yourself a favor...If you like cleaning houses then work for yourself...you can go at your own pace, do quality work, make triple the money and have time for yourself....I should know.

Take care of your employees and customers! You wouldn't have a job if it wasn't for them!

It's not just about cleaning.

Current Employee - House Cleaner  in  Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - House Cleaner in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Merry Maids full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice people, not micro-managed, weekly pay checks, flexible work environment, stable and reliable work, vacation benefits are nice, tips.

Cons

Hard work, very physical, must be detail oriented, must be able to complete schedule in proper time frame, driving from job to job can get old.

Make sure to take care of your employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worst job ever! Beware of this place

Former Employee - Cleaning Associate  in  El Cajon, CA
    Former Employee - Cleaning Associate in El Cajon, CA

I worked at Merry Maids full-time for less than a year

Pros

I wish I could say something good about this place. I'm sure other branches are better. It's not the company, it's management. They are all uneducated and have no clue about how to run a business

Cons

Everyone is bitter and unhappy. There is no support or guidance here

Worst job I ever had. The branch and service manager there are so dumb and uneducated. All they did was gossip and back stab everyone. I'm surprised they still have a job there

Management doesn't care

Former Employee - Team Member  in  Hopkins, MN
    Former Employee - Team Member in Hopkins, MN

I worked at Merry Maids full-time for more than a year

Pros

Being pretty fit after working there for a while due to the hard work. Easy job to get due to their desperation. Some people will tip you pretty well and are very nice.

Cons

The wages, the management and the drama. Some places you will have to clean should be condemned.

Care a little more about your employees that work so hard for you and don't promise wages the employee will never see upon hiring.

maximum output, minimum payout

Former Employee - Team Captain  in  Renton, WA
    Former Employee - Team Captain in Renton, WA

I worked at Merry Maids full-time for more than a year

Pros

you get paid per house you clean, so the more you can do in a day, the more you can make. meet lots of people, make friends with clients in their homes, and with your team mate.

Cons

very hard physical labor, they will burn you out, use you up, and ask for more. no opportunity for raises, or moving up in the company. They have a strange policy of not allowing office staff to be friends with the cleaners. manipulative training tactics....they reimburse you for mileage, they say its for "general wear and tear on your vehicle" but its pennies; meanwhile the miles keep racking up.

Be more appreciative to your employees (in the form of larger paychecks!!!) they bust their butts for your company, make the customers want to keep your service, and you don't give them much for their blood sweat and antiperspirant!!

Less than ethical cultural challenges.

Current Employee - Senior Management
    Current Employee - Senior Management

I have been working at Merry Maids full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Steady employment. Job security is there as long as you are happy with staying in the same positions for a very long time.

Cons

Not the most ethical company. Too many changes without notifying the workforce.

Stop trying to "one over" the compensation of middle management. Honoring commitments should be a priority.

I loved this company until I worked for the Huntsville AL office.

Former Employee - Supervisor, Trainer, Team Member  in  Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Supervisor, Trainer, Team Member in Huntsville, AL

I worked at Merry Maids full-time for more than a year

Pros

Paid holidays,and vacation after a year.Love the customers! I worked for Merry Maids in Colorado and Hawaii both were ran very well,management did a great job.When you care about your customers and workers it shows!

Cons

The con to Merry Maids is the Huntsville AL office,the owners are shady and only care about their bottom line.They send girls out to clean with little training,and don't drug test like they are required to.The houses are often under price and if your commission for the day is less than minimum wage they still only pay you the commission.They have had girls out as late as 10 pm! They often aren't honest about how much you can make and advancement within their office.They are quick to write you up if a customer complains but rarely give any praise.If you are a outstanding cleaner, your hard work with be rewarded with you going to fix all the houses the other workers mess up and the hardest customers to please will end up as yours.They don't treat their customers any better.They don't pay to fix things employee's damage, more than one customer has had to sue them.

I love working here

Current Employee - Housecleaner  in  Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Housecleaner in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Merry Maids full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I feel like Im at home every morning I come in to work. I look forward to having time with my coworkers in the mornings before we head out to clean. I never have any issues with getting time off if needed. They are really focused on making sure we have enough houses to earn a good living, but they also stress the importance of maintain our personal lives outside of work.

Cons

Sometimes the work load can be tiring both physically and mentally.

hire more people but make sure they are willing to handle their share of the work

Awful.

I worked at Merry Maids

Pros

They do offer paid time off after a year. Holidays are also paid after ninety days, but most companies offer this.

Cons

Long hours, pay not what promised. They use you untilvthey no longer need ypu then discard you like trash. The most unethical place i have ever worked. When you need to get off early for doctors appointments you are given a guilt trip. All they care about is the almighty dollar not the employee. One employee had a nervous breakdown from the stress of working here.

Merry Maids Photos

Merry Maids Team Member
Merry Maids Team Member
Customer and Salesperson

+ Add Photo

Worked for Merry Maids? Contribute to the Community!