Mesa Reviews

Bryan Raines

1. Senior Auditor

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Mesa full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The organization values its employees. It has excellent benefits. It works a 4 -10 schedule with every Friday off. Supervisors are well trained and supportive of their employees.

Cons

The 10 hour days take a while to get used to, If you have a long commute it will make for a long work day. Most home activities have to be pushed to Friday.

Advice to Management

Continue to support your employees and they will work hard for you. Thank you for having a good training plan for supervisors and employees so that they can reach their full potential.

2. Not the best

I have been working at Mesa full-time

Pros

4 day work week. Flexible work hours depends on department and manager. Great vacation and sick leave and benefits. Health center available to employees and family members covered on employee's insurance.

Cons

Political; nature of the beast. Too many that need to retire but stay on and do next to nothing. Once people make it past the probationary period it is nearly impossible to get rid of them. Too many hide behind just that.

3. Program Manager

I worked at Mesa

Pros

There was plenty of room for creativity and the atmosphere with my fellow employees was great, everyone was friendly and supportive. The flexibility was pretty good as well if anything came up it was easy to talk to my supervisor.

Cons

The salary is not that great for the amount of time and Planning that it took to be successful. I think having a little bit of a raise and some kind of benefits would be extremely beneficial.

Advice to Management

Provide better training when conducting orientation so that your employees can be equipped to do their very best in their job.

5. Clerical

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mesa, AZ

I worked at Mesa full-time

Pros

Four 10 hour day work week with Friday's off.

Cons

Depending who you work for, very controlling, non-trusting, non-equal treatment. Zero flexibility with little communication and training. Favoritism is abundant. Opinions and ideas are not solicited nor encouraged. Extreme micro-managed environment.

Advice to Management

Treat employees fairly and ethically with equal opportunities. The HR Dept is pro-management and unethical with regard to confidentiality and needs to understand that no matter the person’s title, situation, or length of service, ‘honesty and ethics’ applies to all, as does the accountability of such. Train managers to truly set the example by walking the talk relative to the City’s core values.

6. In hindsight, I wish I never left

Former Employee - Flight
    Former Employee - Flight

I worked at Mesa (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was able to see the world.

Cons

The pay is low....but my recruiter told me in advance.

7. Narcissist Culture

Current Employee - Finance in Mesa, AZ
    Current Employee - Finance in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at Mesa full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

4/10 work week and Health & Wellness Center

Cons

Lack of competent leaders. Nepotism is still allowed. Large organization still managed with 1950's philosophy. People not matched to position.

Advice to Management

Use Briggs Meyer test to match people to position. Stop bullying and narcissistic management.

8. Great place to work, flexible work schedule, 4 day work weeks the norm for most

Current Employee - Itd in Mesa, AZ
    Current Employee - Itd in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at Mesa

Pros

Four day work week, State retirement plan, good benefits, lots of interesting projects

Cons

Constrained budgets, moving away from a promote from within mentality, lots of outsourcing, very political environment, lack of training

Advice to Management

Better career path options and more support from promote from within efforts, smarter outsourcing, more training

9. Great people and atmosphere

Current Employee - Head Lifeguard in Mesa, AZ
    Current Employee - Head Lifeguard in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at Mesa part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Environment Good Base Pay Chance for Promotion - almost all in house Lots of fun

Cons

Aquatics administration chooses favorites Young staff can be immature Somewhat stressful at times

Advice to Management

Less bias in promotion and hiring process

10. Has its up's and down's

Former Employee - Accounting Specialist in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Accounting Specialist in Mesa, AZ

I worked at Mesa full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great hours, coworkers, and benefits.

Cons

Management. The only problem I ran into was regarding a promotion. After my supervisor's left, I was given the positions responsibilities, on top of my own. I asked about a raise many times but approval never came. Instead, it stayed on hold, and I was expected to overextend and be content with doing two jobs.

11. Small town mentality

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mesa, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at Mesa full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The City offers great health benefits and retirement.

Cons

At least for my job, I am expected to work 60+ hours a week, every week on salary and to just "be happy I have a job." Well, I am happy I have a job, but it would be nice if management showed a little more appreciation and respect for the work some of us put in. Promotional opportunities are practically non-existent. COLA's went away years ago. Raises were frozen for many years. It's hard not to get discouraged. Mesa is one of the largest cities in Arizona but is stuck in the past. It is extremely conservative, and not just because of the predominantly Mormon population. Any ideas that challenge the status quo are seen as threatening and objectionable. No wonder there are so many old people here and the downtown business are scratching their heads wondering how to attract a younger demographic and night life. The sidewalks roll up at 5pm and there is nothing to do here for those of us that are under 50 and don't want to go to bed at 8pm.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Some of the younger people have some really good ideas, but management tends to still do the same old things or only listen to tenured employees who have been here forever. Sometimes new ideas work!

RSS Feed </> Embed