Mesirow Financial

Richard S. Price

Benefits Department

Benefits Associate (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsPromoted quickly
    Great work and life balance
    Excellent Senior Manager
    All the employees work really hard and are easy to get along with. I can tell people who have been at the company for a while are dissatisfied.

ConsCompensation is not great. I feel like there is a ceiling as to how far you can make it in the company. Hopefully more growth to give employees a chance to advance.

Before nepotism became the overriding cultural foundation of this privately owned company, it wasn't half bad.

Administrative (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe office space is great, there is a cafe on-site, and there are Metro shuttle buses available. The building is located in a nice area.

ConsIn addition to the horrible nepotism, the President and management leadership doesn't seem to have the ability to move the company culture forward past the 1980s.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a CFO that actually understands they shouldn't have as much power as the current one is given.

Moving on

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsLocation, co-workers, new office building, good work/life balance, a lot of charitable giving, decent health benefits and time off. Used to be a great place to work and I learned a lot from my immediate supervisor and co workers.

ConsExecutive management and senior department managers in some groups really don't care about developing the people they manage. Be careful if you work in Facilities, HR, or IT. I was told the IT manager works his IT people to death and you get no overtime, comp time, or any other compensation. Just a pat on the back. The company has gone through a lot of changes since Jim Tyree died but there seems to be a lot more organization problems. The company is top heavy, meaning too many Vice Presidents, Senior Vice Presidents, and managing directors. Wait a few years to see if they can get it together then see if this would be a good fit for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet it together if you want to remain a respected company and one people want to work for again.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hard work rewarded

ProsSmart, enterprising, and loyal employees are rewarded with good bonuses

ConsLittle too much nepotism. Need to focus more on promising new markets created by innovations in technology.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep abreast of latest innovations in technology so you can insulate yourself from potential disruptions to your traditional lines of business.

The PRICE is NOT Right !

Fixed Income Settlement Supervisor (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsMost Co-Workers where nice and easy to get along with. Work loaded and family life is a good balance. My Supervisor was great, but that's where it ended.

ConsRichard Price will run it into the ground. He talks about creating jobs out of one side of his mouth and lays off whole departments out of the other side. He and Senior Management only care about padding their own pockets.

Advice to Senior ManagementMesirow should think about cleaning house, starting with Price and working their way down. Jim Tyree must be turning in his grave, seeing the way Price and has run this company down. What a shame!!!

Needs new leadership

Staff Accountant (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGood salary and benefits. Great location

ConsManagement is very unfair to staff in some departements. Some who are not competent are allowed to stay for years and years if they are liked. Lots more turnover and terminations than other companies the same size.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees one on one sometimes not in group settings where people are araid to tell the truth

Neutral

Analyst (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsDepending on the group, you can either have a great experience or quite bad. In general people are nice, company has decent benefits

ConsBonuses are small. Limited career growth.

Unpleasant experience

Managing Director (Former Employee)

ProsThe objective commission based pay was a plus and given as such work hours were flexible. Great flexibility in ones ability to manage ones investment portfolio.

ConsWorking here was not a good experience. I found the firm to be disorganized. Would not recommend to prospective candidates.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Needs some improvement......

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsIf you are able to be placed in a well run department or team, this company can be a dream opportunity.

Great office location for commuting from anywhere in the city or burbs.

Wonderful facilities in the main downtown building.

ConsI loved this company prior to Jim Tyree's death....since that time I feel that the company has been too eager to 'cut the fat' but is discarding the wrong employees.

Nepotism is extreme.

Can be VERY slow to change policy.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is quite obvious that the shareholders are out for themselves, be mindful that it takes more than one individual to accomplish any task.

Fantastic

Senior BC Specialist (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat culture, great people and fantastic environment

ConsNo negative feedback regarding the organization

Worked for Mesirow Financial? Contribute to the Community!