Meso Scale Discovery

Updated August 16, 2014
Updated August 16, 2014
1.7

Jacob Wohlstadter

Good if you need a job, bad if you're looking for anything more.

I have been working at Meso Scale Discovery full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Co-workers are fun for the most part, flexible schedule is nice as well.

Cons

Unrewarding. Bad management overall. Awful HR. Let's good workers leave, while it keeps the ones that constantly screw up and just want to collect a paycheck. Company continuously gives false hopes of raises and promotions depending on what department you are in. The hierarchy doesn't make much sense near the bottom, we have supervisors that are listed as lead techs and Manager's that are listed as supervisor's. While open positions for the underlings exist, no one has able to achieve them. This place was initially a great place to work, I REALLY liked going actually, and now the place has no life left.

Try to take more care of your employees and keep a better eye on things. A little micromanagement is not always bad. There are a few people that go above and beyond for their jobs and are not recognized for it. It's easy to replace a position, but it's hard to replace good employees, accurate employees, employee's that have the will to work.

stay away

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Meso Scale Discovery full-time

Pros

The technology is good.
    But not ground breaking.

Cons

This is not a good company to work for.

Sell

Good first job

I have been working at Meso Scale Discovery for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of work for too less; Overworked sometimes means you can learn a lot more. This is a good learning ground for you to lay your foundation. Suck it up and work till you learn a lot and then try and find a better job.
    Great people to work with; somewhat OK managers- and I guess upper management is slowly changing to keep the employees just about happy.

Cons

Less pay for too much work. Hard to get promoted even if you deserve it unless your manager speaks up for you. Diplomatic management sometimes make you feel unappreciated.

Pay competitively and learn to recognize talent.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Was a good starting job because they pay more... however...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Gaithersburg, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gaithersburg, MD

I worked at Meso Scale Discovery full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The people are very friendly and fun to work with. Management is somewhat lenient which is nice. However, they might be too nice that it causes people to abuse their leniency.

Good pay for entry level technicians/associates. However, dont expect any good raises every year. They are a joke.

Technology is one of a kind and promising. It's a pretty stable company and should be doing well for a couple more years until a new techology comes.

Cons

Absolutely no room to move up. People are promoted based on their seniority or how much you kiss up to the superiors and not by how efficient and good your work ethic is.

Supervisors believe in micromanaging which is annoying considering that some techs are more knowledgeable and capable than the supervisors. Supervisors and upper management have no idea what's going on in the cleanroom/lab.

Technician's work moral is at an all time low. Techs are overworked and underappreciated. A lot of problems within the work environment are either temporarily fixed or worst, swept under the rug instead of solving the problem.

Hard to move from one department to another. No support from managers and supervisors. If anything, they'll try to do anything to keep you from transfering to another department. You have to do it behind their backs.

People who SHOULD be fired because they are not team players, causes a lot of crucial mistakes at work, always late or 'sick', lazy or have awful work ethics are still working and will never be fired. Managers find it a hassle to let someone go so they just either withstand the worker or they keep relocating (dumping) them to another department to deal with.

And if you're thinking of getting educational assistance, forget it. You will be denied immediately. Unless you're someone whos trying to do a PHD or a post PHD, youre are not getting any assistance.

Value and reward (keyword: promote) those workers who are hardworking and have excellent work ethics. If they don't live up to the standard of an excellent worker, fire them. There is no need to waste money on people that won't be assets to the company.

Management needs to take workshops and further training/ further education.

Company can't get out of its own way. If they went public most of management would be canned.

I worked at Meso Scale Discovery full-time

Pros

Good solid technology and high paying salary but that's about it.

Cons

If you want to experience micro management then this is the place for you. There is no trust by upper management to allow employees to do their jobs or be creative with alternative sales ideas. Management does not want to listen to what employees are saying that customers are saying about MSD. There is a culture of arrogance that starts at the top and works its way down. You could be so much more MSD and gain so much more market share if you just got out of your own way and listened to your customers instead of treating them like they are beneath you. That is why Luminex is double the revenue you are - they listen to their customers and work with them in times of financial hardship because they see the long-term consumable business not just the initial hit on the instrument price. Yes, MSD has great technology and assays but the competition is making great strides and catching up. Perhaps the owners aren't that concerned with being a global leader in proteomics analysis. They talk like they want to be but their actions speak differently. Middle management takes its que from their bosses and does an excellent job of micromanaging. I felt I was doing more to please them than the customer.

Trust those that you hired. Allow us to do our jobs and sit back and enjoy the ride. We will make money for you if you let us do our jobs and meet the customers needs. Also, your customers are pretty smart...listen to them and what they are telling you. The head of product development should not be that arrogant and distrusting of what customers are saying about your product. Again, you have a great product but sometimes it doesn't work and when your customers tell you it doesn't work don't belittle them by thinking they don't know what they're doing. You will, and have, lose business that way.

Stay away, you will regret it!

I worked at Meso Scale Discovery full-time

Pros

There are no pros of working at MSD other than the high salary.

Cons

It was a complete nightmare in my professional career as well as my personal life. At MSD all employees feel frustrated 100% of the time, all decisions have to go through the owner, even the smallest one, department managers have no authority whatsoever, and they feel as frustrated as you will if you accept your offer.

It is like going back to being a kid, they will check on your every move like if you were at school, no one trusts anyone and that comes from the top down, you get a budget approved, and then need to seek approval three or four more times in order to get a project moving; so the simplest project could take several weeks, even months or sometimes years. They will hire you but will not trust you at all so you will not be able to use all your experience and knowledge since they don't let you bring any value to the company. They don't accept new ideas, and don't like to change anything about their ridiculous way of doing business. They are paranoid about legal issues, being sued and having someone still their information so they are crazy about filling out legal paperwork for everything and everyone.

The company culture is based on disrespect, for example the CEO doesn't show up to meetings or shows up several hours late every week to his meetings without letting people know in advance so his subordinates wait for him for hours like if he is a god. Mostly everyone replicate this disrespect among peers since that is the example the company breathes daily. There are a few regular suspects that have high hierarchy from going to college with the owner and they feel entitle to treat everyone else like if those were inferior. Screaming to regular employees is common at MSD. There is an immense level of agression and mostly everyone is rude to one another. I was treated like if I was a recent college graduate, with no respect, unprofessionally, cruelly.

I had read these reviews and still accepted the offer thinking it couldn't be that bad. Guess what, it is literately unbelievable how this company is run and people put up with this nasty environment. For your own sanity, stay away, don't get tempted by the high salary, you will regret it!

A really bad environment to work

Current Employee - Research Associate II
    Current Employee - Research Associate II

I have been working at Meso Scale Discovery full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nothing worth mentioning here.

Cons

To start with the company does not have any training policy. People get switched from one department to another and are expected to perform from the first day without any training whatsoever. The work culture is very stressful and people leave the job because the so called "Senior Scientist's" just pass on the incredibly unrealistic deadlines to the Research Associates. The interesting part here is they give a feeling that they are empowering people by telling that we would like you to take complete ownership of your projects but the fact is that you are not allowed to take any major decisions but just slog out 12-14 hours a day running assays. If all they need is pair of hands to run the experiment, they could get a set of robots. People are let go quite often and it brings a sense of fear among fellow employees and MSD uses this fear as a leverage to make employers work crazy hours. In spite of the bad economy and difficulty in finding jobs, I humbly request people to stay away from this company. You will definitely find a better place to work elsewhere. The compensation is the lower end compared to the other companies in the area

Please empower your Research Associates. They are the core working group of the company. Do not treat them as just a pair of hands. Putting them on probation will not bring the best out of them.

exciting and challenging work environment, promising future

I have been working at Meso Scale Discovery

Pros

It's a comfort that the company is doing well and is financially stable. This is encouraging considering the local biotech’s which constantly lay-off, have closed, or relocated. Meso Scale is experiencing significant growth and has new properties to expand the production, manufacturing, and lab spaces over the next few years. The people I work with are brilliant and very committed to their work. I think it is a stimulating time to be here and help the company put products in the market that positively impact science and health. For anyone that wants to stay inside the box or is not ready to overcome challenges in research, discovery, processes, growth, etc will not fit in. Those that are prepared to contribute, work hard, provide solutions, and think outside the box would fit into the dynamic work environment here.

Cons

The benefits are pretty good, but the vacation time could be much better.

As the company grows, trust, collaboration, and being open to positive changes will be key.

Craptastic Place To Work

I have been working at Meso Scale Discovery

Pros

The only benefit to working here was the fact that I am now able to appreciate what it feels like to work in a company where someone gives a sh*t about the employees! Some people in my current job complain and I chuckle because they have no idea what it's like to work for the worst company in the world

Cons

I hated myself every day of my life when I worked here. It's pretty much why I no longer have a soul.

Go public or go home.

Unconcerned about Employees

I have been working at Meso Scale Discovery full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Most of the people here are friendly.

Cons

Long hours with no benefits, Micro-managed to the max, buidling is insect infested, no employee recognition, low ball you in pay, no room for growth, not allowed to use your brain for new and fresh ideas. Act as if they are offering you god pay when they offer at the low end of the payscale. If you leave the company, you're less than likely to receive a counter-offer. If you do stay, you will be given more to top your plate off and if no producing...fired a year after.

Listen to your employees. They do have minds and ideas. Stop treating them as if they are beneath you.

Worked for Meso Scale Discovery? Contribute to the Community!