Meso Scale Discovery

Add Photos

Jacob Wohlstadter

stay away

Sales (Current Employee)

ProsThe technology is good.
    But not ground breaking.

ConsThis is not a good company to work for.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell

Good first job

ProsLots of work for too less; Overworked sometimes means you can learn a lot more. This is a good learning ground for you to lay your foundation. Suck it up and work till you learn a lot and then try and find a better job.
    Great people to work with; somewhat OK managers- and I guess upper management is slowly changing to keep the employees just about happy.

ConsLess pay for too much work. Hard to get promoted even if you deserve it unless your manager speaks up for you. Diplomatic management sometimes make you feel unappreciated.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay competitively and learn to recognize talent.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

A really bad environment to work

Research Associate II (Current Employee)

ProsNothing worth mentioning here.

ConsTo start with the company does not have any training policy. People get switched from one department to another and are expected to perform from the first day without any training whatsoever. The work culture is very stressful and people leave the job because the so called "Senior Scientist's" just pass on the incredibly unrealistic deadlines to the Research Associates. The interesting part here is they give a feeling that they are empowering people by telling that we would like you to take complete ownership of your projects but the fact is that you are not allowed to take any major decisions but just slog out 12-14 hours a day running assays. If all they need is pair of hands to run the experiment, they could get a set of robots. People are let go quite often and it brings a sense of fear among fellow employees and MSD uses this fear as a leverage to make employers work crazy hours. In spite of the bad economy and difficulty in finding jobs, I humbly request people to stay away from this company. You will definitely find a better place to work elsewhere. The compensation is the lower end compared to the other companies in the area

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease empower your Research Associates. They are the core working group of the company. Do not treat them as just a pair of hands. Putting them on probation will not bring the best out of them.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

exciting and challenging work environment, promising future

ProsIt's a comfort that the company is doing well and is financially stable. This is encouraging considering the local biotech’s which constantly lay-off, have closed, or relocated. Meso Scale is experiencing significant growth and has new properties to expand the production, manufacturing, and lab spaces over the next few years. The people I work with are brilliant and very committed to their work. I think it is a stimulating time to be here and help the company put products in the market that positively impact science and health. For anyone that wants to stay inside the box or is not ready to overcome challenges in research, discovery, processes, growth, etc will not fit in. Those that are prepared to contribute, work hard, provide solutions, and think outside the box would fit into the dynamic work environment here.

ConsThe benefits are pretty good, but the vacation time could be much better.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs the company grows, trust, collaboration, and being open to positive changes will be key.

Stay away

Research Associate (Current Employee) Gaithersburg, MD

ProsPros- None worth mentioning here.

ConsToo many to list here

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease learn to respect and stop micro- managing

Craptastic Place To Work

ProsThe only benefit to working here was the fact that I am now able to appreciate what it feels like to work in a company where someone gives a sh*t about the employees! Some people in my current job complain and I chuckle because they have no idea what it's like to work for the worst company in the world

ConsI hated myself every day of my life when I worked here. It's pretty much why I no longer have a soul.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo public or go home.

Unconcerned about Employees

ProsMost of the people here are friendly.

ConsLong hours with no benefits, Micro-managed to the max, buidling is insect infested, no employee recognition, low ball you in pay, no room for growth, not allowed to use your brain for new and fresh ideas. Act as if they are offering you god pay when they offer at the low end of the payscale. If you leave the company, you're less than likely to receive a counter-offer. If you do stay, you will be given more to top your plate off and if no producing...fired a year after.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. They do have minds and ideas. Stop treating them as if they are beneath you.

A privately owned company on the up and up

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt was a great chance to work for a small company that was in the process of growing. A lot of great competent people there.

ConsI eventually left because I wanted a career change but I really had not complaints about the place.

Would not recommend this company even to my worst enemies....

Account Manager (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsTechnology is decent but it is inhibited in many ways by the close minded and arrogant management style of the company.

ConsContinually demeaned and degraded and treated unprofessionally. The work atmosphere is hostile at a minimum and fear is used as a tool of motivation. Management is more interested in insulting customer than growing the business. If I could give zero stars, I would.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeave the company or take MSD public (where there will be some corporate governance)

THE worst company I have ever worked for IN MY LIFE

Research Associate II (Current Employee) Gaithersburg, MD

ProsCo-workers are friendly b/c we all commiserate with how awful our jobs are

ConsMicro-management, low pay, long hours, NO recognition, NO respect, NO ability to use your brain, NO resources, COCKROACH INFESTED BUILDING, NO room for growth, CONSTANT belittling from management of all levels

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house up top. We've been stagnant profit wise for YEARS and it's because of the antiquated vision of 2-3 people who refuse to accept any modicum of advice/ingenuity from others

Worked for Meso Scale Discovery? Contribute to the Community!