Message Systems Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.5
Phillip Merrick

A disciplined and motivated group

I have been working at Message Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been in the workforce for almost 20 years now; I've worked for a number of companies, big and small. Message Systems has been one of the best work experiences I've had not only in recent memory, but over the span of my career. A few of the highlights: it's hard to find a company where most everyone is marching to the beat of the same drum. There are disputes and arguments, we're human, not cyborg, but for the most part it's a singular vision that keeps us aligned and focused. There's very little ego, it exists but it isn't the norm, rather the exception and minimal at that. The company is chalk full of industry experts that are enthusiastic about the space, eager to make the world, our industry and the company a better place by being gracious with their knowledge and time. Message Systems is on the cutting edge of email and messaging technology; the world's biggest senders use some flavor of Message Systems to power their email. The Leadership team is infinitely approachable and will listen to the wildest of ideas without judgement. Decisions are not made in a vacuum nor are they the result of knee jerk reactions. Basically, this team approaches the job of sending the world's email enthusiastically, collaboratively and professionally which makes coming to work a rare pleasure.

Cons

There's a lot of work to be done. In some ways being in a small market with a very finite set of competitors means there's pressure to succeed. The company could use more engineers to move the job of innovation forward faster. Additionally there are some skill set holes that need to be filled which are still missing. As with most successful companies, there's lots of work to be done and not enough hands to till the soil.

Transition to SaaS Provides a Great Opportunity

Current Employee - California in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - California in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Message Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you like a startup oriented environment but also like solid financial stability, this is a great place. Customer list - MS has the who's who of large emailers as customers and the #1 position in on-premises email platforms. You get to meet them all. New SparkPost cloud version of the product is taking off with customers - Pinterest/Zillow both signed on. Big investments being made in marketing/engineering/tech ops of SparkPost. Culture is awesome - smart, nice, trustworthy people. More recently started to part ways with people who were no longer a fit to clear the way for new SaaS talent and thinking. This is refreshing. Opportunity - this company has had a lot of hiring over the last two years. Its much larger than when I joined. People promoted, switching jobs etc.. Not stagnant.

Cons

Because the company is in transition to a SaaS model, it's very busy right now. We work pretty hard.

Advice to Management

Keep the transition to SaaS going... It's working. The company will have a major position in the industry.

Amazing place to work, fantastic vibe

I have been working at Message Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked here for a few years, and the way the company has transformed from an enterprise software business into a fast-moving cloud company is just incredible. The decisiveness of the direction and collaboration amongst the teams is amazing, easily the best of anyplace I've ever worked. The executives are all very approachable, and while they ask a lot it's easy to be "all in" when everybody is all pulling in the same direction. Turnover is next to nothing, it's very nice to come to work every day and know that everybody at the company is in it to make us ultimately successful.

Cons

As it's clear from the pros, I really enjoy coming to work every day. The Maryland office is in kind of an inconvenient location, but the company has always been there and frankly I have a lot of respect for a company that appreciates the challenges of recruiting in a suburb, but doesn't want to move its office significantly, which would severely inconvenience the people who are already employed there.

Advice to Management

Stay focused, continue to be clear about the overall direction, and keep the foot on the gas.

Countless opportunities to grow yourself, the product, and direct of messaging

I have been working at Message Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Innovative, fun, and flexible. The direction Message Systems has been pointed over the last couple of years really gives employees the opportunity to make a huge impact with new products in a competitive market. Most management positions are promoted from within and there's a huge focus on developing individuals for the roles they're interested in (though sometimes people need to be reminded to advocate for themselves).

Cons

A major shift to being Cloud First has occurred over the last year and a half and it's gone really well. Transitions like this can be hard for people who are comfortable in the old paradigm, but it's definitely worth jumping in and joining the awesome direction we're headed

Advice to Management

Keep going! The culture, focus, and vision is stronger now then ever!

anonymous

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I worked at Message Systems (More than a year)

Pros

good technical people. CEO smart

Cons

not trusting of employees. Marketing not aggressive or good.

Current Leadership Team Member with a Contrasting View...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Message Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

• Best high performance/high security MTA on the market and with the acquisition of P25 can dominate the market and ready MSYS for an equity play. • Name brand customers who keep buying. • HQ and employees encouraged to bring home-brew beer to share, great coffee machines and free lunch Thursdays. • Your experience will vary by department. There are a few conscientious managers that respectfully balance people and corporate needs/requirements. Most do not stay for various reasons.

Cons

• Use caution reading MSYS reviews in this forum. Reason, like many company’s engaged in reputation-revisionism the executive team periodically launches internal opposition eradication SPAM-like campaigns and post positive comments in Glassdoor to eclipse negative comments. They have learned to flood the system like their SPAM (High Volume Senders) customers. • Personally, I know 5 executives including myself seriously looking for new positions. Recognizing that I am risking cross-corporate credibility by speaking out albeit anonymously, I will be moving on soon but want to convey thoughts before they evolve to a post-MSYS perspective. • Product Management runs the company and they continue to make product market decisions without the council/direction from a serious market assessment. This is evidenced by failed attempts to bolt-on a Mobile (Push/SMS) version and the current iteration of a SaaS version.

Advice to Management

Hire a 3rd party to perform an truly anonymous employee feedback assessment and deliver this assessment to the Board of Directors with the action of the board taking action.

Be careful when considering this company.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

Pros

Decent pay and good benefits. Semi-casual work culture. Interesting but not cutting-edge products to work on. New CEO has external focus (plus and negative)

Cons

Politics are super thick, dirty and have most running scared. Every week or two a key contributor either resigns or is fired. The 2 most customer/process-focused Sales VPs were fired on the same day leaving customer satisfaction managed by a fire-drill mentality and a customer-unfriendly support team. Information hoarding, poor info-sharing tools and training is a luxury. For your sanity, I recommend being VERY careful when considering this company.

Advice to Management

Don’t reach out to employees to gather their input, and then use the feedback as their punishment. You are not trusted.

Great Place to Work For

Current Employee - Support Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Support Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Message Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Challenging work, great people to work with, fairly flexible hours

Cons

Culture is uninspiring, veteran coworkers are burnt out and training is difficult to acquire. Very steep learning curve.

Advice to Management

Don't forget the little guys.

Good company which seems to be going in the right direction

I have been working at Message Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been here about a year and things seem to be moving in the right direction, expanding product line and growing quite fast.

Cons

You need to be flexible; priorities change pretty quickly. The office is an open/collaborative workspace but most people have their headphones on and communicate primarily over Slack.

Advice to Management

Focus on short term goals, balance department goals with company goals.

Great company

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Message Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good momentum, good new leadership, bright horizons

Cons

Some may not be worthy of promotions

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

RSS Feed </> Embed