Message Systems

www.messagesystems.com

Message Systems Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014

George Schlossnagle

Challenging, fast-paced work environment, with great work-life balance, and opportunities to make your mark

ProsHeavy focus on finding the right people that can tackle the job as well as work well within the culture of the teams. Many opportunities to prove yourself and take a leading role on critical challenges facing our customers. Some of the smartest minds in the industry, shockingly without the ego that normally accompanies such people. If you're looking for a place to prove and stretch your abilities, make a difference in the success of the company and the customers, while at the same time genuinely enjoying your co-workers, this is the place for you.

ConsNormal challenges with siloing between business units -but a great deal of emphasis has been placed on breaking down those barriers, and improvements are noticeable and continue to change.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue focusing on the things that matter to our customers and the market. Positive steps to strip out cumbersome layers/processes are awesome and appreciated.

your experience will vary greatly by department

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosreasonable hours - 9-5
    easy commute - many work from home
    nice colleagues - the people that get hired are stronger than those that hire them

Consno growth opportunity - flat org
    terrible pay - at least 25% under industry avgs
    mixed mgmt - some strong, some not

Advice to Senior Managementretain your talent (pay them, grow them)

Great colleagues - new process every day

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Columbia, MD

ProsThe people that work at Message Systems are smart and fun to work with.
    The dress code is very casual.
    There is something new to learn every day.

ConsConstant churn of colleagues, process, priorities.
    No real training. The product is very complicated and most of it must be learned on your own.
    The deadlines are ridiculous. While taken individually they might make sense, from a holistic view point they are unobtainable.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out what is most important and get that done first.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Foundation... Starting to Lose Its Charm

ProsFlexible hours
    Casual dress code
    Excellent benefits (401k, health, time off, etc.)
    Competent, likable co-workers
    Makes every effort to supply resources needed to get work done
    Most top-level management is highly accessible and competent
    Opportunities to take on side projects to improve products

ConsSalespeople get disproportionately more recognition and support than anyone else
    Inconsistent policies and messaging
    Growing number of mandatory meetings and tasks that have nothing to do with actual work
    Open office layouts are disruptive and counter-productive

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company's tiered organizational chart is turning upside-down. The surge in leadership hiring from outside the company has alienated several long-time employees, and slowed actual production. Combine it with recent layoffs of producer level staff, and the company is losing agility.

The recent (last year or so) emphasis on sales over engineering and production is definitely the wrong direction.

Solid Employer with lots of growth opportunity

ProsRelaxed work environment, stocked kitchen, Thursday lunches, fair compensation, above average 401k and PTO.

SMART folks all around you, all willing to help contribute to your learning and success when needed. The knowledge and experience pool is quite deep.

Potential exists to move up/on as you so desire on the tech/engineering side. Though finding and cultivating those opportunities will certainly take time and somewhat significant effort.

ConsHigh turnover, specifically in the engineering/QA departments hampers knowledge/experience continuity and flow.

Past super-aggressive release schedule has burned some clients. This has eased considerably, though it hasn't been forgotten entirely.

Open floor office designed to stimulate collaboration, in reality stifles it and actually can create strife between some groups. Just an example of one of those office buzzwords that seem like a great idea on paper.

The on-boarding training process, while it has improved in recent months, is still fairly lacking.

Stay Away!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsNice people. Pays BART commuting costs.

ConsMarketing weak. Poor advertising. Clients leaving. CRO not good manager. Keeps changing message. Competitors better priced and better product. Message Systems too expensive for what you get!

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees like adults. Don't talk out of two sides of mouth.

A great place to challenge yourself

Director (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsThere is a huge concentration of brilliant people in one place.
    Everyone is willing to listen and explore new ideas.
    Very few barriers between teams - lots of open communication.
    Easily accessible senior management with tangible goals.
    Office atmosphere is fun and open.

ConsBeing a mis-sized company is a double edged sword. There is flexibility to create new work, but sometimes not enough bodies to carry out the vision. Currently stuck somewhere between small startup and mid-sized multi national.

Ability to grow my skills with smart, enthusiastic people

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Columbia, MD

ProsI enjoy the people, the problems we solve, the relaxed work environment as well as the effort of management to make it a fun place to work.

ConsProcess churn, too many meetings, employee turnover

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a plan for retaining employees by offering regular stock options, compensation increases based on performance. Hearing everyones opinion and not always make decisions within a wmall group. Also, reduce the nu,ber of meetings held during a day.

Great Product, Great People

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsMessage Systems has an incredible team of very bright people making some awesome products. They take being customer focused very seriously, and that shows not only in their interactions with them but also in the nature of the products they create. Products which are inherently flexible so that the customer can make them fit their needs rather than forcing the customer to change their needs to fit the product. With the products they produce,

Management here is very accessible and truly open all the way to the top. There is a very real desire to make this a great place to work, and a real interest in hearing feedback from all levels of the company.

ConsMessageSystems is a growing company, and as such they are facing the challenges of all companies that eventually make that transition from spunky startup to serious business. This is particularly so when the top management is generally technical people. This is a subjective opinion, but I feel they have fallen at times into the usual traps of "everybody knows" business truths that seem to persist despite decades of research and evidence to the contrary - much of it seemingly coming as a result of outside input.

That said, it's a very minor con, because there is a sincere desire to figure out how to get through this transition and still be a great company on the other side. They want a culture of continuous improvement, and they are serious about actually measuring success. Everything is generally up for offering alternatives and improvement where data and measured improvement can be provided.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's not really necessary to put anything here, because if I have concerns I'm entirely confident raising those directly anywhere up my chain I wish. Not only does this company have an open door policy, they pretty much have a "no door" policy.

Freedom To Think

ProsMany years I have worked in this industry and the terms CTO and CIO have never meant anything other than "a person that managers technical directors". In this company, not only are C-level executives programmers but so are many of the Managers and Directors. Got a code or product question? Post it on the intranet and anyone from an Engineer to the CEO could reply (without the "you didn't know that?" attitude). Compassion for a true work-life balance, working with teams that I can learn from and assist new people during their onboarding, it all comes full circle here. Health care costs rose and the CEO deflected the cost for us. Many other mini-perks too, but the best is being part of the fastest growing technology that reaches people daily.

Have something you think may improve the product? Recommend it. Your idea may be rolled in to the next release. Thinking outside the box is a desirable trait.

I would recommend working here and more importantly, when people ask if I would recommend them for a job here, I think twice whether they would be a good fit. People here are that awesome.

ConsWith so many teams working very hard, getting together for cross-training is difficult. Enhance skills of current employees not only with external training, but internal cross-training.

Advice to Senior ManagementTravel policy should have more traveler input. Those that travel often should have more flexibility in where to stay and what/how it's reimbursed and also offer a small stipend for home office equipment. Bring remote employees into the office a couple of times a year to work with the rest of the teams to foster working relationships and knowledge sharing.

Worked for Message Systems? Contribute to the Community!