Messiah College Reviews

Kim S. Phipps

1. Student Employment within a Christian College

Former Employee - Student Employee in Mechanicsburg, PA
    Former Employee - Student Employee in Mechanicsburg, PA

I worked at Messiah College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I consider the positions I worked as a student employee to be beneficial, educational and a definite asset to my professional growth. Though considerably different, the people I worked with were great, knowledgeable, and very helpful. There was little pressure so long as you performed what you were hired to do but there was always opportunity to push beyond the confines of what you were hired to do. I always found someone willing to share their knowledge as free education to better myself.

Cons

Even within the confines of a Christian College, I encountered work place politics on campus from time to time but I can't say it was anywhere near to other places I've worked for in the past.

Advice to Management

No part of a motor is really wasted. All parts, whether the combustion chamber or the air filter, are all essential to making the engine work. In short, from the President of the campus to the Custodial staff, all are essential to providing a great learning environment and experience for the students. Keep up the good work.

2. My experience working at Messiah has been great!

Current Employee - Student Program Manager in Mechanicsburg, PA
    Current Employee - Student Program Manager in Mechanicsburg, PA

I have been working at Messiah College part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Messiah really does have a welcoming community where different viewpoints and strategies are encouraged. The environment produces strong leaders with heart and commitment to their jobs.

Cons

Sometimes, the Christian aspect can be difficult to deal with, even though I myself am a Christian. It's not always easy to navigate certain situations with co-workers, especially the more opinionated ones. However, they are so understanding and willing to help out if you have a personal/family issue that needs urgent attention.

Advice to Management

Have a little more fun! Everything doesn't have to be rigid and they are figuring this out I think.

A great place to work

I worked at Messiah College part-time

Pros

Almost everyone here is dedicated to the mission of the school and open to new ways of operating if you approach them as equals and with respect. A very supportive community with a great amount of resources.

Cons

The bureaucracy and stays quo can be frustrating to work against if not patient. The environment can be stifling if you are good at what you do and motivated to excel because many people will ask you to pick up different responsibilities.

union cafe

Current Employee - Cook in Mechanicsburg, PA
    Current Employee - Cook in Mechanicsburg, PA

I have been working at Messiah College part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

you can get a meal for free

Cons

it can get really busy

Advice to Management

make people on shift

6. Great place for students to work part time during the school year.

I worked at Messiah College

Pros

Other Employees are always awesome to work with. There are tons of opportunities to pick up jobs to fit any schedule.

Cons

No cons I can think of. This review is mostly for any students who aren't sure they can balance a job and school. I'm just saying that "yes, you can."

College

I have been working at Messiah College

Pros

Great school and friendly environment, amazing study abroad opportunities and cross cultural experiences.

Cons

Messiah College is somewhat limiting.

Lovely people, remote locale.

Former Employee - Executive Office Assistant in Grantham, PA
    Former Employee - Executive Office Assistant in Grantham, PA

I worked at Messiah College full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lovely people, competitive pay, compassionate supervisors and relaxed community.

Cons

Grantham is in the middle of NOWHERE.

9. Film Projectionist

I have been working at Messiah College

Pros

Boss is very easy to work with and doesn't micromanage the small work. As long as the work gets finished, everyone is happy.

Cons

Machines do not always work and the sound shuts off randomly. The systems are old and out of date, but they still provide a great movie theater experience for a cheap price.

Advice to Management

Include the lead projectionist in the screening process for hiring because he/she will know which people will work well together.

good place to work

I have been working at Messiah College

Pros

student oriented, engaged faculty, caring administration

Cons

too selective, too expensive for students, too limited in terms of diversity

Advice to Management

lower tuition, increase revenue streams (hybrid and online), increase staff, faculty, student diversity

Academically and mission-minded institution of Christian higher education.

I worked at Messiah College full-time

Pros

Messiah has very strong academics, a core curriculum that is guided by institutional principles, and dedicated educators. Excellent athletics and plentiful, diverse co-curricular opportunities to meet students varied interests. Very well developed educational programs that fuses faith and learning.

Cons

Because the school offers a broad spectrum of programming and opportunities for students, some employees make a bit of financial sacrifice in order to work in the positive environment that Messiah provides.

Advice to Management

Keep serving as a model school in the Northeast.

RSS Feed </> Embed