Messiah College Reviews

Kim S. Phipps

1. Great Experience

Current Contractor - Resident Assistant in Mechanicsburg, PA
    Current Contractor - Resident Assistant in Mechanicsburg, PA

I have been working at Messiah College as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Personally invested into, weekly one on one meetings with professional residence life staff
    Good leadership experience
    Housing stipend

Cons

Responsibilities can be very light or very heavy depending upon the week. Training and weekly duties can be boring and repetitive.

2. Student Employment within a Christian College

Former Employee - Student Employee in Mechanicsburg, PA
    Former Employee - Student Employee in Mechanicsburg, PA

I worked at Messiah College part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I consider the positions I worked as a student employee to be beneficial, educational and a definite asset to my professional growth. Though considerably different, the people I worked with were great, knowledgeable, and very helpful. There was little pressure so long as you performed what you were hired to do but there was always opportunity to push beyond the confines of what you were hired to do. I always found someone willing to share their knowledge as free education to better myself.

Cons

Even within the confines of a Christian College, I encountered work place politics on campus from time to time but I can't say it was anywhere near to other places I've worked for in the past.

No part of a motor is really wasted. All parts, whether the combustion chamber or the air filter, are all essential to making the engine work. In short, from the President of the campus to the Custodial staff, all are essential to providing a great learning environment and experience for the students. Keep up the good work.

3. My experience working at Messiah has been great!

Current Employee - Student Program Manager in Mechanicsburg, PA
    Current Employee - Student Program Manager in Mechanicsburg, PA

I have been working at Messiah College part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Messiah really does have a welcoming community where different viewpoints and strategies are encouraged. The environment produces strong leaders with heart and commitment to their jobs.

Cons

Sometimes, the Christian aspect can be difficult to deal with, even though I myself am a Christian. It's not always easy to navigate certain situations with co-workers, especially the more opinionated ones. However, they are so understanding and willing to help out if you have a personal/family issue that needs urgent attention.

Have a little more fun! Everything doesn't have to be rigid and they are figuring this out I think.

A great place to work

I worked at Messiah College part-time

Pros

Almost everyone here is dedicated to the mission of the school and open to new ways of operating if you approach them as equals and with respect. A very supportive community with a great amount of resources.

Cons

The bureaucracy and stays quo can be frustrating to work against if not patient. The environment can be stifling if you are good at what you do and motivated to excel because many people will ask you to pick up different responsibilities.

union cafe

Current Employee - Cook in Mechanicsburg, PA
    Current Employee - Cook in Mechanicsburg, PA

I have been working at Messiah College part-time (less than a year)

Pros

you can get a meal for free

Cons

it can get really busy

make people on shift

7. Great place for students to work part time during the school year.

I worked at Messiah College

Pros

Other Employees are always awesome to work with. There are tons of opportunities to pick up jobs to fit any schedule.

Cons

No cons I can think of. This review is mostly for any students who aren't sure they can balance a job and school. I'm just saying that "yes, you can."

College

I have been working at Messiah College

Pros

Great school and friendly environment, amazing study abroad opportunities and cross cultural experiences.

Cons

Messiah College is somewhat limiting.

Lovely people, remote locale.

Former Employee - Executive Office Assistant in Grantham, PA
    Former Employee - Executive Office Assistant in Grantham, PA

I worked at Messiah College full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Lovely people, competitive pay, compassionate supervisors and relaxed community.

Cons

Grantham is in the middle of NOWHERE.

10. Film Projectionist

I have been working at Messiah College

Pros

Boss is very easy to work with and doesn't micromanage the small work. As long as the work gets finished, everyone is happy.

Cons

Machines do not always work and the sound shuts off randomly. The systems are old and out of date, but they still provide a great movie theater experience for a cheap price.

Include the lead projectionist in the screening process for hiring because he/she will know which people will work well together.

good place to work

I have been working at Messiah College

Pros

student oriented, engaged faculty, caring administration

Cons

too selective, too expensive for students, too limited in terms of diversity

lower tuition, increase revenue streams (hybrid and online), increase staff, faculty, student diversity