MetLife

MetLife Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

MetLife President & CEO Steven A. Kandarian

Steven A. Kandarian

Pros
  • Flexible work arrangements and very good company for work life balance(in 103 reviews)

• MetLife has great benefits and different positions in different departments(in 74 reviews)

Cons
  • Lean work force, very aggressive timelines, work/life balance(in 20 reviews)

• Lack of visibility to senior management as to who is doing the actual job(in 33 reviews)

Heading for North Carolina!

Information Technology (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat benefits, matching 401k, medical, and dental. They do take care of the younger employees and encourage training, networking, and more.

ConsMoving to North Carolina. Executives do not know whats going on in their organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementExecutives are only worried about making their billion dollars of saving before jumping boat with their golden parachute. There are no considerations made for the future of the organization as they move thousands of employee to NC. Most of the core infrastructure/technology teams would be gone just to be replaced by those that just got out of Duke University.

Run! High turnover in managing director Leadership

Management (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsHealth insurance and employee benefits. Hourly staffs are hard workers.

ConsRecruiting staffs are not qualified enough to master hiring process in-house. In addition, pay raises are rare. There is always a change in executive vision at Corporate (NY); so filtering vision and mission down to DFW firm level results to zero directions and lack of support to Financial advisors to run their business. Financial products and life insurance products are old school mentality still. Marketing support to Financial advisors are limited since Corporate killed off all Marketing Division across the board nationally. As a result to all, low employee morale and office culture is non-existence.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a complete background check before hiring toxic Managing Directors and Leaders to run DFW market. One got booted for office politics; One was fired for having an affair with a subordinate; and the most recent one - he was never in the office and did not deliver that "walk the talk" promises; therefore, he was gone in 10 months. Hire Leaders who are Passionate, Supportive, and can lead. Hire top notch recruiting personnel who are certified to recognize elite sales people to solidify sales revenue goals.

"Customer service is key to what we do"

New Business (Former Employee) Bloomfield, CT

ProsI worked with many good people and created meaningful relationships with internal and external partners.

ConsIt was always a challenge to convince management that you knew what you were talking about. I would ask of them to be involved with projects but wasn't taken seriously.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of taking applications for the move to Charlotte NC; all individuals affected should have been offered either to stay in Ct or move with the company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Has been a great company to work for, but not sure that is the case at this point.

ProsFlexible schedules, team environment, decent pay and bonuses, company and employees interested in community giving and activities. For the most part I have found enjoyment in much of my time with this company in previous years. Expansion of business in other parts of the world is a great move.

ConsLots of knowledge lost in repeated waves of layoffs combined with repeated waves of outsourcing to a series of companies that brought in non US workers. The current plan is relocating to NC, but many of those that are left are not moving to NC. It does not seem like the employees are valued. The current attitude seems to be use them up / spit them out.....after all, we can hire more.

Advice to Senior ManagementNorth Carolina seems to be the only focus and the new people in NC are the only ones who have any value. Upper management will need to carefully time their departures in order to maximize their bonues before the cracks begin to show.

Fine, till they wanted to improve ROI

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsComp is average +, good benefits

ConsA lot of overtime, and must be a friend of mgt to get ahead

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep jobs in NJ !

Too slow

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsPeople are nice and great work life balance.

ConsVery silo with information and decision making held tight at the top.
    Lots of re-organizations with new opportunities going to the outside.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake decisions before the market pass you by.

Met Review

Director (Current Employee)

Pros1) Good salary,
    2) talented associates,
    3) challenging work

Cons1) US Relocation has killed morale and decreased historical perspectives
    2) Worklife balance is being impacted by trend to take WFH options away and is further impacted by long hours and limitless to-dos.
    3) Constant change, both in strategy/vision and in organizational structure. Seems to change constantly.

Advice to Senior ManagementWalk the walk. GTO regime talks about innovation and collaboration and then sqleches it when it occurs. 'Old' MetLife associates have worth and should not be discarded with a total lack of empathy, as is being done in the US Relocation to Raleigh.

Computer Operator

Computer Operator (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsGreat benefits, and work-life balance

ConsManagement disconnection, compensation was not up to par

Advice to Senior ManagementDo follow ups with employees

Continuing to push professional development

Financial Services Representative (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsExcellent product training and benefits. Top notch facilities. Good tools for customer presentations, etc.
    Opportunities for management if that is your goal. Corporate seems focused on improving product offerings.

ConsHigher overhead expenses and lower payout ratios compared to some other financial companies. Culture is more revenue oriented than customer focused. High turnover and inexperienced management. Too many staff meetings.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more team selling or mentoring to new Agents to get their income stream going.

Worst place to work for if you are in IT

Director of Applications Development (Former Employee) Morristown, NJ

ProsIf you are nearing retirement work for metlife.

ConsTerrible IT management team. no women at the top.

Worked for MetLife? Contribute to the Community!