MetLife

MetLife Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

MetLife President & CEO Steven A. Kandarian

Steven A. Kandarian

Pros
  • Flexible work arrangements and very good company for work life balance(in 103 reviews)

• MetLife has great benefits and different positions in different departments(in 74 reviews)

Cons
  • Lean work force, very aggressive timelines, work/life balance(in 20 reviews)

• Lack of visibility to senior management as to who is doing the actual job(in 33 reviews)

Company In Flux

ProsMetLife offers a good benefits package including 401K matching. The enterprise is massive and the need for a variety of skills in IT engineering, administration and management is available. Recent massive layoffs may make for good opportunities for advancement as they rebuilt their enterprise resource teams in North Carolina. The company is expanding internationally, so having international experience may benefit you. If you move through corporate politics with alacrity, this may be a good company for you. For years they have had good work-from-home policies, but now that they are focusing on co-location in North Carolina, they have stated that this will be changing in the future.

ConsLike many public companies, the emphasis is clearly on their financial performance above everything else. Recent history is a good example. MetLife is laying off more than 2,000 of it's most experienced employees in the northeast to move the majority of its domestic staff to North Carolina in exchange for tax considerations. Management has done this without sufficiently understanding what impact this will have on their ability to maintain an effective IT infrastructure, but instead are moving quickly to realize a high short term gain in salary and real estate costs. The institutional knowledge of how to get things done has been strongly impacted by forced turnover and there is a significant amount of disorder and inefficiency in their IT processes. Translation: expect long hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand the disconnect you are creating between yourselves and your staff. For example, the effective implementation a knowledge transfer initiative after you layoff dozens of your most important web engineers seems to indicate that you don't value the contribution the staff has made to the company since the turn of the century. The insensitivity of such things as cancelling cell phone reimbursement the same month as you announce layoffs when you needed the good will of the people whose jobs you were selling to NC was stark. In 1997, there was no way to buy MetLife products over the internet. By 2000, your online offerings were good enough to allow this 200 year old company mutual company to go public. Since then we have remained an industry leader and were recently cited as a progressive force in corporate social media. How do you expect to dissolve the teams that created these strengths and innovations for your without paying a heavy price by forcing yourself to rebuild your IT staff from scratch?

Overall good company

Project Manager (Former Employee) Bridgewater, NJ

Prosgood structure, good business values, depending on the department they care about their employees.

ConsThere is not much respect for contract employees. Technology is very behind.

Great Employer!

Case Manager (Former Employee) Alpharetta, GA

ProsGreat work life balance. Excellent training.

ConsSalaries are below national average

Advice to Senior ManagementRevaluate your current salary structure and retain your talent

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to work for.

ProsFlexible work schedule. Lots of training opportunities for personal and professional growth.

ConsSalary r.ange is not satisfactory

Best job I ever left

Senior Infrastructure Engineer (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsDecent pay, decent pay, decent pay, decent pay, low travel

ConsTotally incompetent, ineffectual management, massive uncompensated overtime (in my dept anyway), "gotya" culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire some smart people then RESIGN!

Great environment, great people.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIf you're passionate about working with committed people, this is the place you should consider applying to. Just make sure that you give 100% to the company.

ConsLarge bureaucracy which can slow down projects.

Overall a Great Company

Closing Loan Coordinator (Former Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsGreat benefits and corporate culture

ConsPulled out of mortgage industry

Opportunities to improve, but slow growth - CEO needs to stop importing ideas from outside and improve from within.

Investment Analyst (Former Employee) Morristown, NJ

ProsGreat company values, work/life balance, and opportunities to interface with the customers. Strong diversity and inclusion policies and opportunities to get involved in more than just your job. Many departments, some mobility across units. Decent resources and reasonable benefits. Hours are not bad, and friendly to family-focused individuals.

ConsPolitical end-of-year evaluations, slow promotions and salary growth, and unless you're part of the favored few, little clarity into management decisions. If you're critical to your position, may be difficult to move to another. Conservative, slow, consensus-style investments. Oftentimes will have people hired from outside above you instead of promoting from within which can be frustrating.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove the investment office from NJ to NYC or Jersey City - you'll get more of the candidates you seek. True up salary - your best people are leaving because you don't pay them similarly to competitors like AIG and Prudential.

Not a good place to work!

Financial Services Representative (Former Employee) Fort Lauderdale, FL

ProsIt has snoopy. Other then that there is not to much positive to say. They do have a weird lobby with small chairs in the side wall.

ConsThere is no team, in this office. No one is helpful and HR goes behind your back and tells the boss everything and gets you in trouble, even when they verbally bully you in the office to not say a word. I would not recommend this office to anyone. They make you call people at night and weekends when you should be home with your family. I thought that I could be entrepreneurial, and have a flexible schedule to be with family and then they dictated what I had to do, and it was not flexible. Not what I signed up for.

Advice to Senior ManagementThat they should fire the entire HR staff, and start from scratch so the managing director can not bully everyone.

Worklife balance is great

Investment Analyst (Current Employee) Morristown, NJ

ProsWorklife balance, senior management exposure

ConsUncertainty due to regulations, career opportunities

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage switching departments

Worked for MetLife? Contribute to the Community!