MetLife Reviews in Greenville, SC

MetLife President & CEO Steven A. Kandarian
Steven A. Kandarian

Pros
  • The work life balance is a plus; especially for working professionals with families (in 114 reviews)

• MetLife has great benefits and different positions in different departments (in 71 reviews)

Cons
  • Some of the supervisors don't allow flexibility as far as work-life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Lack of visibility to senior management as to who is doing the actual job (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights

5 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to start a career

Former Employee - Tester  in  Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Tester in Greenville, SC

I worked at MetLife full-time for more than a year

Pros

Encourages at least 40 hours of training per year by providing online learning modules as well as instructor-led courses. Work is autonomous with varying levels of micro-management depending on the individual manager. Excellent work-life balance benefits such as the option to work from home in situations that would otherwise require a day off. Greenville, SC office permits jeans and athletic shoes during the week.

Cons

Job specific training is virtually non-existent. Performance measurements are often not clearly defined or measurable and reasons for the performance rating received are not explained. Office morale is very low as company is currently restructuring causing many changes in job duties and team members.

Provide job specific training to new hires such as how a particular tool is used in that particular job role. Implement stress reducing team building activities following each round of "actions" at each site to offset the lowered morale. When a position is eliminated, take more time to evaluate the value of the individual who is losing his or her job to avoid losing talent that could be retained in a similar position. At the very least, check to see if they've applied to other open positions and determine the potential for a transfer.

Sales

Former Employee - Financial Planner  in  Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Financial Planner in Greenville, SC

I worked at MetLife full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

MetLife was a good company to work for. Good training program and great mentorship program. Good base pay in the beginning and good commission pay after training period. Good products.

Cons

Downside is that the training was somewhat segmented when I was there. We had a great system in our region, but I heard bad experiences in other regions. Managers, as with any job, can be micromanagers, especially when the office is not hitting its targets.

Overall MetLife is a good company to work for.

Current Employee - IT Project Lead  in  Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - IT Project Lead in Greenville, SC

I have been working at MetLife

Pros

I enjoy the close nit small IT Teams
    Management backs the effort estimated by IT Staff vs other companies I have seen where speed
    Telecommuting and scheduling are very flexible

Cons

There are some political issues
    Large overhead of processes in the IT environment, common among large companies.
    Large initiatives from Senior management are often misrepresented, during early phases

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Met 'was' a great place to work and committ to, no more...

Former Employee - Information Systems Consultant  in  Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Information Systems Consultant in Greenville, SC

I worked at MetLife

Pros

Good salary for the industry, I used to be able to add a lot of 'PROS" but they seem to be disappearing for good this year...

Cons

Metlife is laying off their US IT staff and outsourcing 1/2 if not more of the IT jobs to India and offshore consulting. They are working the remaining IT employees into the ground. They do not realize that business knowledge and relationships with the business partners will be drastically lost with this model... no more Subject matter experts will hurt metlife terribly. India consultants while they work cheaper and sometimes seem to work harder w/o question, will not care about the company and the business products like US Full time employee's have in the past. Now... all I see and hear are disgruntled, burned out employees. When the economy turns around there will be a mass exidus from this company when other jobs are available. I was not laid off however (just so I don't sound like I have a 'bone' to pick)

Wake up and realize what you are losing in 'saving that buck'... by outsourcing to India.

Good company. Equal opportunity for working mothers

Current Employee - Systems Analyst  in  Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Greenville, SC

I have been working at MetLife

Pros

Good company to work for. Good place to learn, decisions are supported.
    Support for working mothers/flexible work time. Telecommuting allowed when necessary. Can work evening/weekends from home to make up work schedules.
    Work looked at objectively for reviews. Reviews are frequent. Development plans are made and employees encouraged to grow.
    Management can make good (even tough) decision when necessary.

Cons

Outsourcing continuing. Layoffs, cost cutting in progress.
    Low ratings can be given even to good workers if everyone in the team is doing well as a certain percentage of people must be given low ratings.
    While development plans can be made, ability to grow in direction wanted by employee is sometimes difficult.

Continue objective reviews, decrease outsourcing. Encourage work from people.

Worked for MetLife? Contribute to the Community!