MetLife

3.1
1,096 Reviews

MetLife President & CEO Steven A. Kandarian
Steven A. Kandarian

Pros
  • The work life balance is a plus; especially for working professionals with families (in 120 reviews)

• MetLife has great benefits and different positions in different departments (in 74 reviews)

Cons
  • Some of the supervisors don't allow flexibility as far as work-life balance (in 29 reviews)

• Senior management inner circle that does not include front line management input or feedback (in 36 reviews)

More Highlights

I worked full time as an analyst for almost 3 years.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bridgewater, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bridgewater, NJ

I worked at MetLife full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work-life balance, able to work from home. Very friendly environment, care about employees

Cons

I don't have any cons

Good workplace.

I have been working at MetLife full-time (less than a year)

Pros

nice compensation benefits401 k plan and yearly bonus

Cons

Pay is less than industry standard

Change isn't coming, so don't bother.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at MetLife full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Compensation is fair, but maybe a little low for the market. Benefits package is good with solid 401k match and pension plan, both with reasonable vesting periods. Work/life balance is possible if you get a management team that either knows what they're doing or is completely checked out.

Huge new campus with lots of amenities being built in Cary.

Good people are being hired to work here, but...

Cons

...the Raleigh location is an afterthought in the grand scheme of things. Executives in New York are primarily concerned with cost savings through layoffs in the northeast and meeting hiring targets here in order to get tax breaks from North Carolina.

There's a lot of talk about coming to Raleigh in order to change the culture and it's just that: talk. Or rather, PR, since it was conjured up by an external New York-based firm. The higher-ups seem to think that that building a new campus will somehow automatically make the culture great. Too bad those new buildings are going to be run by people who wouldn't know good culture if it bit them. No one's going to use the quiet zones or work outside when their manager is clocking how long they've been away from their desk and interrogates them about it once they return.

Nearly all of the new senior executive team came from long careers in banking, which has a solid reputation for horrible culture. For the others, MetLife is the only company they've ever known. Most of the IT executives (VP and above) are staying in New York because no one has the backbone to make them relocate. How they think any of this translates into building the awesome techie environment they're selling here in Raleigh is beyond me.

Speaking of technology, most of it is stuck in the '70s and '80s. If you love mainframe, Blackberry, and IE8, you'll be really happy here. Anything shiny and new is built by an external vendor, not by MetLife IT, which is pretty demoralizing for developers looking to be challenged.

Innovation is centrally managed through a group in New York. I'll give you a second to let the irony fully sink in.

There's an over-reliance on consultants and vendor management is a total train wreck. MetLife is completely beholden to big IT players, so you'll be told it's too risky when you suggest working with anyone remotely small(-ish) or less well-known.

Processes are labyrinthine. If you can figure out how to do something without angering at least half a dozen people, you deserve a medal.

Moving around is difficult; moving up is nearly impossible. Internals have to go through the same hiring process as externals, including behavioral interviewing. It can take well over six months to fill a position, even when a qualified internal candidate is in the pool. Ridiculous.

Cronyism is rampant. Once you start to weave together everyone's past relationships, it will be glaringly apparent why certain people were hired. The backgrounds they care most about are consulting and graduating from Ivy League schools. If you just sold a multi-million dollar business or were a rockstar in another industry, it won't matter. You'll still be treated like you're stupid (and if you're lucky, someone from New York will be kind enough to tell you that to your face).

Intimidation tactics abound. If someone higher up gets a whiff that you might be smarter than them, you'll be branded as insubordinate and threats of being fired will start. No one, especially the ivory tower in New York, wants you to question anything because that might alter the carefully crafted story being sold to the C-suite and Board of Directors.

Politics, oh, the politics. There are competing cliques of old- and new-school executives. The few trying to force the culture change are way outnumbered. They also need to have a steel spine and borderline masochistic desire for punishment from on high. If you're lower on the totem pole, just keep your head down and try to avoid getting caught in the crossfire. It's essentially a war of attrition and the good ones will eventually get tired and move on to better jobs.

If you've made it this far, you probably know what I'm going to say: don't come here unless you love the corporate life at its worst.

Get ready to lose some of your best people this year. I know the prevailing attitude is that we're all replaceable, but it's going to keep getting harder to replace us.

I have worked at MetLife for 13 years great company with good benefits and compensation.

Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Somerset, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Somerset, NJ

I worked at MetLife

Pros

Coworkers are really friendly and easy to work with.

Cons

Management needs to step up and promote employees base upon knowledge not friendship.

When jobs are being relocated to another state, management should assist their employees in getting jobs at MetLife Home Office in Bridgewater. It is so sad to see that employees worked for so long with a company and just let go without and assistance from Management .

Review of job

I worked at MetLife

Pros

When I worked at Met the income was very good, the training was also very good. Management team was easy to fit in with.

Cons

When I worked at Met the lack autonomy was frustrating. Also. Sometimes you would feel like just a number and that upward mobility is hard.

Project mgr

I have been working at MetLife

Pros

Strong Brand, great people, flexible schedule

Cons

Extremely quick pace. Long decision process.

Too many silos

Good Work Environment

Current Employee - Business Consultant in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Business Consultant in Tampa, FL

I have been working at MetLife

Pros

Great work environment, helpful coworkers and good benefits.

Cons

Management doesnt reply/answer in a timely manner.

A knowledge when an employee needs answers we are as important as customers.

I absolutely loved working for MetLife.

Former Employee - IAT Specialist in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - IAT Specialist in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at MetLife part-time (more than a year)

Pros

It was a very laid back environment, the salary was good, and the hours were wonderful. Management was extremely nice and if you took a claim that was traumatic for you they would let you take a 30 min break to recover emotionally. Lastly, they had dinner and movie nights on the weekends for workers.

Cons

It was only a part-time job and couldn't be full-time.

Met Life Securities

Former Employee - Senior Trader in Somerset, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Trader in Somerset, NJ

I worked at MetLife full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, Management - ongoing training / ability to gain additional licensing

Cons

Little room for advancement, hard to transition to other business areas

Allow people under your management umbrella to cross train with other departments to gain better overall knowledge

Auto and Home Claims Department

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Charlotte, NC

I worked at MetLife full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, 401k, paid time off, pension

Cons

On the low end of salary compared to industry

Consider performance when making termination decisions