MetLife Reviews

Updated September 26, 2014
Updated September 26, 2014

MetLife President & CEO Steven A. Kandarian
Steven A. Kandarian

Pros
  • The work life balance is a plus; especially for working professionals with families (in 114 reviews)

• MetLife has great benefits and different positions in different departments (in 71 reviews)

Cons
  • Some of the supervisors don't allow flexibility as far as work-life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Lack of visibility to senior management as to who is doing the actual job (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights

Outstanding company, but inconsistent experience for associates

Former Employee - IT Manager  in  Somerset, NJ
    Former Employee - IT Manager in Somerset, NJ

I worked at MetLife full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

A company that you can be proud to work for.
    Decent pay and benefits.
    Incredible work/life balance (depending on the organization)
    Pockets of excellence and some really cutting-edge architecture, technology and behaviors
    Some of the best people that I've ever had the pleasure of working with
    Lots of opportunity to contribute (depending on your manager)

Cons

Small pockets of political backstabbing and "culture of blame" groups.
    Pockets of outdated technology and behaviors.
    No accountability or 360-degree feedback for managers. Luckily, most are good, but there's no mechanism for calling out the ones destroying morale.
    Extremely poor oversight of the transition of IT Staff to Raleigh. Many people are being hired and given no support, direction or motivation and it's created a lot of dissent and frustration. Managers should have been moved/hired first like they did on the business side.
    Generous separation packages encouraged people who *could* find jobs to take the money and run rather than relocate or look for internal reassignment.

Focus on developing/moving/building leadership in Raleigh to mitigate the damage to morale that's already occured/occuring.
    Implement bottom-up feedback and reviews to identify the managers that are undermining your vision.
    Put skills inventories back in place to identify the talent that you have rather than continually going outside to consultants or hiring to plug gaps that don't actually exist.
    Leverage the breadth of experience that your people bring to the table instead of being narrowly focused on HR-defined job functions.
    Shift more responsibility/accountability to managers and employees and stop consolidating all of the decision-making at the top. (eg: operating budgets, expenses, bonuses, salary treatment, etc.) If the managers can't handle it, train them or replace them. Fund services appropriately and let the managers figure out how to deliver.
    Consider incentivizing employees to stay rather than paying them to leave.

5 out of the 7 managers that I had there were among the best that I ever had. If it hadn't been for the package, I would have jumped at the opportunity to join another team within the company. While I could (and did) find a higher level position and salary, there's a lot to be said for being part of MetLife.

If you're a current employee and frustrated, just know that it's not the whole company. Talk to other teams and look for other opportunities. There's a reason why some people stay with the company for their entire career and it's not apathy.

Great people, changing direction

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at MetLife full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There is great work life balance, opportunity to work from many places, and lots of ways to learn as you go.
    - Great people
    - Some interesting work
    - Lots of ways to learn and grow

Cons

The main con was constant changes and a very stale business strategy for senior leadership.
    - Constant re-orgs
    - Heavily focused on cost cutting
    - Lack of innovation, highly risk averse

Good Career Opportunity

Current Employee - Financial Analyst  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Tampa, FL

I have been working at MetLife full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There is plenty of opportunity for growth. Pay is sufficient. Perfect for a long term career

Cons

Career progress moves SLOW. Very political atmosphere.

Provide more opportunity for growth. Take stock in your own workers instead of looking outside the company

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great experience in Customer Service

Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative  in  Utica, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Utica, NY

I worked at MetLife full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Excellent training, no confusion on what is expected of you

Cons

time-off policies, office culture, treatment towards workers comp claims--negative

Good Company - Solid Reputation

I worked at MetLife

Pros

Friendly people, flexible work hours, Rewarding career

Cons

As with any corporation - employees are cut when budget crunches come up.

Treat individuals as individuals and not as numbers. The people in the trenches help keep the company running. So it would be great that you remember that always.

Broker

I have been working at MetLife

Pros

working with the managing director in the Roslyn office in long island is a wonderful experience. All the managers are very helpful and will do the best they can to make you successful.

Cons

If an agent based on commission, but the opportunities are endless if you work hard.

Solid Company

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Consultant  in  Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Consultant in Providence, RI

I have been working at MetLife full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

wonderful benefits and focused on educating their workforce on 401K savings and living a financially strong future.

Cons

Usually, it's the same people who are considered for new and upcoming positions.

Good management!

I loved my job. Metlife was a great place to work

Former Employee - Documant Analyst  in  Latham, NY
    Former Employee - Documant Analyst in Latham, NY

I worked at MetLife full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I liked working for Metlife because the department I worked for was a great place to work. We worked as a team, which made it enjoyable

Cons

The one con I can think of is they change our hour lunch to a half hour and took some holidays away from us

Good company for long term employment options.

I have been working at MetLife full-time

Pros

Great benefits, competitive pay and year end bonus potential. Many options to work from a remote location that adds greatly to an appropriate work-life balance.

Cons

There has been a lot of movement within the top levels of the organization, not from new hires or people being replaced, but rather moving around of the same top management staff that has caused some confusion as to 'who does what.'

We all know change is needed to keep up with competition as well as to continue to satisfy customers, but too many changes over short durations tends to make it more difficult for Associates to adjust/adhere to those changes in a timely manner.

Global Procurement

Former Employee - Sourcing/Procurement Specialist  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Sourcing/Procurement Specialist in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at MetLife as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Very good team environment, open door policy all the way up the management ladder

Cons

Company is fractured all over the country. team mates in 4 different locations

Worked for MetLife? Contribute to the Community!