MetLife Reviews

Updated October 23, 2014
Updated October 23, 2014

MetLife President & CEO Steven A. Kandarian
Steven A. Kandarian

Pros
  • The work life balance is a plus; especially for working professionals with families (in 117 reviews)

• MetLife has great benefits and different positions in different departments (in 72 reviews)

Cons
  • Some of the supervisors don't allow flexibility as far as work-life balance (in 26 reviews)

• Lack of visibility to senior management as to who is doing the actual job (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights

Outstanding company, but inconsistent experience for associates

Former Employee - IT Manager in Somerset, NJ
    Former Employee - IT Manager in Somerset, NJ

I worked at MetLife full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

A company that you can be proud to work for.
    Decent pay and benefits.
    Incredible work/life balance (depending on the organization)
    Pockets of excellence and some really cutting-edge architecture, technology and behaviors
    Some of the best people that I've ever had the pleasure of working with
    Lots of opportunity to contribute (depending on your manager)

Cons

Small pockets of political backstabbing and "culture of blame" groups.
    Pockets of outdated technology and behaviors.
    No accountability or 360-degree feedback for managers. Luckily, most are good, but there's no mechanism for calling out the ones destroying morale.
    Extremely poor oversight of the transition of IT Staff to Raleigh. Many people are being hired and given no support, direction or motivation and it's created a lot of dissent and frustration. Managers should have been moved/hired first like they did on the business side.
    Generous separation packages encouraged people who *could* find jobs to take the money and run rather than relocate or look for internal reassignment.

Focus on developing/moving/building leadership in Raleigh to mitigate the damage to morale that's already occured/occuring.
    Implement bottom-up feedback and reviews to identify the managers that are undermining your vision.
    Put skills inventories back in place to identify the talent that you have rather than continually going outside to consultants or hiring to plug gaps that don't actually exist.
    Leverage the breadth of experience that your people bring to the table instead of being narrowly focused on HR-defined job functions.
    Shift more responsibility/accountability to managers and employees and stop consolidating all of the decision-making at the top. (eg: operating budgets, expenses, bonuses, salary treatment, etc.) If the managers can't handle it, train them or replace them. Fund services appropriately and let the managers figure out how to deliver.
    Consider incentivizing employees to stay rather than paying them to leave.

5 out of the 7 managers that I had there were among the best that I ever had. If it hadn't been for the package, I would have jumped at the opportunity to join another team within the company. While I could (and did) find a higher level position and salary, there's a lot to be said for being part of MetLife.

If you're a current employee and frustrated, just know that it's not the whole company. Talk to other teams and look for other opportunities. There's a reason why some people stay with the company for their entire career and it's not apathy.

I am proud to have worked for MetLIfe

I worked at MetLife full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great Company to work for. Always found the employees very willing to help each other. The company offer many professional opportunities to their employees. Depending on you department flex time and telecommuting are possible.

Cons

I do not have anything bad to say. Only advice. If you want to move up in the company it's up to you to take the initiative and apply/post for higher level positions.

Great place to stay

Former Employee - Actuarial Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Actuarial Intern in New York, NY

I worked at MetLife as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Positive company culture.
    Supportive colleagues.
    Lots of opportunity to contribute

Cons

Pockets of outdated technology and behaviors

Keep showing yourself.
    Try to communicate with other departments and learn more.

Good benefits, great teammates, some leadership okay

Former Employee - Implementation Specialist in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Implementation Specialist in Kansas City, MO

I worked at MetLife full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of training. Good benefits (health, dental, vision, vacation). Some management is very helpful in developing employees.

Cons

Can be some backstabbing in office culture. Some management can be the worst offenders in the backstabbing or picking favorites to develop. Has a tendency to pigeon hole people in roles they are good at.

Develop your talent. Don't leave an associate in a position simply because they are really good at it. Find their passion and develop it.

Learned a lot

I worked at MetLife

Pros

Learned a lot about insurance benefits and computer skills with decent advancement opportunities

Cons

Poor management and way too many meetings that were unnecessary

Metlife Regional Sales Vice President

Former Employee - Regional Sales Vice President
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Vice President

I worked at MetLife full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great branding. Some of the mid level management is very talented and dialed in.

Cons

Senior management is focused on non domestic business developement. Service is very poor and the financial advisor community has not been treated well.

Listen to your sales force. There are some very well informed individuals already on your payroll.

Good

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at MetLife

Pros

Benefits, good people, big company

Cons

Slow growth potential, don't communicate very well

Allow growth

Great experience, but poor final outcome for typical MBA summer intern program

Former Employee - MBA Summer Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - MBA Summer Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at MetLife as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I loved the people that I worked with at the DC office. They gave me a lot of high level work to do relating to real estate debt/equity investments and asset management. I felt like the work I did supporting the team added significant value and I received a lot of positive feedback. I was also happy that MetLife accepted someone that I referred to the summer of 2013 program at the headquarters in NJ.

Cons

To my knowledge, this was the first MBA level summer program and none of the summer interns were offered full-time positions. There were five interns, all at different offices (one at the headquarters), and each person had a signficant amount of prior commercial real estate experience. During the summer of 2012, each of us had completed our first year at the following graduate business school programs: University of Georgia (Terry College of Business), University of California at Berkeley (Haas), University of Pittsburgh (Katz), UVA (Darden), Emory University (Goizueta).

State clearly at the beginning of the program whether or not there is the possibility of full-time employment, or if an offer is a possibility upon completion of the program. Also, provide more feedback at the end of the summer regarding how each person performed and where he/she could possibly fit in to the organization if a position becomes available.

Personal growth

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at MetLife full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company is in-flux, lots of changes, and hence lots of potential opportunities to move around and experience different types of working environments and new challenging assignments.

Cons

old gossipy culture of indecision, lots of committees and meetings, lots of backstabbing conversations in the hallways, too much politics... meets new top management from investment banking driving deep cuts and aggressive changes the investment banking style. Two cultures are clashing, changes are HUGE, and while the company may emerge victorious, lots of "bodies" along the way are inevitable. If you decide to join, have appetite for this and be prepared to jump.

With luck and right skill and acumen this may be a great opportunity to some. Build relationships with the right senior managers who are part of change team and moving up.

Products-Critical Illness Dept.

Former Employee - Claim Adjuster in Bridgewater, NJ
    Former Employee - Claim Adjuster in Bridgewater, NJ

I worked at MetLife full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good environment, met some nice people

Cons

They treat temps like garbage. If you are a temp and work with the team and critical illness just don't get too comfortable. The two nurses are miserable and the manager is very passive and is the henchman for the two miserable nurses,

Treat temporary workers with respect, don't setup up and look for reasons to send them packing just because you can.