MetLife Reviews

3.6

MetLife President & CEO Steven A. Kandarian
Steven A. Kandarian

Pros
  • Flexible work arrangements and very good company for work life balance (in 104 reviews)

• MetLife has great benefits and different positions in different departments (in 74 reviews)

Cons
  • Some of the supervisors don't allow flexibility as far as work-life balance (in 21 reviews)

• Lack of visibility to senior management as to who is doing the actual job (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

MetLife Financial Advisor

Former Employee - Financial Services Representative  in  Lexington, KY
    Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in Lexington, KY

I worked at MetLife

Pros

The job provides complete automony as a financial advisor. If you hate hierarchy this is a good organizational structure. Additionally, the company finances your overhead expenses the first few years and provides a base salary for the first 19 weeks, although it isn't enough.

Cons

The compensation system is designed to make you fail if you hit a rough patch. There are "red" numbers and "black" numbers. The red numbers represent the amount of premium you have sold. This means nothing until the business is approved by the multiple layers of bureaucracy, otherwise known as compliance and underwriting. The black number represent the actual premium you place. But beware, MetLife pays you an upfront annualized commission. If the policy lapses later, they take the money back. Because business can be inconsistent at times, a take-back can substantially ruin your personal financial situation. Additionally, many of the Agency Sales Directors have very little experience, and are usually better producers than managers. Don't expect a lot of useful help and don't believe everything they tell you.

Take a good look at what type of company you want MetLife to be (Financial Services) and then take a look at how it is perceived (Life Insurance Company).

Great for work/life balance

Current Employee - Underwriter  in  Wayne, PA
    Current Employee - Underwriter in Wayne, PA

I have been working at MetLife

Pros

Best reasons to work for MetLife are the vacation time, benefits offered and the annual bonus.

Cons

Not much room for growth and recognition is hard to come by for a job well done.

Take more time to recognize the 'worker bees', they are just as important as the sales team.

The real truth about MetLife

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative  in  Staten Island, NY
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Staten Island, NY

I have been working at MetLife

Pros

As far as sales go the company has came a long way. you are able almost all products as an independent broker with the support of a big company.

Cons

Again I have been in sales for 13 years and love it. It's not for everyone, if you are good at being accountable to yourself sky is the limit as far as income. the only downside I can think of is that from time to time they change the compensation plan. Sometimes better sometimes worse, but i believe every company is like that.

Like I read in another review the office you work at means everything. So make sure the management team at the office you choose supports your work style.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This position allows one to have unlimited compensation potential, but requires long hours and dedication.

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative  in  Downers Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at MetLife

Pros

Knowledge, networking, compensation potential, and flexibility

Cons

Long hours, very high expenses, downtime, all commission

It would help employees if there were certain reimbursements for business expenses.

Micro Management

Current Employee - Business Consultant  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Business Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at MetLife

Pros

They provide a decent benefits package including health, pension, and 401k. They also encourage self development within your current position. In addition, they do allow carrer advancement but sometimes its based on politics rather than qualifications.

Cons

In my current position there is ALOT of micro management. Sometimes they are so worried about the smallest details that they crucify individuals for even the smallest mistakes. Therefore, they loose sight of the big picture. They are also very indecisive on ALOT of issues. Something that we should be empowered to handle ourselves they would rather CYA and pass the decision up the management chain.

My current management appears to be so busy with meeting after meeting that they have no time for the "actual work" that needs to be done. When the work doesn't get done they would rather expect their employees to put in a little extra "effort" (ie: unpaid overtime) as opposed to assisting the employees in getting the work done.

Good company. Equal opportunity for working mothers

Current Employee - Systems Analyst  in  Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Greenville, SC

I have been working at MetLife

Pros

Good company to work for. Good place to learn, decisions are supported.
    Support for working mothers/flexible work time. Telecommuting allowed when necessary. Can work evening/weekends from home to make up work schedules.
    Work looked at objectively for reviews. Reviews are frequent. Development plans are made and employees encouraged to grow.
    Management can make good (even tough) decision when necessary.

Cons

Outsourcing continuing. Layoffs, cost cutting in progress.
    Low ratings can be given even to good workers if everyone in the team is doing well as a certain percentage of people must be given low ratings.
    While development plans can be made, ability to grow in direction wanted by employee is sometimes difficult.

Continue objective reviews, decrease outsourcing. Encourage work from people.

As a public company, still learning to 'walk the walk'

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst  in  Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Albany, NY

I have been working at MetLife

Pros

Flexible with alternate work arrangements such as telecommuting. Willing to invest in needed training where applicable to job responsibilities.

Cons

Middle management overly political in the way decisions are based in terms of job promotions. Need to better 'walk the walk' in terms of pay for performance. True risk takers and those going the extra mile in speaking out when something is not working as it should are more often shunned than rewarded while others who coast through their jobs aren't pushed enough to contribute. In sum, the people who are not the 'check your brains at the door' contributors who readily accept the more complex, difficult work, often end up getting piled on while others float in the background.

You pay for performance push is well intended and something definitely needed, particularly when moving to a publicly owned company, but it is NOT working. Middle management is not giving you the true, unfiltered story as to the issues and who the real people are that are working to solve those issues.

Used to be a great place to work.

Current Employee - Consultant, Business Process/Management  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Consultant, Business Process/Management in Chicago, IL

I have been working at MetLife

Pros

Good benefits. Used to be that you were proud of what you did - provided people with insurance and the support around it. Then I started to see thwe cracks in the facad -- they started outsourcing jobs to India, cutting customer service and promoting useless, unqualified people who played the political game (there is always some of this but Met takes the cake!) Time to move on before my job goes to India.

Cons

So political. East-coast focused. White Men need only apply. Pay is below average. Jobs going to India -- and yes, if your job goes, you have to train your replacement! OPEX - on its face, efficency is a great goal but there is a reason for the nic-name Op Axe. Their conittment to people as their greatest asset is a joke. Only good thing is the severance packages aren't terrible.

Rediculous to say on investor call that everything is great we are strong ... but we will have layoffs, more outsourcing to India and need to issue stock to get cash ... but we are in a strong position. BS.

nice perks and atmosphere for a buy side firm, might be too slow for some

Current Employee - Vice President  in  Morristown, NJ
    Current Employee - Vice President in Morristown, NJ

I have been working at MetLife

Pros

Quality of life, and plenty of opportunity to learn. Commute is much better than NYC. Relaxed work environment.
    Human Resources is really great.

Cons

Low pay against peers and Wall Street, low incentives to exploit technology. Long hours for most, and little actual down time after that. Everything is outsourced.

More aggressively automate. Don't think we can sit on our stack of money.....someone will take it from us

MetLife uncertain but possibly better later

Current Employee - Analyst  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at MetLife

Pros

Great chance for feedback from managament, 360 reviews are done as well. Working from home is generally speaking, fine for all groups , but some groups allow a very flexible work from home arrangement. My group allows approximately once or twice a month. My personal experience is that there are opportunities within your own department for career advancement but just like anywhere else, it all depends on how you play the game.

Cons

Departmental head not supportive of the group. Pay could be better. I've received raises for the past two years consistently but it all depends on how well you are rated. Employee morale is currently low as a result of the recent financial situation eveywhere and everyone knowing that there will be a round of layoffs in the end of October.

Operational Excellence is confusing and needs clarification

Worked for MetLife? Contribute to the Community!