MetLife Reviews

Reset
3.2
MetLife President & CEO Steven A. Kandarian
Steven A. Kandarian

Pros
  • Incredible work/life balance (depending on the organization) (in 120 reviews)

• Ethical company with great benefits (in 74 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance to speak of; perks are good; management is "meh" (in 29 reviews)

• Senior management is woefully disconnected from the daily goings-on of the low level workers who shoulder the grunt work (in 36 reviews)

1,310 Employee Reviews

1. Featured Review

Awesome Company..World Class

Former Employee - Senior Process Trainer in Noida (India)
    Former Employee - Senior Process Trainer in Noida (India)

I worked at MetLife full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Amazing work life balance - Stress free environment -Employee engagement activities -Educational courses -Lots of learning/Trainings -Good number of Leaves

Cons

-Excessive bureaucracy - Slow growth -Less appraisal amount - Slow promotion

Advice to Management

Please remove the extra bureaucracy and unnecessary levels of designations. Good relations with manager determine lots of promotions if not all.

2. Career opportunties unlimited, Benefits are very competitive

Current Employee - Retired On Disability Agency Manager in Tupelo, MS
    Current Employee - Retired On Disability Agency Manager in Tupelo, MS

Pros

Opportuntity for advancement. Income unlimited. Benefits are great. If you take care of Metlife Mama Met will take care of you if you become disabled or when you retire.

Cons

New hires in the sales side of the company do not have a good enough income support while building their business. Often times there is too many meetings.

Advice to Management

Take a closer look at the program for hiring new reps. Need better income support in the early years. In order to hire people with high current incomes the pay system needs to be able to address that.

3. Big company with big goals, great opportunities, great benefits

Current Employee - Financial Service Representative in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Financial Service Representative in Cedar Rapids, IA

Pros

Multiple training systems including webinars via internet, virtual classrooms and the company "portal". Excellent employee benefits (Health, dental, life, short & long term disability, voluntary life, voluntary long term care) however they have a vision discount program and not an actual vision insurance program. Regularly scheduled meetings with management to ensure performance objectives are met. These meetings are excellent coaching sessions to keep me on track and focused on my personal goals.

Cons

It's a big company, you can get lost in the system. Also, they have a sophisticated training system with multiple access points but no priority in what to learn first. It's easy to get overwhelmed, especially with the constant barage of e-mails.

Advice to Management

Don't change your training system, just organize it better, prioritizing classes and provide learning goals. The same goes for the company portal. It needs help.

5. Great place to work.

Current Employee - Underwriter in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Underwriter in Kansas City, MO

Pros

MetLife is a great place to work because of the work/life balance and the respect you receive from managment for doing a good job. As an Underwriter you have a clear and direct career path. The Management team keeps employees informed on issues. Atleast this is the environment in the kansas city office.

Cons

The work can be repetitive and somewhat boring in nature.

Advice to Management

n/a

6. Barnum really cares about their employees and their overall impact on society, it's the best place to work!

Current Employee - Recruiter in Shelton, CT
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Shelton, CT

Pros

The best reasons to work at Barnum is the culture of people who are around to support you. Barnum won the #1 places to work in CT by the Hartford Business Journal and that was judge upon employees feeling engaged, appreciated and had the ability for growth and development. Also the about of resources our Managing Director has invested in the firm for his producers, we have 8 departments in our agency who all support the producers in our firm and to our company. We are the #1 Metlife firm for the 4th year in a row and also the #1 Financial Planning firm of all of MetLife for the 4th year in a row. We are located in CT,NY, and MA.

Cons

I love my job, so I can't really think of anything.

Advice to Management

To continue to shape and improve new employees to be the best to their ability.

The real truth about MetLife

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Staten Island, NY
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Staten Island, NY

Pros

As far as sales go the company has came a long way. you are able almost all products as an independent broker with the support of a big company.

Cons

Again I have been in sales for 13 years and love it. It's not for everyone, if you are good at being accountable to yourself sky is the limit as far as income. the only downside I can think of is that from time to time they change the compensation plan. Sometimes better sometimes worse, but i believe every company is like that.

Advice to Management

Like I read in another review the office you work at means everything. So make sure the management team at the office you choose supports your work style.

8. MetLife is a great company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerset, NJ

Pros

career advancement opportunities in many facets of the organization

Cons

very large company...can be tough to navigate and/or find information

Advice to Management

act on moving poor performers out

9. Great job, but you have to be committed.

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Brooklyn, NY

Pros

The freedom to choose your own hours, the abaility to learn a multitude of prodct lines and a very helpful and friendly staff. If your not a fan of lide insurance, you do not need to sell life insurance. If your a lifelong learning, with great preserveance this is a fantastic opportunity. Metlife isalso good because unlike many other sales jobs you don't need to be calling all day. If you enjoy meeting people face to face like myself, its all the better! Also theres great feild support that you just can't get if you were just a insurance broker.

Cons

Commissions only, long learning curve. Long hours, long processing times of applications.

Advice to Management

Have a salary alongside commsions, less compliance more freedom to advertise the way we want to.

10. Good work conditions

Former Employee - IT Manager
    Former Employee - IT Manager

Pros

Good flexible work condition at Metlife. Also the work conditions is filexible and can be adapted based on the condition of the employee

Cons

limited growth .The management needs to recognoze good employees and segnreate them from the bad employess in terms of rewarding people. It is very essential

MetLife Auto and Home

Current Employee - Claim Adjuster
    Current Employee - Claim Adjuster

Pros

I enjoy the flex time, the excellent inexpensive benefits, and the retirement plan. I also like the fact that I can take as many days off in a row as I want, provided that I have accumulated the time off over the course of the year. Some companies only let you take a few days off at a time. I worked for another auto insurer that loved to micro-manage. Fortunately, MetLife does not micro-manage and gives you the autonomy to do your job. In addition, if you are a workerbee in a first line customer contact role, your job is pretty secure. There are many companies that have layed off workers, reduced pay and benefits over the past few years. MetLife actually gave raises and nice bonuses during this recession! Lastly, you actually hear MetLife employees use the word "retire". What that means to me is that people are happy enough to work at this company for 20 to 30 years and retire. Believe me, there are plenty of those working for other companies that would never dream of staying long enough to retire.

Cons

On the job training is more prevalant than formal class room style training. There really is no formal training in place for the majority of roles. For instance, some insurance carriers have a training class that you go to for 2 to 4 weeks to learn the job, but not at MetLife. I find that a lot of people have worked for other carriers and have experience so the formal training was not necessary. However, if you're seeking a promotional opportunity, or a transition into a different role, it can be difficult without training. Just like every insurance company, MetLife is constantly changing the way we do things. A lot of the information delivery on protocol changes are sent via email. I would prefer more of a "heads-up" before new processes begin.

Advice to Management

ARC workers are intelligent. They have licenses, claims experience, yet they do robotic, monotonous, and simple work. Please get rid of the ARC program and shift these folks into a fast-track role again. Let em' actually handle a claim again. They can do it! I totally believe the customer should be taken care of with a one call resolution. ARC makes great sense on paper. However, the majority of ARC workers do not follow-up as required leaving the work for someone else to do. In addition, they spend a lot of time on the internet playing games, reading books, etc while waiting between phone calls. It seems to me that their time could be used in a more productive manner.

Showing 1,310 of 1,375 reviews