MetLife

Updated August 19, 2014
Updated August 19, 2014

MetLife President & CEO Steven A. Kandarian
Steven A. Kandarian

Pros
  • Flexible work arrangements and very good company for work life balance (in 104 reviews)

• MetLife has great benefits and different positions in different departments (in 74 reviews)

Cons
  • Some of the supervisors don't allow flexibility as far as work-life balance (in 21 reviews)

• Lack of visibility to senior management as to who is doing the actual job (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

The low quality of management trumps anything positive about MetLife

Pros

It's not difficult if you're ok with lots of reports and lots of meetings about meetings and reports.

Cons

In the Investments Group, Met seems to have hired everyone that failed at Morgan. One hears the phrase "when I was at Morgan we did it this way" constantly. How an Insurance company could be compared to a Investment Bank makes one pause, "do they know where they are?"

I've worked for managers who were clueless. Who hasn't ! However, I've never worked for so many managers who were so pathologically dishonest.

Turnover is so high your co-workers expect you to leave

The image of any group from an company to a country follows the lowest common denominator.
    Clean house.

Toxic Culture, Totally Different Than it Was Portrayed During the Hiring Process

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Working at MetLife gave me a new appreciation for the mature, collaborative cultures inherent in other companies.

Pay was OK for the type of tasks I was assigned

Benefits were OK, but not spectacular

Cons

Much of what I have to say has been shared in other reviews. I was recruited to the company under the promise of working in a startup environment, building the new culture in Charlotte, providing new ideas for products, procedures, etc. and helping to rebuild the U.S. Retail organization. The job I was hired for was pitched as an exciting, multi-faceted role that would make use of my nearly two decades in financial services.

Reality could not have been farther from the truth. Met doesn’t want any advice for improvement, as the people that transferred here from other locations already know everything and do not expect to be challenged in any way. My role consisted of things such as copying/pasting between documents and creating basic spreadsheets and could have been performed by a high schooler a few afternoons a week. Fortunately, I wasn't there long enough for my skills to really regress, but they would have if I would have stayed for any length of time.

There were some good managers there that understood that they looked good when their teams performed and developed their people accordingly. However, for the most part, the low-mid level managers are brand new at managing people, as Met let go of many of their experienced staff as part of their move to North Carolina. The ones that were left either didn’t know how to manage, or they were so arrogant that they weren’t aware that they didn’t know everything. Don’t fall for the “we took the best of the best to NC” line they feed you in interviews, many good people left the company after the move was announced or took severance packages. Many of the ones that were left obtained managerial roles by process of elimination.

Managers treated people that weren't part of the in crowd like imbeciles that couldn’t handle anything other than the simplest tasks, despite years of quantifiable experience to the contrary. It made for entertaining theatrics – the managers were soooooo busy because work couldn’t be delegated to the incompetent subordinates. Some managers wouldn’t even make eye contact, let alone talk to, anyone who wasn’t on or above their level on the org chart.

People were constantly set up by management to “make errors” by scenarios such as doing what they were instructed, only to have managers come back and swear that they never gave such instruction. Pettiness, politics, grandstanding and backstabbing are how one gets ahead there. I know of at least three things my manager looked me in the eye and lied about – I have not had a manager do that since I was a teenage retail clerk.

The culture reminded me of how kids interacted in middle school – you were either part of the in crowd or you weren’t, and forget quality assignments, promotions, or fair performance reviews if you weren’t.

Speaking of performance reviews, Met uses a forced distribution review system, which means that a certain percentage of employees in each department receive unsatisfactory reviews each year, per company policy. This was never relayed to me despite my asking several questions about the review process while I was interviewing. When I questioned this after being hired, I was told that they were thinking about getting rid of this policy at the time that they interviewed me, so they didn’t mention it. It was pretty obvious who in my department was being set up to receive the unsatisfactory reviews.

Many of the transfers seemed to have developed a hobby of pointing out all the ways that the South, and Southerners, are backwards and ignorant. One even started a departmental meeting by telling a story about how backwards everyone here is (the story actually made this person seem like the one who was a bit backwards). As a native Southerner, I am used to hearing things like this and brushing them off, but the way it went on and on and on during my time at Met just became really, really, old and exacerbated the entire situation.

I could go on and on about my time with MetLife. It was one of the worst experiences I have ever had, personally or professionally.

In closing, this company may be worth considering if you fall into one of the following categories:

- You are in the waning years of your career and just need income for a couple of years before you retire
    - You are really good at underhanded office politics and enjoy the type of culture I have described
    - You really hate your current job or are unemployed
    - You just want a job for the paycheck and don’t care about a professional culture or producing quality work

I wish I had known even half of what I was getting into by coming here. I left after a few months, and I wasn’t the first person in my department to leave.

If you are hiring properly, there is no need for a forced distribution review system. Other than that, nothing. No one would listen anyway.

False advertising - they say they want tech culture but it's really just top down, conservative management.

Current Employee - Manager  in  Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Manager in Raleigh, NC

Pros

It would have been great if you were what you advertised. Benefits are decent. Not quite on par with tech companies but they are ok.

Cons

The company says they are trying to create a tech company culture. Really, it is old conservative financial/insurance top down management. Go if you like that type of company but don't go expecting anyone to embrace new ideas. I work with people who are best in class at what they do and no one listens to them. The company continues doing things the way they used to and seems annoyed at the suggestion of doing things different.

Your management talks about change but they don't really embrace it. The training you are giving them isn't working. How about holding them accountable for employee satisfaction? Base their bonus on employee satisfaction and evidence of doing things differently. If you were serious about changing and employee engagement, you would do the pulse survey and ask employees what they are thinking. Either really learn how to engage employees or advertise yourself as an old school insurance company.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worst Experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Pros

Not sure if there are any pros to working for this company but the salary was decent and coworkers were great people.

Cons

Working at MetLife was the worse experience I have ever had. I came into MetLife ready to challenge myself, develop, and make a difference. I was warned not to work for this company by a friend but I ignored the warning and accepted the offer. It only took me a week after onboarding to realize something was not right about this company.

-Lack of training and/or clear directions. My manager did not even know what part of a project I would be assigned to for a month. Once directions were given to me, it had nothing to do with what I was hired to do.
    -Please be aware that MetLife has a bait and switch policy they are not telling new hires about. You will be hired for one role and do something totally opposite of what you were hired to do. I was reduced to copying and pasting information from one document to another. I was told this was very important and critical to the success of the team. It was all lies.
    -Don't believe anything the outsourced recruiters tell you. They all tell lies! The are just try to fill seats because MetLife has made a commitment to the state of North Carolina to hire a certain number of people by the end of 2015. You don't interview with your actual hiring manager.
    -That brings me to another point, they try to sell this whole start up environment where you are able to be innovative and they are looking to change. They tell you they want your input but don't believe this. MetLife can care less about your ideas. They do nothing with the feedback they are given. The work culture at this site seems forced.
    -I co-founded an infinite group and was told I was doing excellent things but my manager was such a micro manager, I was banned from attending any meetings or activities. I was even reprehended for attending a meeting with my fellow co-founder to discuss a growth plan for the group.
    -Managers are terrible! They are process managers, not people manager and it really shows in their management style. I was told by my manager that she's managed hundreds of people, but that still does not make a you a great manager. Most people got to management purely because of the number of years they have worked for a company. The "Peter Principle" applies here.
    -My team's leader brought over her well established buddy group from a previous company. How is MetLife making a change when you allow people to bring in their friends who don't want to see change?
    -MetLife has people who have worked at this company for 20+ years and that's all they know is MetLife. They've never worked for another company to get a diverse view of how things operate outside of MetLife.
    -No matter how much MetLife tries to sell this whole, "we are the next big technology company", your products and services all tie back to insurance. I'm sorry but insurance is not "sexy" in the tech industry. Take it from me a recent college grad, this is not the place you want to start your career.
    -MetLife built this whole entry level program that is supposed to give recent college grads the tools they need to be successful. They basically shield these people from what reality actually is at MetLife. No matter how much you try to make this a "fun" program., these participants will leave your company once the 6 months of "fun" is over. They are basically feeding these people 6 months of "MetLife Kool-Aid", having them delusional to reality at MetLife. The "Kool-Aid" wore off fast for me and it's a lot more of these senior leaders who are and have been drinking the Kool-Aid for a long time.
    -My job working at McDonald's in high school was better than working for MetLife. I would rather flip burgers alongside coworkers who actually care about you and managers who actually know how to manage people rather than work at MetLife.
    -I regressed while I was at this company. I thank God I am no longer at this company.

Stop drinking the "Kool-Aid". Hire people managers, not process managers. Stop trying to sell this whole start up environment. People see right through the lies.

Don't let Snoopy fool you!

Pros

You really can't beat the vacation time!! And flexible start time is a real plus. The building is located in a beautiful area, lots of wildlife around!

Cons

I'm tempted to say: too many to mention. While the vacation time is pretty impressive and hard to beat, the salary is low. Over the years that I've been with the company, the whole atmosphere has changed. In the beginning, prior to becoming a public company (stock(, employees were valued and morale was high. It was fun to come to work! Once we became public, it changed. Employees are not valued at all. Let me list some examples. Mandatory overtime. Yes, mandatory. As in you have to work every Saturday for so many hours, and if you don't they threaten to write you up. I am curious if that's even legal. And it's been mandatory for over ten years in my department. Oh and they told us on July 3, that we would be required to work on either July 4 or5 and we didn't get the three day holiday weekend. Beyond that, if we worked in July 4, we did not get paid extra because it was our CHOICE to work that day. Really? And to cover themselves, they made us fudge our time sheets to look like we worked on the day after the holiday so they didn't have to pay us. No value on employees.

Another prime example of not caring for employees comes in the form of relocation. We were told in March 2013 that our jobs were being moved to North Carolina. If we wanted to relocate, we had to reapply for our positions and hope we get it. Keep in mind, on the conference call with the VP he mentioned they were moving for the talent pool. That right there shows they don't want to keep is. We were then told that in RI we are so under budget that we are not being paid the correct amount for our zones and levels. But that's too bad because they aren't going to raise out salaries here. When we found out we were relocating, we were told what we would make of we were to go to NC. Turns out the salary there was about 5K more. Which is funny because they should actually make less than us down there. The in June 2013, we were told that they weren't relocating us "right now". And even though we were told our salaries would be more down there, there still is not enough in the budget to match what we actually should be making. They acknowledge we are under paid and make no attempt to fix it. Now we are awaiting another decision on if we are relocating or not. Very hard to stand my a company that has such little regard for their employees. We have families and there is not work life balance.

I could keep going, but I won't ramble. Just really think out your decision to work for this company. I will also point out my department is on the Life side, not the Auto and Home side. Maybe not all of our company is like that.

Act like you appreciate your employees. Treat them fairly. And if you're going to mandate overtime , maybe you could come in too to support your teams! Might help raise morale.

Need to move with the times

Current Employee - Claims Examiner
    Current Employee - Claims Examiner

Pros

Benefits provided as far as health dental and 401 are good. Work from home option in some departments

Cons

Poor systems and upgrades still are not compatible with the industry. Very political when it comes to promotions. They always talk about work-life balance but make you work 10+ hours of overtime every week (its not mandatory because they cant by law but if u dont do it its held against u in reviews and promotions). NO employee appreciation what so ever! A lot of good workers are leaving because things are getting worse by the day

MetLife IT. Check the box, done for the day!

Former Employee - Systems Analyst  in  Morristown, NJ
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Morristown, NJ

Pros

Not hard work, it's typical of big IT.
    If you want to learn about ITILs, PMP, SLA, and all that other IT gibber gabber
    If you're really bad at managing people you will shine at Met.

Cons

You're hear this a thousand times a day, "WHEN I WAS AT MORGAN"
    IT in Investments survives by staying out of the way,
    Maintain, don't innovate. Don't ask, check the box you box checker you..

You should have cleaned up your act before moving to NC..

Work environment is not good

Current Employee - Senior Oracle Database Administrator  in  Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Oracle Database Administrator in Cary, NC

Pros

not seen any future for my career

Cons

uncertain career making people not stay long

Metlife Broker Dealer

Pros

I wish I had one to say

Cons

Just a name and number . No matter what you do you are always at fault. With new re-org this division is a mess

Get a clue .Try to get some advice from the insurance side . Since you are running this division to the ground

Customer Centric my rear!

Pros

Not a bad commute to work....there are small pockets of caring employees if you are lucky enough to find them.

Cons

Corporate double speak.....nobody cares about the employees.......most everyone has a severe case of 'not-my-job-itis'.

Try caring about your employees more - I got tired of hearing 'You're lucky to have a job' when the truth was more of 'You (Met) were lucky I chose to work so hard for you'.

Worked for MetLife? Contribute to the Community!