MetLife

3.1
1,030 Reviews

MetLife President & CEO Steven A. Kandarian
Steven A. Kandarian

Pros
  • The work life balance is a plus; especially for working professionals with families (in 120 reviews)

• MetLife has great benefits and different positions in different departments (in 74 reviews)

Cons
  • Some of the supervisors don't allow flexibility as far as work-life balance (in 29 reviews)

• Senior management inner circle that does not include front line management input or feedback (in 36 reviews)

More Highlights

Claim Specialist

I worked at MetLife full-time

Pros

Good insurance benefits good workers

Cons

Mistreated disrespecful unable to get promoter, lower salary pay poor management working like dogs

Company products are good, working there is not

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

I worked at MetLife full-time (less than an year)

Pros

benefit package was amazing, peers were great to work with, great location in NC, lots of opportunities for lateral moves, but not for upward mobility.

Cons

the relocation of IT to NC seems to give MetLife the idea that NC region people don't deserve to be paid well. Was hired to do one job and then realized was being tasked to do three jobs at a salary that wasn't the median for any of the three! .

Manipulation by pretending to create culture

Former Employee - Annuity Customer Service Representative in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Annuity Customer Service Representative in Tulsa, OK

I worked at MetLife full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It feels like a real job for a while. Management pretends to help you work on a personal development plan. You are required to set goals for yourself in a job you just started in and know very little about. There's a cafeteria on site. Believe me, though the food isn't great, you'll need to learn how to eat there or bring your own food. Your 30 minute lunch(minus the 5 minutes*2=10 minutes it takes to enter and exit the building) won't allow you to make it for or actually humanely consume anything reasonably resembling food elsewhere.

Cons

They're regularly fussing with you about everything. Don't do this, don't do that. I felt 2 all over again. The difference is I'm a grown man with multiple degrees who acts my age. Everything I did was an attempt to be a good employee and you can bet I was berated at every turn. So, in essence met was like a giant preschool where we were actually handling giant transactions for real people in the real world. It was such a nightmare.

Just because someone seems to perform well in another industry doesn't mean they'll do well in your industry. I'm referring to the horrible mid-level management hire from Citi. The company has pretty much been on a downward spiral since going public. I was strongly consider going private similar to your prior arrangement as a mutual.
    Also, more money brings better talent.

Bait and Switch

Current Employee - Principal in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Principal in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at MetLife full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Seeing employees I know from a previous employer. Nice onboarding program prior to joining your personal department.

Cons

Interview and actual position are a mismatch. Charlotte, NC pay is lower than the majority of competitors.

Embrace the culture, knowledgeable staff and be open to change.

MetTech University, nothing original or innovative

Current Employee - Technical Associate in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Technical Associate in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at MetLife full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are really no pros to working for this company but the salary is ok and my co workers in the program are good people. We are all young professionals trying to start our careers.

Cons

MetTech University is a terrible program. This is an entry level program that has a duration of 6 months. The program has some classroom training and on the job training. From the beginning, this program was marketed as a leading transformational IT program. This could not be farther from the truth. The program is a carbon copy of programs that other companies have like Fidelity, Cisco, and NetApp. The leaders of the program all came from Cisco. They have basically taken what they have done at Cisco and implemented the same exact program. There is nothing original about the program especially for a company who markets themselves as innovative. The leaders of this program really pride themselves on making "change" at MetLIfe. There is nothing innovative about implementing the same program you created at Cisco and bringing it over to MetLife. The program was not implemented well. The classes are worthless because they teach you about new technology but yet MetLife uses very old technology. I just don't understand how a company can market themselves as a leading IT company, when your technology is old. There's nothing exciting about working for MetLife. They try to have "fun" events, but they really aren't that fun. That brings me to another point. I find it very peculiar that the leader of the program constantly has events at her restaurant. I'm not sure if she is trying to milk us for money to advance her business or trying to get more guest into a terrible restaurant.

Advice to potential candidates- PLEASE do research on this company. Filter the reviews and select Raleigh-Durham area. The leaders and recruiters will try to sell you a false dream of being the next leaders of this company and how you're able to be innovative at MetLife. Please do not believe this. They have a well established old management at MetLife and they are not ready for a fresh prospective. I find it very peculiar, that they think all Millennials are the same. They think we have an attitude of self entitlement. I'm sorry but I had to work really hard in life to get where I am today and I am not or never will look for handouts. I would have definitely chosen Fidelity's program over MetLife's MetTech U program. I had an offer from Fidelity but bought into the false promises MetLife leaders market. I'm basically kicking myself now for my decision. I'm not the only one who feels this way. There are a lot more people in this program who are disappointed. Once the program is over, I'll definitely be looking for employment elsewhere.

Stop marketing MetTech University as a transformational program, when it's a carbon copy of other programs. MetLife is an old insurance company that has old technology and will never be able to compete with Google, Apple, Red Hat, NetApp or Intel. The Raleigh-Durham area is not a very big area and word spreads fast about how bad of a company MetLife really is. I concur with another post, congratulations on being the worst IT company to work for in the area.

No culture feel like I work at a production plant

Current Employee - Annuity Post Issue Representative III in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Annuity Post Issue Representative III in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at MetLife full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Not working in a call center (prior job TIAA-CREF Financial Consultant)

Cons

Management is overwhelmed and only talks to you when you do something wrong, there is no culture in the charlotte retail office just bodies working. There is always constant change during the week. Upper management watches you during the day like you are at a detention center. Looking to leave

Pay your employees what they are worth. Provide Employee Rewards and Recognition. Plan events and parties to develop happier employees. Provide all feedback including positive feedback

Very disappointing tenure with this company.

Current Employee - Underwriter in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Underwriter in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at MetLife full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible work arrangements were nice

Cons

Company values and leadership both were horrible! Too much office politics in play which meant that only certain persons received all the advancement opportunities.

Really Terrible

I have been working at MetLife full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very few. There may be departments that are pleasant. I have not encountered those in my years at Met. The nice members of the organization are the older lifers who do not realize how bad it has become since they started in the 70's.

Cons

Political. Petty. Disengaged management.

MetLife IT Risk & Security at Raleigh GTO does need to change the people and culture.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at MetLife full-time (less than an year)

Pros

1. A married couple can work in the same department under the same CISO on the same floor. They smooch and eat breakfast and lunch together at work while sharing the team information. Some of us are annoyed. However, some of the middle management is protective to allow it. Those folks were forced to move to Raleigh together and many of the new employees at Raleigh do not know this.
    2. The old timers who were forced to moved to Raleigh, cannot accept new Raleigh GTO culture which have been established and executed by the new employees at Raleigh GTO where 90% of the folks were hired from outside because of the restructuring. They protect each other instead of admitting the current IT compliance failure. They do not assure anything including SOX IT.
    3. Even if the folks do not have an IT Audit experience, they are certified as a CISA (Certified Information Systems Auditor). The management seems to allow forging the paperwork. ISACA needs to audit the validity.
    4. During a conference call, we hear a wife and kids scream. So, MetLife allows it. So, the culture is laid back.

Cons

1. The new people do not like the old culture and know the failure, but the old timer middle management does not admit the failure and just keep hiring outside consultants to fix the problems. The CISO and the middle management who came from outside know the deficiencies. The new people who work for the middle management who came from outside, seem to be happier, they are much energized, and those teams are extending to revitalize the new IT Risk & Security.
    2. The people who work at MetLife IT Risk & Security longer than 10 years and cannot assure any compliance including SOX IT, should be out. The only thing which the middle mgmt. does is to keep hiring outside consultants to cover up. It is very costly. Paying for more than million dollars for consulting fees, tool license fees, and tool maintenance fees does currently not assure anything.

1. Under the new people and new CISO, the IT Risk & Security needs to be refreshed and start over from the ground. If they cannot comply with SOX IT, there is no way they can comply with other compliance. The old-timer middle management who failed to assure the basic IT compliance, cannot accept the new people's opinions, keep protecting the old timers, and think they are the best, need to be out from a new MetLife GTO. We request the new CISO to recognize the issues and request a reorganization to refresh the current IT Risk & Security department. That is why some folks including myself are leaving the GTO. It is tough to change contrary to what we were told as long as we keep those middle management and old-timers who are cozy with the old culture and protect those folks.

Worst job of my entire career

Former Employee - Senior Project Lead in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Project Lead in Durham, NC

I worked at MetLife full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I got paid regularly, benefits (insurance kicks in 1st of the month after at least 30 days, 401k match after 1 yr of service, pension plan vests after 3 yrs of service), 19 days of PTO.

However, I've had more of everything at my other companies so these pros are negated when weighed in with the cons.

Cons

So many. Let me try to hit the "high" points, as a Senior Project Lead, all I did was attend meetings & schedule meetings- lunch meetings & 5PM meetings were the norm. Oh and take notes. Oh and order lunch. Oh and manage invite responses to meetings. Oh and track attendance during meetings. Oh and reschedule/renegotiate meetings because 1 of the 60 people invited can't attend or someone higher up wanted the room I booked months earlier for their meeting a week before. Wait a minute... Why was my PMP relevant for this role again?!

Layoffs were all over the place in the north so nobody know what they are doing as there were no trainers. Long-term employees were kept hanging about their job status and weren't motivated to help new employees coming in who are replacing them and I don't blame them!

Management kept asking for feedback on how everything was going but our feedback would get turned around on us and nothing would be done.

Worst of all was my immediate (MICRO)manager, who should never have been given an opportunity to people manage. I asked for assistance to schedule/coordinate a 3 day meeting as I was already working late daily and that week was especially busy so was working even later and got told that "he didn't hear anyone else complaining." When employees ask for support, a good manager should provide more than a flippant caustic remark!

I tell anyone who tells me that they are job hunting to avoid this company unless they just need a job and if they do just need a job to keep looking! There are plenty of jobs in the RTP area - AVOID THIS PLACE! My new job is fulfilling, my manager supportive, and my teammates are happy and helpful - jobs like these exist! Don't feel stuck taking a job here!

Helllloooo- all you have to do is filter for Raleigh, NC reviews on here to see all the bad reviews. Quit turning feedback around and admit fault and take action!