MetLife

3.1
1,027 Reviews

MetLife President & CEO Steven A. Kandarian
Steven A. Kandarian

Pros
  • The work life balance is a plus; especially for working professionals with families (in 120 reviews)

• MetLife has great benefits and different positions in different departments (in 74 reviews)

Cons
  • Some of the supervisors don't allow flexibility as far as work-life balance (in 29 reviews)

• Senior management inner circle that does not include front line management input or feedback (in 36 reviews)

More Highlights

5 years, lots of change, but none of it seems to be for the better.

Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at MetLife

Pros

Great flexibility in ability to work in the office or at home (not applicable in all depts). Many truly great, smart peers to work with.

Cons

Elitism can sometimes run rampant.

Some very (very) dumb ppl have kept their jobs for way longer than they should.

Anything takes forEVER... too many hands in the decision-making pot / layers of bureaucracy.

Oh, and we're "upgrading" to IE 7 (released in 2006), so most the websites you try and visit won't work.

Reduce your dependence on non-employees and stop giving the same tired excuse that "we can't add to headcount because the budget is flat". I heard that for 5 years, and then we fired 5 grade 30 employees and magically replaced them a year later with 5 AVPs. (And spent millions in search firm fees to find them.) The new VP that replaced the old one is also a grade level higher. Another long-time AVP was replaced with a VP. Meanwhile, we've had 75% turnover in the past 6 months. And no one's bothering to do exit interviews.

Ensure individual contributors doing the grunt work have a voice. We are simply NEVER heard at your high-level meetings and as a result, you make terrible decisions.

Embrace change and maybe try to not take years and years to make a decision.

Calculate the opportunity cost of the self-service HR model.

The newly-released company "Values" and Employee Value Proposition are not reflected in your actions.

Don't let your mind run away with high expectations

Current Employee - GTO in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - GTO in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at MetLife full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly co-workers
    No real barriers to interaction with management; senior level leaders are approachable
    Your job will be what you make it
    There is a vision for future IT improvements that is communicated regularly
    Good work environment and social networks

Cons

Self-service culture often means having to learn by trial and error - causes frustration among new hires
    Self service can also extend to departmental framework: what is your purpose and what are you supposed to be doing? You need to work this out for yourself.
    Employee rating system - you won't be rated on your own merits - you will be rated against your peers
    Antiquated technology and systems often lead to "break-downs"
    MetLife has been very focused on acquisitions and has not devoted enough time to smoothing out the glitches for current core business
    High unrealistic expectations for new hires who have had no knowledge transfers or handovers of work; no documentation so that you can research this yourself
    Expectation that you will work more than 40 hrs a week and weekends when needed with no overtime pay or comp time
    Lower than standard pay for positions due to geographical location makes MetLife non-competitive
    Important information not communicated during the hiring process

While there are times a sink or swim environment can be good and lead to some innovation, most people are going to find this frustrating, especially when a new hire. If you want things done the "MetLife way," it needs to be taught and communicated. By letting so many knowledgeable people go, this opportunity was lost and many people are fumbling in the dark, trying to figure out what will make them valuable. No one goes to work wondering how they can screw up that day and annoy someone - but unfortunately, that is often the repercussion when you do not provide the right framework needed for employees to do a good job.

Good Company

Current Employee - Technical Stuff in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Technical Stuff in New York, NY

I have been working at MetLife full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good Company, training and well balanced work life

Cons

PTO policy is liberal afetr maintaining client support (quite logical)

Decision makers should consider discussing with technical professionals

Mixed Bag

Former Employee - Internal Wholesaler in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Internal Wholesaler in Charlotte, NC

I worked at MetLife

Pros

In 2013 MetLife consolidated it’s retail operations from NJ, Conn, and Cali into Charlotte NC. A headhunter convinced me to talk to the hiring managers. The recruiting pitch was simple. Build a fortune 500 company back to prominence. Be apart of something unique after all how many times do you get to build a large company from scratch back up. Second rebuild the culture. Third movement within the company and pay raises should come after 12 months. Lastly, open communication between management and staff.

That attitude lasted 6 months. After that it was time to go back to what was being done before. sit down do your work don’t ask questions, the promotions and pay raises have been freeze due to lack of budget. Which is due to lack of sales. Don’t get me wrong the potential is still there but the reality is they over hired and hired over qualified people for positions and over promised the potential. What you have now is unsatisfied staff and an under preforming company. If you are patient and network really well all will be fine. If not, you better love your job and be the type to never ask questions.

Cons

Culture, no communication between staff and managers. Over promise under deliver.

Stop making changes, hire better management. Stick to a strategy.

Sr. Sales and Compensation Payment Specialist

I worked at MetLife

Pros

Good place to work provided training for products knowledge.

Cons

Relocation of US Retail Business units to NC, did not offer current employees new jobs at other locations within same state.

Positive learning experience

Former Employee - Office Administrative in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Office Administrative in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at MetLife part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great work environment, learned to work as a team.

Cons

Competitive nature and high turn over rate.

Metlife

Current Employee - Underwriting Analyst in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Underwriting Analyst in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at MetLife full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This group is awesome for someone with a family. MetLife honors the work/life balance. Friendly co-workers.

Cons

For the role of Analyst the pay is not sufficient to the amount of work one has to do in this role. When they call and offer you a job and inform you of the salary, any amount of money out of college sounds amazing. Training is 6 weeks or longer. During training its very easy and one would think that the amount of pay this is extremely easy, I landed a "cushion" job. When training is over reality kicks in, but thats if you make it through the training program. Although the training days may seem easy, if one does not pay attention you will find yourself without a job. They say that 25% will not make it through the program, which has proven true time and time again. The overall turnover rate for this position is extremely high because management creates a perfect picture during interviews. The culture in this office is awful because in order to get promoted out of this role you have to know how to play office politics. If your manager doe snot like you, you will not get a promotion. There is a yearly exam that you have to pass in order to be considered for a promotion and also to advance in other roles.

Management please understand that you are managing the most important resource within any organization, human resources. Knowing how to properly manage people will take your management career to the next level. Showing favoritism when determining promotions and future advancement in the company is not the proper way to manage. As a manager you have the obligation to promote the best person for the job not the person who you have a sports conversation with, or smoke a cigarette with. I have witnessed talent passed just because the manager did not like a person. Management please learn how to include all individuals on your team, not just the ones that you really like. Believe it or not people notice and at that point you are considered a horrible person and upper management mad the wrong choice to promote. You are not management material because you are managing for your personal gain not the overall company's gain.

Amazing company. Low salaries, but easy hours. Like a family.

Former Employee - Actuarial Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Actuarial Associate in New York, NY

I worked at MetLife full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Family environment, flexible hours, low attrition

Cons

tough to rise, lower salaries

Best management out there. Keep up the good work.

Change is underway but still needs to be managed

I have been working at MetLife full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The change that the Global Technology Organization is going through is tremendous, and so are the opportunities to do great things. I think the leadership really wants MetLife in Raleigh to become an employer of choice for the area, and they certainly have the potential and momentum to do so.

Cons

Where I think they are missing the mark is in providing those opportunities that will differentiate MetLife from all the other IT shops in the area... to make it a destination company as opposed to a stepping stone. Right now, employees are working long hours without any insight into future career paths or avenues move up the chain. Until that happens, MetLife will continue to be just another IT shop.

While the current development planning is underway, there really doesn't seem to be any visibility to what jobs are available in Raleigh. Our current recruiting is not very good for external candidates or internal candidates. I can apply for an open position, but I never hear anything from anyone, so I don't know if I'm even being considered. We still have a lot of work to do and a long way to go before we can consider ourselves a best in class company.

Job Review

Current Employee - Director in Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Director in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at MetLife full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good People to work with

Cons

Lot of jobs moving south