MetLife

www.metlife.com
Employer Engaged

Great place to work

Pros

Benefits
    Room for growth
    Professional develoment
    Diverse duties
    Recognition for good work

Cons

More consistency in working from home during snow storms
    Better and up to date technology
    Monitoring of phone usage
    Handing of escalated issues
    Peer reviews

Very professional, fair, motivating

Do Not work in Retail Retirement & Wealth Solutions

I have been working at MetLife full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you enjoy being talked down to in a condescending manner, you will enjoy the TownHall meetings where the senior managers gloat and pat themselves on the back while simultaneously pointing out the flaws they see in the employees working for them. If you enjoy being treated like a child, you will enjoy these meetings.

If you enjoy a competitive environment, MetLife is for you. Senior Management has the mentality of "us versus them" when dealing with employees, so you will be competing against senior management, not working with them. Senior management will put out vague goals and guidelines and then sit back and say "ok now its up to you to get us there." While the lower level employees are busy doing the work, management finds any excuse possible to not actually be in the office.

If you enjoy living vicariously through others, MetLife is for you. Senior Leadership will go on retreats, often on a quarterly basis, to lavish resorts such as the Fontainebleau in Miami. They will then broadcast townhalls from these locations via webcast to the employees chained to their desks back at home office, talking and laughing about the great weather and the great work they see themselves doing.

If you enjoy hearing empty promises, MetLife is for you. After senior leaders come back from these lavish offsites, they will host meetings with their subordinates to brag about what they learned and how impactful and energizing their offsite meetings were. They are completely tone deaf and oblivious to how this comes across to their subordinates. The information they learn always consists of "business 101" catch-phrases like "learning to trust others" and "put the customer first." Occasionally they will ask you, rhetorically, what resources you need to do your job and then promise to get those resources. But they never come.

For actual pros - the benefits are good, medical, dental, 401k match, etc. are all good. MetLife's name is recognized across the US.

Cons

The company values and promotes based on cronyism and nepotism over merit. The technology is 10 years old. Computers are slow, servers are slow. It's unfortunate because MetLife has so much potential but senior leaders just do not value their employees highly. They prefer to manage from a distance (often an ivory tower located off of Miami Beach).

You are completely tone deaf and oblivious to the needs of your employees. Get out of your comfort zone and go meet with employees - there are a lot of smart people with good ideas and good feedback for how to change the system - you just need to talk to them. Also, there is a massive disparity between those in Charlotte and those not in Charlotte - address this immediately.

Stay away unless you're doing a class project

Former Employee - Investments in Morristown, NJ
    Former Employee - Investments in Morristown, NJ

I worked at MetLife

Pros

Big name in insurance. Leaders of the past are well regarded. They have a blimp.

Cons

Work / life balance is a sham.
    If upper management asks your opinion, wait until they give it to you .
    It is the worst company I ever worked for, or even heard of.
    Office is dirty and disgusting.

It's just a matter of time. You cannot continue to fire whistle blowers. Or fire people before their seven year vesting to save money. Or allow managers to lie on reviews. Relocating your horde to Charlotte is not the solution - those people are honest in the south - try Calcutta where corruption is the norm. And why is a portfolio manager running an Insurance company?

Think twice about working as a Financial Advisor at MetLife

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in New York, NY

I have been working at MetLife full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Brand recognition, flexible hours, operating as if you run your own business.

Cons

Stressful work environment, operations is stuck in the stone ages in comparison to other financial firms and no support to help you succeed. You most likely will get put with a team where a senior team leader "helps" you get your foot in the door but really is just looking to rip you off. They most likely will give you leads where you have to do all the work and they take a big portion of the commission for the hard work you are doing. In terms of the products met offers you will have to sell a lot of insurance and annuities or you will not succeed - most likely in a unsuitable fashion for your clients. You will be pressured to sell insurance as a investment product when in many cases it is not the right thing to do. Lastly MetLife will make drastic changes every time their stock price drops (ie changing commission payout rates, getting rid of emphasis on investment planning, firing salaried employees to cut costs and focusing on products that make MetLife money regardless of what is right for the client)

MetLife has good insurance products, but most likely would have a better reputation if they just outsourced their products to banks and wire houses instead of having financial advisors at MetLife.

great company, great people,

I have been working at MetLife

Pros

potential opportunity to grow, great office culture

Cons

low pay at the beginning

Not the nicest people to work with

I worked at MetLife

Pros

Good pay, Work life balance

Cons

Promotions are on a friendship basis - not the most qualified

Disorganized and Disconnected Management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I worked at MetLife full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits. Shiny new building. A number of passionate employees who take time out of their busy schedules to try to foster a team environment.

Cons

Some managers, particularly at the VP level, are so concerned about pleasing those above them that they are tremendously disconnected from what is going on underneath them. They make snap judgment calls with limited information gathered from a few of their loyal foot soldiers. This leads to poor decision making and a highly politicized environment. New employees into the company have not been integrated
    For me personally I've never worked for a company so disorganized. The workloads were so inconsistent from employee to employee yet no one ever bothered to consider reorganizing this leaving some employees stressed and others twiddling their thumbs all day. Meetings were plentiful but little was accomplished. Communication was inconsistent and in some cases discouraged. Some people were in the loop and always knew what was going on while others would find out about key changes affecting them secondhand. In my entire time at Met there rarely any discussion of career path. When I brought up my concerns about the future the question was always deflected to focus on the short term. I had reach out to people outside my department for guidance and to find anyone other than some colleagues who actually seemed to give a damn about my personal growth and development.
    While not all at Met are probably as dissatisfied as I was, nothing I've said is an exaggeration of my experience. I left work most days feeling more disillusioned and confused than the previous day. At orientation they made Met seemed like this great dynamic company to work for. They say that "People matter" but it became apparent that only a select group of predetermined people matter. These people could blatantly act in ways that directly went against company core values (ex. curse out other employees in public) whereas everyone else was expected to be model citizens. If anyone is reading this and considering joining MetLife I would say don't join unless you're someone very adept at making political allies within the company. If you don't have those allies you'll likely get lost in the shuffle as I did.

Hire office managers since VPs clearly are too busy to handle day to day problems. Consider replacing or reassigning long-time managers who are clinging to the status quo rather than embracing the new culture you're trying to create. Have on-site HR since trying to resolve some problems over the phone isn't working. Lastly acknowledge that everything isn't perfect just because there are a few success stories. Even top notch companies will admit there is still room for improvement. The mentality at Met was that management could do no wrong and if you were unhappy it must be because you were doing something wrong.

Lots of change going on but still some of the same old, same old

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at MetLife full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good work/life balance
    Coworkers act professionally - I haven't experienced much in the way of backstabbing or gossiping coworkers (mainly because it seems like they are just too busy working)

Cons

Hard to advance
    Rating system - despite management saying forced ranking was going away it still exists
    IT jobs have been moving to Raleigh since 2013 to save money. The process included eliminating and downgrading jobs. Some people were able to transfer to Raleigh and keep their job grade level however for those being downgraded people in those positions were told this before the job posted so it wasn't worth posting - even if they were interested. Management decided to downgrade positions held by people who they thought wouldn't go anyway - how would they know, it appears it was more like "we don't want you anymore". Anyway, with all the money they're saving with eliminations and job downgrades, it's nice to know some of the officers got promoted recently (AVP to VP, some from VP to SVP) which probably got them nice raises.
    Met has also recently gotten a SIFI designation which they're fighting, if it sticks they have to set aside more money in the event of a financial crisis. This might affect how much money they're willing to award to average performers for raises and bonuses (the outstanding performers always get taken care of so if you're one of them you have nothing to worry about)
    With the transition of positions to Raleigh, some management has left for other companies or retired. Others transferred to Raleigh along their baggage. Beware of this, some new management (like mine) is new and drinks the 'new' Met 'kool-aid' and want to change things but in some cases old management stands in their way. One wonders how much is actually going to change.
    Met IT is trying to sell themselves as a technology company - they are never going to be that, they're always going to be an insurance company. They're slow to adapt new technologies - the transition to Windows 7 was completed at the end of 2014, the standard browser is IE8, we're supposed to move to IE11 this year or so they say.

Ensure the change you say is going to take place happens. Make people accountable for what they say they're going to do.

Good company

Former Employee - Mortgage Loan Specialist in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Mortgage Loan Specialist in Waltham, MA

I worked at MetLife full-time (more than a year)

Pros

MetLife was a good company that provided me with ample training in order to succeed. I enjoyed my time there. The job was fast paced and sometimes required extended hours but people I worked with made it worth the extra time.

Cons

The company went out of business.

MetLife Architecture group

Former Employee - Information Systems Consultant in Somerset, NJ
    Former Employee - Information Systems Consultant in Somerset, NJ

I worked at MetLife

Pros

good benefits. Work life balance is good.

Cons

No direction from upper management.
    Very slow in taking decisions
    Implementation take a lot of time.

Please give good directions and give us a big picture.