MetLife

MetLife Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

MetLife President & CEO Steven A. Kandarian

Steven A. Kandarian

Pros
  • Flexible work arrangements and very good company for work life balance (in 104 reviews)

• MetLife has great benefits and different positions in different departments (in 74 reviews)

Cons
  • Some of the supervisors don't allow flexibility as far as work-life balance (in 21 reviews)

• Lack of visibility to senior management as to who is doing the actual job (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

Possible to build a career and stay for the long term

Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) Warwick, RI

ProsSolid pay and benefits package. For young talent, there are great opportunities for exposure to senior leadership, of you push yourself and show initiative.

ConsAs others mentioned, some departments are top-heavy and it is a very bureaucratic system, which makes getting a project done, no matter how small, a huge undertaking. IT systems are very slow and outdated, but there are never enough resources to update.

Good Company on the rise.

STD Claims Specialist (Former Employee) Alpharetta, GA

ProsGreat company to work for and had a good office location.

ConsThe particular office I worked at had an issue with motivation from time to time. It wasn't as bad a I had experienced from other companies but not the worse either.

Advice to Senior ManagementHad a manager that was an introvert and needed to approach her than she approach you. That was a turnoff.

A view from the field

Financial Services Representative (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsHistory, brand, reputation, products, providing a comprehensive one-stop solution for clients.

ConsTechnology needs to be updated. Executive management has placed to much focus on the bottom line and no emphasis on driving top line numbers. Expense cuts have drastically reduced our infrastructure and support.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake better care of the field. Invest some of the savings from redundant expenses and put it back into the filed and sales support.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Going in wrong direction

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits, 401k and work/life balance.

ConsI was forced out, ignored and discarded. No offer was ever extended or even mentioned to me to relocate to NC. I wasn't part of the in-crowd. You're either in or you're not and there's no hope for you if you're not. I kept my head down and did my job to stay employed. When NC was announced, management rubbed their hands together to choose who would come along. No amount of experience or knowledge could save you from the chopping block. Some sold their souls to join up. Currently, associates who weren't chosen for the move are being wooed to come back and relocate to NC. What does that tell you?

Advice to Senior ManagementYour current leadership's arrogance and disconnect from employees is a ticking time bomb. Giving up experienced and knowledgeable staff to relocate to NC and hiring inexperienced staff for cost savings has been an enormous and costly failure. No sales, no products, bad leadership and inexperienced staff, what else do you need for a disaster? Clean house and replace leadership from executive to management level, then start over. You've positioned the organization for acquisition, whether planned or not. Good Luck.

OMG. Claiming to be in technolgy at Met is like a galley slave claiming to be a sailor

Programmer (Former Employee) Morristown, NJ

ProsNo thinking needed or wanted by managment

ConsIT management is grossly incompetent, dishonest and trivial. The people doing the work never get credit. IT creates, then amplifies small issues into big ones, then rides to the “rescue” . If you got a big problem, first question is gonna be, “is the work in the budget?” Ugh! It’s just crazy what IT does because they have no clue what to do.

IT management’s catch phrase is “at the end of the day we work for the business”. By end of the day they must mean 4:59 PM. Don’t dare help the users if you want to keep working there. Much better to tell the Emperor they have “nice clothes”. Management not interested in the truth. Management is interested in running up bar tabs.

NJ jobs are either going to NC, or to India. Met would rather have the "cheap and cluelss" rather than the skilled.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think a new batch of recent Morgan layoffs are looking. Time to laod up again!

Decent place to work

Operations Analyst (Current Employee) Troy, NY

ProsPersonal life issues are usually worked around even on a last minute basis. Most the people I work with are great to work with.

ConsOut-sourced personnel with high turnover rate that can drive you nuts. Focus on the wrong issues (ticket priority instead of actually caring about whether an issue is being worked on).

Advice to Senior ManagementAvoid Nepotism.

MetLife is a great company with excellent employees

Financial Analyst (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsSalary, Flexibility, Tuition Reimbursement, Annual Bonus, Great Work-Life Balance, Good amount of PTO

ConsTough to define my career growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp your employees pave out a career plan and offer more growth opportunities.

Where people go to be put out to pasture... Seriously AVOID at all costs if you are under the age of 55.

Analyst (Former Employee) Morristown, NJ

ProsPerfect If you are ready to retire and want to die slowly and painfully or if you like an environment that is akin to a basement with no lights and very little social interaction.

ConsI dont know where to start. Hands down the absolute worst place I have ever been. Lets start with the MetLife culture. Everyone knows when you first start a job you are reserved and cautious how you act to your new fellow employees. Then you open up and show your personality when you are comfortable. Well at Metlife the Culture is that awkwardness of your first day of work EVERY SINGLE DAY. No one looks at you in the eyes when walking by in the halls. Everyone purposely avoids each other to avoid any social interaction. And you have to pay for instant coffee, gym and expensive cafeteria prices.

Now on to the jobs. Lets start with their trading group. First off its an insurance company so no making profits on their trading desks (Its a cost center rather than a profit center) Old antiquated systems with software integration that doesnt work. Their trade booking and operations platform is hilariously cumbersome with only 2 people in both of trading and ops that knows how it works. Couple that with a unbelievably O.C.D helicopter manager and you have a recipe for procedures that are redundant 4 times over. Now i guess the reason that is needed because you only work 4 months out of the year. Seriously there are weeks where you can just sit there and do nothing and that ok.. because there is no meaningful stuff to do there. The work is garbage and meaningless and the fellow employees are just plain disgusting/horrible with no personalities. I am surprise they work on a trading floor as they deserve to be put in a windowless room in the basement to never be heard from again.

Investments- If you are a research analyst in the investments group you can not escape from the bs either. No recognition, ridiculous timelines and requests. No one is happy no one is learning anything usefull. Everyone is constantly talking about leaving and openly looking for other jobs.

The funny thing is that in this group and in trading everyone is from UPENN and Georgetown all very great schools. Metlife thinks they can attract "great talent" in reality its desperate talent. The only reason any of the students work at metlife is because we are in the recession and everyone is desperate for a job. Because of that 95% of the analyst class leaves in less than 2 years!!! That is an insane turnover rate for such a "World Class" organization. Oh yeah MetLife has an analyst "Program" that lasts 4 years.. once the 4 years is up you are out.. they havent changed that in years because they have noticed that everyone leaves at the 2 year mark... No!!?? really?! You mean to tell me you hire exceptional talent, bring them on and provide absolutely ZERO room for growth and everyone leaves??? I am shocked!

Lower management - If you are part of management and you dont have an actual office you will get a promotion once everyone 10 years if you are lucky. Learn to play politics cause apparently with no work to do you have alot of time to practice your back stabbing skills.

Upper Management is a joke here - half the guys are MetLifers (Poor souls) and the others are from the street where they could no longer succeed and need a place to plug their deflating ego.

It is incredible how this place is still in business. They are resting on their size and there is no other reason why they are still around.

I can go on and on about this but I believe this review and every other review that has some detail paints a fairly consistent picture. Unless you are absolutely desperate do not work here. IF you do then keep applying to jobs else where from day one.

I am going to end on this note: When EVERY company wide MANAGER MEETING starts with your guest speaker (current manager) saying " When I first started at MetLife I didnt think I was going to be here for this long.." you have a serious serious problem. I heard 4 different Senior management start their speeches that way. Seriously??? Even they cant believe they got trapped at such a company for so long.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring outside people. If you want to grow the company and give employees some pride promote within. Morale is non existent since no promotions are given to anyone and anyone from an outside company comes in at high management positions.

Also, PAY a livable nyc wage.

Solid company, big bureaucracy, requires much patience

Business Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsMetLife is a large organization with tons of resources and with new markets being developed regularly. There are opportunities for moving about the company if one so desires. The salespeople and account managers are very sharp. The products are well recognized in the marketplace, and the clients are generally satisfied.

There is always lots of work to be done, and I can't say that I was ever bored for even a minute while working there. I had a fair amount of leeway in the assignments that I undertook, which gave me multiple chances to work on things that I found interesting.

Most of my coworkers were friendly and helpful, and I made a number of good friends in my time there.

I had a good run during my 10 years as a Met associate, and I learned a great deal about dealing with big organizations and a variety of different managerial personalities. I learned lots of things there that will serve me well in my next job, and the name MetLife looks pretty darn good on a resume.

ConsEvery company has its cons, with MetLife being no exception. Met is a stodgy behemoth that is slow to make decisions. Many departments and managers are married to outdated processes. Projects and even relatively mundane tasks often involve steps that are unnecessary and add no value. A "we've always done it this way" attitude is pervasive throughout the company, even amongst the rank and file associates. In many ways, Met simply can't seem to get out of its own way.

Mid-level and senior managers are often not held accountable for mistakes, since a failed $300k project can easily be absorbed by a company whose annual profit measures in the billions. Those same managers then turn around and make similar blunders on other projects.

The company is very siloed, and networking opportunities are few and far between. Senior management is woefully disconnected from the daily goings-on of the low level workers who shoulder the grunt work. As another commenter mentioned, there is little insight given regarding senior management's way of thinking.

An inside joke is that the company's name is actually MeetLife, since getting anything done requires meeting after meeting after meeting.

Salaries are at best market average; this is done intentionally. When we were acquired from a competitor, Met eliminated our transportation reimbursement, even though our office is located in a commuter town and many of the employees travel a good distance to work. The explanation given was "most places just aren't doing that any more." Complaints over the lowered pay grades of jobs that are being relocated to North Carolina were defended with explanations such as "that is the market rate for that job in the area." Evidently paying competitively for top talent has gone out of style.

Met is currently undergoing a restructuring, and the transitional planning has been poor. I was already looking to move to a new job and was not surprised when my position was eliminated, but I was shocked that it was done with no transition. I ended up leaving with several supposedly important projects up in the air. Former colleagues tell me that they can't work many of the things that I used to do, and one "mission critical" project where I was serving as the project manager is completely dead because the torch wasn't passed to anyone, yet apparently senior management still expects it to be delivered (this makes no sense whatsoever). While I sympathize with the rank and file associates who are now burdened with these problems, I feel vindicated in that I repeatedly complained to senior management that the processes that I supported were never given sufficient financial or personnel backing.

Advice to Senior ManagementDivorce yourselves from policy and from the way things have always been done. Review and update your processes with greater frequency, and eliminate steps that are no longer necessary. Stop taking 10 steps to do things that can be done in only 9 steps, because over time that one irrelevant step creates a ton of accumulated waste. If a step in a process either adds no value or cannot be explained/justified by anyone involved, eliminate it!

Hold everyone accountable for what they spend and for what they request from other service units. Mandate a "lessons learned" review on every project so that the associate who commits an unforced error and causes a six-figure project to fail learns from his or her mistake.

Get rid of the "tell them they can't do that" mindset and replace it with one of "help them figure out how." Tell your IT, vendor management, procurement, and marketing departments that they are support units, not profit centers.

Stop aiming for market average salary and benefits, and start offering packages that will help attract and keep top level talent.

Great company to work for

Project Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

Pros* Flexibility, focus on work/life balance
    * Global opportunities and exposure, for those who are interested
    * Very good benefits comparing to many other large insurance and financial companies
    * Opportunities to move within the company from one department to another

Cons* Org changes create distruction in the day to day operations.

Worked for MetLife? Contribute to the Community!