MetLife Reviews

Updated September 12, 2014
Updated September 12, 2014

MetLife President & CEO Steven A. Kandarian
Steven A. Kandarian

Pros
  • Flexible work arrangements and very good company for work life balance (in 104 reviews)

• MetLife has great benefits and different positions in different departments (in 74 reviews)

Cons
  • Some of the supervisors don't allow flexibility as far as work-life balance (in 21 reviews)

• Lack of visibility to senior management as to who is doing the actual job (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

Treats employees like numbers and not people.

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster  in  Warwick, RI
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Warwick, RI

I worked at MetLife full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Worklife Balance, Good Bonus, Good Benefits, Lower and Mid Level Management were Great

Cons

Upper Management had no care for the well-being of its employees, Everything is about shareholders profit. Claims staff overworked and underpaid with no thank you's from upper level management. They have had multiple series of layoffs over the past few years and have layed off great customer focused employees who couldn't keep up with the volume because they were providing quality customer service. The volume was far too high and the only way you could keep up would be by eliminating superior customer service. Constantly felt like I was just a number to upper management and not a person.

Start treating your employees with dignity and respect. Promote lower level supervisors and managers rather than hire from the outside. Employees feel like they are constantly at risk of losing their job. Employees cannot perform well with that kind of culture. Create an inclusive culture where employees feel valued and want to contibute to the success of the company. You lost an exceptional employee in me when this culture ended.

Internal Wholesaler

Current Employee - Internal Wholesaler I  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Internal Wholesaler I in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at MetLife full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Coworkers that are experienced and dedicated. Nice building to work in and relaxed business casual atmosphere .

Cons

Every hiring manager lied to us about raises and variable compensation .We saved the sales desk Transfers making way more extremely lop sided and a real moral downer .

Tell the Truth the first time. Pay us experienced better than average salary and variable comp. Stop the useless town hall meetings it's bs we don't want to hear and a waste of time. Over deliver on your promises we saved your sales desk .you told us that .

Small/Regional Underwriting

I have been working at MetLife

Pros

Good team and work place environment.

Cons

Management has their select few. The same people will get promoted.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Place to Work

Former Employee - Financial Services Representative  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in Baltimore, MD

I worked at MetLife full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great Products and Company Name

Cons

Can get lost in the shuffle if you are new

Training is fine, but could use training in product presentation to pursue larger sale

Great company overall, just some bad managers

Current Employee - Pension Benefit Consultant  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Pension Benefit Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at MetLife full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great benefits, good people, flexible

Cons

People who are managers who are not qualified and do not have people management skills.
    Growth depends on who you work for, not your work and knowledge.
    Recycling people from one department to another
    Limited growth opportunities in current location
    Employee morale low

Stop making decisions about a person's career among yourselves. Value your employees who work hard with pay level increases, even if there is no position. Open door policy is a joke

You get out what you put in

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative  in  Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at MetLife full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fair compensation, good materials and a national network

Cons

If you don't have a mentor or partner, this is a tough place to work

teaming!

Life of a financial advisor

Current Employee - Financial Advisor  in  Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at MetLife full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent work life balance as you make your own schedule.

Cons

Customers do not always buy.

Give updated leads

Great company

Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative I  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative I in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at MetLife full-time for less than a year

Pros

Metlife is an efficient company who cares about their employees and customers. The trainjng team, benefits, and oayroll department ae awesome snd on top of issues that nay arise.

Cons

They have a lot of systems, but uf one can master them, tgen a grest company to work for.

The training was steady and was able to keep up and learn the material to be better prepared for the job. Advuce for upper management is to keep improving and keep up the good work!!

Toxic Culture, Totally Different Than it Was Portrayed During the Hiring Process

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I worked at MetLife full-time for less than a year

Pros

Working at MetLife gave me a new appreciation for the mature, collaborative cultures inherent in other companies.

Pay was OK for the type of tasks I was assigned

Benefits were OK, but not spectacular

Cons

Much of what I have to say has been shared in other reviews. I was recruited to the company under the promise of working in a startup environment, building the new culture in Charlotte, providing new ideas for products, procedures, etc. and helping to rebuild the U.S. Retail organization. The job I was hired for was pitched as an exciting, multi-faceted role that would make use of my nearly two decades in financial services.

Reality could not have been farther from the truth. Met doesn’t want any advice for improvement, as the people that transferred here from other locations already know everything and do not expect to be challenged in any way. My role consisted of things such as copying/pasting between documents and creating basic spreadsheets and could have been performed by a high schooler a few afternoons a week. Fortunately, I wasn't there long enough for my skills to really regress, but they would have if I would have stayed for any length of time.

There were some good managers there that understood that they looked good when their teams performed and developed their people accordingly. However, for the most part, the low-mid level managers are brand new at managing people, as Met let go of many of their experienced staff as part of their move to North Carolina. The ones that were left either didn’t know how to manage, or they were so arrogant that they weren’t aware that they didn’t know everything. Don’t fall for the “we took the best of the best to NC” line they feed you in interviews, many good people left the company after the move was announced or took severance packages. Many of the ones that were left obtained managerial roles by process of elimination.

Managers treated people that weren't part of the in crowd like imbeciles that couldn’t handle anything other than the simplest tasks, despite years of quantifiable experience to the contrary. It made for entertaining theatrics – the managers were soooooo busy because work couldn’t be delegated to the incompetent subordinates. Some managers wouldn’t even make eye contact, let alone talk to, anyone who wasn’t on or above their level on the org chart.

People were constantly set up by management to “make errors” by scenarios such as doing what they were instructed, only to have managers come back and swear that they never gave such instruction. Pettiness, politics, grandstanding and backstabbing are how one gets ahead there. I know of at least three things my manager looked me in the eye and lied about – I have not had a manager do that since I was a teenage retail clerk.

The culture reminded me of how kids interacted in middle school – you were either part of the in crowd or you weren’t, and forget quality assignments, promotions, or fair performance reviews if you weren’t.

Speaking of performance reviews, Met uses a forced distribution review system, which means that a certain percentage of employees in each department receive unsatisfactory reviews each year, per company policy. This was never relayed to me despite my asking several questions about the review process while I was interviewing. When I questioned this after being hired, I was told that they were thinking about getting rid of this policy at the time that they interviewed me, so they didn’t mention it. It was pretty obvious who in my department was being set up to receive the unsatisfactory reviews.

Many of the transfers seemed to have developed a hobby of pointing out all the ways that the South, and Southerners, are backwards and ignorant. One even started a departmental meeting by telling a story about how backwards everyone here is (the story actually made this person seem like the one who was a bit backwards). As a native Southerner, I am used to hearing things like this and brushing them off, but the way it went on and on and on during my time at Met just became really, really, old and exacerbated the entire situation.

I could go on and on about my time with MetLife. It was one of the worst experiences I have ever had, personally or professionally.

In closing, this company may be worth considering if you fall into one of the following categories:

- You are in the waning years of your career and just need income for a couple of years before you retire
    - You are really good at underhanded office politics and enjoy the type of culture I have described
    - You really hate your current job or are unemployed
    - You just want a job for the paycheck and don’t care about a professional culture or producing quality work

I wish I had known even half of what I was getting into by coming here. I left after a few months, and I wasn’t the first person in my department to leave.

If you are hiring properly, there is no need for a forced distribution review system. Other than that, nothing. No one would listen anyway.

Great people to work for

Current Employee - Complex Claims Examiner Life Insurance
    Current Employee - Complex Claims Examiner Life Insurance

I have been working at MetLife full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The pay is good for the area. Time off is excellent. The work life balance is great. You feel like the managers really care about you.

Cons

The company likes to focus on one thing at a time to the exclusion of all other things. This year it is about customer service.

There should be a larger focus on the company as a whole and trying to fix all area's at the same time instead of focusing on one small area to fix.

Worked for MetLife? Contribute to the Community!