MetLife Reviews

Updated October 23, 2014
Updated October 23, 2014

MetLife President & CEO Steven A. Kandarian
Steven A. Kandarian

Pros
  • The work life balance is a plus; especially for working professionals with families (in 117 reviews)

• MetLife has great benefits and different positions in different departments (in 72 reviews)

Cons
  • Some of the supervisors don't allow flexibility as far as work-life balance (in 26 reviews)

• Lack of visibility to senior management as to who is doing the actual job (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights

Some of the people are fantastic - choose your group carefully

I have been working at MetLife full-time

Pros

tons of opportunity, lots of different kinds of businesses, room to grow, good solid company, good benefits

Cons

politics, favortism, lack of unified culture,

stop creating so many new things, give things a chance to take hold

Interesting ride

Current Employee - New Business Specialist III in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - New Business Specialist III in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at MetLife full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Opportunity for educational and professional growth.

Cons

Very political...it pays to know people in the company in order to get ahead.

Focus on the job/company and not what others are saying/doing. Basically, grow up. This isn't high school.

One very organized and structured company.

I worked at MetLife full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Compensation is good, with more then enough adequate training. Opportunities are there for those who seek it out. Very strong core values.

Cons

Like all larger companies the process can get heavy, and the red tape burdensome.

Focus on the people more than processes and promote more from within.

Great company to work for.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at MetLife full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people are friendly and there are many opportunities to grow. Great compensation and benefit packages. Excellent training.

Cons

It's very political. Like many companies they are closing offices and departments and outsourcing to consultants in order to save money.

More opportunities for growth in lower level jobs.

Phone center is just like the rest

Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in West Des Moines, IA

I have been working at MetLife full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

401k, benefits, work life balance

Cons

Tough to move on with career

Loosen up

A great career where I acquire a lot of information

Former Employee - Senior Business Consultant in Somerset, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Business Consultant in Somerset, NJ

I worked at MetLife full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

A good company for working mom and provides great benefit

Cons

New management lacks the expertise to manage

Consider hiring manager with better management and people skills

great place to be

Former Employee - Law Clerk in Morristown, NJ
    Former Employee - Law Clerk in Morristown, NJ

I worked at MetLife as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

A lot of nice people- I was in Morristown location, awesome cafeteria, gym!

Cons

parking and no free coffee-lol

Worst job of my entire career

Former Employee - Senior Project Lead in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Project Lead in Durham, NC

I worked at MetLife full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I got paid regularly, benefits (insurance kicks in 1st of the month after at least 30 days, 401k match after 1 yr of service, pension plan vests after 3 yrs of service), 19 days of PTO.

However, I've had more of everything at my other companies so these pros are negated when weighed in with the cons.

Cons

So many. Let me try to hit the "high" points, as a Senior Project Lead, all I did was attend meetings & schedule meetings- lunch meetings & 5PM meetings were the norm. Oh and take notes. Oh and order lunch. Oh and manage invite responses to meetings. Oh and track attendance during meetings. Oh and reschedule/renegotiate meetings because 1 of the 60 people invited can't attend or someone higher up wanted the room I booked months earlier for their meeting a week before. Wait a minute... Why was my PMP relevant for this role again?!

Layoffs were all over the place in the north so nobody know what they are doing as there were no trainers. Long-term employees were kept hanging about their job status and weren't motivated to help new employees coming in who are replacing them and I don't blame them!

Management kept asking for feedback on how everything was going but our feedback would get turned around on us and nothing would be done.

Worst of all was my immediate (MICRO)manager, who should never have been given an opportunity to people manage. I asked for assistance to schedule/coordinate a 3 day meeting as I was already working late daily and that week was especially busy so was working even later and got told that "he didn't hear anyone else complaining." When employees ask for support, a good manager should provide more than a flippant caustic remark!

I tell anyone who tells me that they are job hunting to avoid this company unless they just need a job and if they do just need a job to keep looking! There are plenty of jobs in the RTP area - AVOID THIS PLACE! My new job is fulfilling, my manager supportive, and my teammates are happy and helpful - jobs like these exist! Don't feel stuck taking a job here!

Helllloooo- all you have to do is filter for Raleigh, NC reviews on here to see all the bad reviews. Quit turning feedback around and admit fault and take action!

Horrible Management and Technology

Current Employee - Director in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Director in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at MetLife full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I did meet some good people.

Cons

To concur with another post - total bait and switch on the job. I was hired for one job and given another. I left a good job thinking I was going to a great job and now have the worst job of my career. My management never attempted or had any intention of having me perform the job I was hired for. I was doing something that vaguely resembled the job I was hired for. Then without discussing it with me, they moved into something completely different. I was told I had to do it. I have never been moved into different positions, much less completely different ones, without having a discussion with my manager. At MetLife, I was told. There was no discussion. It was apparent to me that my career goals mean nothing to the management.

The technology is very old. You will not be learning anything new. They just recently got wireless. People still come to meetings with no laptops, printed presentation and don't collaborate online. The Blackberry I was issued is such an old style, I thought it was a joke. When you start working, your manager has to call the Timekeeper to get your PTO entered into the system. There is no Oracle or SAP that automatically does it. Departments actually have a timekeeper. It is all old technology. When they do get something new, most of the cool features are disabled. To put it in perspective, you will be bringing them out of the dinosaur age into the stone age. Forget new.

Silos would be an improvement because they have fiefdoms. There are times I feel one manager or executive is sabotaging another. They don't try to excel but make the others look bad. As soon as you realize your management doesn't want to help anyone else and they certainly don't want you to, it will get easier. It is amazing they will do so much to promote themselves and expect employees to just be happy with having a job.

Management is very formal and hierarchical. They really don't want your suggestions. Don't believe the transparency story. When you are transparent and tell your manager what you think, it will not be well received. Although, no one will tell you that. Management is extremely passive aggressive. You won't get direct or honest feedback. You will get moved around and cut out of work without anyone telling you why.

There is nothing about the management that is tech culture. No one in management even understands what it is. They all come from insurance and banking. What you are getting is old insurance trying to be current banking. Issues are discussed over and over and over with no resolution. They move the issue around because no one wants to accept risk. Simple issues will be made complicated because they can handle and solve that. Complex problems will be ignored. Lots of consultants. Unlike other companies, the employees work for consultants.

Your senior management team is bad. Stop sending them to special summits and leadership trainings. They come back tan, rested and just as useless as before. Make them accountable for executing change and effectively managing people. Also, they should all have to read Employee Engagement for Dummies. You can have a million Snoopy Socials but good employees won't be happy having their good work ideas ignored.

You have hired employees with expertise and don't listen to them but you do listen to consultants. You do everything the consultants tell you to no matter how bad the advice is. The employees don't have an equal voice. How can you say you are building a transparent empowered culture when you listen to expensive consultants that have a vested interested in making employees look ineffective? If you really are serious about changing - eat your own dogfood. Get rid of the consultants and listen to your employees.

When you advertise a certain culture and hire people for jobs that don't exist - these are broken promises. You don't keep your promises to employees. Congratulations on being the new worst tech employer in Raleigh. This area is not that big. You have a bad reputation.

Technology

Current Employee - Technology Specialist in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Technology Specialist in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at MetLife full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent environment. Great People. Really enjoy the firm I work for

Cons

Technology people are not treated as such and lots of outsorcing for the network people at the moment.