MetLife

3.1
1,032 Reviews

MetLife President & CEO Steven A. Kandarian
Steven A. Kandarian

Pros
  • The work life balance is a plus; especially for working professionals with families (in 120 reviews)

• MetLife has great benefits and different positions in different departments (in 74 reviews)

Cons
  • Some of the supervisors don't allow flexibility as far as work-life balance (in 29 reviews)

• Senior management inner circle that does not include front line management input or feedback (in 36 reviews)

More Highlights

Products-Critical Illness Dept.

Former Employee - Claim Adjuster in Bridgewater, NJ
    Former Employee - Claim Adjuster in Bridgewater, NJ

I worked at MetLife full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good environment, met some nice people

Cons

They treat temps like garbage. If you are a temp and work with the team and critical illness just don't get too comfortable. The two nurses are miserable and the manager is very passive and is the henchman for the two miserable nurses,

Treat temporary workers with respect, don't setup up and look for reasons to send them packing just because you can.

Prepare to be micromanaged.

Current Employee - Disability Claims Specialist
    Current Employee - Disability Claims Specialist

I have been working at MetLife full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Decent pay. Consistent annual bonus. Flexible work arrangements with part- time telecommuting. Rock solid company.

Cons

Micromanagement of every-day decisions has gotten out of control.
    Constant, revolving door changing of processes. "Too much A, Not enough B. Now too much B, and Not enough A." Over and over and over, year after year.
    Management preaches independent decision making, but then requires constant justification of minutiae.
    Too many decisions based on assumptions rather than thorough analysis of data.

Practice what you preach.
    Get more input from the front lines.
    Create better solutions by better analyzing data rather than making assumptions.

Financial Services Representative

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at MetLife full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You make your own schedule

Cons

Unless you are already an established advisor and have a book of business, it is very difficult to succeed. They churn through a lot of new hires. They make you bring in clients and hold your commission for 6 months. Then only pay you a percentage after 6 months, and finally, they keep your clients if you leave.

Management states that they are there to help you and they want you to succeed but the only advice they give you is to cold call.

Many years of quality followed by a few years of disappointment

Former Employee - Short Term Disability/FMLA Unit Leader in Mount Prospect, IL
    Former Employee - Short Term Disability/FMLA Unit Leader in Mount Prospect, IL

I worked at MetLife full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, stable company, in all areas other than the disability organization, there was a great amount of support and collaberation.

Cons

The expectations of the claim managers is unrealistic. Leadership pushes upper management initiatives that do not translate to the day to day operations. In many situations I requested clearer detail on HOW to do what was being requested. When I provided some challengesin the process and asked for guidance, I was told to stop asking questions and just do it. There is no training for management and very limited training for the claims managers.

In addition, tthe pay structure is a full tier below the rest of the company. A "Unit Leader" who is a people manager insNOT paid as a "Manager" as it would be across the rest of the business. My direct supervisor, who handled over 60 FTEs was paid as a "Manager" instead of a "Director" as he would have been with those responsibilties in any other organization within the company. (I do have a few years working within HR at MetLife which is what provided me this insight).

Within the disabilty organization there needs to be some improved understanding of the reality of daily work and needs by upper management. When this gap is closed, their operation can be great.

Claims

Current Employee - Claim Adjuster
    Current Employee - Claim Adjuster

I have been working at MetLife full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Overall good company. Good work and home balance

Cons

Opportunity areas: training, salary, not alot of opportunities for advancement

Need better training platform and competitive salary

Micro-managed and underpaid

I have been working at MetLife full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

not sure where to start, only thing good is that you have decent amount of time off, you just cant use it when u need to or would like to due to scheduling

Cons

no work life balance, very limited growth opportunity, new management unskilled and unethical, very high turnover rate

Great people, changing direction

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at MetLife full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is great work life balance, opportunity to work from many places, and lots of ways to learn as you go.
    - Great people
    - Some interesting work
    - Lots of ways to learn and grow

Cons

The main con was constant changes and a very stale business strategy for senior leadership.
    - Constant re-orgs
    - Heavily focused on cost cutting
    - Lack of innovation, highly risk averse

Good Company - Solid Reputation

I worked at MetLife

Pros

Friendly people, flexible work hours, Rewarding career

Cons

As with any corporation - employees are cut when budget crunches come up.

Treat individuals as individuals and not as numbers. The people in the trenches help keep the company running. So it would be great that you remember that always.

MetTech University, nothing original or innovative

Current Employee - Technical Associate in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Technical Associate in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at MetLife full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are really no pros to working for this company but the salary is ok and my co workers in the program are good people. We are all young professionals trying to start our careers.

Cons

MetTech University is a terrible program. This is an entry level program that has a duration of 6 months. The program has some classroom training and on the job training. From the beginning, this program was marketed as a leading transformational IT program. This could not be farther from the truth. The program is a carbon copy of programs that other companies have like Fidelity, Cisco, and NetApp. The leaders of the program all came from Cisco. They have basically taken what they have done at Cisco and implemented the same exact program. There is nothing original about the program especially for a company who markets themselves as innovative. The leaders of this program really pride themselves on making "change" at MetLIfe. There is nothing innovative about implementing the same program you created at Cisco and bringing it over to MetLife. The program was not implemented well. The classes are worthless because they teach you about new technology but yet MetLife uses very old technology. I just don't understand how a company can market themselves as a leading IT company, when your technology is old. There's nothing exciting about working for MetLife. They try to have "fun" events, but they really aren't that fun. That brings me to another point. I find it very peculiar that the leader of the program constantly has events at her restaurant. I'm not sure if she is trying to milk us for money to advance her business or trying to get more guest into a terrible restaurant.

Advice to potential candidates- PLEASE do research on this company. Filter the reviews and select Raleigh-Durham area. The leaders and recruiters will try to sell you a false dream of being the next leaders of this company and how you're able to be innovative at MetLife. Please do not believe this. They have a well established old management at MetLife and they are not ready for a fresh prospective. I find it very peculiar, that they think all Millennials are the same. They think we have an attitude of self entitlement. I'm sorry but I had to work really hard in life to get where I am today and I am not or never will look for handouts. I would have definitely chosen Fidelity's program over MetLife's MetTech U program. I had an offer from Fidelity but bought into the false promises MetLife leaders market. I'm basically kicking myself now for my decision. I'm not the only one who feels this way. There are a lot more people in this program who are disappointed. Once the program is over, I'll definitely be looking for employment elsewhere.

Stop marketing MetTech University as a transformational program, when it's a carbon copy of other programs. MetLife is an old insurance company that has old technology and will never be able to compete with Google, Apple, Red Hat, NetApp or Intel. The Raleigh-Durham area is not a very big area and word spreads fast about how bad of a company MetLife really is. I concur with another post, congratulations on being the worst IT company to work for in the area.

Good Career Opportunity

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Tampa, FL

I have been working at MetLife full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There is plenty of opportunity for growth. Pay is sufficient. Perfect for a long term career

Cons

Career progress moves SLOW. Very political atmosphere.

Provide more opportunity for growth. Take stock in your own workers instead of looking outside the company