MetLife Reviews

Updated September 16, 2014
Updated September 16, 2014

MetLife President & CEO Steven A. Kandarian
Steven A. Kandarian

Pros
  • Flexible work arrangements and very good company for work life balance (in 104 reviews)

• MetLife has great benefits and different positions in different departments (in 74 reviews)

Cons
  • Some of the supervisors don't allow flexibility as far as work-life balance (in 21 reviews)

• Lack of visibility to senior management as to who is doing the actual job (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Company

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at MetLife full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

There is very Work Life Balance

Cons

There are no growth opportunities

Changing for the better

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at MetLife

Pros

Great culture and benefits and always plenty of work to do

Cons

Management can always use improvement.

Big company culture, all depends on your boss

I have been working at MetLife full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

im lucky enough to have a great boss. PTO

Cons

big company culture, some coworkers are just a-holes.

be innovative, put down the politics, need better work/life balance, give employee more incentives to exercise and be healthy.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Don't let Snoopy fool you!

I have been working at MetLife

Pros

You really can't beat the vacation time!! And flexible start time is a real plus. The building is located in a beautiful area, lots of wildlife around!

Cons

I'm tempted to say: too many to mention. While the vacation time is pretty impressive and hard to beat, the salary is low. Over the years that I've been with the company, the whole atmosphere has changed. In the beginning, prior to becoming a public company (stock(, employees were valued and morale was high. It was fun to come to work! Once we became public, it changed. Employees are not valued at all. Let me list some examples. Mandatory overtime. Yes, mandatory. As in you have to work every Saturday for so many hours, and if you don't they threaten to write you up. I am curious if that's even legal. And it's been mandatory for over ten years in my department. Oh and they told us on July 3, that we would be required to work on either July 4 or5 and we didn't get the three day holiday weekend. Beyond that, if we worked in July 4, we did not get paid extra because it was our CHOICE to work that day. Really? And to cover themselves, they made us fudge our time sheets to look like we worked on the day after the holiday so they didn't have to pay us. No value on employees.

Another prime example of not caring for employees comes in the form of relocation. We were told in March 2013 that our jobs were being moved to North Carolina. If we wanted to relocate, we had to reapply for our positions and hope we get it. Keep in mind, on the conference call with the VP he mentioned they were moving for the talent pool. That right there shows they don't want to keep is. We were then told that in RI we are so under budget that we are not being paid the correct amount for our zones and levels. But that's too bad because they aren't going to raise out salaries here. When we found out we were relocating, we were told what we would make of we were to go to NC. Turns out the salary there was about 5K more. Which is funny because they should actually make less than us down there. The in June 2013, we were told that they weren't relocating us "right now". And even though we were told our salaries would be more down there, there still is not enough in the budget to match what we actually should be making. They acknowledge we are under paid and make no attempt to fix it. Now we are awaiting another decision on if we are relocating or not. Very hard to stand my a company that has such little regard for their employees. We have families and there is not work life balance.

I could keep going, but I won't ramble. Just really think out your decision to work for this company. I will also point out my department is on the Life side, not the Auto and Home side. Maybe not all of our company is like that.

Act like you appreciate your employees. Treat them fairly. And if you're going to mandate overtime , maybe you could come in too to support your teams! Might help raise morale.

Need to move with the times

Current Employee - Claims Examiner
    Current Employee - Claims Examiner

I have been working at MetLife full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits provided as far as health dental and 401 are good. Work from home option in some departments

Cons

Poor systems and upgrades still are not compatible with the industry. Very political when it comes to promotions. They always talk about work-life balance but make you work 10+ hours of overtime every week (its not mandatory because they cant by law but if u dont do it its held against u in reviews and promotions). NO employee appreciation what so ever! A lot of good workers are leaving because things are getting worse by the day

MetLife IT. Check the box, done for the day!

Former Employee - Systems Analyst  in  Morristown, NJ
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Morristown, NJ

I worked at MetLife full-time for more than a year

Pros

Not hard work, it's typical of big IT.
    If you want to learn about ITILs, PMP, SLA, and all that other IT gibber gabber
    If you're really bad at managing people you will shine at Met.

Cons

You're hear this a thousand times a day, "WHEN I WAS AT MORGAN"
    IT in Investments survives by staying out of the way,
    Maintain, don't innovate. Don't ask, check the box you box checker you..

You should have cleaned up your act before moving to NC..

Good company to work for, but there are pitfalls

Former Employee - Information Systems Consultant  in  Long Island City, NY
    Former Employee - Information Systems Consultant in Long Island City, NY

I worked at MetLife full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There are a lot of great people working in IT, and most are team oriented. Compensation, Benefits, work schedules, and flexibility are all very good.

Cons

Since the company went public, corporate culture seems has changed and the employees have taken a back seat to investors. Employees in IT are generally limited to one area of expertise, limiting exposure to that one skill set. This makes it difficult to change jobs, as most companies are looking for a broader range of experience. Metlife employees call this the silo effect.

favoritism is alive and well at Metlife. Compensation, Leadership, and promotions are discriminatory in many areas. Some male managers show favoritism towards female employees, and this is ignored by senior management (maybe because most are male themselves). In my area, male employees were (and still are) constantly harassed and picked on, whereas female employees are always treated with respect.

big gap between senior management and rest of team

I worked at MetLife full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

interesting work; many offices. a change to gain knowledge then leave, or just sit and hang out for years on end, whichever career track you feel like, you will be directed that way.

Cons

total lack of recognition for best efforts yet responsibilities kept increasing..smart management, just lazy and rude to junior staff. mixed messages about work from home - allowed but discouraged. many people leave all the time, not sure why, but they end up on their feet elsewhere.

none.

Was lucky to get laid off.

Former Employee - Recruiting Manager  in  Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Recruiting Manager in Bloomington, MN

I worked at MetLife full-time for more than a year

Pros

Loved my boss who hired me. As a manager, the company spent a lot of time on leadership training which was also a huge plus.

Cons

Hard to make any independent decisions, had to drink the company Kool-Aid hard, and was not given credit for my hard work. There were also many questionable layoffs among upper managment that made employees question the company's direction.

Give the sales offices the autonomy they need and deserve.

Financial Representative/ Investment Advisor

I worked at MetLife full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible hours, strong name recognition.

Cons

More focus on International business than keeping the US Sales division healthy. Limited competitive products. Too reliant on internal leads to build a strong personal book of business. Very high turnover both at the local office and corporate.

Worked for MetLife? Contribute to the Community!