MetLife

3.1
1,027 Reviews

MetLife President & CEO Steven A. Kandarian
Steven A. Kandarian

Pros
  • The work life balance is a plus; especially for working professionals with families (in 120 reviews)

• MetLife has great benefits and different positions in different departments (in 74 reviews)

Cons
  • Some of the supervisors don't allow flexibility as far as work-life balance (in 29 reviews)

• Senior management inner circle that does not include front line management input or feedback (in 36 reviews)

More Highlights

Broker

I have been working at MetLife

Pros

working with the managing director in the Roslyn office in long island is a wonderful experience. All the managers are very helpful and will do the best they can to make you successful.

Cons

If an agent based on commission, but the opportunities are endless if you work hard.

Solid Company

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Consultant in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Consultant in Providence, RI

I have been working at MetLife full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

wonderful benefits and focused on educating their workforce on 401K savings and living a financially strong future.

Cons

Usually, it's the same people who are considered for new and upcoming positions.

Good management!

Talented people, great money managers, lousy mid level managers

I worked at MetLife full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very talented, smart people work there. Company is excellent when it comes to managing and investing money. Very political company so be good at politics if you work there.

Cons

Lousy mid level administrative managers. Poor quality and poorly trained.

Don't promote within upon recommendations of existing managers. Too many politics leads to poor administrative managers recommending others who simply shouldn't be promoted.

Excellent

I have been working at MetLife

Pros

Great advancement opportunities, co-workers are great. Can be a fun environment at times.

Cons

Stuck to the phone all day long with short breaks, tends to break a person down. Sales goals can be a bit unfair and unobtainable.

Ease up on the heavy scheduling and focus more on employee satisfaction.

I loved my job. Metlife was a great place to work

Former Employee - Documant Analyst in Latham, NY
    Former Employee - Documant Analyst in Latham, NY

I worked at MetLife full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I liked working for Metlife because the department I worked for was a great place to work. We worked as a team, which made it enjoyable

Cons

The one con I can think of is they change our hour lunch to a half hour and took some holidays away from us

Bait and Switch

Current Employee - Principal in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Principal in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at MetLife full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Seeing employees I know from a previous employer. Nice onboarding program prior to joining your personal department.

Cons

Interview and actual position are a mismatch. Charlotte, NC pay is lower than the majority of competitors.

Embrace the culture, knowledgeable staff and be open to change.

Manipulation by pretending to create culture

Former Employee - Annuity Customer Service Representative in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Annuity Customer Service Representative in Tulsa, OK

I worked at MetLife full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It feels like a real job for a while. Management pretends to help you work on a personal development plan. You are required to set goals for yourself in a job you just started in and know very little about. There's a cafeteria on site. Believe me, though the food isn't great, you'll need to learn how to eat there or bring your own food. Your 30 minute lunch(minus the 5 minutes*2=10 minutes it takes to enter and exit the building) won't allow you to make it for or actually humanely consume anything reasonably resembling food elsewhere.

Cons

They're regularly fussing with you about everything. Don't do this, don't do that. I felt 2 all over again. The difference is I'm a grown man with multiple degrees who acts my age. Everything I did was an attempt to be a good employee and you can bet I was berated at every turn. So, in essence met was like a giant preschool where we were actually handling giant transactions for real people in the real world. It was such a nightmare.

Just because someone seems to perform well in another industry doesn't mean they'll do well in your industry. I'm referring to the horrible mid-level management hire from Citi. The company has pretty much been on a downward spiral since going public. I was strongly consider going private similar to your prior arrangement as a mutual.
    Also, more money brings better talent.

Global Procurement

Former Employee - Sourcing/Procurement Specialist in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Sourcing/Procurement Specialist in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at MetLife as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Very good team environment, open door policy all the way up the management ladder

Cons

Company is fractured all over the country. team mates in 4 different locations

Fun

Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at MetLife full-time (less than an year)

Pros

good benefits, casual atmosphere, great co-workers,

Cons

the self pace study for the series 6 exam. it did not help me, as i was not able to ask questions, and being that i didn't understand the information, it was super hard. the last week was the week we were actually trained on the series 6 exam

if the class would have been structured more to how i learned, instead of me having to self study, i think i would have passed the test. also the test being 64% pass rate did not match up with other call centers. this is not right, as in the offer letter, it did state pass rate of 60%. also, i was not offered another position within the company given that i had already been there for a period of a few months

Great Place to Stay for Years

Former Employee - Financial Intern in Dublin, OH
    Former Employee - Financial Intern in Dublin, OH

I worked at MetLife as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

MetLife is an excellent community with a lot of down-to-earth people. The work culture is very-laid back but you are still motivated to get your work done. The leadership is helpful. Good work-life balance.

The one great thing about MetLife is that it feels like a family and everyone is willing to help each other out. The days may be monotonous and the work may not be cutting edge sometimes but the co-workers are great.

Cons

The salary is not that great but I personally think its worth it!