MetLife Reviews

Updated August 28, 2014
Updated August 28, 2014

MetLife President & CEO Steven A. Kandarian
Steven A. Kandarian

Pros
  • Flexible work arrangements and very good company for work life balance (in 104 reviews)

• MetLife has great benefits and different positions in different departments (in 74 reviews)

Cons
  • Some of the supervisors don't allow flexibility as far as work-life balance (in 21 reviews)

• Lack of visibility to senior management as to who is doing the actual job (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

Started out great

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at MetLife full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Pleasant surroundings, decent salaries, and good resources to learn on line.

Cons

With the new CEO, senior staff is being forced out. There's a great loss of institutional history. Strategy seems to be only on short term stock price. It's not the same company that was known for true expertise. A lot of that is gone.

Training to replace all the technical expertise that's been lost. I've seen this happen before in the industry and it's not pretty when no one knows anything anymore.

Decent place to work

Current Employee - Operations Analyst  in  Troy, NY
    Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Troy, NY

I have been working at MetLife full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Personal life issues are usually worked around even on a last minute basis. Most the people I work with are great to work with.

Cons

Out-sourced personnel with high turnover rate that can drive you nuts. Focus on the wrong issues (ticket priority instead of actually caring about whether an issue is being worked on).

Avoid Nepotism.

MetLife is a great company with excellent employees

Current Employee - Financial Analyst  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at MetLife full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Salary, Flexibility, Tuition Reimbursement, Annual Bonus, Great Work-Life Balance, Good amount of PTO

Cons

Tough to define my career growth.

Help your employees pave out a career plan and offer more growth opportunities.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Where people go to be put out to pasture... Seriously AVOID at all costs if you are under the age of 55.

Former Employee - Analyst  in  Morristown, NJ
    Former Employee - Analyst in Morristown, NJ

I worked at MetLife full-time for more than a year

Pros

Perfect If you are ready to retire and want to die slowly and painfully or if you like an environment that is akin to a basement with no lights and very little social interaction.

Cons

I dont know where to start. Hands down the absolute worst place I have ever been. Lets start with the MetLife culture. Everyone knows when you first start a job you are reserved and cautious how you act to your new fellow employees. Then you open up and show your personality when you are comfortable. Well at Metlife the Culture is that awkwardness of your first day of work EVERY SINGLE DAY. No one looks at you in the eyes when walking by in the halls. Everyone purposely avoids each other to avoid any social interaction. And you have to pay for instant coffee, gym and expensive cafeteria prices.

Now on to the jobs. Lets start with their trading group. First off its an insurance company so no making profits on their trading desks (Its a cost center rather than a profit center) Old antiquated systems with software integration that doesnt work. Their trade booking and operations platform is hilariously cumbersome with only 2 people in both of trading and ops that knows how it works. Couple that with a unbelievably O.C.D helicopter manager and you have a recipe for procedures that are redundant 4 times over. Now i guess the reason that is needed because you only work 4 months out of the year. Seriously there are weeks where you can just sit there and do nothing and that ok.. because there is no meaningful stuff to do there. The work is garbage and meaningless and the fellow employees are just plain disgusting/horrible with no personalities. I am surprise they work on a trading floor as they deserve to be put in a windowless room in the basement to never be heard from again.

Investments- If you are a research analyst in the investments group you can not escape from the bs either. No recognition, ridiculous timelines and requests. No one is happy no one is learning anything usefull. Everyone is constantly talking about leaving and openly looking for other jobs.

The funny thing is that in this group and in trading everyone is from UPENN and Georgetown all very great schools. Metlife thinks they can attract "great talent" in reality its desperate talent. The only reason any of the students work at metlife is because we are in the recession and everyone is desperate for a job. Because of that 95% of the analyst class leaves in less than 2 years!!! That is an insane turnover rate for such a "World Class" organization. Oh yeah MetLife has an analyst "Program" that lasts 4 years.. once the 4 years is up you are out.. they havent changed that in years because they have noticed that everyone leaves at the 2 year mark... No!!?? really?! You mean to tell me you hire exceptional talent, bring them on and provide absolutely ZERO room for growth and everyone leaves??? I am shocked!

Lower management - If you are part of management and you dont have an actual office you will get a promotion once everyone 10 years if you are lucky. Learn to play politics cause apparently with no work to do you have alot of time to practice your back stabbing skills.

Upper Management is a joke here - half the guys are MetLifers (Poor souls) and the others are from the street where they could no longer succeed and need a place to plug their deflating ego.

It is incredible how this place is still in business. They are resting on their size and there is no other reason why they are still around.

I can go on and on about this but I believe this review and every other review that has some detail paints a fairly consistent picture. Unless you are absolutely desperate do not work here. IF you do then keep applying to jobs else where from day one.

I am going to end on this note: When EVERY company wide MANAGER MEETING starts with your guest speaker (current manager) saying " When I first started at MetLife I didnt think I was going to be here for this long.." you have a serious serious problem. I heard 4 different Senior management start their speeches that way. Seriously??? Even they cant believe they got trapped at such a company for so long.

Stop hiring outside people. If you want to grow the company and give employees some pride promote within. Morale is non existent since no promotions are given to anyone and anyone from an outside company comes in at high management positions.

Also, PAY a livable nyc wage.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at MetLife full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

* Flexibility, focus on work/life balance
    * Global opportunities and exposure, for those who are interested
    * Very good benefits comparing to many other large insurance and financial companies
    * Opportunities to move within the company from one department to another

Cons

* Org changes create distruction in the day to day operations.

Solid company, big bureaucracy, requires much patience

Former Employee - Business Analyst
    Former Employee - Business Analyst

I worked at MetLife full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

MetLife is a large organization with tons of resources and with new markets being developed regularly. There are opportunities for moving about the company if one so desires. The salespeople and account managers are very sharp. The products are well recognized in the marketplace, and the clients are generally satisfied.

There is always lots of work to be done, and I can't say that I was ever bored for even a minute while working there. I had a fair amount of leeway in the assignments that I undertook, which gave me multiple chances to work on things that I found interesting.

Most of my coworkers were friendly and helpful, and I made a number of good friends in my time there.

I had a good run during my 10 years as a Met associate, and I learned a great deal about dealing with big organizations and a variety of different managerial personalities. I learned lots of things there that will serve me well in my next job, and the name MetLife looks pretty darn good on a resume.

Cons

Every company has its cons, with MetLife being no exception. Met is a stodgy behemoth that is slow to make decisions. Many departments and managers are married to outdated processes. Projects and even relatively mundane tasks often involve steps that are unnecessary and add no value. A "we've always done it this way" attitude is pervasive throughout the company, even amongst the rank and file associates. In many ways, Met simply can't seem to get out of its own way.

Mid-level and senior managers are often not held accountable for mistakes, since a failed $300k project can easily be absorbed by a company whose annual profit measures in the billions. Those same managers then turn around and make similar blunders on other projects.

The company is very siloed, and networking opportunities are few and far between. Senior management is woefully disconnected from the daily goings-on of the low level workers who shoulder the grunt work. As another commenter mentioned, there is little insight given regarding senior management's way of thinking.

An inside joke is that the company's name is actually MeetLife, since getting anything done requires meeting after meeting after meeting.

Salaries are at best market average; this is done intentionally. When we were acquired from a competitor, Met eliminated our transportation reimbursement, even though our office is located in a commuter town and many of the employees travel a good distance to work. The explanation given was "most places just aren't doing that any more." Complaints over the lowered pay grades of jobs that are being relocated to North Carolina were defended with explanations such as "that is the market rate for that job in the area." Evidently paying competitively for top talent has gone out of style.

Met is currently undergoing a restructuring, and the transitional planning has been poor. I was already looking to move to a new job and was not surprised when my position was eliminated, but I was shocked that it was done with no transition. I ended up leaving with several supposedly important projects up in the air. Former colleagues tell me that they can't work many of the things that I used to do, and one "mission critical" project where I was serving as the project manager is completely dead because the torch wasn't passed to anyone, yet apparently senior management still expects it to be delivered (this makes no sense whatsoever). While I sympathize with the rank and file associates who are now burdened with these problems, I feel vindicated in that I repeatedly complained to senior management that the processes that I supported were never given sufficient financial or personnel backing.

Divorce yourselves from policy and from the way things have always been done. Review and update your processes with greater frequency, and eliminate steps that are no longer necessary. Stop taking 10 steps to do things that can be done in only 9 steps, because over time that one irrelevant step creates a ton of accumulated waste. If a step in a process either adds no value or cannot be explained/justified by anyone involved, eliminate it!

Hold everyone accountable for what they spend and for what they request from other service units. Mandate a "lessons learned" review on every project so that the associate who commits an unforced error and causes a six-figure project to fail learns from his or her mistake.

Get rid of the "tell them they can't do that" mindset and replace it with one of "help them figure out how." Tell your IT, vendor management, procurement, and marketing departments that they are support units, not profit centers.

Stop aiming for market average salary and benefits, and start offering packages that will help attract and keep top level talent.

Customer Experience Management

Current Employee - Customer Experience  in  Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Customer Experience in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at MetLife as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Many opportunities to improve existing SDLC processes.
    Many opportunities to improve customer experience.

Cons

Upper management has no interest in understanding contemporary technologies that solve business problems.
    Upper management has no interest in developing FTE human assets.
    Upper management has strong interest in creating unnecessary workforce and SDLC process chaos.
    Upper management has strong interest in growing low-cost, off-short human resources that generate tremendous on-shore re-work and contribute to declining customer service quality.

Continue what you're doing to grow your personal wealth.

Once great.

I have been working at MetLife full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Big name, just like GM. None any more

Cons

MetLife is a different company now from when I started. It used to be all about policy holders, now it's about shareholders. Met is about increasing share value at all costs. The turnover is terrific. We reduce force in experienced people and hire inexperienced simultaneously, all in the name of cost-cutting. The move to NC is a flagrant example. Fire people in the NY/ NJ, hire cheaper in NC.

This human resources shell game has attracted a very low standard of person as manager. I have examples, but the worst happened recently. A very experienced man was fired after they caught their manager lying on their year-end review. I heard the manager laughed when confronted with the evidence and refused to apologize. HR did nothing.

I would not recommend Met to anyone.

Has been a great company to work for, but not sure that is the case at this point.

I have been working at MetLife full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Flexible schedules, team environment, decent pay and bonuses, company and employees interested in community giving and activities. For the most part I have found enjoyment in much of my time with this company in previous years. Expansion of business in other parts of the world is a great move.

Cons

Lots of knowledge lost in repeated waves of layoffs combined with repeated waves of outsourcing to a series of companies that brought in non US workers. The current plan is relocating to NC, but many of those that are left are not moving to NC. It does not seem like the employees are valued. The current attitude seems to be use them up / spit them out.....after all, we can hire more.

North Carolina seems to be the only focus and the new people in NC are the only ones who have any value. Upper management will need to carefully time their departures in order to maximize their bonues before the cracks begin to show.

Met Review

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at MetLife full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

1) Good salary,
    2) talented associates,
    3) challenging work

Cons

1) US Relocation has killed morale and decreased historical perspectives
    2) Worklife balance is being impacted by trend to take WFH options away and is further impacted by long hours and limitless to-dos.
    3) Constant change, both in strategy/vision and in organizational structure. Seems to change constantly.

Walk the walk. GTO regime talks about innovation and collaboration and then sqleches it when it occurs. 'Old' MetLife associates have worth and should not be discarded with a total lack of empathy, as is being done in the US Relocation to Raleigh.

Worked for MetLife? Contribute to the Community!