MetLife

MetLife Reviews in Tampa, FL

Updated Jul 30, 2014

MetLife President & CEO Steven A. Kandarian

Steven A. Kandarian

Pros
  • Flexible work arrangements and very good company for work life balance (in 104 reviews)

• MetLife has great benefits and different positions in different departments (in 74 reviews)

Cons
  • Some of the supervisors don't allow flexibility as far as work-life balance (in 21 reviews)

• Lack of visibility to senior management as to who is doing the actual job (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights
32 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great opportunities and smart people!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsGenerous pay, coaching, helpful and timely feedback, great opportunities flexible hours and work schedule, strong team members, and strong work ethic encouraged.

ConsThe onboarding process is a bit disjointed but once you're up and running it clicks. No other cons at this time.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep going in this positive direction!

STAY AWAY FROM LONG TERM CARE!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsNo weekends, holidays and pretty good benefits.

ConsPoorly managed LTC department. Managers have NO medical background and make very poor decisions. They also lack training and knowledge of the LTC policies which in turn, makes it very difficult to seek assistance. Managers themselves voice frustration from the many changes from higher up (director, etc) and will many times flat out say, "I don't know". ZERO career opportunities if you are a nurse.

Advice to Senior ManagementLive up to your Fortune 500 name by ensuring that you have qualified managers who possess leadership skills and who are not afraid to seek advice when applicable. Also, PLEASE work on hiring leaders who have some type of medical background, as it will only be advantageous for the company and your employees who work under them.

Nurse Care Coordinator

Nurse Care Coordinator (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsNo weekends or holidays. Great benefits

ConsNew director & managers lack medical knowledgeable & leadership. They are all over the place when it comes to processes & have voiced their own frustration in not knowing how to build a consistent & reliable work model for the Long Term Care department. Very disappointed.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time obtaining qualified management w/ successful leadership skills.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

horrible

Benefit Intake (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

Prosnone horrible management cant seem to be on the same page. poor technology and customer service

Consmanagement none horrible management cant seem to be on the same page. poor technology and customer service

Advice to Senior Managementget better

Sweatshop conditions

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsGreat benefits. Amazing in house cafeteria.

ConsI am very disappointed with Met, despite being really excited to be hired.

Workload is increasingly impossible, with less people than needed doing the work. Boss constantly agrees to taking on tasks regardless of resources available. Mandatory work from home, mandatory early mornings in office to accommodate global growth, and oppressive, lonely work environment. Many managers were process managers before they were people managers. They don't know how to manage people and Met doesn't train them to do so. Many managers are mean, spiteful children who play their subordinates against each other. In the entire time I've been there, I have rarely been praised. Training is primarily OTJ. Mostly, I just hear about what I'm doing wrong on a daily basis instead of actually providing some kind of formal training. No training manual. Take notes, listen, and watch. Good luck to you, because you'll be thrown in the deep end before you choose a regular parking space based upon your morning arrival time.

Lots of gossiping, and employees can't mind their own business. Lots of backstabbing. Can't trust anyone. Moreover, the review system is competitive based on your 'level', so others at your level will be listening to your conversations and watching your behaviors in order to burn you come review time. This leads to a lack of cooperation, collaboration, and innovation because not only will they try to throw you under the bus, they won't work with you or help you because they have their own agenda to get ahead.

Company is expanding globally, yet with the ethnocentric attitudes of the management, the company doesn't seem to be very globally friendly. However, they have no problem making American employees meet the 12 hour difference to grow and maintain new locations around the world.

Upper management is insulated from the reality of what their employees are facing, and even if they do know, they don't seem to care much. The hours and workload are expected. Be prepared to give up your personal life to work at Met.

Toxic environment, crazy hours, insane workload, and not enough money for the trouble, honestly.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your managers to deal with people. Listen to our concerns and then act on them - don't just placate us.

flexible

Accountant Associate (Former Employee) Tampa, FL

Prosflexibility and opportunities to move up in the company

Consa lot of jobs moving to India outsourcing

Was once a great place to work.

Claims (Former Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsChallenging work, great co-workers, interesting work - no day is ever the same.

ConsMorale very poor, too much work-not enough staff, lack of an open door policy (despite being told it exists), people leaving in droves, nepotism is alive and thriving, poor management, management is out of touch and in denial, managements priorities are covering up their mistakes.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement not based in Tampa needs to look closely at the environment that has now been created there.

Overall a good place to work.

Team Lead (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsExcellent benefits and benefit programs. At MetLife, they realize that the combination of varied perspectives, experiences and backgrounds enhances the work environment and creates a culture of learning and personal and professional growth. I have yet to find a company who has a stronger commitment to diversity. Work/Life balance can be very good depending on your role (the vast majority of positions), but there are some positions in which that balance can be lopsided. It's great to be part of an organization that has high ethical standards and values. MetLife is company that does not try to find a way to not pay out on it's committments. They pay what they owe, but like any good company, try not to pay more than they owe. Good opportunity for career growth and advancement within the company.

ConsCompensation for lower rung positions is adequate for the industry, but fairly low in my opinion. The company is not a leader in the industry with regard to technology; making business processes cumbersome for associates and the company difficult to work with at times for it's customers (internal and external).

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on employee recognition and talent retention before it's too late. Reward high-performers or they will find a company elsewhere that rewards the value they bring.

Experienced multiple growth opportunities, both in positions and salaries!

Disability Tax Consultant (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsAlmost unlimited growth and development opportunities. Opportunities to work both as a team member as well as independently. I'd still be there had my position not been eliminated.

ConsNo real work-life balance. The effects of staff reductions either through cuts and/or not filling open positions, eventually leads to employees putting in very long hours simply to maintain their workload. This was universal across all departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementMany in management unfortunately have a bully mentality toward their subordinates vs. being supportive and building loyalty through team building. Most associates are true team players and will do what it takes for their team and manager to succeed, managers could be even more successful through team and morale building.

Great Company with excellant benefits

Associate Accountant (Former Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsOpportunities to move within the company. Benefits and bonuses are great. The company overs the ability to telecommute. There is a full service cafeteria and gym on the premises. The company is involved in many charitable events. Overall it is a great place to work.

ConsToo many positions have been outsourced. There should be more interaction with how employees are feeling.

Worked for MetLife? Contribute to the Community!