Metabolic Research Center

Updated October 15, 2014
Updated October 15, 2014
2.3

John Soileau

Great way to help others become healthy

I worked at Metabolic Research Center full-time

Pros

I LOVED helping people lose weight. Many people just have no idea what the correct steps are to get themselves down on the scale. Watching people succeed everyday was a great boost for me. Company really does care about the client's success and doing what is necessary to make each one special.

Cons

It's busy early, and it's busy late. Not very much to do during the day time hours and we often just had to many people scheduled to work the floor. Scheduling consultations late means you're probably stuck there late. Despite the center "closing" at 7, you will be stuck there til 8 some nights. I also felt like the company tried to nickel and dime the employees any chance they got.

My manager was fantastic. Great leader, great advice, great attitude. As far as us being promoted, not many opportunities for that. There is room for raises in your hourly, but not much. On top of that, the top hourly pay for consultants is still not great.

Broken promise after broken promise

Current Employee - Center Manager in McKinney, TX
    Current Employee - Center Manager in McKinney, TX

I have been working at Metabolic Research Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Meeting with clients, helping people make life changing decisions, meeting great co-workers

Cons

HORRIBLE, and I mean HORRIBLE upper management. Our region was taken over by a Supervisor who did not want us and made it out here maybe twice in 1 year. No direction, no advice, just pushy about products, numbers, sales, sales, sales, sales!!! Every step we thought we were taking forward, our supervisor called and bashed us pushing us two steps backwards. Very discouraging.

Learn to praise the employees you have. Stop paying people pennies when we have expensive degrees and know we are worth what you falsely promised us in the beginning. Do not paint such a perfect picture that your main priority is it change peoples lives when really you just want to shove pills down there throat.

Lies told by management

Former Employee - Weight Loss Consultant

I worked at Metabolic Research Center part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I loved working with the clients. II was always top in sales at my store and did very well. I enjoyed my manager and the people I worked with a lot.

Cons

There was never any trouble until we were sold and bought out by corporate. Our new regional management was absolutely awful! Their favorite thing to do was belittle you until you put in your notice. There is no room for advancement at all, even though I was told I would be promoted to full time I never was. They loved to feed you lines like everything there was so great. They sure did want you to work like you were making millions, but in reality you are getting the same amount as McDonalds workers with no health benefits.

Would be nice to have more recognition for being so good at my job. I really took pride in it before the switch in Regional Management.

MRC is a great place to work

Former Employee - Weight Loss Consultant in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Weight Loss Consultant in Omaha, NE

I worked at Metabolic Research Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I loved working one on one with the clients and being a part of their weight loss journey. I also enjoyed getting to know my co-workers. By the end of my employment with MRC I felt like I had another family.

Cons

You usually have to work some Saturdays. Sometimes you have periods where the center is slow which can get boring.

It would be nice to be offered more leadership roles other than just the manager and assistant manager positions. This would give you the option to promote more from within.

No benefits, low pay, no upward mobility

I worked at Metabolic Research Center full-time

Pros

My co-workers were great. Even my center manager was great.

The scheduling was flexible.

Cons

We were not allowed to communicate with my manager's superiors, including the staff dietician! If we did "violate chain of command", our manager would get in trouble. We were not given the support we needed to do our jobs.

We were not given any medical benefits, nor were were offered them, even as full-time employees.

SHOULD BE ILLEGAL!

Former Employee - Sales Consultant
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant

I worked at Metabolic Research Center full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I really can't see past the negative experience.

Cons

From my first day at work, started harassing me about losing 10 lbs and insisting I buy their products. Wanted to take over $100 out of my first check for product. I thought I was getting a job not a weight loss regime. According to my doctor, I am within the normal BMI for my height. How disappointing! I ran as fast as I could after only 2 weeks and found a real job.

Shame on you!

Not a career move unless you like corny

Former Employee - Weight Loss Consultant in McKinney, TX
    Former Employee - Weight Loss Consultant in McKinney, TX

I worked at Metabolic Research Center full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Their intention is good, however misguided. Their ideas monthly to bring in clients and retain them was immature at best. Their silly attempts at doing "cute" monthly themed things was exhausting and not very rewarding.

Cons

The center I worked for was headed by one of three sisters that worked for Metabolic. The younger sister consistantly made more than anyone else and got all of the good leads.

Neptism is never a good idea.

Fun environment

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Beaverton, OR

I worked at Metabolic Research Center

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Too much turnover, lack of management, no consistency

Needs consistency in all areas - management, employees, pay, etc.