Metagenics

Updated November 21, 2014
3.6

Fred Howard

Great Company! Passionate about the industry while caring about employees

I have been working at Metagenics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Managers encourage career growth and support their employees in their endeavors. The company has many fun programs for employees to participate in throughout the year which makes it a fun place to work. This includes everything from food on 2 Fridays a month to more formal holiday events. Also, the company allows us to participate in the planning of employee events if you join team thrive. A growing company always has pros and cons. Change can be difficult but Metagenics does it's best to take care of employees.

Cons

Change and growth can be difficult. This is common in other growing companies as well and I expect that change in general will slow down.

Oct 2, 2014Community

Thank you for your review! As we build our culture, we are creating opportunities for development and recognition - you can see it in our MetaLearning courses and MetaThanks employee rewards ... More

Biggest mistake of my career - don't believe the false reviews

I worked at Metagenics

Pros

Beautiful location, (some) real good people, great product

Cons

Upper management is corrupt (countless law suits) Disagree or have a differing opinion (though they "say" their doors are open), you'll eventually be terminated. The CEO brought many of his under qualified yet close buddies from a previous company and is allowing them to run the Metagenics straight into a dark hole. Great product but a lack of leadership to pull it through. NA sales consistently under goal, HR is inexperienced, unapproachable and will not advocate for you. It's all about who you know and how much of your integrity you're willing to give up to be successful. DO NOT belive the previous reviews. No company is perfect, but Metagenics under the current leadership tops the list as one of the worst companies to work for in the OC by many of its current and previous employees, hands down. Made the mistake of not considering the reviews with much regret. If you must accept their offer please do so with the intent to continue to pursue other opportunities. Unless you are in the right department under good leadership (marketing-creative services, event planning or customer service) you will be miserable and overworked. Sales should be avoided if at all possible. Best of luck!!

Wake Up!! Change in leadelrship is vital to the success of this once thriving organization. A few lunches or an outing here and there does not compensate for the low morale by those being trampled on by upper management.

Dec 3, 2014Community

Thank you for your feedback. We’re sorry to hear about your experience. We are always receptive to ways we can improve upon our sales force effectiveness.

In the last year, we have rolled-out
    ... More

Noteworthy company overshadowed by misguided leadership.

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Gig Harbor, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Gig Harbor, WA

I worked at Metagenics as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The company headquarters is located in Aliso Viejo, Ca. The WA campus is in a gorgeous setting just outside downtown Gig Harbor and easy to locate.

Department teams and projects were productive and enjoyable. There's a handsome level of politics and lack of formal project management, but that's not unusual for companies of similar size and growth.

I particularly liked their MetaThanks program allowing peers to nominate a person that supports the company values and culture. This is a rarity for IT and I enjoyed learning specifics on the value of contributions.

Cons

Sadly, the positive experience with other department was overshadowed by horrible experience with my own team. Iinitial challenges were based on getting permissions to do anything. A probationary period was understandable, but given the pay rate and contract-to-hire position, I hoped that I would be able to immediately contribute.

I was assigned a single project to migrate several SharePoint sites into a single site. Every request for permissions outside of that project was met with "you're only a contractor and if you can't do what I'm asking, this isn't going to work out". Threats of losing my job continued almost weekly until I told leadership I would promptly request to be placed elsewhere. It became very clear that this was not a career position, but rather a highly discounted SharePoint Consulting position that would end with this project. Discounted because my SharePoint rate is over double the offered rate and this position was clearly being sold under another job title.

There are close personal relationships between leadership and some team members which interferes with sound decisions and morale. Communication skills are similar to ranking military officials barking orders and expecting results with no discussion. Inappropriate communication and treatment is tolerated out of fear of losing what they call "trustworthy" team members.

Department leadership has virtually no management experience. It's puzzling how the company can be so naive to appoint a person with such lack of ethics, experience and judgement. Allowing a single person to make and change policy at will, hire and fire outside the scope of HR and even step on C-level roles with their own ad-hoc policies. The dishonesty, misdirection and personal agenda of leadership is a serious problem.

The statement "enough talking, just do as I say" seems to be leaderships' approach to team building, morale boosting and career development. Team members often hold their comments and limit contributions for fear of reprisal.

Replace leadership in IT immediately. The liability of their communication, actions and treatment is going to cost the company in time. Since my exit, I've been thanked for speaking out as others couldn't. Ask the people that work in IT...assure them that reprisal is not tolerated and their feedback is valuable. Question all decisions made with technology and demand business justification. These things alone will show leadership is not qualified for the role.

Oct 22, 2014Community

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad to know you liked our MetaThanks program - we have been getting a lot of positive comments from our employees about this recognition program!

We
    ... More

Best company I've ever worked for!

I have been working at Metagenics full-time

Pros

The employees, the culture, the work environment is quite positive. There are lunches provided, employee interaction is great. Everyone is super friendly and they care about each other!

Cons

Typical 8-5 job, if you consider that a con otherwise there's nothing bad about this company in my opinion.

Offer more opportunity for employees to grow in the company. A lot of lower level employees have the ability to be high ranking. Listen to feedback.

Oct 2, 2014Community

Thank you so much for your feedback. We are glad to see you find we are providing our employees with a Happy, Healthy Environment - it's one of our Core Values. We are listening, and welcome you to ... More

Never a dull day!

I have been working at Metagenics full-time

Pros

What a fun place to work at, but it's not everyone's cup of tea. Since day 1, you start off on a busy note. This company is growing and the amount of work put in to develop amazing product and the people around to support it, is incredible. It's a well oiled machine here. I work with very intelligent people who are really great people in general. Coworkers are passionate, more perks I have ever enjoyed at a company, and it feels great to know that we are doing something to help people.

Cons

Challenges are that we are very busy, so if someone cant keep up the pace, it may be an issue.

Oct 2, 2014Community

Thank you for a realistic glimpse into your day. We are pleased you acknowledge the purpose and the passion from our workforce - we're focused on providing a great employee experience.

Great people!

I have been working at Metagenics full-time

Pros

People are great and they care greatly about their roles in the company

Cons

Management is disconnected and doesn't trust or empower employees.

Oct 2, 2014Community

Thanks for taking the time to share your feelings on the company. We are listening and hope you will come to talk to us about what you are experiencing. Our doors are always open.

Mixed bag of a company

Current Employee - Facilities Assistant in Gig Harbor, WA
    Current Employee - Facilities Assistant in Gig Harbor, WA

I have been working at Metagenics full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I worked at the Gig Harbor, WA facility. It is a nice campus. Well maintained facilities. Everyone there tried to promote a culture of healthiness.

Cons

The company refuses to pay competitive wages so there is a ridiculously high turn over rate, especially in production. I'm sorry $9.50 an hour is not competitive, unless your competition is McDonald's. It's almost as if they prefer a revolving door of employees instead of developing a few good people and paying them a wage worth staying for. A hard work ethic only gets you so far... If you so much as have one black eye on your record, you are terminated without prejudice even if you have moved past the issue.

People only work hard for you if you respect them and you treat them like adults. Don't act like it's a privilege to work there. It's a privilege to have someone work for you who wants to give their time to make the company better. For a company that has been plagued with bad marks and reviews from all over the industry, it might humble you to allow people who work hard and have less than perfect records an opportunity to make you better. Additionally, I would hire an HR rep who puts the "HUMAN" in human resources and not one who views everyone as a number.

Oct 22, 2014Community

Thank you for your feedback.

We utilize a contingent workforce for an initial period which often leads to a long-term employment relationship. There are certain situations where we are not able
    ... More

Exciting science and a good culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aliso Viejo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aliso Viejo, CA

I have been working at Metagenics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Engaged employees that care about the mission of the company. Perks like subsidized healthy lunches, free product, on site gym, bikes, etc are nice. Executive team is accessible and seems to really care about employees as people. A good culture around core values has emerged in the last couple of years.

Cons

Many changes in the last 3 years are still being absorbed by some people. Management can be slow making some changes.

Continue to get employee input on issues and culture.

Oct 2, 2014Community

Thank you! We are proud of our Mission, Vision and Values - it's great to know you are engaged by our rich science and robust employee culture. We will continue to seek our employees' input on a ... More

Mission driven

I have been working at Metagenics full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I've been with Metagenics for over 30 years and over those years we've experienced many changes. This is what takes place when a company grows into an industry leader like we are today. Those changes are what continually move us forward and help us achieve our Mission. Metagenics continues to place a high value on quality, respect, integrity, teamwork and being customer focused.
    Sales leadership is very transparent, truly cares and listens.
    Some view change as challenging and move on, or are asked to move on. I, and many others here see our change as necessary to grow, stay ahead and continue to be the leader in our industry. Metagenics is a great place for a career.

Cons

For some people change is difficult and would like things to stay the same. I'm sure that there will be more change.

Continue improving communication.

Oct 3, 2014Community

Thanks so much. Your contributions have helped form who we are today. We are so grateful for your years of service and look forward to much more success.

Phenomenal company!!

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Metagenics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Metagenics is truly a place where you aren't just an employee but a part of a family. From the top down, the people care about you as a person professionally and personally.

Cons

No cons to speak off. This is a great opportunity for anyone who wants to be part if a dynamic company.