Metagenics

Updated February 12, 2015
3.5

Mary Chowning & Paul Konney
1 Rating

Wonderful work environment, industry-leading quality control and manufacturing practices, employee friendly management.

I have been working at Metagenics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Metagenics is a wonderful place to work. Both the Gig Harbor and Aliso Viejo locations are first class. Management at both campuses is open and friendly. All levels of the organization are committed to positive, logical change. Leadership has addressed many of the concerns of the employees through periodic surveys, town hall meetings and department outings. Employees are encouraged to honestly share their thoughts on the direction of the company and the response from management is open and honest. The manufacturing and quality control/assurance practices are industry leading. Meta constantly monitors materials through the entire production cycle to ensure they are making a safe, effective product every time. I've been working here for three years and have not had a negative interaction in that time.

Cons

A few years ago Metagenics had turn over at the top of the organization and an ownership change. Naturally, not everybody was pleased with these changes. Some have not agreed with the changes that the new management implemented and take to the internet to bash a company that IMO makes strides to improve everyday. Metagenics is committed to anyone who shows up to work everyday read to make a difference and put in the effort to succeed. Any organization this size is going to have a it's short comings. But I can honestly say that Meta strives to create a fun, nurturing work environment for those who wish to partake.

Keep up the hard work. Do not let the opinion of a vocal minority detract you from your goals.

Warehouse Supervisor

I worked at Metagenics

Pros

Steady work, steady pay check that is it.

Cons

This company only thinks about the upper management, and the company does not care about the employees. There it no incentive, no bonus, very little raise if at all. I would work for another company not Metagenics.

There is know advancement with Metagenics.

Working at Metagenics

I worked at Metagenics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company has lots of nice people but not in Human Resources.

Cons

The worst Company I have ever worked.

I think you already terminated everyone I had issues with.

I agree most of these reviews must be false. No one I know feels this way about this company

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Metagenics full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Free lunches occasionally at corporate office.

Cons

Now owned by Amway - Poor leadership, no appreciation for employees or recognizing talent. No advancement potential as management continues to bring in outsiders without any industry experience. Have had product contaminated with deadly drug, lead and allergens. Misleading label claims on powdered products. Recalls not handled properly IMO and new products are not innovative. Management doesn't follow healthy lifestyle and it is obvious and embarrassing when they are in front of customers.

Promote from within and learn about our customers. They are not the same as when you were in the consumer goods market business. At least pretend to eat healthy when you take our customers out for meals and don't give tobacco and alcohol as rewards. This, I would think is simply common sense when working in the healthcare industry.

Jan 13, 2015Community

We welcome you to discuss your concerns with us and are deeply puzzled by the views you express. Metagenics values the highest quality in our products and strives to treat all employees with ... More

Biggest mistake of my career - don't believe the false reviews

I worked at Metagenics

Pros

Beautiful location, (some) real good people, great product

Cons

Upper management is corrupt (countless law suits) Disagree or have a differing opinion (though they "say" their doors are open), you'll eventually be terminated. The CEO brought many of his under qualified yet close buddies from a previous company and is allowing them to run the Metagenics straight into a dark hole. Great product but a lack of leadership to pull it through. NA sales consistently under goal, HR is inexperienced, unapproachable and will not advocate for you. It's all about who you know and how much of your integrity you're willing to give up to be successful. DO NOT belive the previous reviews. No company is perfect, but Metagenics under the current leadership tops the list as one of the worst companies to work for in the OC by many of its current and previous employees, hands down. Made the mistake of not considering the reviews with much regret. If you must accept their offer please do so with the intent to continue to pursue other opportunities. Unless you are in the right department under good leadership (marketing-creative services, event planning or customer service) you will be miserable and overworked. Sales should be avoided if at all possible. Best of luck!!

Wake Up!! Change in leadelrship is vital to the success of this once thriving organization. A few lunches or an outing here and there does not compensate for the low morale by those being trampled on by upper management.

Dec 3, 2014Community

Thank you for your feedback. We’re sorry to hear about your experience. We are always receptive to ways we can improve upon our sales force effectiveness.

In the last year, we have rolled-out
    ... More

Noteworthy company overshadowed by misguided leadership.

Former Contractor - Senior Systems Engineer in Gig Harbor, WA
    Former Contractor - Senior Systems Engineer in Gig Harbor, WA

I worked at Metagenics as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

The company headquarters is located in Aliso Viejo, Ca. The WA campus is in a gorgeous setting just outside downtown Gig Harbor and easy to locate.

Department teams and projects were productive and enjoyable. There's a handsome level of politics and lack of formal project management, but that's not unusual for companies of similar size and growth.

I particularly liked their MetaThanks program allowing peers to nominate a person that supports the company values and culture. This is a rarity for IT and I enjoyed learning specifics on the value of contributions.

Cons

Sadly, the positive experience with other department was overshadowed by horrible experience with my own team. Iinitial challenges were based on getting permissions to do anything. A probationary period was understandable, but given the pay rate and contract-to-hire position, I hoped that I would be able to immediately contribute.

I was assigned a single project to migrate several SharePoint sites into a single site. Every request for permissions outside of that project was met with "you're only a contractor and if you can't do what I'm asking, this isn't going to work out". Threats of losing my job continued almost weekly until I told leadership I would promptly request to be placed elsewhere. It became very clear that this was not a career position, but rather a highly discounted SharePoint Consulting position that would end with this project. Discounted because my SharePoint rate is over double the offered rate and this position was clearly being sold under another job title.

There are close personal relationships between leadership and some team members which interferes with sound decisions and morale. Communication skills are similar to ranking military officials barking orders and expecting results with no discussion. Inappropriate communication and treatment is tolerated out of fear of losing what they call "trustworthy" team members.

Department leadership has virtually no management experience. It's puzzling how the company can be so naive to appoint a person with such lack of ethics, experience and judgement. Allowing a single person to make and change policy at will, hire and fire outside the scope of HR and even step on C-level roles with their own ad-hoc policies. The dishonesty, misdirection and personal agenda of leadership is a serious problem.

The statement "enough talking, just do as I say" seems to be leaderships' approach to team building, morale boosting and career development. Team members often hold their comments and limit contributions for fear of reprisal.

Replace leadership in IT immediately. The liability of their communication, actions and treatment is going to cost the company in time. Since my exit, I've been thanked for speaking out as others couldn't. Ask the people that work in IT...assure them that reprisal is not tolerated and their feedback is valuable. Question all decisions made with technology and demand business justification. These things alone will show leadership is not qualified for the role.

Oct 22, 2014Community

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad to know you liked our MetaThanks program - we have been getting a lot of positive comments from our employees about this recognition program!

We

Great Company! Passionate about the industry while caring about employees

I have been working at Metagenics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Managers encourage career growth and support their employees in their endeavors. The company has many fun programs for employees to participate in throughout the year which makes it a fun place to work. This includes everything from food on 2 Fridays a month to more formal holiday events. Also, the company allows us to participate in the planning of employee events if you join team thrive. A growing company always has pros and cons. Change can be difficult but Metagenics does it's best to take care of employees.

Cons

Change and growth can be difficult. This is common in other growing companies as well and I expect that change in general will slow down.

Oct 2, 2014Community

Thank you for your review! As we build our culture, we are creating opportunities for development and recognition - you can see it in our MetaLearning courses and MetaThanks employee rewards ... More

Never a dull day!

I have been working at Metagenics full-time

Pros

What a fun place to work at, but it's not everyone's cup of tea. Since day 1, you start off on a busy note. This company is growing and the amount of work put in to develop amazing product and the people around to support it, is incredible. It's a well oiled machine here. I work with very intelligent people who are really great people in general. Coworkers are passionate, more perks I have ever enjoyed at a company, and it feels great to know that we are doing something to help people.

Cons

Challenges are that we are very busy, so if someone cant keep up the pace, it may be an issue.

Oct 2, 2014Community

Thank you for a realistic glimpse into your day. We are pleased you acknowledge the purpose and the passion from our workforce - we're focused on providing a great employee experience.

Great people!

I have been working at Metagenics full-time

Pros

People are great and they care greatly about their roles in the company

Cons

Management is disconnected and doesn't trust or empower employees.

Oct 2, 2014Community

Thanks for taking the time to share your feelings on the company. We are listening and hope you will come to talk to us about what you are experiencing. Our doors are always open.

Mixed bag of a company

Current Employee - Facilities Assistant in Gig Harbor, WA
    Current Employee - Facilities Assistant in Gig Harbor, WA

I have been working at Metagenics full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I worked at the Gig Harbor, WA facility. It is a nice campus. Well maintained facilities. Everyone there tried to promote a culture of healthiness.

Cons

The company refuses to pay competitive wages so there is a ridiculously high turn over rate, especially in production. I'm sorry $9.50 an hour is not competitive, unless your competition is McDonald's. It's almost as if they prefer a revolving door of employees instead of developing a few good people and paying them a wage worth staying for. A hard work ethic only gets you so far... If you so much as have one black eye on your record, you are terminated without prejudice even if you have moved past the issue.

People only work hard for you if you respect them and you treat them like adults. Don't act like it's a privilege to work there. It's a privilege to have someone work for you who wants to give their time to make the company better. For a company that has been plagued with bad marks and reviews from all over the industry, it might humble you to allow people who work hard and have less than perfect records an opportunity to make you better. Additionally, I would hire an HR rep who puts the "HUMAN" in human resources and not one who views everyone as a number.

Oct 22, 2014Community

Thank you for your feedback.

We utilize a contingent workforce for an initial period which often leads to a long-term employment relationship. There are certain situations where we are not able