Metals USA

Be The First To
Add Photos

Metals USA Chairman, President, and CEO C. Lourenco Goncalves

C. Lourenco Goncalves

This was one of my best positions. I loved it!

Human Resources Manager (Former Employee)
    Fort Lauderdale, FL

ProsWork Independent, worked on important projects, trained, counseled and managed

ConsNone - I have no cons about this company- they were well rounded

Advice to Senior ManagementNone- Management was very professional, understanding and all times very dedicated to their work and company.

Frustrating. The company has tremendous opportunities, but poor leadership is hindering success.

Sales (Former Employee)

ProsWork-life balance is acceptable. Reliance acquisition of Metals USA will bring much needed changes, but it may take too long.

ConsPolitics and poor leadership are major obstacles.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemove self-interested managers. Talent is eroding because of politics and self-interested managers.

Terrible

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe company has enormous resources in the steel business.

ConsManagement there is only interested in promoting themselves and will do or say anything that benefits them to upper management. I was in charge of my own division and received minimal help from the division vice presidents. They were interested in only their jobs and how they can get promoted to the next level. They never did anything to help their new employees. If you work their in a management position, be ready to receive the minimal help from you superiors, it is all for themselves!

Advice to Senior ManagementThey all need to stop being intimidated by the CEO and the hierarchy of the company and stop being robots.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Electrical Maintenance Technician

Electrical Maintenance Technician (Former Employee)
    Tulsa, OK

ProsWorked with strong and experienced maintenance crew with over 5yr. safety record.

ConsWorked Night Shift 6pm-6am mon.-fri. and no helper most of the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn charge of all Maintenance responsibilities during night shift hours.

Worst company that I have ever worked for.

Account Manager (Former Employee)
    North Canton, OH

ProsGetting a paycheck.
    But promised commission and this was a broken promise.

ConsI've worked in the metals industury for over 20 years.
    This company has the worst General Manager and the worst Sales Manager that I have ever experienced Iin any job.
    Be prepared for negative assaults when you achieve major sales sucess.
    Sounds insane but its the real truth here.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper managment needs to replace both the General Manager and the Sales manager at this location. Your business is being injured by them.
    Your assets are being mismanaged and damaged.
    Your human assets are being injured and wasted

Ready to move on

Accounting (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsThere is not many positive things I can say. The option of having flex hours is good I guess.

ConsCorporate Accounting is a sweat shop. All work "NO PAY". No annual reviews are done so there are no annual raises. Insurance sucks. 2 days sick time a year which sucks for parents with small children. Employees are not appreciated. No bonuses or other incentives.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to your devoted, valuable employees. Give notice to those who go above and beyond. Don't blatantly show favoritism between your employees. Give financial compensation to those who show improvement as well as take on others responsibilities.

Dissapointing

ProsMost of the people in the office enjoy working together. It is a small office and a tight knit group.

ConsManagement is a joke. They push and push that we need to be a team, but they keep us seperated. Litterally. The office personell are not allowed to talk with the warehousemen.

Operations Manager

Operations Manager (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsOpportunity because of high turnover

ConsThis company should be a case study on poor business ethics and intimidation of employees. No job security and poor management. Don’t take a job at this company unless you are desperate or have no other options.

Why not to work for Metals USA

Sales (Current Employee)
    Newark, NJ

ProsIt is a large company. They have made it through more then one chapter 11 so they can probably make it through another one.

ConsThere is a lack of company ethics. They do not go to market in a responsible manner.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't say one thing publically then instruct employees to do something else.

The start of my steel career was here

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSmaller, family oriented and close knit. Definitely have a few key "older" people who are the glue of the company and strive to keep it's good reputation. Pretty good benefits.

ConsPay is not so good, definitely a "good ol' boys club" and jobs and advancement are based on who you know and how well you buddy up.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement definitely needs more professionalism displayed at this company

Worked for Metals USA? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Metals USA reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Metals USA CEO C. Lourenco Goncalves. All 12 reviews posted anonymously by Metals USA employees.